• ...
4
 26
 1,008

Chapter Two: The Friendly Arm Inn

Liam stumbled through the night, nearly tripping over a tree root. Gorion had taken them off the main road not long after leaving Candlekeep and the two of them had been travelling through wood and field. Even after when night fell they walked for a bit, without so much as a torch to light their way. Even Gorion seemed hesitant to use a simple light spell, whatever worried him must be great indeed if Gorion would have them travel in such a way.

"Let's hurry child! The night can only get worse so we must find shelter soon. Don't worry, I will explain everything as soon as there is time." Gorion said.

Liam would be glad for any answer, and more importantly a stop to this stumbling in the wood. As they walked Gorion suddenly stopped and looked around with critical eyes. Liam had a sense that something was wrong.

"Something is wrong," Gorion said, "we are in an ambush. Prepare yourself."

Liam looked around, gripping the hilt of his sword as he looked around the dark wood, trying to find where the attackers would come from. Was it bandits?

Then from out of the darkness, stepped four figures. Two were large, muscular ogres. Their large forms made Liam feel very small, but the fact that ogres were here outside of the boundries of the Everfree Forest was amazing. Liam had only ever read about ogres in the many books that Gorion had instructed him to read, and while Liam was fascinated at seeing the beasts the large flails they held in their hands made it clear that this was not a time for wonder but a time for caution and battle.

The third figure was a surprise to Liam, she was a beautiful young woman. Her black hair melding with the night and in the moon light shining through the scattered trees made her skin seem almost unearthly pale. But the most frightening was the fourth figure.

Liam felt it was something out of the most terrifying of tales. The man was huge, Liam was sure it was a man. He wore the most grotesque of armor, adorned with spikes at the shoulders and the fingers of the gloves were sharpened to a point. The chest plate held a strange image of a skull surrounded by what looked like raindrops, that made Liam catch his breath. But that was not all, for the most terrifying part was the mans eyes. They glowed yellow in the darkness, and reminded Liam of hellfire, staring into those eyes made Liam feel as if he was staring into the abyss itself.

"You're perceptive for an old man," the armored figure said, his voice made Liam shiver, "You know why I'm here. Hand over your ward and no one will be hurt. If you resist it shall be a waste of your life."

Gorion scoffed and his horn began to glow a bright gray color, "You're a fool if you beleive I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

"I'm sorry that you feel that way, old man." The armored figure said, drawing a blade that would have needed two hands to hold. He held it high with one.

With that the ogres charged, weapons lifted to strike. But Gorion, despite his age, acted first sending a blast of lightning at the first ogre. The spell took the ogre through the heart, burning through its armor, and tearing out through the back. It fell over with a scream of death in an instant.

The next ogre was slain in equal fashion, barraged to death by a swarm of small red orbs that flew from Gorions horn and smashed into the ogre, filling it with holes. It to fell over dead. The woman however was a different story, for she was a spell caster. Liam saw her move her arms and hands in motions, fire gathering in her hands. Liam had no time to react before an arrow of fire blasted towards him, taking him across the shoulder.

"Ahhhh!" Liam screamed, feeling the heat of the spell tear through flesh and cauterize it shut. He fell to his knees, holding his shoulder.

"Run child, get out of here!" Gorion shouted.

The woman prepared another spell, but Gorion brought her down with a spell of his own. Unlike the previous two this did not kill her, in fact as Liam saw it had brought her into a state of slumber. Liam did not want to go, surely Gorion was winning, but when he saw the armored figure begin to stroll towards him Liam quickly got up and ran.

Gorion quickly stepped between the figure and Liam. The armored figure stood motionless for a time, almost amused by Gorions action, then he slowly began to walk towards him. Gorion quickly acted, sending a cascade of spells against the figure. Yet, despite the power of the spells they bounced off the armor and not leaving a mark on the metal or harming the man.

Liam stopped his running and turned, hoping that Gorion was behind him. He took shelter behind a tree and saw the scene of the battle. Well illuminated by the light of his horn and spells, Liam saw Gorion use all that he could muster on the figure, but it was all for naught soont he figure was ontop of him, the sword beign swung at a speed that was unnatural for its sheer size. Liam could only watch in horror now as the blade stabbed into Gorions body and out his back, his blood running down the blade. When the light of Gorion's horn faded, Liam turned and ran once more. He ran for as long as his legs could go, turning this way and that through the woods hoping to put as much distance between him and the figure.

His vision was becoming blurry, both from the pain in his shoulder and the tears welling up in his eyes. He soon burst from the cover of the trees and back onto the road. His heart was racing, and his lungs were crying for a break. Liam stumbled onward, gasping for air and in tears. Gorion was dead....Gorion was dead.

