• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 719 Views, 8 Comments

CHX: The Solution - The Lunar Samurai



For decades, Changelings have slithered their way into Equestria, but after their existence is proven, the government takes a drastic measure to ensure their eradication.

  • ...
4
 8
 719

Purification

“Today marks the beginning of the Changeling removal initiative,” the stallion said as he stood at the head of a massive eager crowd of spectators.

“All of the procedures used are completely docile against every race of equestrian, but acutely lethal against every form of Changeling.” The crowd erupted in applause at the thought that they might soon be rid of the Changeling invaders who had filtered into their society for decades. They seemed peaceful enough, but recent rumors of a rebellion had driven the equestrians to usher them out of their society once and for all.

It was not an easy undertaking in the slightest. The weapon, a chemical known to the scientific community as CHX, was an extremely powerful nerve agent that assaulted the Changeling variety of magic and turned it against itself, killing it immediately. The Equestrians, however, had a different name for it: The Solution.


“It's starting,” Brewer muttered as he turned off the radio that rested on the old mantle above the fireplace. “I can't believe they would do such a thing.”

“Changelings pose a serious threat to the country's security,” his wife, Hyacinth, said from the kitched as she fed their colt another spoonful of food. “Besides, it's completely harmless against Equestrians.”

Brewer walked into the kitchen and sat himself down at the table. “But what about Equestrians who bred with the Changelings? What will happen to their offspring?”

“Hopefully the same thing that will happen to the Changelings, they will be eradicated as well.” Her comment displaying the vitriolic hatred that nearly every Equestrian had.

“Hopefully?” Brewer asked, his voice underscored with disbelief. “Why in Equestria would you want these pacifists eradicated?”

“Because they aren't pacifists; they are dangerous.” The room was silent.

“According to whom?” Brewer asked. “The wealth-hungry politicians? The conspiracy driven psychos? The warmongering hateful pricks that riot at the drop of a pin?” By now Brewer was spewing out his rhetorical questions in passionate shouts that were startling his child. The room grew silent once more as he realized the damage he was doing.

“Brewer, please,” Hyacinth said as she comforted her colt. “You are scaring Kale.”

Brewer let out a deep sigh and walked over to the window. “Its just...” his voice trailed off as he watched the ponies walking through the streets. Do I tell her? He thought. The Solution might not kill Kale, he is only half Changeling after all.

“It's just what?” Hyacinth asked.

“I just hate seeing such animosity against a group that has done literally nothing against anyone.”

“You don't know that, you've never even seen a Changeling.”

Brewer inwardly flinched at the comment. He did see Changelings, every day, in the mirror. “Exactly, you wouldn't have known somepony was a Changeling because they live among us in complete harmony.”

“Then what happened about that letter being sent to Celestia talking about a Changeling revolution? That's irrefutable.”

“There was no way that was sent by a Changeling. It was an obvious fake. No organization, Changeling or not, would have the ignorance to send such a threat, especially when their existence was rooted in fiction up until that point.”

“Still I want them gone. The sooner the Changelings are eradicated, the sooner we can get on with our lives.” Hyacinth said as she rocked her sleeping colt.

Our lives will be over. Brewer thought as he looked at Kale.

The radio came to life once more. “CHX was introduced into the water supply earlier today. If you find a deceased Changeling anywhere, please contact the authorities quickly. Cleanup crews will only come to locations that have reported a death.”

“We need to get out of here,” Brewer whispered.

“What?”

“We need to get out of Equestria.” His voice quiet yet holding a frantic tone.

“The Solution is completely harmless to ponies.” Hyacinth said as she gave Kale his bottle.

“It's not the poison, it's...” Brewer paused. Why don't I just tell her.

“What is it then?”

“It's... It's...” Brewer stammered as he tried to come up with a reasonable excuse to leave their comfortable life.

“It's paranoia,” Hyacinth interrupted “Brewer, you need to calm down. We are completely safe.”

Brewer took in a deep breath. “No... you are.”

“What do you mean?”

A loud knock on the door nearly made Brewer jump. The argument had put him on edge. “I'll get it.” He walked to the
door and cracked it open. Outside were two stallions clad in official attire. “How can I help you?”

