• ...
4
 26
 1,007

Chapter One: Preperations

Nestled atop the cliff that rise from the Dragon Tooth Coast, the Citadel of Candlekeep houses the finest and most comprehensive collection of writings on the face of the world. It is an imposing fortress, kept in strict isolation from the intrigues that occasional plague that rest of the world. It is secluded, highly regimented, and it was home.

Liam walked through the stables, stopping to stroke the feathery crown of the land strider that stood in one of the stalls. The feather frilled lizard bent its head in to Liam's hand, purring with delight at the attention as he scratched the scales under the feathers. Liam smiled, "Hey there girl."

Liam stopped, much to the irritation of the Land Stider, and set to refill her food and water trough. A Land Strider might seem like a meat eater, but those who did not know the beasts well would be surprise to see that they infact enjoyed to eat plants. Lotus flower petals the most. Once Liam was done he looked to the rest of the stalls and moved to do the same for the other Land Striders that slumbered in their stalls, but the stable door busting open drew his attention.

"There you are my child."

"Father?" Liam said, as a grey maned unicorn walked in, a small bag levitating beside him.

The grey maned unicorn was named Gorion, an odd name for a pony and some would say even more odd to be called father by a human. But, Gorion was Liam's father, not biologically by adopted. Either way though, Liam saw the old pony as close to a father he had, and so he always called him father.

"No time to talk child, take this gold and go to the inn and purchase supplies. We will be leaving Candlekeep soon and you must be ready to travel. Go now." Gorion said, pushing the bag of what Liam assumed to be coin into his hands.

Liam was confused, "Father. What-" but before he could ask, Gorion was already out the door and leaving Liam both confused and worried. Unsure of what else to do, he moved to do as his father had instructed.

Within these hollowed halls of knoweldge, Liam had spent most of his nineteen years of life within the keeps austere walls, under the tutelage of his foster father, the unicorn sage Gorion. Acting as his foster father, Gorion had raised Liam on a thousand tales of heroes and monsters, lovers and infidels, battles and tragedies. But one story was never told, that of his true heritage. Liam knew he was an orphan, after all no pony could breed with a human, but his past was largely unknown.

Recently Gorion had been growing distant, as if something weighed heavily on his heart. When Liam asked about his concerns as gently as he could, but his queries had been in vein. The only comfort Liam had was that Gorion was a wise pony and that he would tell him when the time was right. Never the less, the silence had been troubling and Liam could not help but feel that something was wrong.

And now Gorion was interrupting him in the middle of his chores, giving him a bag of coin and left to purchase supplies for a strange and unexpected journey. Liam looked at the coin purse in his hand, and then to the sign of the Candlekeep Inn. He did not know what was going on, but whatever it was he would find out eventually.

'And I might as well be prepared for....whatever happens.....but what should I get?' Liam thought, as he stepped inside to the warm music and conversation within the inn.


Twilight sipped her tea, her eyes scanning over her book. Next to her was a large pile of books, all neatly stacked. She was already on the third one, and she had twenty two more to read, all by this weekend! She felt so excited, she would prove to Princess Celestia she could handle this, besides she loved to read.

"Twilight!"

Twilight turned to see Spike run up the stairs. He leaned against the wall to catch his breath before running up to Twilight.

"Twilight...I...Princess...Scroll.." Spike said between breathes before burping a small jet of fire and a scroll appeared.

"A letter from the Princess?" Twilight said, she hadn't expected a scroll from Princess Celestia until the weekend. She took the scroll and looked it over.

"What's it say?" Spike asked.

As Twilight read her eyes grew wide, and she seemed to grow pale. Spike shook Twilight, trying to get her attention.

"Come on Twilight, what's wrong?" Spike asked.

"Spike, get my quills, ink, all of my books here, and maybe a few fro the library. I'm going to go get the girls." Twilight said, lifting a saddle bag for Spike to fill and pushing it into his claws.

"Huh What? Twilight what's going on?" Spike asked.

"No time. Be back soon, remember to pack the Travelers Almanac of all things on Travel." Twilight said before vanishing in a poof of magic.

Spike just stood there confused, sighing and grabbing the scroll from the desk and looked it over.

My faithful student, Twilight Sparkle. As you know, the recent iron shortage in Equestria has caused a great deal of trouble in the kingdom. It has grown worse with the recent increase in bandit activity along the roads, and now there are rumors spreading among my council. I won't worry you with the details, but it is very important that the shortage is ended soon.

Thus, I ask once more for you and your friends to help in keeping the kingdom safe. Travel to the mining town of Nashkel, where nearly all of our iron is obtained from. Whatever is plaguing the iron must be there, and I want you to find it and if necessary remove whatever is the cause for the corrupted iron. I will not lie, the trip could be dangerous as the bandits have grown more and more active but you are the only ones I can trust and send to deal with this problem.

I await a message when you arrive in Nashkel, and whatever you discover in the mines. I know you will not fail me.

Sincerly, Princess Celestia.

Spike dropped the scroll, Twilight was going away? He knew that the iron shortage had been bad but if Princess Celestia was asking Twilight and her friends to help then something must be really serious. He quickly got to doing what Twilight had asked of him, but he added his own personal touches like a bag of his home made double swirl chocolate chip cream cookies.

"I better pack as well, Twilight's gonna need to bring me along as well if she wants to send letters to the princess. Oh boy this is going to be so exciting." Spike said as he got to work.


Liam moved among the tables, moving past people and ponies as they laughed, drank or gambled. Dice and cards games lined a table or two, and no one ever cheated. Winthrop ran a clean house, and any trouble makers would pay a rather hefty and expensive fine if any trouble was caused so the Candlekeep Inn was a very peaceful and friendly establishment. Liam smiled, remembering the many good nights of drink and dice with some of his friends here, and the tales he would listen to from travellers when he was even younger.

But now it seemed he would be leaving, and while to leave his home did sadden him, the thought that he would be able to make his own adventurous tale to share when he returned filled him with an excited and anxious energy.

'That is...if I return at all.' He thought, the look he had seen in Gorion's eyes told him that perhaps their departure would be for a great deal of time.

'So I better get what I can, I hope Winthrop knows what I'll need.' He thought as he finally reached the bar desk.

Winthrop was a round, pudgy man of perhaps forty summers. A residing hair line of bowl cut black hair presided over his head and he wore a friendly and welcoming grin on his face as he wiped the bar with a cleaning rag. Winthrop spotted Liam approaching and stopped his work as he greeted him.

"Well hello there, young one," Winthrop greeted, "come to pay your old pal Winthrop a visit have ye? Well don't forget the 5,000 gold standard book entrance fee, as per Candlekeep custom, doncha know."

Liam chuckled, "You always were a big kidder, Winthrop."

Winthrop laughed as well, "Haw, just having a bit o' fun with ye, me friend. Them monks my be walking about with poles in their nethers, but you know you always be welcome here in my sight. Gorion did well by you, he did. So what brings you here, you usually be in the middle of your chores by this mark."

Liam frowned, "Aye, well something seems to have come up. Gorion pulled me from my chores and told me to purchase supplies and equip myself. We seem to be leaving Candlekeep, but I am not sure what I need to purchase."

Wintrhop frowned and leaned forward a bit, "Leaving Candlekeep? Hmm, I can't say that would be wise, given what I be hearing from those that stop in my inn. Bad stuff be going on outside the walls, but if Gorion says ye be going I guess he must have a reason."

"I'm sure he does. So do you have any suggestions, the only thing I can think of his food and water, but I don't really know how bad things are outside the keep. What can ye tell me?" Liam asked.

"Hmmm," Winthrop hummed as he ducked under the bar and pulled out a worn travel bag, "Well if ye be going I can lend you this to help carry whatever supplies you get. As for suggestions, let me step into the back and see what I got."

Liam nodded as he graciously accepted the bag, "Thanks Winthrop. Just let me know what it all costs, Gorion gave me some coin so I should be able to purchase what I need."

Winthrop nodded and headed into a back room behind the bar. Winthrop's inn was more then just a place to rest for a night or have a drink, he also sold some pieces of armor and a weapon here and there. He didn't have much as he was not a blacksmith, but he did have some pieces of iron or leather that might be worth acquiring.

'If he is going to suggest a weapon, then things must be really bad on the roads. Is Gorion really sure we should be leaving?' Liam thought.

When Winthrop returned he had in his arms an assortment of items. He placed them on the bar top and sorted them out, "Not sure how long ye be gone on the road, but I can give ye three days of rations. Got some decent jerky here and some bread and cheese to offer, as well as a few apples. And trust you me lad, these apples be the best in the land straight from Sweet Apple Acres."

"Thanks Winthrop, what about those?" Liam said, pointing to the other pile as he offered the needed coin for the food. Gorion had given him three gold standards, which had made Liam's eyes widen, as well as thirty silver standards and at least fifty coppers.

"Well I got here some decent leather armor, that should fit ye like a glove. Also got a few daggers and a blade here." Winthrop said as he lifted the blade gently as if he was holding a child so Liam could see the edge.

Liam knew on how to use weapons, Gorion had seen that he had spent a good deal in practicing with the guard in the use of weaponry. Liam guessed it was probably in case something like today were to happen.

"Leather seems good, but don't you got maybe some chainmail? I'm sure I can afford it." Liam asked.

Winthrop frowned, "Aye, I'd not suggest wearing anything of metal outside these walls. Hells, I'd rather not offer you the sword at all, but a knife won't do ye any good in the long run."

"Why? What's wrong?" Liam asked.

