• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 572 Views, 9 Comments

The Time Before You - Fat1thatyoulove



It's been about a week since Twilight saw Celestia's Summer Sun Celebration, an event that changed her life, but how much has it really impacted the little filly?

  • ...
0
 9
 572

Chapter 3

Chapter 3 – Realization

Twilight's head lays quietly to the pillow as her front hooves sprawl out in front of her aimlessly to the empty bed besides her. The late morning sun has started to pour into the room as the day begins it start, usually the lavender filly wakes up with the first peak of the sun but today shes slept through it.

But her sleep slowly starts to come less of a hold over her as she begins to blink her eyes a little to the sun drenched bed she lays in.

However the sight her eyes bring in is bittersweet as she quickly sits up in the bed, "Awww, I slept in..." Her head swivels to the empty chair at the desk, but the missing stuffed doll is quickly brought to her sight as she looks to the toy thats fallen from the seat over the night.

The filly moves from the bed as she holds a slight smile to the toy, "Ms. Smarty Pants why did you jump from the seat?"

No answer comes from the toy as the sound of Twilight's hooves comes to the room, "Did you finish the list?"

Her purple eyes come to the mostly blank page as she studies the writing that she did before she fell asleep, "Awww Ms. Smarty Pants, you didn't do anything."

The toy takes up a purple glow as it floats to the table, but as it comes to sit on the desk Twilight blinks to it, "Hey...That was easier." She squints to the doll as she quickly shifts her eyes to the book Velvet floated to the desk, "...Do you think I could try those spells Ms.Smarty Pants?"

Twilight stares to the toy for a moment as the stitching of its button eyes slightly stare off into the room. A smile comes to the filly's face as she nods, "Ok, one spell and then we'll eat breakfast."

Her happy eyes go to the closed book as she pulls it close to her and begins to search for the few pages that showed easier spells. As she turns to the chapter she re-reads it out loud as she traces her hoof to the words, "Before doing a spell make sure to first do the bond book spell..." She squints to the rest of the sentence as she thinks over the next few words, "...This way the book will become...Hm, I should write that down."

The filly moves from the book as she takes the mostly empty piece of paper from in front of the doll as she begins to copy the word.

But her hoof moves fast as she pushes the two items away and looks back to the book, "...Any spell will work as long as this page is the target. " Twilight nods her head as her horn glows a faint purple that takes hold of the page. However as the low chime of her magic takes hold of the page a pop of magic comes from the book as it burst into flames.

Twilight blinks to the new pile of ash as she stares to it, but as her surprise begins to fade away she bites to her bottom lip as she looks over the burnt remains of the book with a slight whine as her eyes starts to flutter a little.

On the table the outline of the book that just burst into flames has been slightly sketched into it as Twilight stares to it still holding her confused whine, but her slight cry doesn't last long as the book pops back to the sketch marks with a faint resignation of purple magic.

Again Twilight blinks to the book, but her slight whine stops as she looks to the new page, her voice is a little shaky but she reads it aloud to the doll next to her as she speaks, "T-this spell will make this book the best practice tool for young fouls created by Magic for Derpys...This spell is a bonding spell that will make this book fill any one open bookshelf owned by the cast-tor."

The words don't really register in the filly as she pops her hoof to the page, but as she feels the page to her hoof a new smile comes to her as she pushes past her previous emotion with the kind of speed only a child could generate, "Ms.Smarty Pants...This book is really magic!"

A slight giggle comes from her as she continues to poke to the page, but she stops as her ear flicks to a slight feminine laugh coming from downstairs. As the laugh begins to place in her mind the filly turns to the stuffed pony, "Ms. Smarty Pants, Cadence is already here!"

The doll doesn't change its lifeless stare as Twilight happily moves from her seat as she starts towards the door, but her trot stops fast as she quickly comes back to the list she created. "I'll be back in a minute Ms. Smarty Pants!"

As her words end the lavender filly comes to the hallway as she holds a bright smile to the voices that start to get a little louder as she starts down the stairs.

"...So Cadence I wanted to ask you-..."

"Cadence!" Twilight's voice comes over her brothers as she rounds the corner of the stairs and sets her eyes to the two ponies sitting on the couch.

To the lavender filly that now picks up in speed the pink alicorn stands from her seat as she smiles, but her smile slightly fades as Twilight runs through her normal greeting, "Sunshine sunshine, ladybugs awake..." The alicorn follows the little game as she claps her hooves to the filly, "...Clap your hooves and do a little shake!"

Twilight completes her little game with a little giggle but the pink alicorn doesn't follow the last bit as she giggles with the filly, but it goes unnoticed as Twilight floats the paper towards her, "Can you help me with this."

To the words Shining gives a shifty smile, "Um Twilight i'll help you in a minute."

"No thats ok." A bright smile comes over Twilight's face as the paper comes to Cadence's magic, "Did you say yes to the dance?"

Shining freezes wide eyed as Cadence squints to the filly with a smile, "What dance?"

