• ...
4
 26
 1,007

Chapter Seven: A Thickening Plot

When Liam came to he found that they were still where they had killed the chaos spawn. He groaned and slowly got up as the memories came back to him. He facepalmed as he realized that he did...whatever it was that he had done, only this time everyone in the party had seen him do it.

'What did I do? The kobold had been alive....then it was dead and I was healed.' He thought. He didn't feel to bad about the situation, as he did not wish to die yet. Still, the circumstances were also both unusual and highly worrisome as he felt sure that whatever he did should not be possible for a normal... anything really.

"So you be awake now eh?"

Liam looked over and saw Feldrock standing behind him. The others stood behind him, and all of them were looking at him with a look of uncertainty. Feldrock just stood there with his arms crossed.

"Something that you wish to tell us?" Star Seer asked.

"Such a strange power, why it has Boo's fur standing on end." Minsc said as he held out the hamster for all to see. Boo just sat there, starring over at Liam.

Liam sighed, "Look, I'm sure that this is....very strange."

"Strange? Try wierd," Rainbow Dash said, "thats the second time you did that. One minute you look like something a cat dragged in and then those tendrils shoot from your hand and strike somepony and then you're all better. What gives man?"

"I think we do deserve an explanation." Feldrock said.

Liam groaned, "If I knew I would tell you, but I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?" Rainbow Dash asked, disbelief in her voice.

"I just don't know okay!" Liam shouted, going silent afterwards.

"Now Liam there is no need to shout. We're just concerned," Rarity said, "I mean what you did before and now just don't seem natural."

"Before? He did this before?" Star Seer said, looking over at Rarity.

"Yeah," Pinkie said as she appeared by Liam suddenly, causing him to jump.

Pinkie grabbed Liam's arm and lifted it up, "Liam got attack by another bounty hunter and he got raelly hurt on his shoulder. Then he was all, blast!" She yanked his arm forward.

"Ow." Liam said as he stumbled forward a bit.

"...and then that bounty hunter was all," Pinkie let Liam go and stood in front of him, "Ahhh, what did you do!" She stumbled back and did a play act of what Diamond Dazzle had done, "and then Liam was all better, like he is now. Once all beaten up and then all better after that weird tendril thing from his hand, only last time he just made that nasty pony Diamond Dazzle look really old not dead like he did that kobold."

"Bounty hunters?" Star Seer said, an eyebrow raised.

Liam sighed, "I don't know why, but I have bounty hunters after me." Liam reached into his pack and pulled out the latest bounty notice, which Star Seer took and looked over. Everyone else joined her, as they had not seen this one.

"Oh boy I wonder how much he is worth........now...." Rainbow Dash said, her voice trailing off as she read it.

Be it known to all those of evil intent, that a bounty has been placed upon the head of Liam, the foster child of Gorion.
Last seen in the region of Beregost this person is to be killed in quick order.
The subject is to be considered a formidable foe, and is likely to have well-equipped traveling companions.
This offer has been extended to all appropriate guilds. Those returning with proof of the deed shall receive no less than six hundred and eighty gold marks.
As always, any that reveal these plans to the forces of law shall join the target in their fate.

Everyone looked at the bounty notice, then at Liam, then back at the notice. There was a silence that followed for a time until Rainbow Dash finally broke it.

"Six hundred and eighty gold marks!" Rainbow Dash shouted as she flew over to Liam and dragged him over to look at the notice.

"That's more then well anything!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

"Don't be so excited lass," Feldrock said as he took the notice and rolled it up, "it makes mention of well-equipped companions. Meaning we now be targets as well."

Star Seer cleared her throat," Ahem. I assume that when you say we you are putting Minsc and I into this? Because I feel that we should have been told of this little piece of information."

"Boo would like to know as well. To not tell companions in arms of such things is without honesty, though any evil that comes to harm Star Seer will face my boot in their posterior." Minsc said proudly, though the look on his face showed that he too did not find this sudden bit of info being learned in such a manner.

"Oh please don't hate us," Fluttershy said meekly, "we...we didn't mean to lie to you but....oh please don't be mad."

Star Seer looked at Fluttershy, her eyes cold, "Then why did you not speak of this. If you are all being hunted then I would think that would be something to know."

"We did not mean ta lie to ye," Feldrock said, "but given the circumstance perhaps ye can understand why we would keep it hidden from ya."

"Perhaps," Star Seer said thoughtfully.

"If ye don't want to be dragged into our troubles ye can both leave. I'm not one to drag others into things that could get them killed." Feldrock said.

