• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 11,584 Views, 49 Comments

The Disturbing Dreams of Twilight Sparkle - pjabrony



Twilght Sparkle is having terrible nightmares and cannot sleep.

  • ...
9
 49
 11,584

Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie

Twilight heard voices outside Luna’s bedroom and got up to investigate. She found Pinkie Pie chatting with a royal guard.

“When did you get here?” asked Twilight.

“After you left, the rest of us caught the next train to Canterlot. It took the long way, so we just got here. The others are putting their stuff in their rooms, but I really wanted to come see how you were doing. How are you doing, by the way?”

“Maybe a little better. Princess Luna and I stayed up all night.”

“Hey, that’s great, oh, but I have a question I wanted to ask you, Twilight,” said Pinkie Pie.

“Fire away.”

“Well, given all the books you read. . . “

“Yeah?”

“How come you’re still such a know-nothing dumb-o stupid imbecile who isn’t very intelligent?”

Twilight looked at her quizzically, then everything made sense to her. Pinkie had adopted a mean look on her face, but slowly her mouth quivered. Both ponies burst out laughing.

“Oh, Pinkie!” said Twilight, “We finally found the one form of humor that you can’t do: insult comedy! Really, that was awful delivery.”

“I know, right? I messed up the punch line and I couldn’t even keep a straight face afterwards. Actually, I was worried that you’d think I was serious, which is why I tried to be so over the top that you’d know it was a joke, but that kind of took all the oomph out of it, you know?”

“You’re right. What put it into your head to try out something like that?”

“Well, I’m not really sure. I just got here and thought, ‘Hey, I should go be really mean to Twilight.’ And then I thought, ‘Why would I do that? Twilight’s my friend.’ And then I was all like, ‘Do it!’ And then I was like, ‘Make me!’ And I was like, ‘Wait, I’m me. If anypony can make me do something it’s me!’ and eventually I decided on that joke.”

“Well, word of advice: stick to parties and straight happy laughs.”

“I think you’re right,” said Pinkie.

“Well, now that that’s done with, would you like to see some cool magic?”

“Cool magic? I love magic! And I love things that are cool! And if you put those together it’d be like coolness, which I love, and magic, which I also love, together!”

“Exactly, Pinkie. Now, I’m hoping this works. I think it will.”

Twilight’s horn glowed, and on her back two more glows appeared. From those began to grow two tiny buds, which then expanded and unfolded, spreading out into large, feathery wings. She flapped them gently and rose a few inches off the ground.

“Ooh,” said Pinkie, “That is cool. But wait, unicorns can’t just change themselves into pegasi or alicorns! That’s a rule. Otherwise there would be no difference between the types of ponies.”

Twilight thought about how to explain. “Pinkie, what if. . . just for now. . . the rules didn’t apply? Or think of it as magical dress-up.”

That sated her. “Ooh, dress-up! Everypony loves to play dress-up! And with those wings and your coat you look kind of like Princess Luna!”

“Huh? But she’s dark blue and my coat is lavender.”

“Oh, well, to tell you the truth, I’m sort of color-blind.”

“Really? But you love color. You’re always decorating with colorful balloons and streamers, and you like to watch rainbows.”

“Yeah, well, that’s why. If things are in vivid colors, then even I can see them. But when things hover between blue and purple or red and brown, then I lose a lot of what other ponies can see. I try not to let ponies know. I’m sorry.”

“No need to be sorry,” said Twilight, “I don’t mind being compared to Luna.”

She pointed her head at her flank and the shimmer of magic appeared again. On the right side of her cutie mark a white crescent moon appeared. It made the whole mark look like a magical star going nova in the brightest part of the night sky.

“You can change your cutie mark too?!” said Pinkie, “Something funny’s going on around here.”

“Maybe, but it’s nothing to worry about. Why don’t you try some changes to yourself?”

“Huh? But I don’t even have a horn.”

Twilight thought about that. “No, but if you did have a horn, then you could use its magic to grow yourself a horn.”

“Now that’s some Pinkie Pie logic right there! Well, if you’re going to dress up as Luna I might as well be Celestia.”

Pinkie concentrated, and in a flash a long thin horn appeared on her forehead, and it began to shine magically. Once again great wings spread out from a bare back.

