• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 772 Views, 10 Comments

Booklandia - Surprise The Pegasus



While reading a new Daring Do novel, Rainbow Dash accidentally sends Fluttershy into the story. Literally. Now, the only way she can get out is to make it to the end of the book unharmed. She'll need a bit of help, though. That help comes in Dar

  • ...
5
 10
 772

Booklandia, Chapter 4

Rainbow grunted as Rarity tied her dress up a bit too tight.

"Rarity, it's too tight!" Complained Rainbow, glaring at Rarity. Rarity tied a bow, then resewed the cloud back on to Rainbow's gown.

"I do apologize, but you wouldn't want to look all frumpy at the Hearth's Warming Ball, would you?" Rainbow sighed. "Just one more stitch here and- ha! I'm finished!" Rarity clapped her hooves together, and led Rainbow out to the mirror stand. For once in her life, Rainbow Dash looked girly. Her usually messy and tangled mane had been washed, brushed, and put up into a bun on the top of her head. The gown itself flowed out behind her, like a curtain billowing in a gentle summer breeze. The pearl strand and gold shoes completed the ensemble perfectly. Dash twirled, and looked herself up and down.

"This is awesome, Rarity. Thanks for making it." Said Rainbow. Then, Twilight and Pinkie trotted out of the dressing rooms in their gowns.

"Oh, hello Pinkie. Hello Twilight. All 3 of you look simply divine! Excuse me, Twilight?" Asked Rarity.

"Yes, Rarity?"

"Does Applejack need any help getting her dress on? She almost tore a seam at the Gala."

"Maybe."

"I'll go check, and then we can leave. Alright, girls?"

"Sure thing, Rarity." Said Dash.

"Ok then. Applejack, do you need any help?" Asked Rarity, opening a dressing room curtain slightly. Applejack strode out into the main room, chest puffed out proudly.

"Nope. Ah' finally put on one a' yer' fancy tight dresses without rippin' it! Ha!" Boasted Applejack.

"Well then, let us be on our way!" With that, they left the Boutique.

.............

"Discord?" Asked Fluttershy. Then, Ahuizotl transformed into a very familiar draconequus.

"Well, it looks like you caught me." Said Discord, holding his mismatched paws up in the air.

"What do you mean by "testing me"? And, why would you do this to me? I thought I was your friend." Fluttershy started to weep quietly.

"But I am your friend, Fluttershy. This test was to see if you could learn my hidden lesson."

"D-Did I pass?" Fluttershy gulped.

"Hmm...let me think for a moment...no." Remarked Discord, walking up to Fluttershy with the Shadow Staff in hand.

"W-What's g-gonna h-happen to m-me?" Fluttershy stuttered quietly. Discord aimed the Shadow Staff at her, and grinned. Then, he fired.

Daring laughed as she flew out of the Temple, the Shadow Staff in hoof.

"Fluttershy was such a stupid mare. I'm friends with nopony, and I'll never be friends with anypony in the future." She said to herself. As much as she enjoyed the feeling of victory, there was a bit of guilt gnawing at her. She walked to the tree line, but paused. Fluttershy's words ran through her mind. "How could you do this to me!? How could you? I thought we were friends..." Daring shook her head. No. She's not my friend. I don't have friends. Then, Fluttershy's desperate scream echoed through her head. She banged her hooves on her temples. An image of Fluttershy passed through her head. Chained to the wall, bleeding and helpless. Her face, smiling at Daring. Laughing with her. Bleeding. Blood everywhere. Tears. Desperation. Friends. Friends. Friends...

Daring threw the Shadow Staff on the ground and sprinted back to the Temple. Upon entry, a faint scream tickled her ears. Fluttershy. She ran back to the stone chamber as fast as she could. She tripped, and felt sharp claws raking her legs. Daring blindly kicked out behind her, scrambled to her hooves, and ran faster. Chunks of stone began to fall from the ceiling, and the Shadow Demons continued to attack her.

"Discord, what's gonna happen to me, since I didn't pass?" Fluttershy sobbed quietly.

"I'll show you, my dear." He said. With that, he fired the Shadow Staff. A large shadow washed over Fluttershy. She felt something scratch her. Then there were more scratches, and more, and more, until she was being clawed all over her body. Then, something, the same something that had scratched her first, began to dig its claws into her chest. Deeper and deeper it dug into her, easily breaking her ribs, and reaching her heart. Fluttershy let out an unearthly screech as she felt her beating heart being ripped out of her. Her vision faded, and the world went black.