Star Seer rubbed her chin, then pulled Minsc aside and began conversing with him in a language that Liam did not understand. Though he did guess that it was probably their native language. Liam didn't bother to watch the two as they talked, instead kneeling beside the chaos spawn's body and checking it for any worthwhile loot. Other then the armor and weaponry, the spawn had a symbol of Discord about his neck under the chain mail and a ring with a golden band and lapis lazuli gemstone. Liam took the ring, sure that it might fetch a decent price. He was about ready to leave the body when he found a key one of the spawns trouser pockets. Liam glanced at the key and then to the chest near the bed. Could it be for the chest?

Liam stood up and headed for the chest as Star Seer and Minsc finished their coversation and turned to Feldrock and the others.

"While you did conceal something vital to our own safety from us," Star Seer said, making Twilight and her friends frown in shame while Feldrock stood impassive, "however....I suppose I can understand why you did. This are very dark times it seems."

"We're very sorry. Truly we all are." Twilight said.

"It is alright. Though as I said these are dangerous times and....while I cannot agree for this deception of withholding information I still stand by that it would be safer for Minsc and I to remain with others for as long as we can till we find safer grounds. We will remain with you then till our paths seperate."

"Yes, and if this bounty placing villain shows up or the hunters themselves, Minsc and Boo will deliver them to swift justice with our mighty backhand!" Minsc claimed as he flexed his muscles.

"Then if it be settled we should leave and tell Talon of this. Now that this chaos spawn is removed all should be well in time." Feldrock said.

"Indeed, then maybe me and my friends can head home." Twilight said.

"Gladly. This entire treck has been.....interesting but I simply need a relaxing time at the spa." Rarity said.

"Umm....are we sure that it was just this chaos spawn?" Liam called over from the chest.

Feldrock and the others looked over, Rainbow Dash saying, "Well duh. I mean it can't be any worse can it?"

"Well for two things. One, the spawn made a mention of someone named Tazok." Liam said as he held something in his hands.

Feldrock tensed up and gripped his blades tightly. Twilight and Applejack both looked over at him suspiciously. Feldrock had acted very strange when the chaos spawn had made that statement.

"That is right. Perhaps the spawn had an accomlice." Star Seer said.

Liam nodded as he turned with a scroll in his hands, "Indeed. Cause I have two scrolls here that have that man's name signed here. They are.....very interesting to say the least."

Everyone soon came over and looked at this scrolls. They all read it in turn and with each reading, it became certain that this was far from over and stretched farther then they could have imagined.


My servant Mulahey,
I have sent you the kobolds and mineral poison that you require. Your task is to poison any iron ore that leaves this mine. Don't reveal your presence to the miners or you will find yourself swamped by soldiers from the local griffon garrison. My superiors have recently hired on the services of the Black Talon mercenaries and the Chill. With these soldiers at my disposal, I should be able to destroy any iron caravans entering the region from the south and east. I don't want to deal with iron coming from the Nashkel mines, so don't fail in your duty.

Tazok.

Liam silently read the first scroll once more, then rolled it up and replaced it in his bag. He adjusted his seat on a log near the campfire, half heartedly listening to Rainbow Dash as she told one of her ghost stories. He looked up at the night sky, and again felt a relief to be able to see open sky.

'I still can't beleive we spent almost a day and a half down there.' Liam thought as he recalled their journey back to the surface.

The master of the mines had been grateful to learn that the mine was now cleared and felt confident that in time the ore from the mine would be back to good quality. Still, Liam felt sure that the damage of whatever the plot was had been done. He felt certain that the death of Mulahey would relieve the fears of the terrorized folk of Nashkel, but Liam felt uneasy and could tell that the others all felt the same. While the chaos spawn may have indeed caused the evils that befell the mine, the shortage of iron seemed to widespread to be his doing alone.

Liam took out the second scroll and reread it once more:

My servant Mulahey,
Your progress in disrupting the flow of iron does not go as well as it should. How stupid can you be to allow your kobolds to murder the miners?! With your presence revealed you should be wary of enemies sent to stop your operation. Your task is a very simple one, if you continue to show that you can't do the job, you will be replaced. I will not send the kobolds you have requested as I need all the troops I possess to stop the flow of iron into this region. With this message I have sent more of the mineral poison that you require. If you have any problems then send a message to my new contact in Beregost. His name is Tranzig, and he'll be staying at Feldpost's inn.

Tazok.

