• Published 10th May 2013
  • 1,146 Views, 13 Comments

The Amazing Adventures of Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Melody - aricaitlyn



Octavia Melody and Vinyl Scratch go on adventures. What else could you want?

  • ...
2
 13
 1,146

6 - Winsom, Lose Some

"Twilight! Twilight!"

The unicorn opened her door with a magical surge of magenta. "Oh, hello, Vinyl. Octavia. It's nice to see you he-" She took notice of the Octie-pus held in midair by Vinyl's magic.

"We need your help," Octavia began. "And for once, I caused the problem."

Twilight seemed a bit confused, but she nodded. "Well, come on in. There's coffee brewing."


"So tell me exactly what happened." Twilight Sparkle insisted. She hesitantly took a sip of her coffee, trying hard not to burn her tongue or lips.

"Well, I broke my cello and then Vinyl and I got jobs to work off the repairs. But it wasn't enough." Octavia repositioned her hooves around the mug. She looked down as she explained; she was very embarrassed and confused.

"No, no, no." Twilight interrupted. "Explain this octopus."

"Oh, that." Octavia relocated her glare downwards to her bottom hooves. "I sang a song and this just flew through the window."

"Well, which song was it? Maybe the tune will help us figure this out."

"'Call Upon the Seaponies'. You know, 'shoo be doo'?"

Twilight cringed, then nodded towards one of her many bookshelves. "Spike!" she called.

The purple dragon darted down the stairs. "Yeah?"

Twilight pointed to a book at the top of the shelf, a title that looked pretty old. "That one, please. Right away."

"Right." Spike pulled up a ladder and brought the book down with ease.

Vinyl and Octavia were shocked as Twilight eagerly flipped through the pages of When You're in Distress: How to Call Upon the Seaponies the Right Way.

Twilight finally stopped flipping through the pages. "'The seapony curse is cast on a pony who doesn't need any help from a seapony, but requests its service anyway. To rid yourself of this curse you must...'" Twilight kept turning the pages, then closed the book and put it down next to her mug. "The only way you can get rid of the curse, according to this book, is to drive that cephalopod out to sea. Then the one who cast the curse upon herself must sing the same song backwards."

Vinyl looked up to a map. "But there's no way we can get to sea. We're landlocked."

"No, there's got to be some way," Twilight corrected.

"Oh, now I remember!" Octavia exclaimed.

"What?"

"Winsom Falls! I went there when I was a filly. Vinyl, you know how close it is, right?"

Vinyl nodded. "Let's go find that waterfall."

She and Oct were about to head out, but they realized that they were guests at Twilight's and it would be rude to just leave her. But Twilight gave them the okay.

"Be warned," Twilight hollered. "The curse becomes permanent in three days!"


"Can we take a plane?" Vinyl asked. "I don't wanna walk all that way."

"I'm not sure," Oct replied. "After the Pony Beach incident, I don't want to take chances."

Vinyl reminisced and chuckled a bit. "Aw, yeah. How come you're the one who always goes crazy?"

Octavia shrugged. "I suppose it just runs in the family. My great-great uncle Mellow Note lost his mind on a daily basis."

"Well, could we take a train or something?"

"Maybe that would work."


"No psychos allowed," the train conductor said.

"She's not psychotic," Vinyl butted in. Octavia signaled for her to shut up, but Vinyl just kept yammering.

"Octavia here is my totally sane BPFF!"

Oct finally took a stand and covered her friend's nonstop mouth with a hoof.

"Mpt pff mm mmfth!" is what Vinyl proclaimed with a mouthful of hoof. Octavia led the unicorn elsewhere.


As before, the same "Octavia's psychotic" scenario went down as Vinyl Scratch and Octavia tried to pick up tickets at another train station nearby.

"This is so dumb," Vinyl mumbled. She then recalled something. "The mirror pool?"

"Mirror pool? No, we need to rid ourselves of a curse, not create another!"

"Rid ourselves of a curse, not create another!" the Octie-pus repeated.