“Oh, this is so awesome!” said Pinkie, “Although, I match even less than you. I may be color-blind, but you’d have to be really silly in the head to think that Princess Celestia was pink!”

“Definitely.”

Pinkie Pie bent her head back and made her horn glow, and around each of the three balloons on her flank a sunburst appeared.

“Now I definitely look the part. Hey! We can even role-play!” she said, and adopted a faux-serious tone. “Now, Luna, shall we away to the square to allow our faithful Equestrian subjects to revel in the splendor of their princesses?”

“Oh, yeah—I mean, er, ‘We think that would be a capital idea, dear sister.’”

Both ponies broke up laughing again, then they flew gently out the window.

In a courtyard of the castle Rainbow Dash was pacing restlessly. The converted alicorns hovered over her. “Hey, Rainbow Dash! Check us out!” said Pinkie.

Rainbow, confused by hearing Pinkie Pie’s voice above her, looked up. “Whoa! What’s with you two?”

“We just thought that you needed some competition among your friends for who’s the fastest flyer.”

“This is too weird. It’s almost like when all our pets—“

“It’s just a kind of game,” said Twilight, interrupting. “Just for today, play along as if you could do anything you wanted.”

“Anything, huh? Sounds a bit freaky.”

“No, really, Rainbow!” said Pinkie Pie. “Twilight and I changed ourselves into alicorns. You could be one too!”

“Well, if I could change myself, rather than that I think it would be awesome to be a dragon.”

Rainbow found herself growing to many times her size. Her skin turned scaly and her mane started to blend with her hide. Soon she had a scintillating spectrum of scales interspersed with light blue ones, and the sun made them shine like mirrors. Her tail twisted and lengthened, and spikes in varying colors sprung out. Her face lengthened and she grew a frightening number of razor-sharp teeth. She leaped high in the air and soared all the way to the highest tower of Canterlot Castle, then dived back down to Twilight and Pinkie, sending them diving for cover.

“I take it back. This isn’t freaky; it’s way cool! Let’s go show the others!”

“Actually, why don’t we go show the others so you don’t give them all heart attacks?” said Twilight.

“Oh, right. Good idea.” Rainbow Dash’s voice hadn’t changed, and it was funny to hear the light rasp coming from a creature more suited to deep bellowing.

Pinkie and Twilight returned to the castle and found the room where the other three ponies were staying. As they entered, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rarity stood up, confused by what they saw.

“Are you two relatives of the princesses?” asked Applejack. “’Cause you sure look like two of our friends.”

“Not exactly,” said Twilight.

“Oh, my,” said Fluttershy. You even sound like our friend Twilight.”

“It’s me, Fluttershy, me and Pinkie Pie. We just. . . changed our look a bit.”

Pinkie said, “Twilight explained it to me as like a dress-up game. You can do whatever it is you want with yourself!”

“Really?” said Rarity. “You mean, my entire body as a canvas without limits? I could be even more fabulous than I am now! Even when we visited Cloudsdale I thought I was a bit garish, but if I could magically change my mane, my figure, my make-up. . . i-dea!”

She trotted to the front of the mirror and watched in joy as she was able to fix imperfections in her skin and experiment with different looks. As she was enraptured, Pinkie spoke to the rest.

“We still have to show you what Rainbow Dash did when we told her,” she said.

“Hey, did you two explain it to them yet?” came Rainbow Dash’s voice as the dragon hovered next to the window. Fluttershy panicked and hid under a table. Applejack reared.

“Now what the hay is going on here?”

“AJ, trust me, everything is all right,” said Twilight. “It’s just that, for now, for here, we all have a chance to do magic beyond what anypony’s ever done, and fulfill our hearts’ desires. Isn’t there anything you’d like to change about yourself?”

“Not really. I’ve always been happy to just be a pony.”

“Anything at all, then. Think of it as a wish.”

“Well, truth be told, having to run off from Ponyville so fast, I do miss the family. Actually, beyond just Apple Bloom and Big Mac and Granny Smith—do you remember the first time we met, Twilight? There was a big Apple family reunion. We haven’t done that in a long time. I’d really like to see them all again.”

Just then a commotion arose from outside the castle. Applejack went to the window, trying not to be distracted by the Rainbow Dash-dragon, to see an awful lot of ponies in various earth tones milling about.

“Well, hey there, Applejack,” one of the ponies called.

“Braeburn? What’re you doing here?”