Tazok, a name that seemed to hold a meaning to Feldrock, if his murderous glint in his eye that appeared whenever the name was mentioned meant anything. Liam didn't know what the connection was, nor did he have any intention to ask at the moment. Liam knew that at times he could be a fool, it came with being a man as one of the librarians had told him once, but he was not suicidal.

"AHHH!"

Liam turned to see Fluttershy and Rarity holding each other as they screamed, Rainbow Dash laughing after apparently sneaking up on them during the scarey part of her story. Everyone just laughed, even Rarity and Fluttershy. Liam smiled, glad that for once they all had some time to have such fun.

Still, the only one that did not laugh was Feldrock, who stood near the edge of camp taking watch. Liam frowned, as the merc had been silent for most of the return to Nashkel and claim their reward from Talon.

Liam looked back towards Twilight and her friends, wondering of what they would do. Star Seer and Minsc had been surprised to know they traveled with the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, but the two were glad for the honesty. Star Seer herself had done something similar to Twilight did to him and had asked a numerous number of questions which Twilight had been glad to answer in exchange to answers of her own on Wraathman.

But still, what would the girls do now? They had only come to clear the mines, and now that it was done they could return to their homes, right? Liam wasn't sure and a part of him felt saddened that he might be separated from them as he had come to enjoy their company. Still it would not do anything to wonder on this, and so Liam rolled the scroll up and turned in for the night early. He felt sure that the days to come would be exhausting indeed.


Twilight watched Liam retire to his tent. She could not help but blush slightly, remembering how he had saved her. She wasn't sure why but her stomach felt like it had butterflies in it. She was not sure as to why she had this feeling now, nor of what she should do about it.

"Well I don't know about the rest of you but I'm gonna hit the hay. Night." Rainbow Dash said and retired to her tent that she shared with Pinkie.

"I reckon we should all get to sleep. Tomorrow is gonna be a big day." Applejack said.

"Sleep well then friends. Minsc and Boo will take the first watch," Minsc said as he stood, "no stinking evil will sneak up on us."

Everyone, save Feldrock who continued to remain silent, gave their good nights and entered their respective tents with their partners. Pinkie with Fluttershy, Feldrock and Liam, Star Seer and Minsc who took first watch, and Twilight with Rarity.

Twilight stepped into the large tent, and was greeted to a two room ground floor, a sitting room with a small table for two, and a sleeping room. A small stair case lead up to the small balcony. An enchanted tent for sure, and it suited Rarity fine. Though Twilight found it a bit much.

"Twilight," Rarity asked as she closed the tent flap,"can I ask you something?"

"Sure Rarity," Twilight said, looking over at her friend.

"Well darling, why have you been constantly staring at Liam every so often," Rarity asked, "it is very unlady like to stare at anyone for any reason."

Twilight blinked in surprised and blushed, "Oh...was that noticeable?"

"Very, though I don't think anyone really caught on to it. Most of the girls seem eager to be back home, but I don't miss a thing," Rarity said with a sly smile, "is there...something you want to talk about?"

Twilight bit her lip, unsure of what to say. What could she say, that she might have a....crush...on Liam. She wasn't sure she wanted to say anything, because that would be admitting to something and she did not feel confident nor sure that she could admit to something like this.

"Come now Twilight," Rarity said, sensing her friends hesitance, "you can tell me anything, so what is wrong?"

"Umm...well..." Twilight started, rubbing the back of her head, "I guess...I think..."

"You think you might have a little crush on Liam?" Rarity asked with a small smile.

Twilight blushed, "How...how did you guess that?"

Rarity giggled, "Darling, I know a little love struck behavior when I see it. Why I've seen Sweetie Belle act similarly as you did when Spike stayed over that one night when you had to leave Ponyville on a homework assignment. Honestly it was simply adorable."

Twilight blinked in surprise, but pushed that aside to focus on the now. She sighed and sat down, her head in her hooves, "I don't know why I'm acting like this. Maybe it's because he saved my life in the mines, but it just feels like its just rushing towards something that isn't even there."

Rarity frowned as she sat down in the chair opposite of Twilight, "So you think this is just a small infatuation for a man that saved your life?"

Twilight nodded, "Maybe. I've never really had alot of crushes before....I mostly just stayed in my tower in Canterlot and studied."

Rarity nodded, "Yes. Probably did not leave much for a social life. But you changed and this is good that your experiencing this."

It is?" Twilight asked.