At that point Liam could run no more, and finally passed out from exhaustion and pain onto the grassy field beside the road, he closed his eyes and soon the world went black and he knew nothing else.


"AHHHH!" Twilight screamed as she ran. The rest of the girls right behind her.

Behind them even further back was a pack of Gibberlings, small hunchbacked humanoid creatures, with large tusks gutting from their mouths and each mouth filled with an assortment of sharp teeth. Their purple skin and wild unkempt black hair made their already feral appearance more terrifying and their long arms and claws, made it clear it was not best to be caught by them.

When they had first left Ponyville, the trip had seemed easy but when they had stopped for a bite to eat and rest, they soon realized how bad the roads really were. A whole pack of Gibberlings had descended upon them, and they were forced to retreat, off the road and into the wood. They had lost most of the pack, but a good fifteen more still followed them.

Applejack looked back at the pack following them and then took a hard right, "Split up, then meet back here."

Rainbow Dash nodded and flew upward, while Pinkie and Rarity went separate ways. Fluttershy was running trying to find a place to hide, and Twilight was just trying to get away. Still by splitting up the pack split as well, two or three following each pony. Applejack was quick to deal with her group, bucking rocks at the Gibberlings. She caught them across the head, knocking some unconscious. Finally the monsters gave up and ran off, unwilling to pursue such a painful prey.

Rainbow Dash dealed with the Gibberlings Fluttershy. She plowed into them at top speed and sent them flying into the trees. She was sure she had broken their backs or some bones, but she wasn't going to let those monsters make a meal of her friend.

"Oh oh dear Rainbow Dash, I hope you didn't hurt them." Fluttershy said worried.

Rainbow Dash blinke, then facehoofed, "Ugh. Only you could worry about a monster that was trying to eat you if it got hurt. Come on their fine. Let's go back now."

Fluttershy looked at the Gibberlings then to Rainbow Dash and nodded, flying with her back to where they had split up from.

Rarity was having a much easier time with her Gibberlings, as she had sent them flying with a spell after one had torn her dress. Such a crime against fashion had sent her into a frenzy and with a flick of her horn, sent the fiends into next tuesday.

"How dare you! Such a crime against fashion. Oh my poor dress." Rarity said, taking off the ruined clothes. She closed her eyes as she placed it on the ground, and bit her hoof.

With her dress ruined, beyond any possible decent repair, Rarity left it there and ran back to find her friends. She hoped her bags were okay, if the rest of her clothes were destroyed she might have a mental break down.

Pinkie Pie was having the time of her life, dealing with her Gibberlings. The poor beasts could not be sure if she would appear here or there, and finally they gave up and fled in fear of the pink pony, not wanting to risk going after a creature that could appear out of nowhere.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Pinkie said, sitting down and pouting that her fun was over. But finally she got up and went to find her friends.

Twilight was in a panic, she was not sure what to do and the Gibberlings were getting closer. She ran till she came to a dense collection of trees and could not run anymore. She turned and saw the Gibberlings begining to cut off her escape routes. Twilight backed away, her heart racing.

The Gibberlings snarled and drew closer, then they pounced. Twilight panicked and closed her eyes as she acted on instinct. A surge of magic, and three snarling screams greeted Twilight and she opened her eyes slowly to see the Gibberlings laying on the ground, each with a smoking hole in it's chest. She gasped and fell on her flank, she had killed them. Killed them with magic. Twilight felt sick, true she knew of some spells that could do such a thing, Princess Celestia herself had taught her one saying that sometimes a pony had to fight in order to protect her friends or loved ones. But till now she had never really used it, even when the changelings attacked Canterlot she had just used her magic to incapacitate them, not kill them.

And now she had taken three lives with her magic. True it was in self defense, but it made her feel sick. As if she had taken her gift of magic and made it something dark. Slowly she got up and ran from the scene. She wanted to get away from it, to forget that it had happened. But the image was locked in her mind, she only hoped that this mission would end soon so she could return to her home and what was normal for her, where she didn't have to use magic to hurt or kill another living thing.

Twilight found her friends, and they were all okay. She was glad, "Is everypony okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine. What about you Twilight, ya look a little shakey." Applejack said, walking over to her friend.

Twilight stiffed, "I...I'm fine...just a bit worn out from all of that."

"I agree, that was simply dreadful. I lost my favorite dress from those monsters." Rarity said, lifting a hoof to her head.

"I'm sure you got plenty back with the rest of our stuff. We better go and make sure its all okay, I'd hate to lose all that supplies." Applejack said.

"Yes, lets go." Twilight said, heading back the way to the camp.

By the time the party got back, it was well into the night and Twilight groaned at her well calculated plan now would have to be reworked. They could not travel at night, it would be too dangerous, so they would have to stay the night on the road.

