• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 3,449 Views, 39 Comments

A Hermit With A Heart - Robobrony



Twilight was on her way home from Zecora's when her life was saved by a strange hermit pony. What sort of secrets could he be hiding, can Twilight and her friends show him the magic of friendship?

  • ...
23
 39
 3,449

Chapter 7: A Date With Destiny

A Hermit With A Heart
Chapter 7: A Date With Destiny

Morning came and Nightshade stirred from his sleep. His head and his heart were buzzing, as if at war with one another over what Nightshade was thinking he would have to do when it came time to send Twilight home. His heart was screaming to stay with her, while his head yelled that it would never work out. But Nightshade already knew what he would do, even if it meant he would still be alone. Since Nightshade had shown what he was to the ponies already, he had no need to put on his cloak, so he just left it in his room.

He tried to ignore the inner struggle as he made his way downstairs to greet his new, but temporary friends. Nightshade opened the door to his library and saw all the ponies had already gotten up early to do as they promised and cleaned up the room from all the decorations. Twilight simply stood by and watched, wanting to help, but the others were insistent that she just relax. The salve Nightshade put on her did remove the soreness and felt she could help, but the girls and Spike didn’t want her to take any chances.

Applejack was the first to notice Nightshade in the room and went to greet him. “Howdy there pardner, ya sleep well.”

Nightshade just smiled as he responded. “Better than I had in two thousand years thanks to all of you.”

Twilight then came over to greet her new coltfriend. “I’m glad to hear it.” She then gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

Nightshade just blushed, and this time, every pony could see it clearly since he was no longer hiding his face. He cleared his throat when he spoke again in an attempt to hide his feelings. “AHEM, anyway, I’ll get breakfast started.”

Pinkie jumped in front of Nightshade to stop him. “No need Nightshade, we all brought our own food and ate already. We didn’t want you to use up your supplies on us.”

Then Rainbow Dash stepped in. “Yeah, besides we kinda need to get back home. Ya know, jobs and all.”

Nightshade didn’t want to say goodbye to them just yet. “Are you sure you don’t want to stick around a bit longer, I could tell you quit a few interesting stories about some of the things I’ve seen.”

Rarity decided to interject. “Terribly sorry dear, but we really must get back, besides that beautiful flower you have gave me an idea for a fashion design that I am most eager to get to work on.”

Fluttershy came next. “And I have animals that I need to take care of back home.”

Pinkie just had to throw in her two bits. “Don’t worry, you can always come visit us in Ponyville and see your maaaaarrrrefriend.” She said that last line rather slyly, which seemed to coax another blush from Nightshade.

“Oh, yeah, visit, sure.”

They saw Nightshade take on a rather somber look which worried them. Spike stepped forward to see what had Nightshade so down. “Nightshade, what’s wrong?”

“Huh, oh uh nothing, I’m ok, really.” He lied as he put on a fake smile.

Spike and the girls didn’t believe him, but figured he was still sad about remembering the tragedy he went through, so Applejack thought to try and cheer him up. “AH come on now pardner, cheer up, all that bad stuff ya been through was a long time ago. Ya don’t have ta worry about that anymore.”

Rainbow Dash agreed. “Yeah, besides, you got us now, were you’re friends, and we’ll be there for you no matter what.”

Those words seemed to perk Nightshade up a bit. “Thanks girls, and Spike, for everything.” They all simply smiled at him and began to collect their things to go home. Before Nightshade would take them home, he felt he should tell them a bit of good news. “I do have something to tell you all. Twilight will be able to come home tomorrow.” Everypony in the room cheered at the news that their friend would be coming back to Ponyville, but none was happier than Spike. Nightshade addressed the group. “So, is everypony ready to go?” The five mares and dragon gave a group nod. They said goodbye to twilight and gathered around Nightshade for the return trip home.

Nightshade, the girls, and Spike had just reappeared in front of the Ponyville Library. Before he could leave, the group had to say their goodbyes. Pinkie was first. “Thanks again for letting us come over and throw you a party, you’ve just got to come to the party I have planned to celebrate Twilight coming back.”

“You’re welcome Pinkie, I look forward to it. Even though I didn’t show it, I really did have fun last night. Thanks again.”

Rainbow Dash had an idea. “Maybe you could tell us one of those adventure stories you were talking about at the party. I’d love to hear those.”

“Sure, why not?”

Rarity had an idea of her own as well. “Oh and Nightshade, you simply must come by my shop sometime, the color of your coat is simply devine, I could make an outfit for you that would make you look fabulous.”

“Uh, that’s ok, really, look I should really get going, I’ll see you later.”

Spike said his goodbye next. “See ya later Nightshade, and thanks again for everything.”

“Bye Spike.” Nightshade waved goodbye to them and teleported back home. The ponies then went their separate ways to go back to their homes while Spike made his way into the library.

Nightshade was once again in his house and went to check on Twilight. As expected, she was busy reading another one of his books. He figured he should leave her to it for now because he needed to go to his room to do some serious thinking. He got to his room and closed the door. He paced back and forth waiting for his double to come out to talk to about this matter, but after a while, it never came out.

Nightshade began to yell at his head. “Hello, I know you’re in there, come on out!” He knocked himself on his head with his hoof as he cried out to himself. “Where are you? HELLLOOOOOO!” Still nothing. “FINE, if you don’t want to come out, then I guess I’m…..on my own.” It was then that he realized why his double hadn’t come out. It was just something to help him cope with his solitude, something to help guide him to something he needed to be happy. Nightshade had finally accepted others as friends, the very ponies that his double kept trying to get him to be friends with, and now that he did accept their friendship, that part of him was no longer needed. Nightshade was truly on his own now. He figured now would be a good time to tell twilight what he had planned for tonight, so he shook those thoughts out of his head and made his way back downstairs to his library.

Nightshade entered the room with Twilight still reading and spoke. “Um, Twilight, I was….wondering if…maybe you’d…want to..go out on a date with me?”

Twilight looked up from her book with a big smile on her face and stood up. “Oh Nightshade, I would love to! But…where would we go.”

“Well, as I said before, I know that forest very well, and even though it is dangerous, it does have some amazing things to see, and I just thought you’d like to see the beauty of it.”

Twilight smiled at him. She knew full well that he would never take her someplace he wouldn’t be able to protect her from any danger. “I would like that very much Nightshade, I can’t wait.” Her eyes sparkled with wonder as she couldn’t help but imagine what kind of wonders could exist in such a mysterious forest. “So when do we go.”

Nightshade knew that, for the full effect of what he wanted to show her, it would have to be dark. “Tonight, we’ll head out tonight after the sun goes down.” Twilight was excited to hear this. She would finally get to go on a date with her new coltfriend and see something amazing. All they could do now was wait for the sun to set. Nightshade stayed in the library with Twilight for the rest of the day to go through his books with her, just so he could enjoy her company longer until it was time for her to leave.

The sun had finally gone down and it was time to head out. As the day went on, the thought of what Nightshade wanted to show Twilight seemed to lift his spirits as he was in a slightly better mood. “Well, it’s time to go, you ready.”

“Ready and eager.”

“Just remember, stay close to me and do as I say, all right.” Twilight was actually excited about this. Sure they were going into a dangerous forest, but it was to see something amazing, she just knew it, also, this was a date with the stallion she loved. Nightshade’s horns glowed black as he focused his magic on the front doors and they creaked open. The pair made their way out the front door and Nightshade closed the doors behind them.

They walked down the path into the forest with the night sky above and the moon shining bright. “So Nightshade, what exactly do you want to show me.” She couldn’t contain her curiosity any longer.

“Sorry, but that’s a surprise.” Nightshade said with a smile. He wasn’t about to let his inner war ruin this night, he ignored his thoughts and concentrated on enjoying being with Twilight. The woods were definitely thick, for as they went deeper, the forest seemed to get darker.

Twilight was starting to get worried. “Nightshade, it’s getting hard to see.”

He knew what to do to help ease her nerves. “Hang on a sec.” He focused his magic into his two horns again and produced a white ball of light to illuminate the area.

Twilight looked upon him with admiration. “Nice illumination spell.”

“Thanks.”

They continued on their way for a while when suddenly Nightshade heard something. “Wait,….did you hear that?” He whispered to her.

“No.” She whispered back. Nightshade quickly dispelled his light orb and they both quickly moved to hide behind a large tree. Twilight was a little worried now, as she began to hear something stomping towards them.

Nightshade had a serious look on his face as he carefully looked out from behind the tree. Twilight carefully looked around as well and asked Nightshade in a whisper. “What is it Nightshade?” He said nothing as the stomping got louder and closer. Soon a tall large figure came into view from the darkness of the woods.

Nightshade was still looking out from behind the tree as he quietly recognized the form. “A troll. Twilight, get down.” The large lumbering beast stomped forward a bit then came to a stop a few feet away from the pair’s hiding spot. Nightshade turned to Twilight and put a hoof to his mouth as if telling her to stay quiet. She simply nodded with worry on her face. Nightshade looked back at the troll who was holding a massive wooden club and had it slung over its shoulder as it appeared to be sniffing the air, trying to find something. It couldn’t pick up any odd scents, so it continued on its way as it stomped along.

Nightshade still wore a serious expression on his face as he watched the troll walk away out of ear shot. “They must have expanded their territory since the last time I was in this area. Looks like we’ll have to teleport back home once were done.”

Twilight was still very shaken up from nearly being found by such a large creature that could easily be about half the size of a dragon. “Nightshade, what was that thing.”

Nightshade saw Twilight was still scared, so he smiled at her as he told her what that thing was. “A troll, large lumbering beasts, with sickly green skin covered in warts that live in this forest, their very territorial. They can talk like us, but their very stupid and easy to outsmart. Nothing I can’t handle. Don’t worry, we’ll use my shadow flight spell to get back to the house when were done here. But just to be safe, I think it best not to use an illumination spell.”

Twilight felt relief at Nightshades words, but became concerned about something else. “But then, how will we see where were going?”

“I have night vision. We shadow walkers lived in a large forest and developed it to adapt. Just stick close to me.”

The two continued on their way through the forest when Nightshade felt that now would be a good time to confess something. “Twilight, theres….something I feel I should tell you.”

“What is it Nightshade?”

“Remember when I told you that I did some traveling in the past,…..well, I lied.”

This confused Twilight. “What do you mean Nightshade?”

“I guess a part of me just wanted to kind of impress you, and when Rarity asked me who my decorator was and I said I did it myself, that was another lie. The truth is, that I didn’t build that house. There was no way I could go into town to get things needed to make that place, I was just too scared. In fact, my very first time going into a town was when I went to inform your friends about the incident that got you hurt.”

Twilight was really confused then. “Then, if you were so scared of others, why did you go into Ponyville.”

“For some reason, the look in your eyes when you asked me to made something inside me move. I just couldn’t disappoint you.”

Twilight smiled a big smile at that, then wondered something else. “So, if you didn’t build that house, who did?”

They continued their walk as Nightshade explained. “Well, a thousand years after THAT incident, some researcher pony was curious about the forest. He built the house there so he could live there and do his research of the place. At the time, I was living in this forest too. So I was spying on him to see what he was doing in the forest. I never confronted him though, but from time to time, he would mention at how this princess Celestia would reward him for his work on this place. That was the only reason I really knew about princess Celestia. He never got to finish his research though, as he fell prey to the dangers of the forest, so I moved in to the house he built and have been living there ever since. The plants in the green house are mine though, and the food I get comes from the forest, but everything else was built and left by that pony. Even the books I now own were his.”

Twilight got a little worried that Nightshade was confessing. “Why are you telling me this Nightshade?”

“Just thought you should know just how scared I really was of being around other ponies. As I said, being in towns terrifies me with so many others around.”

“But you’re not afraid any more,…..right?”

Nightshade just kept walking. “C’mon, were almost there.”

Soon, Twilight started noticing that the further they went the brighter the plants seem to let off a glow. “Nightshade, what are these?” She asked with wonder.

Nightshade just smirked. “Oh nothing special, just ordinary grass and flowers.”

That just made Twilight more curious. “But then, if their nothing special, how are they glowing.”

Nightshade just looked at her with the same smirk on his face. “You’ll see through these bushes.” They made their way through some brush and Twilight was met with an amazing and beautiful sight.

There was a large lake that was letting off a beautiful white glow and a waterfall to the left where the water was coming from, surrounded by glowing flowers and grass. “What is this place?” She asked with eyes wide in wonder.

Nightshade responded. “This is Moon Lake.” Twilight stepped up to the edge of the lake and looked down into the water. She couldn’t believe how clear it was.

She could see clear to the bottom and all the fish in it just swimming about, almost as if they were flying. “This is amazing Nightshade, how is the water glowing like that?”

“I don’t myself. I tried to follow the source of the water, but it just led to a smaller lake where the water was just coming up out of the ground. Frankly, I’m fine with not knowing, it’s just one of the many mysteries of the forest that give it that charm. Watch this.” Then, Nightshade dunked his head in the water, took a big mouthful, lifted his head out, and swallowed. Twilight was curious as to why he did that, but before she could ask, his body started to glow blue.

She just looked on in wonder yet again. “Wow, that’s amazing.”

Nightshade turned to her and smiled. “You want to try, go ahead and take a swig, it’s one of the properties of this water, its temporary and only lasts a few minutes.” Twilight thought it would be interesting, so she dunked her muzzle in the water, sucked some into her mouth, pulled out and swallowed. Then she started to let off a purple glow that matched her coat. She looked at herself as she glowed and was amazed at this.

Nightshade then got an idea. “Hey, look at you, you really are……TWILIGHT SPARKLE now HA!” Twilight just rolled her eyes at him. “What,……ok fine, but come on, it was my first time trying to tell a joke, cut me some slack.” Twilight giggled a little at him.

Then, Nightshade turned to look at a spot at the other side of the lake and saw something. “Right on time.”

Twilight got curious at what he meant . “What is it Nightshade?”

“Look over there.” Twilight turned her head to look where Nightshade was pointing. On the other side of the lake, another white glow seemed to be moving from within the brush as it got closer to the lake. A bright white glowing deer with antlers emerged from the woods as it drew closer to the edge of the water. She just watched in awe as the glowing creature ducked its head down to get a drink. She was about to ask Nightshade what it was, but then heard a strange haunting wailing call.

She looked to her side and it was Nightshade making the sound. “Nightshade?” She then heard that same call come from the other side of the lake and looked to see its source. It was the deer. It had its head raised as it made the call. Nightshade did the call again. The deer made for the water, and, to Twilight’s amazement, instead of swimming through the water, the deer was actually walking on top of it. Her jaw hit the floor at this sight. She was too stunned to say anything else. The deer drew closer and closer to them until it stopped a foot away. Nightshade did the call again, only softer. The deer did the same thing as if they were talking to each other. It seemed to tower over them as it stood on the water surface. The deer then turned its attention to Twilight and seemed to just stare at her. She could only look back at it. It moved its head closer and looked Twilight in the eyes. She felt as if the creature was staring into her very soul. It held her gaze for almost a minute, the deer then pulled back and let out another wail before it turned around and disappeared into the forest.

Twilight was still in shock at what she just saw as her mouth hung open. Nightshade turned to her with a smile on his face and saw the look on Twilight’s face. “You know, that’s a pretty good way to catch bugs.”

Twilight shook her head to regain her senses. “What……was that?”

“THAT was the spirit of the forest.”

Twilight had no idea such creatures existed. “A spirit?”

“A kind of guardian that balances out the evil that is formed from some great tragedy that occurred in the forest. The beasts I keep talking about in this place is the evil that formed here.”

Twilight got worried hearing this. “So, what great tragedy happened here to create such evil?”

Nightshade ignored the question. “C’mon, there’s one more place I want to show you.”

Twilight got more worried when Nightshade didn’t answer her question, but figured that if it was important, he would tell her. So she let it go and followed him away from the lake after the glow they had faded. “So where are we going next?”

Nightshade gave another smile as he looked at her. “To the heart of the forest.”

They finally arrived at their next destination and Twilight took in what she saw. This part of the forest wasn’t as thick with trees so the moon provided some illumination, but that wasn’t the only source of light in the area. “Nightshade,….are those…..lunar lily’s?!” She stood before the stone ruins of some ancient civilization covered in vines with lunar lily’s growing all over the place. Because of all the lily’s and the moon above, there was plenty of light to see everything clearly.

Nightshade lead her through the ruins along an ancient stone looking street past the remains of stone buildings covered in moss, vines, and lunar lily’s. She looked on in awe and wonder at the structures covered in the plants. She paused a moment to ask. “What is this place Nightshade?” He didn’t answer. He just kept on walking through the place. Twilight trotted to catch up to him to try and see what was wrong. “Nightshade, what is it, what’s wrong?” Still no answer. So she just kept following him, thinking she would get some answers eventually.