Vinyl began to laugh loudly, and was rolling on the ground in no time. "Man, I wish I had my own sea-po-"

Octavia cut her off. "Be careful! If you wish for your own, you'll only make it worse!"

"Okay." Vinyl sighed and stood up. "So, we're hoofin' it now?"

Octavia nodded. "It must be the only way, then."

So the two musicians began to hoof it, with the Octie-pus, some spare bits, and a map of Equestria (stolen from Twilight's library).


"Ugh," Vinyl groaned loudly and obnoxiously. "Mehhhh."

"Stop that," Octavia panted. "We're...halfway...there..."

"But...it's so...HOT!"

"You've got...the magic to cool yourself off. You've got...the magic to refill Octie-pus' water. So use...your magic and make it so."

"Oh...right. Sometimes I...forget that I'm a...unicorn." Vinyl's horn began to glow, and her sweat vanished. She used a spell to add more water in the cup. Finally, she picked up the octopus with her magic and kept on trotting.

Octavia sighed. "We're halfway through..." She glanced over the map.

"Halfway through...the Endless Desert."

The three groaned in unison.


The Endless Desert was ironically short. The three made it there in good time.

Suddenly, Vinyl gestured to her horn as it lit up.

"Vinyl, what are you doing?" Octavia asked nervously.

"I'm teleporting us there. I feel like we're really close."

The light on her forehead grew as Octie-pus was dropped from the same grasp. In some sort of dumb luck, Octavia rescued the Octie-pus just as the magic encased them.

In almost an instant, they were there.

"Well, here we are," Vinyl Scratch commented. "Your favorite tourist site." She picked the Octie-pus up with her magic, then tilted the glass towards the majestic waterfalls. Octavia stopped her just as a drop or two of water landed.

"Vinyl! This place is guarded by magical moon gargoyles at night! One false move and - we're toast!"

"How is this a false move?" Vinyl grinned. "We're ridding you of a curse. Now, sing!"

"But -"

"DO IT FOR THE OCTOPUS."

Octavia sighed. "Fine."

"Sertsid ni eruoy new senopaes et nopu lack!

With that, the Octie-pus dove into the crystal-clear water. The curse had been lifted, but the full moon was out, empowering the gargoyles. Not only were they able to awaken at this time of the night, they had a mission: destroying those who did something wrong at Winsom Falls. The gargoyles were silent and dark as night, their pegasus wings allowing them to swoop like a bird.

"I warned you!" Octavia groaned.

"Hey - I've never been in a situation like this."

A gargoyle reached for Vinyl's foreleg and bit down. "Troublemakersssssssss..." he hissed, further sinking his fangs into her pony flesh.

Fear began to manifest itself in Vinyl. She was known for being the most calm, cool, and collected pony on the block, but how could she not just lose it at such a dire time?! So she screamed for help.

"Help yourself," Octavia replied. Vinyl Scratch glanced over and saw that the gargoyles were attempting to drown her. Vinyl began to wiggle the gargoyle off her leg, but his grip grew stronger. She finally felt the blood rushing and screamed again.

He finally eased up, allowing Vinyl to dump Octie-pus' glass on his head. He hissed as he burned. The two gargoyles who had tried to drown Octavia flew to the tourists' balcony and dropped her. The gargoyles flew back to their perches and hardened into their original stone forms.

"That was close," Vinyl grunted. "And we broke the curse, too!"

Octavia nodded. "Let's go home."

"Sure."

Vinyl Scratch lit her horn and beamed back home with Octavia Melody.

THE END

Comments ( 4 )

Congratulations, this story has good enough grammar to be included in the Good Grammar Directory, a comprehensive list of gramatically-correct stories on Fimfiction. :eeyup:

OMG.

You mentioned the sea-ponies. And a curse.

Needs more elaboration and length, but is good.

I will take a break from reading now as I am laughing. Be back after these messages.

3357127

I'm in the business of rewriting it. Sorry it's so...broken.

I'm really glad that my stupid story made you laugh! :raritystarry:

3357137 Hooray for revision :3

Login or register to comment