"Okay girls, since those Gibberlings threw us off track we will have to spend the night out here." Twilight said.

"We should take cover in the woods, less exposed." Applejack said.

"Right, I'll got set up a place for camp." Rainbow Dash said, flying to the woods.

"I'll go with her and help out. The rest of ya gather up our stuff, we won't be too far in the woods." Applejack said, taking off after Rainbow Dash.

"Oh this is simply dreadful. But, luckily I brought my tent with me." Rarity said.

"Alright girls, lets get this all gathered up then. We want to wake up bright and early tomorrow." Twilight said, using her magic to get the bags all packed and picked up. She took hers as well as Dash's and AJ's.

Once they were all packed they went to the woods, and found where Applejack and Rainbow Dash had made camp. With that set they all set up their tents, or in Rarity's case opened a box and out a small tent building, with balcony, popped out.

"Seriously?" Applejack said.


The dawn was especially cruel that morning. Liam awoke, which meant that he was still alive, with the realization that he had not been living some horrible dream. Ambushed, he had seen Gorion cut down before his very eyes, and even his powerful magics could not stop the onslaught. It had been his wish that he flee, but that did not remove the feeling of helplessness and failure that now overwhelemed him. Liam felt new tears well up in his eyes.

"Hand over your ward." The armored fiend had said. He was after him, and him alone, but why? If only Gorion had given some clue, but now he was alone and lost. Candlekeep was near, but Liam knew he would find no shelter there. The readers paid for the serenity with rather draconian entry rules, and without Gorion's influence their doors would remain shut.

Liam got up and looked over his supplies, he had three days of rations, his sword, knife and his armor. Though the leather was damaged slightly from the fire spell, and the wound now throbbed with pain once more and it would no doubt be a scar for the rest of his life. Liam knew he would not last long with this meager equipment. Remembering what Gorion had said, should they be seperated, Liam looked to the road. Perhaps he would find help from Gorion's friend, at the Friendly Arm Inn.

With that course in mind Liam began to walk the road forward, he did not know where the inn was, but he was sure that he would pass a fellow traveller or perhaps a sign that would give direction to where it was. As he walked for a time, Liam stopped and looked back to the woods.

There, somewhere among those trees lay Gorion, dead. And Liam felt with fear, the very killer still, and yet Liam could not bring himself to go another step. Not until....Liam turned and walked back into the woods. He had to see the scene one last time, and perhaps maybe....maybe Gorion would have something on his....body. Something that might tell Liam something of what this entire business had been about. And, at the very least he could lay his foster father to rest.

Liam walked through the wood, stumbling to retrace his steps. With each step his fear grew ever more, was the figure still here? Was he waiting behind the trees to finish the job he had set out to do last night? Liam did not know, and at the slightest rustle of leaves or bird flying from a tree made him jump and draw his sword.

'Not that my skills would do any good. If Gorion couldn't defeat that monster, what good would my limited martial skills do?' Liam thought.

Finally he saw something familiar and then another until finally he found the area where Gorion had fallen. Liam hid behind a tree, unsure if the armored figure was still there. He waited for what seemed like an hour, till he slowly peeked out from the side. No one was there, just the bodies of the two ogres, and Gorion. The girl was gone, no doubt taken from the scene by the armored fiend. But was he still there?

A snap of a twig made Liam hide once more, and he carefully peeked out. He thought it was the attacker from before, but was surprised to see yet another monster from the books. A gibberling.

gibberlings were pests, they breed like rabbits and were always hungry, eating anything from carrion to each other. It was not odd to see packs of them sometimes rushing from the Everfree. He understood that the guards were killing them almost weekly or daily depending on how big the population had gotten. Sometimes the guard went into the forest itself to thin out the numbers a bit to make sure none left the woods. Of course they never fully exterminated them, Princess Celestia would never allow it. Of course the Everfree was so big, Liam doubted anyone or anypony could cull gibberlings off the world even if they tried.

Still gibberlings could be dangerous, and if someone was unlucky enough to be surrounded by a pack of them it was sure to be the end for that poor sod. Liam knew that if there was one gibberling, there had to be more. He did not move though, as he was watching the beast. He was cautious and intrigued at the same time.

The gibberling sniffed the air, then hobbled around some more over to the ogre bodies. It sniffed the bodies then took a big bite out of each. Liam felt sick seeing that, ogre could not have tasted good, and given that the gibberling spat it out he was probably right. But when the gibberling moved to Gorions body, Liam acted.

Rushing from the trees, sword drawn and screaming he charged the gibberling, taking it by surprise. He was not going to let this beast even take a nibble out of his fathers body. The gibberling roared as Liam attacked, slashing out with its claws. The claws dragged across the armor, cutting a bit into the leather, but not reaching Liam's flesh. Liam's blade however cut deep into the gibberlings shoulder, and then across its stomach spilling out its guts. Liam slashed one more time, slicing into the monsters neck and it fell to the ground dead.

