• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 771 Views, 10 Comments

Booklandia - Surprise The Pegasus



While reading a new Daring Do novel, Rainbow Dash accidentally sends Fluttershy into the story. Literally. Now, the only way she can get out is to make it to the end of the book unharmed. She'll need a bit of help, though. That help comes in Dar

  • ...
5
 10
 771

Booklandia, Chapter 1

Rainbow Dash plopped onto her bed, crossed her legs, and opened the new edition of Daring Do. She had waited all night outside the bookstore, in the snow and ice. Now, it was time to read it. The newest book in the series, Daring Do and the Temple of Shadows. Rainbow could tell this would be the best book yet. She idly flipped past the Table of Contents and to the first page. As she read, she noticed a note was scribbled onto the bottom of the page. She ignored it and continued to read the story. At Chapter 2, Rainbow decided that was enough for a day, and she closed it. Rainbow looked over at the alarm clock. The time read 12:25p.m. Dash needed to be at Fluttershy's at 12:30. What the heck, Dash thought. Why not just go over now? With that, Dash put on her rainbow scarf, then took off.

A soft, white blanket of snow covered all of Ponyville. Clouds hung high in the sky, and a chilly breeze scratched ponies and animals alike with icy fingers. It was hard to make out Fluttershy's Cottage in the swirling white of Winter, but Dash managed to find it. The Pegasus alighted on the snowy ground, then walked up to Fluttershy's door. One knock was all it took. Fluttershy answered the door, and ushered her friend inside. The interior of the Cottage was warm and cozy, and a crackling fire cast an orange glow. Playful shadows danced on the walls. Fluttershy sat down in her favorite chair, and motioned for Dash to sit next to her. Rainbow took her seat.

"Oh, I'm so glad you could make it, Rainbow." Said Fluttershy.

"No problem. Why wouldn't I come over? My house is freezing." Replied Dash. Fluttershy's ears perked up. That meant she was exited about something.

"Do you want some tea? I just remembered that I got some this morning."

"...Tea." Said Rainbow glumly, giving Fluttershy the "are you f**king kidding me." look.

"What's wrong? It's ok if you don't want any, Rainbow Dash."

"I don't know, something about tea is just weird to me. I drink coffee. That's also why I never invite Pinkie over."

"I'm sure you'll like it once you try it." Said Fluttershy. She trotted into the kitchen and came back out with a tray, bearing filled cups and a teapot. It wobbled, some of the tea sloshing out and splashing on the floor. Rainbow got out of her chair to help her friend. Dash took the tray from Fluttershy and set it on the coffee table. Even though Fluttershy was 2 years older than she was, she still felt like it was her job to protect the yellow Pegasus.

"Thank you, Rainbow."

"Sure thing, Shy. Now let's taste this pansy "tea"." Dash took a sip of the piping hot tea. It tasted like bitter flowers, and it burned her tongue. And to her surprise, she liked it. Her rosy eyes lit up, and she took another sip. "Hey, this stuff isn't half bad!"

"See Dash, I told you you would like it. Ooh! Hold on a minute!" Exclaimed Fluttershy. She ran into another room, and came back out with 2 sealed envelopes. "This is what I invited you here for. I got these in the mail this morning. One of them was addressed to you." Fluttershy handed Rainbow Dash an envelope.

"Derpy must have delivered my mail wrong again. Oh well. Princess Celestia and Luna do cordially invite you to this year's annual Hearth's Warming Eve...BALL!!" Shouted Rainbow. Her gaze shot to Fluttershy. "A ball!? Like the kind where you have to dress up and dance ball!?" Asked Rainbow, frantic.

"...yes?" Squeaked Fluttershy, her invitation covering most of her face. Rainbow Dash was hyperventilating. She clutched the letter close to her chest.

"No, I can't go to a ball! Gotta go home...Daring Do! Need awesomeness! Thanks for the tea, Shy!" Rainbow ran out the front door and launched herself up into the snowy sky.

...............

The door to Rainbow Dash's cloud home burst open. Rainbow sprinted to her room, closed and locked the door, laid on her bed, and opened the Daring Do book. She calmed down as she read, but the wind kept blowing the book to the page with the note. Finally, Rainbow gave up and read it.

Into the story they go.
Their only hope is the end.
Say goodbye to those you love.
The book is all they know.

Rainbow read it again and again, but it made no sense. Say goodbye to those you love? The book is all they know?

"Some crazy pony must have written that." Huffed Dash, flipping back to her page.

Meanwhile...