Soon they came to a large stone structure that seemed to be the remnance of a castle with the doors missing. The two made their way inside. Twilight stopped a moment to take in the inside of the building. The walls had a few holes in them, with vines growing all along them, also with the same white flowers growing from the vines. Then, she heard Nightshade speak. “Hey guys, sorry I haven’t come to visit in a while, been a lot of stuff going on.” He sounded sad. Twilight saw him sitting in front of a few steps that led to three broken thrones made of stone, each one wrapped up in vines with lunar lily’s growing on them. Twilight slowly made her way over to him to see who or what he was talking to.

She came up next to him, looked at his face and saw he wore a sad expression. “Nightshade?” she said softly with worry in her voice. She saw he was looking down, so she looked to see what he was staring at. At their hooves were two grave stones flat in the ground. They both had an inscription on them. Twilight read them to herself. The first one read ‘Here lies king Shadow Knight, beloved ruler and loving father’ the other read, ‘Here lies queen Shade, beloved ruler and loving mother’.

Twilight’s eyes soon began to tear in understanding. “Nightshade, are these your parents?” He said nothing as tears began to form in his eyes.

He blinked and a tear fell upon the head stone of his father. “*SNIFF* I miss them so much Twilight*SNIFF*” It all became clear to Twilight now. These ruins were his home once. This was Nightshade’s kingdom, now in ruin, covered in vines and plants.

Twilight embraced Nightshade in a hug, practically crying herself for her coltfreind. Nightshade hugged her back and let loose with a turrent of tears as she did the same. “Oh Nightshade, I’m so sorry!” The two simply sat there in each other’s embrace within the ruins of a once proud kingdom, surrounded by the white glow of the flowers that have taken over the place. The ruined empty castle echoed with their cries as the moon shone down through a hole in the roof, providing a kind of spotlight for them as they held each other.

After what seemed like hours, the two finally broke their embrace and looked each other in the eye. Twilight had to say something, anything to comfort her love. “Nightshade, I’m so sorry for what happened to you. Nopony should ever have to go through what you did.”

Nightshade finally spoke to her. “You know, Nightshade wasn’t even my original name. I used to go by something else before it happened. After it did and I lost my parents, I thought it only appropriate to take a name that would honor their memory. So I took the last part of my father’s name, and my mother’s name, and gave myself the name Nightshade.”

Twilight looked at him with her eyes still a little teary with a smile on her face. “I think that was a wonderful idea.”

Nightshade smiled back at her, also still a little teary eyed. He raised his hoof to wipe away the tears and looked back at his parent’s graves. “Mom, dad, this is Twilight Sparkle. She and her friends helped show me that I don’t have to be alone anymore. And she showed me love. She’s my marefrend. I wish you could see this.”

Twilight looked down at the graves. “It’s very nice to meet you your majesties.” She said as she gave a little bow.

Nightshade figured it was really late and it was time to head back. He thought of a fun way to try to lighten the mood and get home quickly. “We should probably be heading back. Care to go for a flight.”

Twilight gave him a nervous look. “What do you mean?”

“I mean that you can climb on my back and I’ll fly us back home.”

Twilight got a little more nervous at that idea. “I don’t know, are you sure you can carry me, what about your shadow flight technique.”

“That’s no fun, besides, you’re going to love seeing the forest from a bird’s eye view.” She nodded, still a little nervous. “All right then.” Nightshade then got down a little to let Twilight on his back. She climbed on and wrapped her front hooves around his neck. “Hold on tight!” He cried to her. He then started galloping out the entrance of the ruined castle, leapt into the air and flapped his mighty wings to take off over the trees.

Twilight closed her eyes and let out a fearful scream as they breached the canopy of the forest. “YAAAAHHHHHH!”

Nightshade looked back at his passenger as she clung on for dear life with her eyes closed. “Twilight, open your eyes, you’re missing a beautiful view!” He had to practically shout at her over the sound of the wind as it flew by.

She carefully opened one eye to look around. As soon as she saw the view, she opened both eyes to take in the sight. The clear night sky lit up with the stars and the moon shining brightly, the forest down below, and the wind whistling in her ears as it blew her mane about. “WOW, this is incredible!” The sight was too magnificent for her to feel afraid at the fact that she was up in the air. Even at this height, the forest still seemed to go on forever with no end in sight. Twilight exclaimed, “From up here, the forest seems so nice, like there isn’t anything dangerous about it!”

Nightshade had to agree. “I know, it’s great Isn’t it?”

