• Published 26th Jun 2013
  • 34,134 Views, 1,872 Comments

You Can Fight Fate - Eakin



Twilight discovers that the Elements of Harmony aren't as benevolent as she thought, and crosses time and space in order to stop them

  • ...
70
 1,872
 34,134

Bonus Content and Author's Notes

“I Have No Idea What’s Going On And I Love It!
A Quick Guide to the Plot/Characters/Themes/Deleted Scenes of the Time Loop Trilogy

First of all, thank you all for your favorites, upvotes, comments, and even just your views. It’s been a hell of a ride, and I wouldn’t have made it all the way through without your support and criticism.

So now that we’ve wrapped this all up I think it would be a good idea to take a step back and spell out what, exactly, happened over the course of this trilogy of stories. Of course, you’re welcome to your own headcanons. I’m probably gonna kick myself later when someone suggests something in the comments that’s better than what I actually did, and I won’t be able to claim it as my own. But this is the ‘official’ deal.

So. Harmony; how does it work? There are a lot of closely-related terms that are used by our characters, sometimes incorrectly or interchangeably before they know better. We’ll break it down into two things: the Elements and the Regalia.

First the Elements. These are the bigger and simpler of the two, the six virtues we’re all familiar with. Created the world of Equestria, and several others before it in the search for perfect Harmony. All living things possess it and generate it to a greater or lesser extent. But it turns out harmony is a lot like pornography; you know it when you see it but it’s tough to pin down in words. Plus that whole ‘free will’ thing keeps messing it up, but now I’m getting ahead of myself. Harmony doesn’t interfere ex nihilo in pony lives, but you can call on it for an assist, which brings us to....

The Regalia. Not actually all that powerful. I know that seems odd considering what they accomplish over the course of the show and the story, but they aren’t. They’re intelligent but not alive, and therefore lack that spark of harmony that living things have. They can’t create on their own, though they can push and prod at inanimate things and maybe slip a few gentle suggestions into your head. It’s not really story relevant, but in my mind their inability to create stems from the fact that they themselves were never created. They exist as an ontological paradox. Their job actually kind of sucks, when you think about it. They get dropped into a world full of imperfect and damaged parts and told to make it into a perfect harmony. They haven’t ever pulled it off on any other world, and by the end of chapter five it’s clear this one wouldn’t be any different. They’re sort of like temporal surgeons, excising bad outcomes and calling in their bosses to nuke them from orbit, hoping that whatever’s left afterwards will survive. They also don’t really ‘get’ living things. They see darkness and chaos and think ‘that’s bad and we should purge it’ rather than ‘yeah, that’s life.’ Hence their reforming Discord and weakening Luna. Being a physical embodiment of an abstract concept will do that to you.

So if they aren’t that powerful how do they make such huge changes to the world? Well, by drawing Harmony from their bearers. Blowing up a window or making lightning strike a particular point they can do on their own, but to rewrite something like Nightmare Moon, Discord, a changeling swarm, or Twilight they need a pony/ponies to activate them. They’re quite good at making little changes to bring about exactly that exactly when they want it.

So enter everypony’s favorite adorkable librarian and multi-time savior of all of existence. I absolutely love writing Twi (though I have a funny way of showing it, considering what I put her through over the trilogy). I envisioned her living thoroughly under the Regalia’s influence. Destiny and Fate are pretty important concepts in the show itself, and I didn’t want to depart too much from that (although obviously I did put in a counterpoint at the end of the last chapter). She was indirectly responsible for the existence of the Regalia via the time loop spell and her efforts to fix the subsequent damage. Like Star Swirl, I think she would have figured out the nature of the Elements on her own if she’d had as long to study them. Remember they’re limited in their influence most of the time and could only stymie him through increasingly suspicious accidents, and he eventually caught on. So the Regalia didn’t want to keep her around, and they didn’t want to kill her, so they figured that now that her work with the time loops and the Regalia was complete they would retire her. Everything that happens up through chapter four of Fate is completely in line with the Regalia’s plan, the culmination of which is getting her to sit still and provoke Celestia into blasting her and her friends so the Regalia can do a more thorough rewrite of their futures.