Daring burst into the chamber, only to find out she was too late. Fluttershy was still chained to the wall. Her body was covered in blood and claw marks, and there was a large, gaping hole in her chest. Daring's vision was blurred with tears as she flew up to Fluttershy's body. She picked the locks on the chains, and sat with her on the bloody floor. Daring caressed Fluttershy's head in her arms, and sobbed. She stared at the blood all over, and wailed loudly into the shadow.

"Fluttershy...I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I used you for my own personal gain. I should have realized sooner that we were friends...and friends don't just abandon each other, right? Now you're dead. I...I could have saved you. I'm sorry!" Daring laid down on the floor, putting her head on Fluttershy's belly. She took Fluttershy's hoof in her own, and cried herself to sleep.

............

The Mane 6, now 5, stepped out of their carriage, and trotted into the castle. It was as magnificent as ever. Colorful garlands hung from the balconies and chandeliers, wreaths were out on all the doors, and everything was decorated in Hearth's Warming style. A large buffet table, complete with confetti cannons, stood on the left side of the entry room. Pinkie and Rarity trotted over to the buffet while Twilight ran off to go find the Princesses. That left Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Unsure of where to go, they made their way to the ballroom. There, ponies danced and chatted with one another, and enjoyed champagne and fine wine. AJ and RD stood awkwardly next to the dance floor while Octavia Melody played her cello onstage. Applejack was asked to dance, just leaving Rainbow Dash. She headed over to the stage, and listened to Octavia.

"Man, this sucks without Fluttershy." Dash said to herself.

"I know, right?" Dash turned to see Pinkie standing next to her.

"Sweet Celestia! Now tell me, exactly how the hell did you get here in 1 second?" Hissed Dash quietly.

"I walked, dur." Said Pinkie. The party pony's cheeks were a bit brighter pink than her fur.

"Ahaah..." Replied Dash, eyeing her friend suspiciously. Hopefully Pinkie had stayed away from the Cider fountain, as well as the Egg Nog. Bad things happened when Pinkie drank too much. Celestia knows how bad Cadance's bachelor party was. "Well Pinkie, let's go find Twilight, ok?" She asked.

"Why? We just got here, for pony's sake! Ooh, more Egg Nog!" Cheered Pinkie. Dash grabbed her by the arm, and was in the process of leading Pinkie out of the ballroom when none other than Fluttershy walked down the stairs. Her gown reflected the light perfectly, giving her a golden glow. She slowly walked down the stairs, eyes closed and a smile on her face. Dash felt her wings open suddenly, almost knocking Pinkie over. Sh*t! Stupid wings! Dash thought. Fluttershy opened her eyes, and when they fell on Rainbow Dash, she smiled wider and ran up to her, then threw her arms around Dash's neck and brought her close.

"Hey, Shy. I missed you." Whispered Dash.

"I missed you too, Rainbow." Replied Fluttershy. But she was just saying that to spare her friend's feelings. Who she really missed was Daring Do. Fluttershy broke the hug, and Dash's cheeks went red.

"D-D-Doyouwannadancewithme?" The words practically flew out of her mouth. Fluttershy nodded, and they went out into the dance floor. Fluttershy had to teach Rainbow how to dance, and after a few laughs and failed attempts, they were waltzing along with the other dancers.

"So..." Said Dash.

"So?" Asked Fluttershy.

"So how'd you just wake up like that?"

"Wake up like what?"

"Wake up from your coma, Shy."

"C-coma? I was in a coma? I thought I was in a book." Dash raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, you were in a coma. But what do you mean by "in a book"?"

"I mean I was actually in a story! I didn't know at first, and I went on an incredible adventure before I was told it was all a story."

"I'm confused, Shy. In a story? Please, just explain to me what the hell is going on with you." They stopped dancing, and just stared at each other.

"I fell asleep pretty soon after you left my house last week, and I woke up in a jungle. I was chased down by a tiger, but I was saved by a mare named Daring Do. She healed me, but I was kidnapped by a creature called Ahuizotl and taken to the Temple of Shadows. Daring came in to save me, but just took the Shadow Staff and left me instead. It turned out that Ahuizotl had given her a fake, and used the real one to..." Fluttershy trailed off, her eyes watering with tears.

"Hey, it's ok." Dash took her to the corner of the room, away from all the commotion. "What? What did he use the real Shadow Staff to do?" She asked.

"He used it...to torture me. He commanded the Shadow Demons to cut me up and claw me, and I was bleeding everywhere. And just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, he had one of them rip my heart out. Then I woke up in the hospital." Her voice cracked, and she broke down into quiet sobs. Dash hugged her tightly, but was still very confused. Daring Do? Ahuizotl? The Temple of Shadows? It all of a sudden clicked into place. Daring Do and the Temple of Shadows. The book. Ahuizotl. The Shadow Staff. The note at the beginning of the book. It was a spell. She had sent Fluttershy into the book by mistake. All of it was her fault.