Nightshade then found a lone cloud floating in the sky, flew up to it, and came to a rest. He stared out over the forest into the night sky. “Hard to believe this place was once a battleground, huh?” He asked quietly to no one in particular as he looked upon the scene. The moonlight shone on their faces as the wind blew their mane’s about.

Twilight decided to express her gratitude. “Thank you Nightshade, this was a wonderful night.” She kissed him on the cheek, and he blushed again. “Are you ever going to get over me kissing you?” She asked with a sly tone.

Nightshade answered back with an equally sly tone. “Maaaayyyybe.” They both laughed a good laugh. Nightshade then seemed to take on a serious tone. “We should really get back to the house and get some sleep.” He trotted forward a little on the cloud and dove off with his wings folded, he let himself fall a little before spreading his wings to take flight into the night air back home.

The house came into view and Nightshade glided down onto the balcony that led to Twilight’s temporary lodgings. He knelt down to let Twilight off his back. “Thanks again Nightshade, I can’t tell you how much fun I had.” She then leaned in and kissed Nightshade on the lips with her eyes closed. Nightshade returned the favor, wishing, praying that this night didn’t have to end, that it could last forever. But, sadly, all good things must come to an end. Twilight broke the kiss and they both headed inside.

Twilight said a final goodnight to Nightshade before he left the room to let her sleep. “Goodnight Nightshade, see you in the morning.”

“Goodnight Twilight. Sleep well.” Nightshade left her room and made his way to his own. He crawled into bed with the thoughts of his date fresh in his head, weighed by the decision he would go through with in the morning.

The day had finally come. Twilight would finally be sent home after being away for so long. Nightshade crawled out of bed with a somber look on his face. “This is it, oh how I wish she could stay with me forever, but she has a life, and friends. No matter how I feel , it wouldn’t be fair to her to just keep her here.” He made his way out the door and down the stairs to wake the mare he loved, but would never be able to stay with.

He peeked in to see her just now waking up as she stretched her hooves and let out a yawn. “*Yawn* morning Nightshade.” She said rather sleepily.

“Morning Twilight. Well, todays the day your bandages come off for good and you can go home. Are you excited.” He asked as he put on a fake smile.

“Very, I miss my home so much. I can’t wait to get back to Ponyville.” She got out of bed and happily trotted over to Nightshade. She turned her side to face him so he could finally remove her bandages for the final time.

Nightshade looked upon her side and noticed three massive scars left by the wounds. “It looks like you were left with some major scaring, I can take care of that for you.” His horns began to glow black and the scars on Twilights side faded away and was covered up with her fur, all trace of the scars were gone.

Twilight was impressed. “Wow, Nightshade. But couldn’t you have used your magic to heal me in the first place when I was hurt?”

“I’m not really good with healing. That was the most I can do. Besides, healing magic is rather tricky.”

Twilight agreed. “That’s true. I can’t wait to show you all of Ponyville, I just know you’re going to love it there.”

Nightshade turned his head and looked at the ground, not wanting to look her in the eyes. “yeah….great.”

“Nightshade, what’s wrong, you are coming with me, aren’t you?”

This was it, Nightshade would have to say goodbye to the mare who showed him such compassion and love. But there was something holding him back from being with her, and it was time for it to come out into the open. “Twilight,………I…….can’t go with you.”

Twilight grew curious and scared. “What, why not, what’s wrong, don’t tell me it’s because your still afraid of me and my friends.”

“It’s not you or your friends Twilight,…..it’s eveypony else I’m afraid of.”

“WHAT, but why, Ponyville is the nicest town in all of Equestria, Nopony even knows about what happened to your tribe!”

This was it, he couldn’t hold it anymore. “I can’t just let go of a fear I’ve held onto for two thousand years Twilight! Everytime I look at a ponies face, it sends me back to that horrible night when I lost everything! I’m sorry Twilight, but you live in a world of light and I live in a world of shadows. It just…..wouldn’t work. So,…I’m sorry but…..this is goodbye.”

Twilight’s eyes began to tear up at the thought that Nightshade wasn’t coming with her. “Nightshade!” Before she could say another word, Nightshade cast his shadow flight spell and sent her away, back to Ponyville. Nightshade was once again alone in his big empty house.

“NIGHTSHADE!” Twilight cried out as she re-emerged from the hole, ready to burst with sorrow, back in front of her house.