“Had some business in Canterlot, and as it turns out, by sheer coincidence, so did every other Apple from everywhere in Equestria. Now, don’t that just beat the band silly?”

Applejack looked over at Twilight for a moment, then turned back to the window. “It sure does, cousin. Gimme a few minutes and I’ll be down.”

“Fluttershy,” said Twilight, “How about you? What are you going to do?”

“Oh, I don’t have anything much I want.”

“Come on, there must be something.”

“No, there really isn’t.”

Pinkie Pie chimed in. “But it’s anything you want! You could be super-fast or super-strong or super-beautiful or super-super! You gotta want something!”

“Honestly,” she said as she looked down at her hooves, “Seeing all of you made so happy by getting what you want is what really makes me happy. And if I really did have a wish for anything. . . “

“Yes?” the others said.

“Then all I’d wish for is to get all of us together for a big group hug. If Rainbow Dash can make it inside.”

“Aww,” said Pinkie, “I think that you wished to be super-sweet! Why don’t we head back outside for that hug? You won’t be frightened of Rainbow as a big, scary dragon though?”

“Not really. Maybe because I know it’s she, or maybe because I’m just growing and getting braver, but I’m not scared at all.”

“And, finished!” rang out in a singsong voice from over at the mirror. Rarity faced the rest of the ponies and said, “What do you think?”

Not a hair was out of place. She shone out with a light that seemed to come from within, or perhaps it was that the light acted as if it had been made to reflect off her. She was perfection without being measurable, imposing without being garish, sexy without being a tart. When she moved her mane and tail went with her in perfect undulation. Being so adept at knowing the ins and outs of fashion, she knew it too, and carried herself with confidence, thought without branching into arrogance.

The other ponies looked on, speechless. It was Pinkie Pie who first found her voice again. “Wow, Rarity, now our little group is truly superlative! The best in beauty, the best in strength, the best in kindness. . . and the best of friends!”

The six of them went to the front gate of the castle and had their group hug. They fit together like puzzle pieces. It was a moment of bliss. When they let go, Fluttershy said, “Thank you, girls. This was a great thing to do. I’m going to go and journal about this so I never forget how it made me feel. I’ll see you later, OK?”

“You journal?” asked Pinkie.

“Yes. . . you don’t think that’s weird, do you?”

“Nope! Just never knew it before.”

They trotted around to where they had spotted the Apple clan. Applejack went up to Braeburn. “I guess you’re wondering what I’m doing with a couple o’ alicorns and a big rainbow-colored dragon, aren’t you?”

“Aw, heck, AJ! We’ve seen some incredible fancy stuff here in the big city! There’s an amphitheater we went to, building must be able to hold over five hundred ponies! Now don’t that just turn your apples red?”

Twilight was smiling ear-to-ear, watching her friend swapping old stories and having the time of her life. “What do you say we all go and grab a bite to eat?”

“You all go on,” said Applejack. “We’ll all catch up with you later.”

Pinkie grabbed Twilight and started dragging her off. “Yeah, let’s go! Since the four of us are looking so fine we want to show it off. It’ll be like a parade!”

They marched down the streets into Canterlot town. Some of the ponies were a little wary of a dragon coming down, but when they heard her talking with a pony’s voice they figured it was just a trick of some sort. That applied mostly to the mares, though. For the stallions, some of them never even noticed the dragon, because all they could see was Rarity.

Jaws hung open and drool was coming out at the sight of such an attractive mare sauntering about. Rarity was in her element and noticed all the attention, lapping it up like a cat does. Then she spotted a particular target she had hoped to see.

“Well, hello, Prince Blueblood. Do you remember me?”

He was speechless for a moment. “R-Rarity? Is that you?”

“Why, of course it is.”

“But you look so. . . so. . . “

“Oh, I’ve changed my style, that’s all. You know how it is, fashions change from one season to the next.”

“Rarity, last time we met, at the Gala, I was so awfully rude to you. Can you ever forgive me? Would you like to go out with me? And then marry me?”

She chuckled coquettishly. “Oh, Prince. . . I DON’T THINK SO!”

And she turned her back on him, lifting her nose in the air and trotting back to the others. When she reached them they all broke up laughing.

“Oh, that was fun! I’ve wanted to do something like that ever since the night I met that awful boor.”