"Of course," Rarity said, placing a hoof on her friends, "love is such a beautiful and wondrous thing, but you certainly don't want to rush into anything that could lead to heartbreak, nor to something that will not grow into anything beyond friendship. Also you hardly really know Liam, or how he feels about you or any of us. You have to take this very slowly darling."

"Slowly?" Twilight said confused.

"Of course darling," Rarity said, "I mean you really don't expect us to go back home after what we found in that awful creature Mulahy's lair."

Twilight blinked then frowned, "I...I don't know."

Rarity blinked herself, this time in surprise, "Don't know? Twilight, what do you mean you don't know?"

"I...I just don't know. The princess sent us to clear the mines, and we did. But with what we found points that something isn't right. The mines and this strange connection with the bandits and this strange Tazok person. I don't think the princess counted on something like that being found out."

"Not to mention that whoever is hunting Liam now has added us to their list. Frankly I don't think I could go home knowing that my presence could put everypony I care about at possible risk." Rarity said.

"That as well," Twilight said, "I just don't know what we should do. I can't leave Spike alone, just like the others can't leave their homes for long as well. But I would ti even be safe for us to go home given the circumstances?"

Rarity rubbed her chin, "Yes, this does seem to be a bit of a problem, and with no easy answer."

Twilight sighed, "I think I just need sleep. What with everything on my mind I'm exhausted."

Rarity nodded, "Yes, perhaps a good nights rest will do us all some good. We can make decisions tomorrow."

Twilight nodded and got up to head for her sleeping bag. Yet even as she prepared to rest, her mind was plagued with numerous problems. What was the connection with the mines and this Tazor person? What did it mean for Equestria? And why now did she have to start getting crushes like a school filly?

Twilight really could find no answers, and was grateful when sleep came to her. These things could be solved in the morning, when she was fresh and rested. At least...she hoped so.


When the morning light dawned, the group ate a light breakfast of dried fruit, some cheese and bread before breaking camp and continuing down towards Nashkel. All the way, Twilight thought on what she and Rarity discussed last night. Mostly of the scrolls found in Mulahey's lair, and of the bounty notice that now included all in their group to being targets of whoever was after Liam.

'He does have very nice eyes...' Twilight thought, looking over at Liam, who was talking with Rainbow Dash in the rear.

"So what happened next?" Liam asked.

"Well I immediately swooped down and caught Rarity and the Wonderbolts just before the hit the ground, all while doing the Sonic Rainboom at once. The ponies went wild." Rainbow Dash said, remembering the events at the Best Young Flier's competition.

"Hmm, now that would be a sight to see." Liam said.

"Maybe I'll show ya sometime," Rainbow Dash said, patting Liam on the back as she flew beside him, "I'm always ready to show my awesomeness."

Liam smirked, "I'll keep that in mind."

Twilight shook her head and focused on what was infront of her. Honestly she was acting ridiculous now, this was just a silly crush crafted by her mind after being saved from serious physical harm by Liam. It would pass in time, and besides it didn't mean anything.

'He wouldn't be interested in me anyway.' Twilight thought, frowning slightly.

Twilight shook the thoughts away though and focused on what they would do once they reached Beregost. It was a choice that she felt would change everything for both her and her friends.

'When we get to Nashkel, I'll ask all of them what they think. It will be easier to make a decision if I have all of their opinions.' Twilight thought, as the town of Nashkel came into view.


The group found Talon in his office at the barracks. The griffon was beak deep in papers, and seemed to have been up the entire night. When he heard the door open he looked up with a deadly glare, though it softened only slightly when he saw Feldrock.

"This had better be good news. I've been up all night and if I hear one bit of bad news I thinking I'm going to kill somegriffon." Talon hissed, causing Fluttershy to move away in fear.

"Depends on your perspective." Feldrock said as he took the two scrolls from Liam and handed them to Talon, "We cleared the mine. If any kobolds still remain they be high tailing it out eventually. We also killed whoever was behind the tainted ore."

"Kobolds eh," Talon said as he took the scrolls, "Filthy buggers. Still good to know the ore should be back to normal in time....I hope. Now what is in.....this..."

Talon went silent as he read the first scroll, then the second. Each word he read seemed to make him paler. When he was done he placed the scrolls on his desk and looked up at Feldrock.

"Well....from what I've read this don't seem to be good. At least for Equestria." Talon said.

"Aye. If the Black Talon and the Chill be working with the bandits on the road then something do be up." Feldrock said.

"Aye, and Tazok seems to be leading them." Talon said, looking at Feldrock with a look of worry and understanding.

Feldrock bit his lip, "Aye."

"Okay I've had it. We all agreed no secrets right?" Dash asked as she stepped up.

"Dashie...maybe you should.." Liam started.

"No. Feldrock's hiding something. He gets all tense when that Tazok guy is brought up, and now the mayor here seems to know something as well. What gives?" Dash said.

Feldrock turned sharply, hands gripping his two short blades. The look in his eyes could have killed a man twice over, and his hands trembled with a need to draw steel.

"Look ye damned rainbow haired bitch," Feldrock snapped, "If I be wanting to say something I will! If I don't then keep your damned mouth shut or I be tying a muzzle about it!"

"Feldrock! Enough!" Talon shouted.

Feldrock growled and glared at the griffon. Talon sighed and stood up, "My friend. I won't tell you what to do, I've learned that is like trying to tell a mountain to stop growing."

Talon walked towards a small safe and removed a well sized bag that clinked with the sound of coin inside, "This be the reward I promised. Take it and go where you all will, But Feldrock. If ye be going to do what I what I think your going to do. Don't drag the rest of them with ya blindfolded. You can't keep it inside forever."

Feldrock snatched the bag away, he seemed intent on saying something else but instead he simply stated, "I'll think about it."

Talon nodded and returned to his desk. Feldrock turned and stormed out of the office, leaving everyone shocked and confused.

"What was that about?" Rarity asked.

"Oh...maybe Feldrock has a bad history with...whoever this Tazok person is." Fluttershy said, torn between going to try and offer comfort to the merc, and staying with her friends in fear of Feldrock's anger.

"Well I say we found out." Rainbow Dash said.

"Rainbow Dash, I hardly think that will work." Star Seer said.

"Yeah," Applejack agreed, "did ya see that look in his eyes. I reckon if we asked again now we would be in for a world of hurt."

"I'm not afraid of him." Dash said, crossing her hooves over her chest.

"Rainbow Dash, this time don't go charging into the cave. Remember what your plan with that dragon did?" Twilight said.

Dash's ears flattened and she looked to the side, "Uh....oh alright."

"We should go." Liam said as he turned to the mayor, "glad to be of help."

Talon simply waved them away, his head already deep in more papers. Liam nodded and he and the others followed after Feldrock.


Liam and the others found Feldrock near the edge of town, only now instead of a large bag of coin, he now stood with a number of swords, bags of what Liam assumed was supplies, and three quivers of arrows.

"Took ye all long enough. I've gotten us all the supplies I feel we will need. At least for those of us that be staying with me and Liam. The rest of ye can be heading home when we reach Beregost." Feldrock said.

"My whatever did you buy Feldrock? Oh I hope you remembered to purcahse some of the lovely lavender scented soaps that they sell here." Rarity said as she began to inspect through the bag of supplies.

Feldrock just rolled his eyes, "Bought what was needed and plenty of weapons. Liam here."

Feldrock tossed over to Liam three longswords, as well as a quiver of arrows. Liam caught the weapons and looked at them confused, "Three swords?"

"The iron might not be getting corrupted anymore, but it will be sometime before anything produced from good iron reaches the markets. So for now we still be stuck with breakable weapons." Feldrock said, placing the two extra quivers at his back, along with an assortment of other minor weapons that Liam felt sure Feldrock would start drilling their use into his head.

He couldn't wait. He more he knew, the easier killing the armored figure would be. The thought brought a pleasant smile to Liam's face. Yes, it would be such a beautiful scene.

"We got a good few hours before night fall. I say we should reach Beregost either tonight or early the next morning. So if we all be ready, lets get moving." Feldrock said, and began to head down the road. His pace seemed to be ever so quicker now, as if he was anxious to be in Beregost.


Liam's wrists were starting to sting as he flicked the last knife at the tree. This time he managed to get the blade into the bark a few centimeters before it clattered to the ground.

"Geez Liam, how long have you been doing this?" Rainbow Dash asked, yawning as she looked up from her nap.

Liam sighed and got up to gather the numerous knives from the ground and tree. Out of the ten, only two had gotten into the tree and even then not at the center target Feldrock had carved onto it.

"This will be the.....tenth time." Liam said with a grimace. He rubbed his wrists, practically feeling the muscles crying for a reprieve.

"Sheesh, Feldrock seems to be going extra hard on you now." Rainbow Dash said.