One more time: There’s a reason they aren’t called the Elements of Niceness

So what happens in chapter five? Well, for whatever reason the Regalia couldn’t finish what they started. Even though they put her in what would have been a very nice lifetime and rejigger her memories (I rewatched Magical Mystery Cure about five times over the course of writing this, although I’ve never liked that being knocked out of alignment with their destinies made the rest of the Mane Six so miserable, so I did some rejiggering of my own) the power of her friendships ultimately prevail. Having achieved a transcendent understanding of the nature of the Elements she politely invites the Regalia to go buck itself. The music metaphor is one that I’m really happy with, and yes, I was kicking this around in my head all the way back when I wrote about Luna and Celestia in Stitch. I sprinkled so much continuity porn through this series, and I hope if anyone does go back and rereads the series from the start they find that they can spot things that they missed the first time through, or hidden double meanings in some of the dialogue. After all, what kind of time loop story would it be if you didn't benefit from starting from the beginning again?

-----------------------

Okay, that’s story. Let’s talk characters.

Twilight: I outlined how much I love her above, but I have to say it again. Smart, snarky, adorable, she’s the whole package and a blast to write. An author can’t ask for much more than a protagonist who feels equally natural when she’s delivering an epic rant to the local Powers That Be as she does collapsing in a neurotic little breakdown. She’s like a pony Harry Dresden who leans a bit more heavily towards book smarts. Of course the FiM writers deserve the real credit for giving her to us in the first place. Here’s hoping for more of the same in Season Four, princesshood notwithstanding.

Azalea: Alright, let me be upfront here. Writing romance is hard, and OC romance doubly so because you don’t have that collection of character moments that really come to life in the show. I like Azalea. Right from the start my intention was for her to be the normal girl, the mare next door, and a fresh perspective that I could use to point out how insane Twilight’s life really is. That said, I went too far with making her not special, and ended up with ‘bland,’ at least at first. She’s been the catalyst for some great moments, and I enjoy breaking Twi’s heart with those fights and confrontations. Plus I got to turn ‘weather vanes’ into a running gag. I’m happy with the scene on the pond too. Between Stitch and Fate I took a hard look at her. She was over the self-esteem thing, more or less, and I needed somewhere to go with her arc even if she wouldn’t be a huge part of Fate, I didn’t want to admit defeat and just disappear her. So I decided to turn lemons into lemonade. I had this whole ‘transformed changeling’ thing from Hard Reset that didn’t really have any payoff or development during Stitch, so I decided if she was going to be a bland and uninteresting pony who fell in love with Twilight much too quickly, I was going to give her a good reason to be. And oh, look at that, Twilight’s grown close to a mare who can understand and empathize with what it feels like to go through a life-altering physical transformation because of firsthoof experience. Bonus. Could have been better, but I learned a lot through her.

Star Swirl: So much fun. Such a jackass, but not irredeemably so. The pony best suited to giving Twi a run for her money when she goes full-on Twilight Snarkle. Honestly, had I not made Twilight a lesbian those two would have hooked up and Twilight would have ended up her own great^50th grandmother. Somehow. Still, I like him with Luna. Both are legends, and strong, abrasive personalities that lends their relationships a certain bipolar quality. I can’t hate the guy too much though, Shooting Star is the ultimate karmic punishment. If I had to point out a major flaw in how I wrote him, it’s that he’s TOO similar to Twilight.

Queen/Princess Sparkle: Oh man, where to start? If I had to pick one single stand out original character from the entire trilogy... well I’d probably pick Home Run, but Queen Sparkle is a close second. She was originally going to be just a one-shot little ‘what if’ in an alternate ending. I just want to hug her, but if I did she would probably tear my head off and lay eggs in my brain. She’s the most powerful and also the most pathetic character in the story, a haunting reminder of what most of us would end up as if we were stuck in the same situation Twilight was and had our hope extinguished. Driven by the desire to survive, and then after Twilight Prime’s first visit an uncompromising desire for revenge over the one element of her situation she couldn’t repeat and control. She even got her own spinoff fic so I could plumb that particular darkness. She was lying about so much in the loop when we looked in on her as Princess Sparkle, from how many times our Twilight had been there to what her spell would do. Ironically, telling Twilight that she was a good liar was probably the most honest thing she said. Gosh, I wonder how she turned out, all the way in the end. You know... I always have enjoyed it when movies have one more extra scene for the people who waited through the credits...

Pinkie: Like writer cocaine. Both of her chapters were written in a blurry rush over just a few hours each. I maintain the secret to writing good Pinkie is to make sure that even at her wildest she’s grounded enough to stay relatable. She can’t say just anything. That wouldn’t be funny, just random. What she can do is say something so off the wall that while you would never say it in response to something in real life, you’d wish you had. It’s a tricky balance, but very rewarding when you thread the needle successfully.