But that was not the end. From the trees, three more gibberlings charged. The beasts snarled as they moved to attack Liam. Liam dove to one side, rolling till he reached one of the gibberlings. The beast pounced for him, mouth open and claws out stretched. Liam jabbed the sword forward down the monsters throat then lifted the blade up and over sending the beast flying to the ground, gargling and choking on its blood.

The two others closed the distance and pounced at Liam. One bit down on his leg, twisting his head. Liam screamed as he brought up his arm to block the teeth of the other gibberling. Still the weight of the beast brought him down. The two beasts clawed at him, twisting their heads. It was only by the grace of his armor that kept Liam safe from a certain death.

"Ahhh get off of me!" Liam shouted and dropped his sword to draw his dagger and plunged it into the head of the Gibberling biting his arm. He stabbed the blade again and again, splattinger brain matter and blood as he twisted the knife about with each time it pieced the flesh and bone. Finally the gibberling fell over dead, but the second was already tearing through to Liam's leg and he could feel the pain of teeth digging into his leg.

Liam snarled and grabbed the gibberlings head and yanked it, tearing teh mouth off his leg. It tore part of his armor but the beast was off and now trying to slash at Liam with its claws. Liam kicked the gibberling in the gut sending it back and into the ground. The creature gasped for air as Liam picked up his sword and charged, jumping and bringing his blade down into the beasts heart impaling it to the ground. The gibberling struggled, its arms and legs flailing here and there, but eventually it slowed and finally lay still.

Liam sat on the ground and spat. His armor was torn more, but nothing that could probably be fixed if he found a good tanner, he hoped he would not have to buy a new piece of leather armor. His arm would be okay, but he was sure he had small little cuts in his legs. He would have to clean those to avoid infection, who knew what gibberlings put in their mouths. Liam had a clue, looking at the ogres. Liam got up and wiped his blades clean on the ogres tunics before sheathing them.

He turned and walked over to Gorion's body. The poor unicorn lay there on blood stained grass, a large hole in his chest and back. Liam felt more tears in his eyes and he kneeled over the body as he cried. He picked up the body and held it to him, burying his face in the old gray mane. He sat there as he cried, and he would not have cared if the armored figure returned to kill him. Liam was now truly and utterly alone, as the only one he could call family had now been taken from him. Liam was an orphan without a past, and now without even a foster father. It felt as if the entire world was conspiring to cause him pain.

"Father....what do I do?" Liam asked as he set the body down. He looked at Gorions saddlebag and dug into its contents. He found a healing potion, a rare concotion that could cure almost any wound instantly. As well Liam found a bag of more common healing herbs, ointments and bandages. He took all of them, sure that he would need them. He also found a small bag of coin, only eight silver standards. Gorion must have given the rest of his money to Liam to purchase supplies. Liam took that too. He hated to do this, it felt as if he was robbing Gorion, he felt like a grave robber, but Liam was sure that Gorion would want him to do this. If these items would help keep him alive on his travels, Liam was sure Gorion would understand.

During his searching, Liam found something that made him gasp. A scroll, perhaps it contained information on why Gorion had called for their flight from Candlekeep? Liam took the scroll and opened it.

My friend Gorion,
Please forgive the abruptness with which I now write, but time is short and there is much to be done. What we have long feared may soon come to pass, though not in the manner foretold, and certainly not in the proper time frame. As we both know, forecasting these events has proved increasingly difficult, leaving little option other than a leap of faith. We have done what we can for those in thy care, but the time nears when we must step back and let matters take what course they will. We have, perhaps, been a touch too sheltering to this point.
Despite my desire to remain neutral in this matter, I could not, in good conscience, let events proceed without some measure of warning. The other side will move very soon, and I urge thee to leave Candlekeep this very night, if possible. The darkness may seem equally threatening, but a moving target is much harder to hit, regardless of how sparse the cover. A fighting chance is all that can be asked for at this point.
Should anything go awry, do not hesitate to seek aid from travelers along the way. I do not need to remind thee that it is a dangerous land, even without our current concerns, and a party is stronger than an individual in all respects. Should additional assistance be required, I understand that Feldrock is currently at the Friendly Arm Inn. He knows little of what has passed, but he is ever thy friend and will no doubt help however he can.
Luck be with us all. I'm getting too old for this.

E

"E?" Liam said, rolling the scroll up and putting it in his bag. So something had scared Gorion, and whoever this E person was had told Gorion to leave Candlekeep to avoid....whatever it was. Was it perhaps the armored figure?

