• Published 18th Oct 2013
  • 1,902 Views, 11 Comments

A Crash and Hello - Flint Sparks



Big Mac and Ditzy meet for the first time when his cart is destroyed.

  • ...
1
 11
 1,902

Howdy

Big Mac sighed, enjoying the sunshine on his coat as he pulled the cider cart behind him. He loved the weight of the horse collar on his shoulders whenever he pulled something heavy. It was almost as satisfying as bucking trees all day. Not nearly as Applejack’s cooking, of course.

He had just left the market after a good day of business. The empty barrels were the product of a good day’s work: not a drop was left. Everypony enjoyed good ol’ Apple cider. He was lucky to have any for himself at the end of the day. Making a mental note to acquire a flask, Big Mac quickened his steady trot.

The cart bounced over a rock, causing his breath to elevate just the slightest bit. Fortunately, no barrel spilled over. Thanking his good luck, Big Mac continued his transport on the dirt road toward the farm.

As Big Mac continued down the road, he looked around at his surroundings. He noted with satisfaction that while the sun hung high in the sky, several clouds were scattered about and provided him with shade on his journey. Mac sighed in content as he kept pulling the cart behind him, barely breaking a sweat. He began to whistle a humble little tune as he kept on trucking along the path, keeping his eyes open for any more disturbances on the road. Fortunately there weren’t any.

Unfortunately, he didn’t watch the sky. Mac’s ears perked up as a strange sensation flooded through his body. He felt the hairs of his coat stand on end as the familiar feeling filled him with dread. It was the wind rushing against his body. Something inside compelled him to leap forward with the cart, despite the fragile barrels.

Boom.

Big Mac felt the weight on his collar disappear as he stood up.. It remained around his neck as always, but the ropes tied to it slackened with a sudden lack of weight. With a feeling of foreboding shivering through his spine, he turned around and looked at where the cart had been hitched.

His eyes opened in terror as he searched the area behind him for his cart. Surely it had been there just a few seconds ago, hadn’t it? Where was it? What had happened? His eyes locked onto the object occupying the space where his precious cider had once been.

A safe. A steel safe laid in a pile of timber ruins that used to be his cart.The cider barrels that he’d been transporting spilled over the ground and the broken planks scattered among the ruins. His jaw dropped as he began to stammer to himself in shock. “W-wha… B-but…”

A shadow appeared over the wreckage as a small, grey pegasus touched down. His jaw quivered in shock as the blonde pegasus shook her head, and then examined the wreckage. Her wings drooped and she lowered her head in shame. Big Mac shook his head and trotted forward.

“Uh… you okay, miss?” he asked, bringing the mare out of her pity as she looked up. His brow furrowed in confusion and worry as he looked at her.

“Uh, yeah…” she replied, averting her gaze and looking down at the ground. Mac couldn’t see her eyes with her mane in the way. She was like that one pony Applejack was always around. Butterfly. Shutterfly. Shy-Fluttershy!

Big Mac shifted his weight to the left and took a tentative step forward. “Something wrong..?”

“I’m sorry!” The mare threw herself at his hoof and latched onto it. “I’m so sorry!” she cried, sobbing into his fur. He resisted the urge to pull away and merely let the mare have her cry. After a few slower sniffs, he nudged her to grab her attention.

“It ain’t your fault, miss.” Her sobs abruptly ended.

She jerked her head up, revealing her lazy eye. “Yes it is!” she cried, tears flowing down her cheeks. “Just look at me!”

Big Mac shrugged. “I see nothing wrong with ya, just a pretty little pony.” A pony was a pony, no matter her appearance. As far as it concerned him, beauty was on the inside.

The mare shook her head, trying to reject the rising blush in her cheeks. She then made eye contact and leaned up to give him a better view of her lazy eye. “My eyes! They’re always causing me trouble and doing stuff like… this.” She turned her head and waved a hoof toward the wreckage.

“Aw shucks, miss,” Big Mac chuckled, to the mare’s confusion. He shook his head, grinning. “Everypony makes mistakes. Ah mean, ya should see mah sister from time to time. ‘Sides, them eyes? Them eyes look like a batch of good ol’ Apple cider. Prettiest things this side of ‘Questria.”

The mare blushed as her wings twitched in surprise. “Y-you really mean it?” She shook her head again, causing her wings to settle down. She sighed and looked up at the powerful stallion. “You’re not mad?”

Big Mac shook his head, smiling. “Nope. I’ve been lookin’ for an excuse to do some constructin’. Got me some nails to bang in, plus it’s good honest work.” Her ears twitched at his last words.

“Honest… work?” She scrunched her muzzle in thought, wondering if she could repay the stallion for her nuisance. She turned back to him and cocked her head.“Can I help?”

“Sure thang, miss. That’d be mighty kind of ya,” he said, turning around and flicking his tail forward. “Why don’t ya stop by the farm? I hope ya like apple muffins, ‘cause AJ is cookin’ tonight.”

Her wings shot up in anticipation. “M-muffins?” She’d love muffins, almost as much as she loved… well she didn’t like much else. But this stallion might have a good shot! After all, she never had an apple muffin before!

He smiled. “Yes indeed, Miss...”

“Doo! Ditzy Doo! I-I’d love to!”

He held out a hoof which she gladly accepted, standing up on all fours. Leaving the cart and safe behind, the two walked toward the farm together.

Comments ( 11 )

Great story:pinkiesmile: I don't see many fics with big mac as the main character anymore.

3364958
Wait awhile. As long as Fimfiction stays, I have a huge project in the planning stage. :pinkiehappy:

3364991
What you mean 'long as Fimfiction stays?'

3364999

one thing you'll learn on the internet is that a lot of things are temporary

I can't exactly place why, but I loved this story. I only wish it'd be made into a full-fledged thing instead of the brief one-shot it is now, but I digress. It was beautifully written and I have to agree with 3364958 that Big Mac isn't dealt with enough on FimFiction. Can't wait to see what this "huge project" of yours is.

Just one thing though:

“Doo! Ditzy Dop! I-I’d love to!”

You should probably fix that.

3365686
Nice catch. 'O' and 'P' are right next to each other and 'p' looks like an 'o' when you're typing... :duck:
It's short because I have to write 31 short stories by the end of October as part of a challenge. :raritydespair:
However, this could turn into a cute story between Ditzy and Big Mac. I might expand it once the challenge is over. :pinkiesmile:

3365921
Sounds like my personal challenge, The One & One-Thousand Daily Pony Challenge, put probably something more official like.

Oh, and I'd definitely love to see more of this... just saying.

Woa you actually did this hahaha. Now to read it

Cute story, I'd love to see more

A simplistic little read. It was nice. Thanks for sharing. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment