• Published 10th May 2013
  • 1,146 Views, 13 Comments

The Amazing Adventures of Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Melody - aricaitlyn



Octavia Melody and Vinyl Scratch go on adventures. What else could you want?

  • ...
2
 13
 1,146

3 - Rock Stars

Without hesitation, Vinyl and Octavia had decided to make their way to the rock farm where Octavia and her family worked formerly. Their first stop, however, was Sugar Cube Corner. Octavia's sisters had been there the night before.

Vinyl opened the door to the bakery. The smells of sweet baked goods immediately wafted out the open door. "Um, hello?" Vinyl asked, stepping in. Octavia followed in a similar manner. It was a bit earlier in the morning, which pretty much meant the shop was closed. Whomever had closed last night, however, had forgotten to lock the door. Vinyl continued to trot around but suddenly stopped at a display case filled with pastries, licking her lips at the thought of eating those delightful donuts.

Octavia groaned. "Vinyl, we don't have time for this."

Vinyl nodded. "If nopony's here, I'll just take a donut. Alright? Alright." Her horn lit, the magic moving straight through the display case as if it were nothing. The magic encased the pastry, and...

"Anypony in here?" a cheerful voice asked. Vinyl lost concentration and dropped her donut, cursing under her breath.

The pony was Pinkie Pie, one of Octavia's siblings. After discovering an amazing rainbow as a child, Pinkie's dull life was immediately transformed into a fun life of smiles and parties. She had spontaneously thrown a party for her family, which helped her to earn her cutie mark and taught her how to smile. Her sole goal in life was to help others learn to smile, too.

"Hello, Vinyl! Hello, Octavia!" Pinkie grinned, then turned to the donut Vinyl had dropped. She pushed her mane to the ground, the donut sticking to it as if it were magnetic. Pinkie shook her mane out over the trash can, but then suddenly stopped. She brought her hooves up to her mane and pulled the donut out, then ate it in one bite. "Mmmm! Yummy!"

Pinkie swallowed. "So, what's up?" She looked around. "We aren't even open yet; how'd you two get in here?"

"We wanted to know if you knew of a faster way to get to the rock farm," Vinyl said.

Pinkie Pie nodded. "Yeah, it's really not that far from here. Just a quick train ride one way, hit the train right, left, straight, around town, woo-woo! Then you're there!"

Vinyl scratched her head. "Uhh...what?"

"I'll go with you guys instead. Why do you need to visit?" Pinkie asked.

"We were hoping to buy some rocks," Octavia butted in. "Our front yard is lacking...uh, rocks. You know how it is."

Vinyl interrupted. "Octavia, you said that yard rocks looked really tacky -"

Octavia shoved her hoof in Vinyl's face. "I never said that!" She then turned to Pinkie, chuckling nervously. "Whenever you're able to go is fine with us."

Pinkie grinned. "Okay! I need to pack anyway..."


Vinyl, Octavia, and Pinkie waited at the train station in hopes of heading to the rock farm. The trio stood quietly, with nothing to talk of. Every so often, Octavia would adjust her tie, Vinyl would cough, or Pinkie would hum a high note.

"What kind of rocks are you thinking of getting, Octavia?" Pinkie asked, trying to break the tension of the awkward silence.

"Uh...oh yeah! Rocks," Octavia responded. "Probably...glittery."

"Like somepony went around and added a little bit of shine," Vinyl added, helping her friend out.

Pinkie nodded. "Yeah! I'm sure they've got rocks like that!"

Vinyl cringed. "Great." She then turned to Octavia, gritting her teeth. "How do we get into these problems?!"

Octavia groaned. "I don't know," she replied monotonously. "I just don't."

The train whizzed by and stopped right in front of them. "It's here, it's here!" Pinkie exclaimed, hopping up and down in place. The doors opened and the ponies got into the train to the rock farm.


The train pulled in, its pastel colors barely blending in to the dull background of the rock farm.

"We're here!" Pinkie shouted. She got off the train and began skipping into the field of rocks. Octavia and Vinyl followed at a steady pace.

Once Vinyl and Octavia had caught up, Pinkie stopped in front of some small pebbles dusted in glitter. "This what you wanted, Octavia?" Pinkie asked.

Octavia cringed and picked up one of the rocks. "I thought I was kidding," she said to Vinyl.

Vinyl shrugged. "It's a sparkly rock. Can't go wrong with sparkly rocks."

"Basket?" Pinkie asked, pulling a shopping basket from nowhere. Vinyl grabbed it with her magic and put the rock inside. "Thanks, Pinkie," Vinyl responded, grabbing the basket with her foreleg.

"No problem!" Pinkie skipped off and knocked on the door of the barn, which was just as rickety as it looked in the photograph. Octavia gasped suddenly, grabbing her mane.

"What's wrong, Octie?" Vinyl asked.

"I...forgot!" Octavia sputtered, sweeping her bangs to the middle of her forehead.

"What're you even doing?" Vinyl asked skeptically.

"Fixing my hair. For old time's sake." Octavia grinned, having finally fixed her bangs. She looked just like the stone-gray filly in the photograph, just older. She unfastened her pink bow tie and fixed it to her head as a ribbon. "How do I look?" she asked Vinyl.

Vinyl gritted her teeth. "Uh...good!"

Pinkie made her way back to the two with another pony trailing her. It was Limestone, another one of Octavia's sisters. It had been so long since they had seen each other; tears began to well up in Octavia's eyes.

"Hey, Marble!" Limestone said, hugging her sister. "It's been so long!"

"I know," Octavia replied. "Heard you got your cutie mark." They pulled away from the hug to admire each other's cutie marks.