Liam looked around, he decided he would ponder on this more when he was in safer territory. Still, he was not going to leave Gorion here to be eaten by scavengers. Picking up the body he carried Gorion's body away from the area and eventually out of the woods. He came to a large field of flowers, not far from the road. They were purple and yellow colored, Gorion's favorite colors. Liam felt this was as good spot and gently placed Gorion's body down, front hooves crossed over his chest.

Liam then set out to find stones, and for two hours he gathered stones until he had enough to full covered Gorion's body in a makeshift grave. Once Gorion was fully covered, Liam kneeld before the grave and bowed his head. He sat there for a time.

"I'm sorry father. I should have tried to help you.....I should have fought." Liam said, though he was sure that he would have died if he had, and that would have made Gorion's death in vein.

"I can't do much for you....but I promise you father, you will be avenged. I will kill the man that did this to you, I will plunge my sword into his foul dark heart. I promise you this." Liam said, gripping the hilt of his sword tightly. Shaking with a combination of grief and rage.

Finally Liam stood up, he had cleaned and bandaged before he had gathered the stone. He kept the potion safe, saving it for an emergency. His armor was still a mess, but he could probably get that fixed at the inn, surely if the town had an inn it had a tanner or smith.

With one last look at his fathers grave, Liam headed back onto the road. He was sure to have alot of ground to cover, and he wanted to be at the inn before night fall.


"Are we there yet?" Rarity asked, for what must have been the seventh time.

"For the last time no. And your whining won't make it happen any sooner." Applejack said.

"Whining. I am not whining, I am complaining. Do you want to hear whining?" Rarity said, "This is whining."

Twilight could not help but laugh at her friends antics. She looked over the map, at this pace they would be at the Friendly Arm in another two or three hours.

"So Twilight, what do you expect to do when we reach Nashkel?" Rainbow Dash asked, flying next to Twilight.

"Honestly Rainbow Dash I don't know. But the princess thinks that whatever is behind the iron shortage is stemming from the mine there. Considering that Equestria gets most of its iron from there it is a reasonable guess. Though I don't know what could be causing the iron to be bad." Twilight said.

"What do you mean by bad anyway? All I know is that anything with iron in it just breaks, why is that?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Twilight sighed, "Honestly, I don't really know. From the reports I've heard and read the iron seems to be rotten somehow, and the smelting process seems to carry it over. Swords, armor, nails, railroad spikes or tracks. It all just seems to snap either right in the middle of use or after some pressure is applied. Sometimes somepony gets lucky and their item can last them for a week, but in the end it just breaks. Unless you got something that was made years ago, good quality iron is almost impossible to find."

"I heard some rumors from some of my weather team that it was a griffon scheme of some sort." Rainbow Dash said.

That made Twilight stop in her tracks, "What? But that makes no sense, why would the griffons corrupt the iron in their own mine?"

Rainbow Dash shrugged, "I'm just saying what I heard. I mean maybe they got a shortage as well, but since the town is on their borders and under their control and all the iron comes from there it only makes sense a rumor like that would get started."

"But it's not true. If it was that could start a war, the Griffon Empire wouldn't try to do that." Twilight said. Was this the kind of rumors spreading in Celestia's court? And if so, were they also spreading among the populous? But worse...what if it was true?

"Hey rumors don't always make sense. Thing is though some people and ponies believe it. Especially the humans in Equestria." Rainbow Dash said.

Twilight could understand that, most of the humans that now lived in Equestria came as refugees years ago after some big war between their kingdom and the Griffon Empire. She guessed there would still be some animosity.

"Well whatever the reason, we're going to find out what it is and get rid of it." Twilight said.

"Alright, I'm with ya to the end." Rainbow Dash said before taking off to fly ahead and scout.

Twilight smiled for a moment, but soon frowned. Her mind was full with worry as she tried to piece this information together. She never really listened to rumors, but perhaps she would try to find some when they get to the inn. Even if it was all just wild rumors, she would at least know what was going through the populous and give her a clue as to the troubles that Celestia is having to deal with. Maybe she could find a way to help then.

"Wow!" Rainbow Dash said, after a few hours of travel.

"Impressive isn't it." Twilight said, looking up at the Friendly Arm Inn.

Inn didn't describe the Friendly Arm. Surrounded by high stone walls, and built on a hill surrounded by a deep ditch. A large bridge acting as an entrance to the main grounds the Friendly Arm looked more like a fort then an Inn. The Inn itself seemed more like a castle.

"That's an inn?" Rarity said surprised.

Twilight could not help but giggle.


"Ho there, wanderer. Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man."

Liam had been traveling for a good four hours, and the sun was well in the sky and would soon begin to descend into the horizon. On the way Liam had crossed paths with an old man, he wore a simple travel tunic and a wide brimmed pointy hat. He had a walking stick as well, and Liam could not help but chuckly slightly at the image. The old man looked like a child story version of a human wizard. When the man stopped to talk, Liam was a bit wary, but his fathers note had said to seek out help from travelers. Perhaps this man knew where the Friendly Arm was.