“We are here to inform you that all deceased Changelings are to be reported via mail or direct communication to the head of the clean up crew in your sector.”

“I heard the radio announcement, but thank you for the reminder,” Brewer said with a calm smile, belying his frantic thoughts.

“You're welcome, hopefully this whole ordeal will be over within the week,” the stallion said with a smile that bit at Brewers soul. He smiled back as he closed the door.

Hopefully you will be over within the week, that's what you meant to say. Brewer thought as he looked back at his wife.

“What were you talking about before those guards interrupted?”

“It was unimportant,” Brewer said as he looked back at Kale. “But we still need to get out of here.”

“Why are you so afraid?”

“Maybe The Solution is lethal to ponies as well, what if people start dying by the masses?”

“You know that won't happen. CHX has been tested on every race dozens of times, its harmless.”

“Well what if the effects were delayed or something?”

“Brewer, you are hiding something. Out with it. Why do you want us to leave?”

Brewer steeled himself. “I'm a Changeling.”

Hyacinth looked at the stallion for a few moments before nearly falling out of her chair from laughter. “If you are going to lie,” she said as she caught her breath. “Then at least make it somewhat believable.”

“Why would I lie to you about this?” Brewer asked. He was taken aback by Hyacinth's disbelief.

“I don't know, but whatever you are hiding it must be pretty serious for you to say something like that.”

“Listen to me, we have to get out of here. They put the CHX into the drinking water, we only have a few hours to save our family.”

“Unless you tell me what is really going on, I refuse to leave.”

“But I just did!” Brewer shouted. “Why won't you believe me?” Brewer closed the curtains to the window, what was about to take place could cost him his life.

“I have known you for most of my life, why would I believe you were something so different like a Changeling?”

“Because we aren't that different.” Brewer said as he took on his Changeling form. Immediately the room grew quiet. Hyacinth sat in total disbelief at the sight of the creature infront of her. “Whatever you do, do not scream,” he said. “It could mean the end of us all, including Kale.” Hyacinth slowly nodded, her mouth still agape in utter disbelief. “We need to get out of here. The Solution will kill Kale, he is half Changeling.”

Brewer took on his pony form once more and began to quickly prepare the few items of importance that were scattered around the room. “We need to make sure we have everything we need for a one to two week journey to the Everfree Forest. Getting there will be rough, but I have some other friends who are also Changelings. The group of us have planned on this for several years, but now the plan has finally begun. We will leave by nightfall, tell any friends you have here that you are leaving on an extended vacation. We don't want anypony getting any ideas.” Brewer continued to rattle off the plans on how they were to escape fate. “Did you get all of that?” He looked to where Hyacinth had just sat with Kale. She was gone. “Hyacinth?”

A loud knock on the door echoed through the house. “C-Come in,” he stammered. Two officers stepped into his house. “Oh thank Celestia. Have you seen Hyacinth, my wif-” he froze. Hyacinth was behind the two officers, Kale was in her forelegs. “Hyacinth?”

“Is this the one?” The stallion asked.

Hyacinth looked at Brewer. “Yes.”

“What's going on?” Brewer shouted as the two guards stepped forward and seized him.

“You are under arrest for invading Equestria and attempted treason.”

“On what grounds?” Brewer shouted.

“We have reason to believe you are a Changeling.” The guards said.

Brewer panicked. He wrenched himself free of the grip of the guard and threw a kick at his gut. It connected, and sent him falling to the ground. He turned his attention to where the second guard had stood, but before he could react, an excruciating pain coursed through his body. The guard had delivered a bone crushingly powerful blow to the back of his neck. As he toppled to the ground he felt his body being lifted up and drug toward the door.


“This Changeling is hereby sentenced to death.” The judge said as he slammed the gavel onto his podium. The cheers of the crowd echoed through Brewer's mind. Behind him was a mass of ponies, most of whom glared at him when he looked in their direction. Before him was the judge, presiding over the trial, the same hatred burned in his eyes.

“Where am I?”

“Shut up you filthy pig,” a voice said from his left. “Soon you will be swinging from the gallows. That will teach you to try and overthrow our nation.”