Liam frowned, when the group had stopped for a rest Feldrock had pushed Liam immediately into more practice. In melee Liam fared better, but he was still bested. Then he spent the next quarter in learning to shoot the short bow he acquired from the bandit. Archery came a bit easier, but Feldrock added moving targets and other exercises for Liam to partake in that made it a challenge. Now was the knife throwing, and Liam still had not had time to even sit down and take a break for something to eat.

"Sheesh, I don't see what the big deal is. You fight alright, though not as good as me. I mean you beat a Chaos Spawn, which was pretty cool." Rainbow Dash said.

Liam frowned, "I barely made it with my life. It proves that there are opponents that are greater then me. Greater then Feldrock. I know of one already."

"Really?" Dash asked, hinting at a desire to know.

Liam simply nodded, and threw the knife. The blade flew true and stabbed deep into the bark, and Liam was already ready to throw another, the another after that. Each successive throw seemed to fade from Liam's mind as he concentrated on the visage of the armored figure, the tree taking that shape in his mind. Liam threw knives again and again, imagining the blood spraying fourth as the metal pierced through simply flesh into the heart.

"Liam!" Dash called.

Liam blinked, throwing the final knife and watching it collide into a pile of knives, stabbed deep into the center of the target on the tree. He blinked at the sight, then felt a smile come across his face.

"Dang. I was calling to you like three times. Feldrock says we got to get going. Nice aiming by the way." Dash said, flying off.

Liam blinked and looked back to Rainbow Dash as she flew to join the others on the road, "Leaving? But I didn't eat!"

Liam groaned and gathered up the knives, before running to catch up with the others. At times he didn't know if Feldrock wanted to help him...or kill him.


Liam felt his stomach growl more, and he rubbed it with a groan. He never got to eat anything during the lunch stop.

"Oh um...Liam."

Liam looked to his side at Fluttershy, looking down as the shy pegasus held something in her hoof.

"Um, well I know that you didn't get to eat anything when we stopped so...I thought maybe you would like something to eat. I have some of my daisy sandwich left over if you want some." Fluttershy said, offering out a wrapped half of a sandwhich with flowers between two pieces of bread.

Liam smiled, "Thanks Fluttershy...but I don't think I can eat flowers like you can."

Fluttershy blushed, "Oh...you're right. I'm sorry, its just that you sound so hungry and I thought....oh dear now I feel awful offering you something you couldn't even eat."

Liam chuckled, "It's alright Fluttershy. Thank you for the offer, but I'll be fine. I guess I'm just not use to going without lunch. Back in Candlekeep I always ate lunch, but I guess missing a meal comes with traveling."

"Oh, what was Candlekeep like? Twilight seems to get very excited when she talks about it." Fluttershy said, giggling a bit remembering how Twilight got when they first met Liam.

Liam chuckled, "Tell me about it. Well, Candlekeep is one of the greatest libraries in the world, probably the greatest library. Not even the Canterlot or Crystal Empire libraries come close to the collection of writings Candlekeep holds. The monks even said they held knowledge that was long forgotten in the outside world, but I never saw any so I can't be sure if its true."

"Wow. You must have read alot then." Fluttershy said.

"I received a very wide and diverse education, greater then the education a noble would acquire. Of course if I wasn't studying I was doing chores or practicing with the guards of the keep. Though I was sort of ignorant of what happened outside the walls. What about you? What's Ponyville like?"

"Oh Ponyville is a lovely little town," Fluttershy said, "I have a little cottage where all sorts of animals come and stay when their hurt or in need of care. Though...it is a bit close to the Everfree Forest."

"The Everfree? Arn't you worried about monsters coming out?" Liam asked.

"Oh a little, but they don't usually come out of the forest....well not all of them anyway." Fluttershy said, remembering the gibberlings and hobgoblins.

Liam nodded but moved the conversation along, "So you like animals?"

Fluttershy smiled, "Oh yes. It's my special talent after all. I love caring for little critters so much."

"Well you certainly have a kind and gentle heart then. I don't think animals would be so willing to let you help them if you didn't." Liam said.

Fluttershy blushed, "Oh um thank you."

Suddenly from out of the wood, a flash of lightning shot forth and took Feldrock by the shoulder. Two more shot out, striking Minsc and Rainbow Dash.

"AHHH!" The three shouted, falling to the ground as lightning sparked across their bodies.

"Rainbow Dash!" Fluttershy shouted, flying to her friend.

Out of the wood a figure jumped from the tree. He landed swiftly beside AJ, who reared back as she swung her front hooves out to strike at the attacker. The assailant dodged the strike, and slashed across AJ's chest with the blade of his ax.