"It's been nigh unto a tenday since I've seen a soul walk this road, and I've been without decent conversation since," the old man continued, "Traveling nowadays appears to be the domain of either the desperate or the deranged. If thou wouldst pardon my intrusion, might I inquire which pertains to thee?"

Liam smiled, the man had a friendly and almost grandfatherly sort of presence, but his smile soon faded as he said, "A fair bit of desperate, actually. Might you know the way to the Friendly Arm Inn? I was told I might find a friend there."

The old man smiled, "That I would. The inn is but a short distance to the north, and its doors are open to all. I have no doubt that thy friend shall be there, waiting with open arms. You shall find the protection to the north of shelter, friendship and another kind, if thine eye be well enough to open and thy mind alert, but more than this I cannot say. My sympathies for any hardships the road has inflicted upon thee, though I am certain everything shall turn out for the best. My, but I have wasted too much of thy time and said too much already. I shall take my leave and wish thee all the best."

With that the old man continued down the road. Liam frowned as he watched him go. He was a bit odd.

'Yeah....for the best.' Liam thought bitterly. Still he knew his direction now, and so he took down the road till he reached a crossroads and then head up north. If figured if he sticked to the road he would avoid any wild animals. But he might also run into bandits. Still, the road was for the moment clear and thus the safest path. With the sun beginning to descend, Liam took off at a run hoping to cover some distance.

By the time the sun was well into the horizon and painting the sky orange Liam stood before the Friendly Arm, and his jaw dropped. He had not expected this when he thought of an inn.

"This is an inn?" He said to himself.

Liam shook his head, he felt stupid just standing here with his mouth hanging open. He took off up the hill, his heart pounding with some excitement. Soon he would find Feldrock, and maybe he might have some answers to his questions. Surely this Feldrock would know something, if the strange E person had told Gorion to seek him out. On the way up, Liam spotted a strange sight. A herd of six colorful ponies, two of each kind. Two pegasi, two unicorns and two earth ponies. They seemed packed for travel and their path up the hill would soon merge with his.

Liam stopped and offered a friendly wave over to the group of five. Wait...five? Where was the sixth?

"Ohmygosh!Hellothere,mynameisPinkiePie. WhenIsawyouonthehillIwasalllike, ohsomeoneIdon'tknowandwhenyouwavedhelloIknewyouwerefriendlyandIjusthadtosayhello.Ohyoulookabittravelworn, ohmygoodnesswereyouattacked, wewereattackedaswell.Awholebunchofgibberlingstriedtogobbleusup, ohheydoyouwanttobefriends?" A hyperactive and puffy mane and tailed pony said, standing real close to Liam.

"Ahh." Liam gasped, falling back onto his rear by the sudden appearance of the pony. How did she get up here so fast? How did she do it without him seeing her do it!?!

"Geez Pinkie Pie, give the guy some space. He looks like he's been through alot." A cyan pegasus said, flying over.

"Oh, right hehehe. Sorry mister." Pinkie said, stepping back from Liam.

Liam got up on his feet, "Uh....no problem uhh Pinkie is it."

Pinkie nodded, "Yep, oh and this is Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack and Twilight." Pinkie had taken Liam by the hand and pulled him down to wrap a hoof around his shoulder as she pointed out each of her friends.

"Oh my goodness. Darling you look simply dreadful, and that armor you are wearing looks simply barbaric." Rarity said, walking over and expecting Liam's attire.

"Uh well....I..." Liam said.

"Oh my goodness, you're hurt. Are you okay? What happened, oh let me see them maybe I can help." The yellow and pink maned pegasus, Fluttershy, said as she flew over, checking the bandages on Liam's head and leg.

"Thanks but...." Liam tried to say.

"Girls, give him some space. He looks a bit nervous." Twilight said, laughing.

"Oh I'm sorry, please don't be mad. I...I just saw the bandages and I...eep." Fluttershy said as she flew back and hid in her mane.

"It's no problem...really." Liam said.

"Sorry about all of that, my name is as you know by now Twilight Sparkle. We're from Ponyville." Twilight said, offfering a hoof out.

Liam kneeled down a bit and took Twilights hoof in his hand and shook it, "I'm Liam. I'm from Candlekeep."

When Twilight's eyes widened, Liam felt sure that perhaps he should have kept that to himself. If Pinkie and Fluttershy had gotten up close, Twilight was not fully invading his personal space.

"Really! Candlekeep, the greatest library in all of Equestria, no the world! Even better then the library at the Crystal Empire!" Twilight said, advancing on Liam with wide and excited eyes.