Twilight quickly continues as her excitement grows a little, "Shining asked you to the Summer Sun dance right?" From the words Cadence cocks her eyes to the frozen and stunned stallion as the filly continues as she taps her hoof to her mouth, "But i'm not supposed to tell you what he was doing in the bathroom because-..."

Shining quickly grabs the filly from the ground as he stands from the seat and floats the paper from Cadence's hoof with a nervous laugh, "Ha ha, so Twilight what do you want help with?"

The pink mare's horn sparks back up as she pulls to Shining's tail a little, he stops again as he holds his eyes from the pony that takes Twilight from his hooves and set her to the ground. But she gives him a sly smile as she takes the paper from his magical grasp, "So is this a list of words you need help with?"

Twilight blinks to Shining's slightly sad expression as she nods her head, "Um...Did I say something wrong?"

Cadence shakes her head as she turns the paper towards Twilight, "Well this word means that it can't break, and this one means that something’s simple..."

The pink mare happily traces her hoof down the list as Shining holds his gaze to the ground as he tries to slowly move from the room. But his trot is brought to a halt as Twilight starts to gallop up towards the stairs with the paper floating beside her, "Cadence do you want to see something I learned?"

A slight giggle comes from the pony as she nods and calls back to the filly that hasn't stopped her gallop, "I'll be right there Twilight." As the filly moves from the room she turns her gaze to the white stallion as her voice comes back in a slight tease, "So, what did you want to ask me?"

Shining quickly brings his slightly drooping head back up as he talks, "I-I didn't tell her to do that."

Cadence holds her smile as she cocks her head, "Do what?"

The young stallion blinks to her clueless smile as she continues to hold it, to her stare he stutters a little as he straightens his posture, "Um, would you like to go to the Summer Sun dance with me?"

She holds a smile as she trots towards the stairs with her head up high, but to her silence Shining follows her trot as the world around him slightly pauses.

Her silent torture that only lasted a few seconds to her ends as she nods to him, "Maybe, if you promise you won't be so shy about dancing."

A smile comes over Shinings face as he follows the pink mare towards the stairs.

- - -

The sun has moved a little past its height as the day continues to roll on, but even though the height of the day is over Cadence and Shining still hold their eyes to the excited filly as her happy face brought on from the simple spells she creates starts to become contagious.

"...See, I told you I could write with my magic now." The paper that floats in front of her face comes to face the two older ponies as Cadence speaks up a little as she looks over the slightly messy writing, "Maybe you should practice against something first, writing magical is a little harder."

Twilight nods her head as she starts to think for another spell, but her thoughts come to a halt as the sound of hooves come to the hallway. A face to the sound comes to the door as Twilight smiles to her mom's voice, "Thank you for stopping by so sudden Cadence, I don't know why Shinning can't just watch Twilight." The white mare holds her eye to the stallion for a moment.

But Cadence quickly waves her hoof to the comment as she smiles, "No trouble at all Mrs.Sparkle."

As her voice ends a deep stallion's voice comes to the room as the blue stallion comes next to the white mare at the door with a rolled up piece of paper in his left hoof. Velvet's horn sparks up in a low glow as she turns a smile to the filly as she speaks up, "Twilight, I think you're going to like your present."

The filly blinks to the comment as she watches the small rolled up paper floating over towards her, but she takes it to her hooves as she unrolls it. Her eyes blink to the gold and white text as she looks it over, but a wide smile comes over her face as she looks to a large stamped hoof on the bottom of the page, "I-is this?"

The two younger ponies poke their head towards the filly's stuttering as they try to look to the letter but there voices don't come up as the white mare nods her head, "Twilight, you've been accepted into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns and you go next week for an entrance exam."

The last part of the sentence doesn't come to the filly as she holds a wide smile to the words, but her excitement doesn't keep her silent and motionless for long as she starts to aimlessly jump around as she happily rushes through her words, "Yes yes yes yes !" Her jumping doesn't stop as she continues in her small circle but her voice changes as she speaks up in her bouncing voice, "I'm going to become the best student in Celestia's school ever!"

The ponies around the room give a slight loving laugh to the filly's happy nonsense as they watch her excited hops trailing on.

End

Author's Note:

Chronologically this story comes after The Land Before Us and is proceeded by The MAybe Series. For those that follow the other stories.

Comments ( 9 )

Yay first comment! This. Is. Amazing! I love it!

*usual stuff*~~~
good god... so few time lately~~~

3004571
If you enjoyed this kind of writing style you might like the other stuff i've done, this does tie into my other things.

3007199 work work work~~~ a FU*KING training @ work~~~ and when we're done with that one... BAM!... the next one... oh man dude... so for: Will read when I have time again ^^"""

3011474

Well hope you enjoy the stuff when you get the chance, I think you're still on the Land before them. ---->(you :ajsleepy:

3012771

lol, its not a bad thing now you get more to read :raritywink:

Login or register to comment