Spike had heard her call out and came running to see what the noise was. He saw Twilight there and ran over to give her a hug. “Twilight! Thank Celestia your back.” He stopped in front of her and saw the sad look on her face as she was about ready to cry. “Twilight, what’s wrong, where’s Nightshade?” She said nothing. She looked down at him and turned to head inside with her head hung low.

She was just too depressed to be glad to be back at her library. She just quietly made her way upstairs to her room, crawled into bed and laid down. “Nightshade.” She said silently to herself, and she began to cry.

Spike walked up to her carefully, hoping to find out why she was so sad. “Twilight,….what’s wrong, what happened.”

She looked up from her bed at her little dragon brother. “Oh Spike, it’s Nightshade,….he….he” She couldn’t finish, she just burst into tears and cried her eyes out.

Spike tried again. “Twilight?”

“Please Spike…..just leave me alone.” Spike just turned and quietly left the room and slowly closed the door behind him, feeling sad that he couldn’t comfort her.

Half the day was gone and Twilight was still in her room crying over her lost love. The other girls came by to see if Twilight was back yet. Spike answered the door still depressed over his distraught friend. Applejack was the first to greet him. “Howdy sugar cube, is Twilight back yet.”

Pinkie cheered out. “Yeah, we’ve got a party to plan to welcome her back, and to thank Nightshade for his help.”

Spike had to tell them. “I don’t think that’s going to happen, Twilight got back just this morning and has been up in her room ever since, crying.” Everypony put on a concerned face.

Rarity then spoke up. “Crying, whatever for dear.”

“I don’t know, she won’t even talk to me. I tried to get her to talk, but she just told me to leave her alone. All I know is that it probably has something to do with Nightshade as she said his name before she started crying.”

Fluttershy spoke up next. “Nightshade, oh my, I hope he’s ok.”

Rainbow dash was next. “Are you kidding, of course he’s ok, he’s a tough stallion who can take care of himself.”

Fluttershy was doudtful. “Well then why is she crying, and why isn’t he here?”

Spike responded. “I wish I knew.”

Applejack tried to console Spike. “Well, whatever it is, I’m sure that once she simmers down, she’ll tell us what happened. But fer now, sounds like she just needs some time alone. The important thing right now is that she’s home.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Spike still wasn’t too sure.

Applejack figured they should be on their way then. “We’d best be off then, just let her know we came by to check on her, ok.”

Spike nodded his head. “See you girls later.” The girls left and Spike closed the door and got back to his regular duties at the library.

The sun was setting and Twilight had finally stopped crying enough to come down and tell Spike what happened. “Twilight, are you ok, what happened.” He tried to ask carefully.

“It’s Nightshade…..he…..i….” She sounded as if she was about to cry all over again as she seemed to have difficulty finding the words.

Spike tried to quickly retract his question. “It’s ok twilight, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

Twilight looked down at spike, gave a little sniffle and wiped a tear away from her eye with her hoof. “No Spike, It’s ok. I’ll tell you.” She proceeded to tell Spike of the magical evening she shared with the stallion of her dreams. The sights she saw, the laughs they shared, the city they came to, the moment at the castle in front of his parent’s graves, the flight through the night sky, and the kiss they shared on the balcony. Twilight went through each moment fondly as she told of them. Then, she came to this morning when he sent her away. She was practically ready to cry again at this, but she felt she cried enough.

Spike tried to say something to comfort her. “Gosh Twilight, I’m so sorry, I wish there was something I could do to help.” Then, there was a knock at the door. “Wonder who that could be at this hour.” Spike thought out loud. He went over to the door to see who would be coming to the library so late. He opened the door, looked around and saw nopony there. “That’s odd.” He was about to close the door but suddenly, something glowing caught his attention, he looked down at the ground in front of the door. “Twilight, you gotta come see this!” He called out to her.

She got up and made her way over to the door to see what had Spike so excited. She soon saw the white glow in front of the door, and when she got there to see what it was, her eyes lit up as she looked upon a familiar sight. There were six little lunar lily’s in pots wide open and glowing a beautiful white color. But that was not what really got her. The lunar lilys were positioned in a circle, at the center of the circle was a flower with pink pedals. It was the iron root flower. The very flower that was responsible for bringing her and her love together in the first place. Her eyes lit up even brighter with realization. She quickly looked around the outside, hoping to find the one who left the flowers, but nopony was around.