"I...uh...yes.....uh..."Liam said, backing away up the hill.

"What's it like? Do they really have the entire collection of Star Swirl the Bearded's works? Do they have the complete almanac of flora and fauna in the zebra lands? Are the entire prophecies of Alaundo there?" Twilight asked.

"I...yes....umm..." Liam said.

"Twilight! Geez girl, give the guy some space." Applejack said, pulling her friend back with a chuckle.

Twilight blinked then blushed, "Oh ummm sorry. I just...I really love books and the library at Candlekeep has been the one place I've always dreamed of visiting."

Liam chuckled nervously, "Its no big deal....really. Uh...what brings you to the inn?"

"Oh were traveling darling." Rarity said.

"Yeah, we're on a super secret quest but don't tell anypony okay." Pinkie said, pointing a hoof at Liam.

"Pinkie." Twilight said. Rainbow Dash facehoofed.

Liam blinked confused, "Uh....okay.... I'm here to meet a friend. Since we are both heading to the inn maybe we can talk on the way. I would like some conversation."

"Sure. Oh i got so many questions." Twilight said as she started up the hill.

Liam chuckled, he could tell this was going to be a very long day. The rest of the ponies also engaged him in conversation as they walked up and once they had been told the rules of the inn, they walked over the bridge and into the inner grounds of the Friendly Arm.

"So how did you get all beaten up anyway." Rainbow Dash asked, she was forced to walk as the rules prohibited flying, something that irritated her greatly.

"Oh, well like you I had a bit of a run in with some Gibberlings." Liam said.

"Oh my, how did you get away darling?" Rarity asked.

"Well...I didn't. I took one by surprise and killed it swiftly, but the other three surrounded me. But I came out on top in the end, thankfully." Liam said.

"You...you mean you....eep." Fluttershy hid in her mane and backed away a bit from Liam.

"Oh my....I...well that is just.." Rarity said, unsure of how to go about now in conversation.

Twilight bit her lip. She had killed gibberlings as well, but while she felt such regret this human didn't seem to be phased.

"I know most ponies don't take well to killing, but those beasts would have killed me if I hadn't killed them." Liam said.

"I suppose....perhaps we can pick a different conversation topic." Rarity said.

"Yeah, I think thats fer the best." Applejack said.

"Right...well umm...whats Ponyville like?" Liam asked as he started up the stairs into the inn portion of the Friendly Arm.

Before Pinkie could respond, in what Liam was sure to be a fast paced talk, a man in a robe walked down the stairs and approached them.

"Hi friend," The man said with a smile, "I've not seen you here before today. What brings you to the Friendly Arm?"

Liam blinked, was every stranger going to come up and ask him what he was doing?

"Oh hi there. My names Pinkie Pie." Pinkie said, approaching the man.

The man gave a slight smile to her, "A pleasure. But please let him speak."

Liam blinked, "Um....I'm here to meet a friend."

The man smiled more, "Oh, you must be whom I am to meet then. I will take you to your friend, but first I should be sure you are the correct person. Is your name Liam?"

"Liam...I don't think." Rainbow Dash began.

Liam was confused, something seemed off. Rainbow Dash seemed to be able to tell as well, but if this man could lead Liam to Feldrock then Liam had to trust him.

"Why, yes it is" Liam said.

The man laughed slightly, "Perfect. You are indeed the person I seek. Hold still a moment, won't you?"

And with that, the world turned upside down. The man slammed the stairs with his staff and sent out a blast of wind that sent Liam and the ponies off their feet and hooves. Pinkie went flying into the wall and fell to the ground groaning. Rarity and Applejack were blow off the ledge and fell to the ground. Rainbow Dash was blow back, but quickly recovered and dove to catch AJ and Rarity before they hit the ground. Fluttershy and Twilight were blown down the stairs, and both hit the ground and had the air knocked out of them. Liam was in the same boat, but he had landed a bit on the stairs. His head had hit the stone step and his vision was dizzy, but adrenaline pumped through his body now and he quickly got up staggering as he drew his sword.

The guards were quick to act, firing arrows at the assassin, but the mage waved a hand and soon seven more images of him appeared. Liam couldn't tell which was which, and neither could the guard. Their arrows flew and hit only copy images, passing through them harmlessly.

The mage assassin wasted no time and began to cast a series of spells, sending out small balls of red towards Liam. They were the same spell that Gorion had once used and when the spells hit Liam they exploded slightly on impact.

"AGGGH!" Liam screamed, stagger to and fro with each strike from the orbs. He charged blindly forward and started to swing his sword wildly, trying to find and hit the real mage.

The mage laughed with each unsucessive strike from Liam and sent more orbs to strike him. Liam was soon on the ground, coughing and bleed from injuries. His vision was getting blurry and he stared up at the multiple mage with fear.