Fluttershy sat in her favorite chair, sipping tea. Angel laid snoozing, curled in her lap. Fluttershy smiled fondly as she thought about how Rarity was reacting. She was probably bouncing around the Boutique, a wide grin painted on her face. Fluttershy suddenly felt her arm go limp, causing her to spill tea on herself. Then it was her other arm, then her legs, her body, and finally, her head. Her vision faded, and she was left slumped over in her favorite chair, tea dripping onto the floor. Angel looked up at his Fluttershy, and smiled. She was cute when she was asleep.

...............

Fluttershy tried to open her eyes, but they felt heavy. All she could see was the sun, blinding her with its harsh light. Fluttershy groaned. Her head hurt: it felt like it had been cracked open and poorly stapled back together. All she could do was roll over. The ground under her felt hot and rocky. Fluttershy tried to open her eyes again. The exceedingly bright world began to swim into focus. The blue sky was cloudless, and sunlight filtered though the green tree canopy above her. Slowly, Fluttershy rose to her hooves. Her legs wobbled, and threatened to give out under her. She shook her head. Fluttershy took a careful step, but stumbled and fell. Her ears were ringing, and the world was still a bit blurry.

"...Ouch..." Fluttershy shakily got to her hooves, then crumpled onto the ground and held her stomach. "Oh, dear...it hurts..." Her eyes were shut tight. Where was she? Why did she hurt so badly? Fluttershy vomited, then wiped her mouth and once again rose to her hooves. She turned and walked into the surrounding jungle. Anywhere was better than here. Maybe she could find her way out, and go home. Maybe...

A sense of impending doom was starting to wash over Fluttershy. She had been aimlessly wandering around for Celestia knows how long, and wasn't getting anywhere. She looked at the large, split tree to her left. She had passed it 25 times already. Fluttershy sat on the ground and hugged her legs to her chest. She was lost. Lost in the jungle with no food, no water, and whatever was out there, lurking, watching in silence. The sun's rays cast long shadows. Fluttershy shielded her eyes with her wings. It was then that she remembered: she was a Pegasus. Cautiously, she flapped her wings and rose above the trees. All there was was trees, as far as the eye could see. Hopeless, Fluttershy lowered herself into a treetop, and watched the sunset. The sky lit up in firey colors. Red, orange, and yellow, all laced with lavender purple. At least there was one good thing about this place. Fluttershy's eyelids closed, and she quickly drifted off into the Dreamscape.

................

Angel Bunny awoke from his nap, yawning and stretching. He looked up at his Fluttershy. She was still sound asleep, a bit of drool hanging out of her mouth. Angel hopped off her lap and checked the time. It was 4:45pm. Fluttershy didn't usually take 4-hour naps, but he paid it little attention and carried on with his day.

1 Day Later...

Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie sat around a table at Sugarcube Corner, all with warm drinks clasped in their freezing hooves.

"And then, I opened the closet-" Said Rainbow Dash, who was then interrupted by Pinkie Pie.

"What was in it!? Was it a cake!?" Shouted Pinkie. Twilight facehoofed. She knew that Pinkie Pie drinking hot chocolate with whipped cream and extra marshmallows wasn't a good idea.

"Pinkie! It's my story, so let me tell it! Jeez." Said Rainbow Dash. Pinkie sat back down in her chair and leaned forward, eyes wide. "So, where was I again?"

"Hang on for just a minute, Rainbow Dash. Has anypony seen Fluttershy? She was supposed to meet us here." Said Twilight. Everypony shrugged. Well, everypony accept Rainbow Dash.

"Fluttershy? She invited me over for tea yesterday." Replied Dash. Applejack snorted, some of her cider spilling out of her mouth. Dash shot her a death glare. The farm mare just exploded into loud bursts of laughter. Pinkie soon joined in, giggling uncontrollably. Rarity snickered.

"What're you laughing at, Applejack?" Growled Rainbow Dash.

"Oh, cheerio', darlin'! Would ya' like to join me for tea and crumpets!?" Laughed Applejack, using a poor British accent. She snorted loudly, and continued to laugh. Rarity couldn't hold it back anymore, and laughed so hard that her eyes watered.

"Girls! This is serious!" Scolded Twilight. The laughter quickly died down.

"Um, go on, Twilight." Applejack blushed.

"Twilight dear, it's alright. Fluttershy's probably at home. Maybe she forgot about our get-together. It's nothing to worry about." Said Rarity. Just then, there was a soft tapping on the door. Twilight's horn lit up, and the door swung open. A very cold Angel Bunny hopped in, along with the Winter wind. Angel hopped up to the mares and made frantic gestures.