"Ahhh!" Applejack screamed. The blade had cut through her armor, but it did not get far into the skin. Never the less the cut was a big one and she was bleeding.

The assassin kicked Applejack across the face, sending her to the ground. After that he charged Pinkie Pie and brought his fist down across her face and sending her to the ground as well. Twilight gasped and fired several bolts of magical energy at the attack.

"Get away from my friends!" Twilight shouted, firing magical shot after shot.

The assassin was struck by two of the bolts and was pushed back away from Applejack and Pinkie Pie, but his image split into several soon after. Twilight knew this to be a mirror image spell, and cast a spell of her own to counter it. Of course the attacker did not give her a chance to do more than that and unleashed another spell, this time a powerful gust of wind that blew Twilight off her hooves and to the ground.

"Twilight!" Rarity and Fluttershy gasped.

"You monster!" Rarity snarled and attacked as well. She did not know how to counter a mirror image spell, but she could blast them all till she hit the real one.

The assassin moved, his mirror image vanishing in puffs of smoke as each was destroyed. The assassin flipped his ax and magic channeled about the blade as he slammed the flat of the ax to the ground, sending a shock wave across the ground and sending Rarity, Fluttershy and Liam to the ground.

"I am death come for thee." The assassin said, standing straight as he slowly lifted his ax up,"Surrender, and thy passage shall be...quicker."

Liam got up, drawing his sword with a snarl, "Surrender? To you? Over my dead body."

The assassin smirked, and gave a harsh kick into Rarity, Twilight's and Fluttershy's stomachs as he passed them. The force of the blow winded the three ponies and left them groaning on the ground.

"Struggle if you must, dead-one, I do not mind working for my money. Nimbul will kill you first, then your friends after." The assassin Nimbul said, "why NIMBUL, has been hired to deal with the likes of you, I'll never know."

Nimbul charged, flinging his ax at Liam. The speed of the throw took Liam by surprise and he rolled to the side, the blade of the ax missing his shoulder by an inch. Liam rolled back to his feet and went to rush Nimbul while he was weaponless, but the assassin had another in his hands and was already rushing towards him. Liam brought his sword up to block an overhead strike, then pushed with all his strength to throw the ax wide and make an opening.

Unfortunatly Nimbul seemed to be a competent fighter, and brought his knee up into Liam's gut and shoving him back before going for a sideways strike. Liam moved to dodge, but the blade of the ax scored a blow across his arm. His armor softend the impact but the blow still left a gash in his arm.

"Agh!" Liam shouted, fighting the urge to grab his arm. He had to keep his sword ready to attack or block.

Nimbul came on him again, ax swinging down. Liam brought his sword up to block, but the ax stopped and then went down into a different angled strike. Liam cursed himself for falling into the feint, and more so as he felt the heavy weapon bite through leather and flesh across his shoulder. He staggered forward inn pain, and felt Nimbul knee him into the face and sending him back onto the ground.

Nimbul stood silently over him, kneeling down as he pressed his leg against Liam's chest. The assassin lifted up his ax to end the fight, but Liam snarled in defiance and once searched for that feeling of power that he had felt so many times before. It came to him easily, willingly and almost excitedly. Liam smirked and used that power, only instead of the tendrils stabbing from his hands alone, they shot from his hands, arms and chest and into Nimbul. The tendrils did not stab deep, Liam didn't know how he knew but he did, and already he felt the flow of life energy pouring out of the assassin's body and into his. Each bit of drained energy repaired his body, his shoulder wound the most as he did not want to risk lossing any cordination in his arm.

It was odd, Liam thought, that he knew how in this short burst of draining life from his enemy that he knew how to do it, and how to direct where most of that energy went. Though indeed it was for a brief moment, and the energy taken was only just a partial bit. Still it was enough to heal his shoulder enough, and his gash would not be as large a scar, but he would have scars. Liam didn't care, all he wanted was to kill Nimbul.

Nimbul cried out in horror and pain as he felt his life force drain from him. The assassin seemed to have a few lines under his eyes now, but Liam didn't bother to look. he got up quickly and tackled Nimbul to the ground. He didn't know why, but something inside of him demanded for a more physical retribution. All he felt was a strong desire to kill, and right now it would be Nimbul.