“You should see the moopy droopy face he has, Rarity!” said Pinkie. “You don’t think that was a little mean, though?”

“But Pinkie, you didn’t have to go through what I did with him. Trust me, it’s what he deserves. Although, he is certainly not the only stallion in town. . . “ she trailed off.

“And what you’re saying is that you’d like to head off and try to find yourself a date.” Twilight grinned. “Please, don’t hesitate on our account.”

“Thank you for understanding. You three have a wonderful time!”

As Rarity cantered off with a cloud of stallions in her train, Rainbow Dash said, “OK, now that we’ve lost all the earth-bound ponies, let’s hit the sky!” She soared up toward the sun, twisting and turning her body to stretch it out. With rather more grace, Pinkie and Twilight flapped their wings and joined her.

Rainbow danced and soared above, then came down to join the other two. “So, now that you’ve finally got your wings, don’t you just think that flying is the best? Don’t you never want to touch ground again?”

“Well, I wouldn’t go that far,” said Twilight, “But I definitely see the appeal.”

“It’s really freeing,” agreed Pinkie. “And the best part is that you’re always getting somewhere, even when you think you’re just flapping your wings. Speaking of getting somewhere, do you want to head off by yourself like the others, Rainbow?”

“Not really. Element of loyalty, remember? I’m going to own the Canterlot skies!”

“Well, what I was thinking was that we’d head back to Ponyville where I could throw a party to celebrate all the fun we’re having!”

“So you’re saying the fun would be doubled?” asked Twilight, but her joke fell flat since neither Pinkie nor Rainbow had been present when Luna said that.

“You feel free to do that,” said Rainbow. “No hard feelings if you don’t want to stick around, honest.”

“What do you say, Twilight? Ponyville, cake, party?”

“I’m always up for a Pinkie Pie party. And I should check to see that Spike hasn’t burned down the library.”

“Have fun, Rainbow! Come on, Twilight, last one to Ponyville gets banished to the Moon!” Pinkie flapped her wings and headed for home. Twilight chuckled and followed after.

When they made it back to town, it didn’t take Pinkie long to organize everypony in town, since the sight of two alicorns approaching got most of their attention. It was a wild party that lasted most of the rest of the day, with ponies trying on various forms, or enjoying little fantasies of their own. As the sun sank low in the sky, Pinkie drew Twilight aside.

“You gave me such a great day, so can I show you something? It’s a secret that I never even let my closest friends know, but you deserve it for today.”

“Really? Thanks, I’d love to see it.”

Pinkie led them to a hill behind Sugar Cube Corner. It was a nondescript place that nopony would ever go to. No roads went near it and there were no stores or homes nearby. They flew up to the crest of the hill, then Pinkie landed and started to trot down the other side. Once she got a few feet down, she lay down on her back.

Twilight stood in awe, having never known that this spot existed in Ponyville. A valley vista spread before her to the west, expanding from a narrow crevasse to a wide spread. Trees dotted the valley and made it look like a soft green pillow. A brook meandered through gently, not making much noise unless you were right next to it. Breezes blew through and tickled the treetops, which gave a rustle of thanks. Above it all, the setting sun gave a hue of golden red to everything. From any other vantage point, it was just impassible rough country. From where they looked, it was a panorama of peace and beauty.

“Come. Sit,” Pinkie said slowly, in counter to her usual hyper voice. “This is my ‘sit-still place.’ Every day, every hour I’m on the move so fast, but once in a while I need to go and just not move for a while. I like coming here at sunset, to watch something else move for a change.”

Twilight joined her friend lying on the hillside. For a long time the two of them sat still. The light shimmered and danced, and they watched in contentment. As the last of the sun was about to sink below the horizon, Pinkie Pie turned to Twilight Sparkle.

“So, this was how I wanted to thank you for such a wonderful day. I can’t wait to see how tomorrow goes.”

“Pinkie, I’m not sure how to tell you this, but there might not be a tomorrow. You see, I think this whole day has been a dream.”

Pinkie laughed. “Oh, Twilight. Of course it’s all been a dream. All this rule-breaking magic? What else could it be?”

“You knew?”

“Tee-hee. Come on, I do all sorts of weird stuff even in the real Equestria. You think that I’m going to let a dream world hold me?”