"Um, sleep! Yer tired!" Guessed Applejack. Angel shook his head, then made his ears flop in front of his face.

"Fluttershy?" Guessed Twilight. Angel nodded vigorously, and mimicked being asleep.

"Fluttershy's asleep!" Exclaimed Rarity. Angel nodded and motioned for them to follow him. Twilight set 10 bits on the table. They all got up, and followed the white rabbit.

................

Fluttershy was rudely awakened by something knocking her out of the tree. The moon hung high in the sky, barely giving her enough light to see. She got to her hooves and walked over to where the object had pushed her. She felt around, and came in contact with something warm. She felt along it. It felt furry and muscular, like a big cat. And it growled at her. Her pupils shrank to the size of pinpricks, and she slowly backed away. It let out a ferocious roar, and all of a sudden, Fluttershy felt an immense, burning pain in her chest. She turned and ran away as fast as her legs could carry her. Blindly she ran, tripping over roots and bushes. She could feel its hot, sticky breath on her rump. There was another slash, another fire set to her flank. She ran faster, but the pain made her slow down. Tears came rushing down her face. It jumped, digging its claws into her hind legs.

All of a sudden, the ground ended. Gravity pulled her down, causing the beast's claws to tear all the way down her legs. An ear-splitting scream echoed though the jungle as she tumbled down a steep hill, dirt getting into her mouth and wounds. She stopped rolling, and just laid there, crying and bleeding everywhere. Because crying was all she could do.

................

The mane 6 entered Fluttershy's home, cheeks pink from the cold. There, slumped over in her favorite chair, was Fluttershy. They walked over to her and tried to wake her. Twilight shook her shoulder.

"Fluttershy...Fluttershy...get up, please." Said Twilight. She continued to snooze.

"Fluttershy, dear, it's time to wake up." Said Rarity, shaking her. Applejack was the next to try.

"Hey, Fluttershy! Git up, ya' missed Sugarcube Corner!" Yelled Applejack, stomping her hooves on the floor. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie exchanged glances, then nodded at each other. Pinkie started yelling, while Dash ran into the kitchen to get water.

"SHY! ITS TIME TO WAKE UP, SLEEPYHEAD! IF YOU DONT WAKE UP, DASHIE'S GONNA SPLASH YOU WITH WATER! WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP!!" Yelled Pinkie. There was no response from Fluttershy. Dash splashed her with ice-cold water. Anypony, no matter how heavy of a sleeper, would have woken up by now. Nothing happened. Fluttershy was still slumped over in her favorite chair, sound asleep. The mane 6 exchanged glances.

"Why isn't she wakin' up? Even Applebloom would've' woken up by now." Said Applejack, concerned.

"Yeah, Twilight...is this kind of thing normal?" Asked Rainbow Dash.

"I've read a few books about sleep, and nothing like this has ever come up." Replied Twilight.

"Should we go get Nurse Readheart?" Asked Pinkie.

"...Sure. Rainbow Dash, would you-" Said Twilight.

"I'm on it, Twi!" In a flash, Rainbow was out the door.

..................

Nurse Readheart stepped out from the examination room, a clipboard in her grasp.

"So, how is she? Is there something wrong with her?" Asked Dash. The rest of her friends nodded and leaned in close.

"Well...I'm afraid your friend is in a coma." Said Nurse Redheart. They all gasped in unison.

"But why? How did it happen?" Asked Twilight.

"We have no idea what caused it. Usually it's poison or a severe head injury, but nothing is wrong with her at all. She's perfectly healthy...We're not sure if she's ever going to wake up." Rainbow Dash was trying desperately to hold back a river of tears.

"But why!? This can't just happen! Let me see her!" Yelled Rainbow Dash. Nurse Redheart frowned, then opened the door to let them in. Dash bolted to the bedside, tears now streaking down her cheeks and onto the blankets. Everypony else stood by the door, watching in silent sadness.

"Fluttershy, what the hell!? How can you do this to me? You can't just leave like that! What happened to us always sticking together? I need you! You- you can't leave without saying goodbye..." Sobbed Rainbow Dash. Pinkie sat next to her, and wrapped a hoof around her shoulders. Dash leaned on Pinkie, her body shuddering with each hiccuping sob. The next to step forward was Rarity, then Applejack, then Twilight. They all sat there together, silently grieving for their lost Pegasus friend.

Author's Note:

Hehe...pacing...I'm terrible at pacing. The Challenge Answer will be announced at the end. Good luck, and thank you for reading!