"I'm so sorry, Fluttershy." Dash began to cry along with her friend. "I- I have to go use the filly's room." Rainbow then ran off. Fluttershy turned to face the crowd, wiped her tears, and walked up to the stage. She looked around, hoping to catch a glimpse of Rainbow, or Daring. Standing next to her was a familiar Pegasus mare. She had a golden coat, a grayscale rainbow mane, and rosy eyes.

"Daring?" Asked Fluttershy, her voice hopeful. The mare turned to look at her. Her eyes widened, and she walked up to Fluttershy, mouth agape. The mare turned to face her, and smiled.

"Ah, so I see you've read my books." She said. Fluttershy cocked her head quizzically. "Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm A.K. Yearling." She held out a hoof.

"Oh, um, I'm Fluttershy." She said, shaking A.K. Yearling's hoof.

"That's a beautiful name." Said A.K. Yearling. Her eyes grew a bit misty.

"Thank you." Fluttershy blushed. The author stared at her for awhile. "Is something wrong, Ms. Yearling?" Asked Fluttershy.

"I'm sorry to stare. You just look very familiar..."

"So do you, Ms. Yearling."

"Hmm. Fluttershy, would you like to accompany me to the castle courtyard?"

"S-Sure." Fluttershy replied. With that, they headed out to the courtyard. The moon hung high in the sky, the chilly Winter breeze blowing the last fallen leaves around. The two conversed for awhile, talking about the books and the concept of adventure.

"Adventure is out there. One only needs to go out and find it." Said A.K. Yearling, staring up at the moon. All of a sudden, the breeze blew up A.K. Yearling's ballgown, revealing her Cutie Mark. It was a compass rose, just like Daring Do's. Fluttershy's eyes grew wide.

"Daring Do..." Fluttershy whispered. A.K. Yearling looked over at her.

"What?" She asked. Then, she noticed that her dress had flown up, and pushed it back down.

"You're Daring Do, aren't you?" Asked Fluttershy.

"I do bear a resemblance to my character, don't I?" Said A.K. Yearling, smiling.

"Yes, you do. You do to every single detail of her. You even share the same Cutie Mark." Said Fluttershy, her voice bearing a hint of accusation.

"C-Cutie Mark?" She gulped.

"Mhmm. Now tell me, "Ms. Yearling". Why did you leave me at the Temple of Shadows!?" Fluttershy shouted, eyes welling up with tears. A.K. Yearling shut her eyes tightly, then tore off her ballgown. She fanned her wings and undid her ponytail.

"I...have a confession. I'm Daring Do. You're right, Fluttershy. I left you at the Temple of Shadows. I-I used you, and Celestua knows how much I regret it. I'm sorry. I don't know how you could ever forgive me. I can't even forgive me. I got you killed." Daring started to cry. Fluttershy said nothing: she just pulled Daring close, and gave her a passionate kiss.

Author's Note:

Challenge answer: Random Romance
Thank you all for reading my story :) I'm not really good at romance, so please tell me if there are any plot holes or things like that.

Comments ( 5 )

Well now that it's all over...

This story has potential, but I think it could use a little modification. Some of the characters' behavior just doesn't seem quite right to me. Questions were left entirely unresolved, and a few supposedly twisty moments just felt contrived. Why wasn't there a bigger reaction to Fluttershy's awakening? How'd she get to the Gala, and in the dress Rarity made for her no less? Why did Discord do what he did, and how has his relationship with Fluttershy been altered? Why are we only just seeing A.K. Yearling at the very end, and how can Fluttershy even halfway like her after what she did?

So many questions, not even close to enough answers. I think this story could have been stretched out a lot more.

But it's a good concept that, if modified a touch, could be a real gem. I suggest you keep trying, because your ideas are solid. The delivery just needs a little polishing, that's all.

I would recommend removing the tragedy tag. If the challenge was random romance then you succeeded as it was pretty random. Otherwise it was a decent story.

Last paragraph? I don't get it. This is all so confusing. If Fluttershy was killed, why is she here now? God this is too confusing. But great story, I'll give you that.

4093935 WELL LETS obvious shall we? Rainbow just SAYD that she's sended fluttershy in the book with daring which was actually real and made her look dead and so on.Basic fluttershy was not a part of the book at all and daring waits about them so technnial she was there.

Login or register to comment