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

“The dreamer never gets told it’s a dream. But the dreamer is you, and you could have dreamed anything. This day could have been a nightmare, and I could have been part of it. Instead, you made me the happiest I’ve ever been, and you finally went ahead and admitted that you knew it’s a dream too, so the last secret between us is gone. Now do you see why I had to bring you here?”

“But what’s going to happen to you when I wake up?”

“Well, I certainly don’t know! Maybe I didn’t even exist before you dreamed me up, even though I remember my whole life. And maybe I’ll go on in some world that you’re just visiting. Nopony knows what’s going to happen tomorrow. All we have are the moments of the present. But take this moment and tell me how you feel. Could anything be more perfect? Does it matter what happens next? Would you miss this for all the world?”

Twilight looked at Pinkie’s smile as it wavered in the failing light. In her heart, she gave the answer no to Pinkie’s rhetorical questions. Everything went swimmy as the last rays of the sun reached them. Twilight felt such joy at being close to her friend. Then the rest of the world started swimming too, and so did her own body, until she woke up.

She was back in Luna’s bed at Canterlot Castle. The sun was really setting, and she saw and felt that she had been asleep all day. She was rested and refreshed, ready to take on the world. From outside the door she heard voices. Maybe it was the princesses coming to check on her, or some guards assigned to keep watch, or maybe her friends really had come to Canterlot to be with her. All she knew was that she was finished dreaming, eager to see what was beyond the door, and that everything was right again.

Comments ( 28 )

“Oh, this is so awesome!” said Pinkie, “Although, I match even less than you. I may be color-blind, but you’d have to be really silly in the head to think that Princess Celestia was pink!”

I see wut you did thar.

Also, I commend you for making Pinkie happy, instead of attempting your own version of Cupcakes. Please, do continue to write like this. I heartily enjoy it.

-Tricondon

This was a really nice read. The nightmares, the 'real world' and the dream come true. Everything fit in perfectly.

Really awesome fanfic.

449112

"I see wut you did thar."

I love getting that response. It means my joke is subtle, but you still got it, and that's the spot I'm aiming for as a humorist.

449345

Thank you, and thank you for reading!

450819

You're welcome. Subtle humour is best pony.

-Tricondon

such an awesome read. Each chapter keeps you hanging on for more and more

1158341 Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

1158402 only had time to read the last three but this series calls for late night reading when i get home from doing family things which i must go and tend too.

Loving the series, can't wait to read more

"But wait, unicorns can’t just change themselves into pegasi or alicorns! That’s a rule."

:pinkiesad2:

Well, AT THE TIME. . .

2133133

I'm glad you liked this. So much of it has been countered by subsequent developments in the show, though. :fluttershysad:

This was the very first story I read on this sight. This story has its own place in my heart.

Huh, when I saw a Twilight and Pinkie chapter I almost expected something reminiscent of "cupcakes" I like this though it was a pleasant surprise

Wow that was ok:derpytongue2:ok

This was an excellent story! the early chapters make you feel for twilight, understand her fear and just wanting to hold her. Pjabrony, you are quickly becoming my favourite author here on FimFiction. :twilightsmile: Afte Khat of course. :ajsmug: Sorry, nobody tops her.

4682112 Thanks! But, can I ask who's Khat? I'm always looking for a good author to read.

4682316 *epic sounds of silence, the whole universe stops* ..................:pinkiegasp::rainbowderp::twilightoops::derpyderp2::applejackconfused: .....You don't know who Khat is.... She wrote Fallout: Equestria. Which was so awesome they printed it. TWICE.

4682337 Well, I've heard of the story and the verse, but I'm not into them, really. Sorry.

4682337 Kkat, not Khat. Secondly, she?

4682494 Whoops! seems i either forgot that, didn't know it, or typed it wrong. And i heard things... from people..... that Kkat was a she.

4684510 it says it right at the bottom of "did you get Kkat's permission to do this"

4684586 were you even reading the comment I replied to...?

4684587 I thought i was, and if i read our comments in order from oldest to newest they make sense. Unless i missed something somewhere? Feel ABSOLUTELY free to correct me on what comment i was replying to. I'm sorry i if i replied to the wrong one.:fluttercry:

4684649 no, I thought you were someone else replying to me saying that it was already in this comment thread. Brain wasn't working right (not a surprise)

4684664 Whew. I HATE making people mad, especially in online comment boxes.

Twipie moments..

Login or register to comment