Spike then pointed out something she seemed to miss. “Twilight, there’s a note on that flower.” She levitated the note in front of her and read it to herself.

Dear Twilight Sparkle, ever since I sent you away back home, my heart has been aching terribly. I said that the reason we cannot be together was because of the fear I held onto of being around other ponies. As I said, such a fear that I’ve had for two thousand years cannot simply go away overnight, but that does not mean that it can’t go away at all. I know I never said it to you, and I regret that I cannot say it to you now in pony, but I love you Twilight Sparkle. And I always will. As a promise that I will work on trying to get over my fears that keeps us apart, I leave with you the very flower that brought us together. And as a thank you to you and your friends, I leave with you these lunar lilys, one for you and each of your friends. We will be together again Twilight. I promise. Your love, Nightshade

She lowered the note to show her face with tears forming in her eyes again, but this time, there was a smile on her muzzle. Spike grew Curious about the flower at the center. “Twilight, I recognize those white flowers there, but what’s that pink one?”

She just smiled as she looked upon the iron root flower and simply stated. “A promise.”

The End

Author's Note:

Well, there you have it the conclusion to my first ever fanfic. Hope you enjoyed it. In case your interested, I am working on a sequel to this. I have a few chapters written out already. If you want, just let me know and I'll post what I have so far.

Comments ( 18 )

Love this story what's the name of the sequel

for those who are interested I do have a sequel to my first fanfic. If I get enough requests for it I'll post it.

oh, this story was good :twilightsmile:

Why the fuck do people dislike this and were is the link

Hell yeah so fucking good!:pinkiecrazy:

2273973 Tehe, I just saw that you deleted my post. Anyways, if you don't want to take advice, that's cool I guess. I mean you know we review people don't put a shit ton of effort just to read through you authors stories to waste our energy on typing up proper reviews and to help you guys become better next time you write. Looks like our comments didn't help to much. Oh well. :applejackunsure:

So many feels. I always cry when I read the ending.

AHHHHH! need sequel ah goddammit this story...is...just to...epic to not have one- cold runner's dieing words :ajsleepy:

3445368 Don't know if you noticed, but there is a link in the description to the sequel.

3445557
oh...right i uh should look there huh?:facehoof:

I'm not gonna point out the gramatical mistakes etc because I took the time to read the comments lol so here goes my opinion of your fanfic. It's far from a masterpiece, obviously, since it's your first fanfic but I did enjoy it. The story itself is interesting and the quality of the writing noticeably improve through the chapters. The one thing I really like about it is your OC and his history. I am someone who love OCs, meeting new ponies that I don't already know every single sides and aspects of their life is one of the things I strive for (forgive me if I used the wrong word, I'm currently on my ipod and don't have access to a translator to verify if this word does mean what I think it means). I have nothing against OC shipping but I think their relationship grew at a rate which seems rather fast. I understand though that the story's length and "time limit" before Twilight had to leave must have forced you to, how can I say, come to point quickly? Anyway, it's nearly 4am, write using this kind of vocabulary and the fact that I've gone through pretty much everything I had to say is probably a good reason for me to sleep. I hope you like what I had to say and that it can help you improving, even though I didn't really said anything that could help you lol. See ya I guess.

PS: Your OC remind me of my own OC :P but my OC's story is too much of a mess and I'm nowhere skilled enough to put anything on paper sadly. Maybe, one day, I'll finally manage to write something and, hopefully, have something nearly as good as this for the result :) but I doubt I'll ever be able to. I just can't write. Oh and my ipod crashed when I originally wrote this comment and I had to rewrite all of this ;_;

Apparently, my ipod crash whenever I try to fix the typo in my previous comment... Anyway, I'll fix it tomorrow if I don't forget lol, btw I'm abisionkk in case you didn't figure it out :P

3774346 Glad you enjoyed it despite these grammical errors, I don't really see the point in getting an editor to fix those since it's already complete. But I guess it couldn't hurt, do you think you could go through it and do some editing? If not, that's fine, I'll find someone else to do it.

Nice new cover art.
:moustache:

4384925 I hope you'll give the follow up stories of this one a chance as well, I think I improved on writing after this one.

HNNNGGGGGGGG! MY HEART! *heart implodes from the feelz*

When are they going to tell celestia about this

Login or register to comment