“I did nothing,” Brewer whispered

“You were born, that's crime enough.”

Two stallions lifted Brewer and carried him outside. Amid the crowd that had formed around the courthouse he could make out the imposing image of a gallows. “I did nothing,” he whispered as they forcefully put his neck into the noose.

“Mares and Gentlecolts,” A voice started. The crowd grew quiet, save the occasional expletive that would erupt.. “Let this be a message to all Changelings within your ranks.” A stallion stepped over to a lever on the side of the platform. “Get out of Equestria.”

As his eyes closed, he saw a figure standing at the front of the crowd, it was Hyacinth. She was holding Kale. The hatch opened. As Brewer fell and the rope tightened around his neck his mouth echoed his plea of innocence, ‘I did nothing.’

Comments ( 8 )

Yet another story swept under the rug... :fluttercry: It wasn't that unique anyway. Just an experimental story about changelings.

Lunar! Not another story left in the dust.:fluttercry:
This was really good. I'm going to go promote it now. It deserves more views.

Sorry, but for me, this story isn't offering anything else but the same recycled demonization of ponykind as the fascist oppressors of the simpering, victimized Changelings that we see all the time in Changeling fanfictions with little to nothing else new to offer.

Look, I have no problem with stories dealing with the themes of prejudice and race relations; I find them to be themes with potential for great stories, but this story just goes for the same ham-fisted, over-the-top and reverse black-and-white morality approach to the Pony-Changeling matter that so many other authors in MLP fanfiction do; the ponies are collectively degraded into a society of dumbed-down, one-dimensional, genocidal brutes that would make the Reich proud and whose dialogue seriously reflects it, and judging by the description of them, this is also meant to be a swipe as their supposed privileged, corrupt and hypocritical society as the 'haves' to the Changeling's 'have nots'. Speaking of the Changeling victims here, well, yeah, that's pretty much all they are - the pitiful, woobified, and purely innocent victims who we are supposed to feel sorry for for being viciously persecuted by the ignorant, evil ponies.

This is by no means an attack on you as a person. I'm sure you're a great person. It's just that I've seen this so many times before and not only is it an affront to everything Equestria and pony society stands for in the show, but it's so recycled, it's become boring. Pretty much everything I expect to see from it is there and by the time of the main character's supposed tragic, unjust death, I feel nothing, though that's probably not helped by how short the story is. I don't feel sorry for the main character, I don't feel really even that much outrage and anger at the ponies, but instead, nothing.

Again, I've got nothing against you and I apologize if I have offended you in any way, but all I can do when it comes to these kind of stories nowadays is only this viewfromtheblueridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/facepalm.jpg

3349394
I'm going to assume you were the downvoter, and I totally get where you are coming from and I totally deserve the downvote (At least you have the balls to come out and explain the reason other than doing a drive by, thank you for that). This story was written without the typical care I usually give into researching cliches, something that I totally messed up big time with this story (Didn't realize it was that bad until I found a timely posted thread that described most of the hated changeling cliches. Almost all of which I used to their wit's end.). I agree, the society is one-dimensional, racist, kill-all-non-Equestrians bigots, I had the insane notion that this was 'typical yet reasonable'. Do not worry, my friend. This story was, as I noted earlier, an experiment, and here are the results.

*to self* Don't do it again you jackass. YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS.

Other notes that are not as important

I'm sure you're a great person.

I wouldn't be so sure about that :pinkiecrazy:

I apologize if I have offended you in any way

I'm not offended, quite the contrary in fact. I'm honored that you would take the time to go through and pick apart the story to help me improve.

Well at least I didn't cry this time, :coolphoto:

I didn't know that repressed Changelings was a thing... I guess I don't read enough Changeling fics; I think the last one was Friendship is Weird, but it didn't seem like that big of a deal.

3349448 This story gets a fav only so that i may remember how to avoid the same bs.

5477068

As it should be. Don't write like this, for it will not go well with you.

*spooky noises*

5477121 No offense but the ponies ARE a bit xenophobic. To the point that normal changelings wouldn't risk integrating with their society unless in desperation.

Login or register to comment