"Time to end this." The mage send, holding up a hand as lightning charged in his palm.

Suddenly there was a swoosh of air, and the lightning faded from the mages hands. Liam blinked and looked at the mage, who stood there with a shocked look on his face. Then...the top half of the mage fell backward, and his legs foward. A fountain of blood gushed out, splattering all over the stairs and on Liam.

"What the..." Liam said and turned his head slightly. There on the top of the stairs was a giant of a man, thick corded muscles bulging from a mail shirt. In his hands was a monster of a blade, the edge chipped from years of use but the blade still shone with well maintained care.

"Don't die on us yet lad. Just sit tight and you'll be right as rain." The man said.

Liam tried to say something, but the pain from his wounds soon made him pass into the land of unconsciousness.


When Liam awoke, he found himself in a small room. The bed was wide and soft, and the dresser and night stand were carved from the finest oak wood. He looked around confused, where was he?

"Back among the living ye be, aye?"

Liam turned and saw the large man from before, he sat on a stool next to the bed.

"Where am I?" Liam asked.

"Ye be in my room, in my bed in the Friendly Arm Inn." The man said.

"Oh...I'm sorry I-aggh." Liam hissed as he tried to get up.

"Try not to move. I got a healer to take care of the worse injuries, but ye be in no shape to move for a time." The man said.

"What about Twilight....and the others?" Liam asked.

The man smirked, "The ponies be okay. Their in the room next to this one. A little bruised and the yellow one seems to be having a mental breakdown, 'specially after she saw our friend mage out there cut in two."

Liam sighed in relief, he had liked the ponies and he would have felt bad if they had been hurt because of him. The mage had been after him, but why? Why was he wanted dead?

"Now then, since ye be awake perhaps you can tell me of this." The man said, taking out a scroll and offering it to Liam.

Liam took the scroll, on it was a poorly drawn picture of him and a notice under it, Liam read it over.

Be it known to all those of evil intent, that a bounty has been placed upon the head of Liam, the foster child of Gorion.
Last seen in the area of Candlekeep, this person is to be killed in quick order.
Those returning with proof of the deed shall recieve no less than two hundred gold standards.
As always, any that reveal these plans to the forces of law shall join the target in their fate.

"Two hundred gold standards." Liam said in awe, that was more money then most common men ever gained in their life. It was no small sum.

"Too much in my opinion for a wet fish like ye self." The man said.

"I...I don't get it....I don't know anything of why this is. Honestly I don't know why." Liam said.

The man took the notice, "I believe ye. You don't look the type to go messing with those that can put such a price on ye head. Hells ye barely look ready to be off your mothers apron strings."

Liam bit his lip, "I'm not defenseless. I can hold my own."

"Oh yes...you proved that very well." The man said.

Liam looked away, "I...I killed four gibberlings."

The man slapped his knee and laughed, "Ahahha, gibberlings be small fry. Any farmer with some sense can kill them."

Liam bit his lip and buried his head in his pillow.

"Ah, don't be sad boy. Ever great fighter starts like ye, and now that you got ye arse handed to ye you can start really becoming great." The man said.

Liam turned and looked at the man, "Look, I thank you for your help, but I have to find a friend. I was told he would be here, his name is Feldrock. Do you know him"

The man blinked, "Aye...I might. How do you know him?"

"My father Gorion told me to seek him out here." Liam said.

"Gorion? I understand Gorion be a pony....how is a pony the father of a human?" The man asked.

"Well...foster father...I don't know who my real parents are." Liam said.

The man hummed, "And where be Gorion then?"

Liam bit his lips, "He....he's dead."

The man's eyes seemed to widen and he looked down, his face dark with shock.

"Aye...I be knowing Feldrock, I am he." The man said.

Liam blinked, "You're Feldrock?"

"Aye. And you are Liam, Gorions ward. He spoke of you in his letters he sent our little group. When I saw you here and no sign of he, I had feared the worse. The pony would not have let his ward wander on his own, but...to hear it from ye....He will be missed, he was a pony I was proud to call friend." Feldrock said.

Liam looked up at the man, he was not sure what to say. So he said nothing. After a moment Feldrock stood straight.

"Well lad, I be Feldrock, so ye found me. But right now ye be needing rest. When you're fit for travel we will talk more. For now rest, I'll see the cook brings ye breakfast in the morning." Feldrock said.

Liam nodded, "Alright. Thank you....for saving me."

"Don't thank me yet boy. In the coming days ye might start wishing you had died this day." Feldrock said with a smirk as he left.

Liam blinked, 'What does he mean by that?' He thought. He had a bad feeling that the coming days were not going to be fun. Still, despite this he soon found himself fading back into sleep and all the worries of the world soon meant nothing to him.