Morning Glow/Shooting Star: Ultimately I wish these two had more to do, and a more active role in the story’s resolution. They feel, to me, a bit too much like flat props to let the grown-ups be parents rather than fully realized characters of their own. Still, it was a blast to write ‘bitchy teenager,’ Shooting Star is easily my favorite of the pair. And once I realized that Equestria had a new Prince (in character and standing, if not in title) then teasing RariGlow became the obvious next step.

---------------------

Themes! For those few of you still with me by this point.

If I had to pick one theme to sum up all three of these stories, it would be “Second Chances’ with a corollary of “Forgiveness.’ It manifested in a lot of ways. The Regalia used Star Swirl’s ‘Amulet of Second Chances’ to manipulate his behavior and create a false sense of urgency by letting him die and come back, within limitations. Obviously, in a time loop you have an unlimited supply of second chances, but on the other hand as Azalea pointed out at the lake eventually you have to accept an outcome and move on or you’re, well, Queen Sparkle. Both she and the Regalia were characterized as having no capacity for forgiveness at all. The Regalia have an impossible set of standards for ponies to live up to and wipe out entire worlds that don’t meet them and Queen Sparkle can’t even conceive of why Twilight wouldn’t put Azalea through a horrible death for being a changeling. Meanwhile, Twi picks up a greater and greater capacity for it, even trying to reconcile with Star Gazer back in her own timeline in the end.

Also, one that sort of caught me by surprise was how much parent-child stuff cropped up in Fate. I think almost every major character is a parent to or child of one of the others, although in Twi’s case it’s a temporary development. I don’t think there was anything specific I was trying to say about it, but I definitely noticed it popping up a lot. It’s just an inherently rich dynamic to be tapped (or a cheap source of feels if you’re feeling less charitable. Although I tried to keep it a little more organic than that). Feel free to try to armchair-psychologist your way into my psyche in the comments.

------------------------

Hmm.... what else is there to say... You go through a lot of ideas in the planning stages of a story like this. One rejected one would have been a one-liner suggesting that Discord was Home Run’s father (left ambiguous because ‘he’s probably joking’). Originally Princess Sparkle was going to join the bad-guy adventuring party, and have some kind of crazy crack ship going with Nightmare Moon. That got reduced to just being that one little anecdote Princess Sparkle has about how she spent a couple of loops of flirtatious back and forth while simultaneously trying to outmaneuver one another on a grand scale. And I did consider hooking up Shooting Star with Morning Glow and having Twilight be descended from them, but ultimately the incest angle turned me off. Sleeping with your eternally young great great great etcetera grandmother is funny, first cousins is a lot more squicky. Plus, Shooting Star is like fifteen and Morning Glow is Mane-6 aged.

Also, there a brief period before I decided that Princess Sparkle was lying where her spell would have brought together an army of identical Twilights from all the slightly-different timelines that now existed from main Twilight passing through the loop a bit differently each time. Then the thousand-plus identical copies of her would have combined forces to completely beat the Regalia down. Felt it was too cheesy, overly timey-wimey for an already intricate time travel plot, and I liked the Magical Mystery Cure redux ascension a lot better. Less epic, but more interesting.

Speaking of rejected timey-wimey bits, I also had an idea for a gag where Twilight’s feeling hopeless and wondering what they should do next when future Twilight appears. Reflecting on the lesson she learned in It’s About Time, she shuts up and asks future-her how she solved the central conflict. Only for Future Twilight to bitterly inform her that, while she knows the solution, all she was told when she was in Present Twilight’s position was that Twilight’s milk went bad two days ago and to get more on the way home. They then snarkily commiserate with each other about how much time travel sucks. And of course a few chapters later Twilight sees it from the other side when she travels back to close the loop.

Then in the final chapter, she remembers to buy milk on her way home from the post-adventure celebration, only to discover the milk she had already wasn’t actually going to go bad for four more days. The ‘warning’ never meant anything. Cue facehoof. Tossed the gag for being unnecessarily complex and distracting, but salvaged the “warning from another time that your milk went bad,” for Twilight’s rant about hating prophecies.

So in the end, special thanks to all my prereaders. Luminary and his army of proxies through which he haunts me (so far just one guy on the internet), Midnight 'Cyanobacteria' Herald, and Dawn 'My Little Ostrich Needs To Be A Thing' Scroll and anyone else who read and commented my drafts.

And I guess that’s everything! Thanks again guys! We’re all done.

...Oh what the hell. One more chapter.