Liam smiled wide, showing his teeth as he punched the shocked assassin. Nimbul tried to bring his ax up to strike at Liam, but Liam grabbed the arm by the wrist and twisted till Nimbul screamed and he felt the bone resist any further twisting. Liam kept twisting, and brought his free fist down and heard the snap of bone and saw the hand go limp and the ax falling to the ground.

"Ahhh!" Nimbul screamed. Liam laughed and began to punch Nimbul again and again.

Nimbul tried to stop the assult, and had even managed to strike Liam across the face, but Liam ignored the blow. He was too focused on Nimbul. On killing.

'Stop.....stop.' He thought, feeling that something was wrong. But he kept going.

'Stop! No! Stop! NO!' He mentally fought himself, one side trying to stop, feeling something was wrong. But the other half wanted to continue, and even Liam as a whole wanted to end this. He was tired of assassin's, they had attacked him so many times and now Liam was sick of it. Each successive punch was a lashing of his anger, and it didn't stop.

Liam's fist kept coming down, even after the knuckles were red and Nimbul's face was a bloated mass of purple skin and red blood. The assassin had long stopped resisting, no stopped screaming. He just went silent. But he was still alive; something Liam meant to change. Slowly.

"Ahahahahaha." Liam laughed and wrapped his hands around Nimbul's neck. He tightened his grip and shook the assassin slightly, smiling with glee.

"Liam! Liam! LIAM!"

'Someone's calling me.' Liam thought and he looked up, even as he continued to strangle Nimbul.

Twilight, she was okay. Oh thank the heavens. And Fluttershy and Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie. They were okay. He looked to Rainbow Dash, and the others that had suffered a lightning attack. Feldrock, Star Seer, Minsc and Dashie groaned, and their bodies spasmed every so often. But they were alive as well.

"Oh thank goodness. I was worried about you." Liam said with a relieved smile.

No one said anything. At least the ones that could, they just stared at him with wide eyes. Why?

"L-Liam....." Fluttershy said fearfully, curling up beside Rainbow Dash.

"What is it Fluttershy? I'm fine. Honest." Liam said. Why where they all looking at him like that.

Liam looke down at Nimbul, and slowly removed his hands. There were dark marks along the neck where his hands had been, and the assassin's eyes showed the lifeless glaze of death.

Liam smirked and looked at the others, "We should see to the others. Fluttershy, go check on Applejack. Pinkie Pie, go help her. Twilight, you and Rarity help Feldrock and the others that got hit by Nimbul's lightning spell. I don't know anything about magic wounds."

The girls just stared at him, and Liam raised an eyebrow, "What are you staring at? Get to it!"

The girls snapped to attention and moved to do just that. Liam felt exhausted now. He always did when he drained the life force of another being. Still he wasn't tired enough to check a body for anything good. Liam knelt down and searched Nimbul's body. He found a scroll, and a two rings that seemed useful. The boots seemed to be his size, and Liam's pair were getting too worn. Liam removed them all from the corpse, planning to sort out what to keep and what to sell later.

Liam looked to the others. Fluttershy had Applejack up and were bandaging her wound after they had removed her armor. Twilight and Rarity were doing some sort of magic stuff that he guessed were helping Feldrock and the others. Liam moved to help them, yet even as he did he felt the girls eyes on him. Why? He had done the life draining thing before, why the uncertain fear now?

Liam did not know, but that didn't matter. He did what he could to tend to the injured, though he felt sure that Feldrock and the others would need better aid at town. Using her magic, Twilight fashioned a few gurny's and levitated the four gently as they finally made it into town. Applejack walked, though she kept it at a gentle pace so as not to disturb her wound anymore then needed.

They were quick to find the local hospital, and the doctors took injured to be properly tended. And so Liam, Fluttershy, Twilight, Rarity and Pinkie Pie sat there in the waiting room, waiting for word on their injured companions. All through this though, the girls sat from Liam, and every so often found their eyes looking at him.

Liam just sat there, looking over the scroll he had taken from the assassin. Even as he read, the images of his most recent kill played back in his mind. The images seemed almost pleasant to him, yet Liam wasn't sure if this was something to be afraid of....or accepting of.

'Somethings....wrong....or....is this right?' He thought, unsure of what to think.

Author's Note:

Not sure how many chapters this thing will have...maybe ten. Possible twelve or thirteen, or maybe less as it depends on how much I write per chapter. So far I've written alot in one chapter each, 6,000 + words at times. so possibly fewer chapters if I merge certain parts of the game.

Comments ( 3 )

this is very good please continue:pinkiesad2:

What has happened with this... Please continue.

Login or register to comment