Winthrop's face grew dark, "Somethings strange been happening these past few months. Iron's been going bad, just falling apart almost as if it were rustin' for no particular reason. Bandits have been going crazy, gutting any travel or caravan that shows even the tiniest bit of metal on them. Hells, they kill ya for even a butter knife, just last week one of my brand new knives just broke. It's tough to find good quality iron, and most 'o this 'bad iron' comes from the mines at Nashkel. Can't trust those griffons; probably some scheme they've come up with."

Liam frowned, "Really that bad huh? I guess I can see why you think leaving is a bad idea."

"Aye," Winthrop said with a nod, "I'd just stay put here till whatever be going on pass over. Still, if ye be going I suggest keeping any metal ye got on ya hidden, and wear only some good solid leather. Least leather don't go rotting on ya."

Liam nodded, "Thanks Winthrop. How much for the leather, and the sword?"

"The leather be fifteen silver standards. The sword be two gold standards." Winthrop said.

Liam choked, "Two gold standards!"

Wintrhop lifted his hands in defense, "Sorry lad, but like I said iron be rotten right now, ye got to pay a good penny to get something that will last long, and even then it ain't be a guarantee that it won't break after some use."

Liam sighed and took out the needed coin, "Alright. I guess I can't complain. Here and thank you again Winthrop."

Liam gathered the supplies, wrapping the food and placing it into his bag. He took the armor and sword and turned to leave, but Winthrop grabbed his arm.

"Before ye go lad, take this." Winthrop said, passing a sheathed knife to Liam, "That dagger belonged to me grandfather, killed a hobgoblin with it, stabbed it right in the eye he did. Might not be much, but it was made before all this iron business so I can grant ye it won't break on ya no matter how much ye use it so long as ye take good care of it."

"I don't think I have enough to purchase this Winthrop if the metal is as good as you say." Liam said, looking at the well kept blade.

"No charge. Keep it, maybe it will help keep you alive out there, and besides a good dagger can save your life." Winthrop said.

Liam blinked and nodded, sheathing the dagger and strapping it into his belt, doing his best to hide it while still making it accessible to get should he need it, "Thanks Winthrop."

"Just try to stay alive out there lad." Wintrhop said before pulling Liam into a hug.

Liam returned the hug, feel sad that he would be leaving. Yet happy to know that he had such a friend as Winthrop.

"Ye better get going then. Change into that armor before ye leave the keep. Take care lad." Winthrop said as he pulled away from Liam.

"Thanks Winthrop." Liam said, and headed out of the inn.


In Ponyville, inside Twilights library she and her friends were gathered. Twilight had just teleported right when they were all in the middle of something before going off, and the five friends were a bit miffed and expecting a full explanation from their friend. All they had gotten so far was a, 'meet at the library now.'

"What do you reckon is going on?" Applejack asked.

"Probably something from Princess Celestia. Twilight doesn't really get all teleport crazy like she was unless it is something important." Rainbow Dash said, as she flew over her friends, taking a look at the latest Daring Do book.

"I hope its not another dragon." Fluttershy said softly, shivering a bit in fear that was exactly what the problem was.

"Don't be scared darling. If there was another sleepy dragon we would have seen smoke." Rarity said, placing a hoof on Fluttershy's shoulders.

"Oh maybe Princess Celestia wants to invite us to another Gala. Oh maybe she wants me to plan the next one, oh that would be so much fun." Pinkie said, bouncing up and down.

The other girls shivered, remembering the last time they went to the gala.They were not exactly looking forward to going to another one.

"No Pinkie. It's not a Gala invitation."

The girls turned to the stairs to see Twilight coming down, a scroll levitating beside her.

"But it is a message from the Princess. And a very urgent one." Twilight said as she passed over to her friends to read.

"Awsome, looks like we got to save the day once again." Rainbow Dash said, a big grin on her face.

"Oh my, the thought of walking through a dank smelly mine is simply atrocious. I will simply have to pack the necessary attire for such a journey."

Applejack rubbed her chin, "I guess I better go let Granny Smith and the family know about this."

"Oh this is going to be so much fun." Pinkie said with a smile.

"Oh um...couldn't the princess maybe send somepony else?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight shook her head, "No Fluttershy. Nashkel is right on the border of the Griffon Empire. Princess Celestia couldn't send a royal team to investigate without causing a commotion. But we can get in easily without too much fuss, and even if they know I'm the princess' student it wouldn't be as big of a commotion as an official investigation team."

"Oh um...well...okay." Fluttershy said.

"Relax Fluttershy. This will be easy, I mean sure we will have to travel through bandit infested roads who might try to knife us in our sleep, but we've handled worse." Rainbow Dash said with a reassuring tone. But all it did was make Fluttershy's eyes widen and her shaking to increase ten fold as she hid in her mane.

"The princess has trusted us with this. We can't let her down, everypony go and pack up and we will meet at the edge of town in an hour." Twilight said.

"Right." The girls said, though Fluttershy have a small eep. With that they all left to go pack.

When they were all gone, Twilight sighed and looked over the scroll once more. She was ready to do what the princess had asked, but a part of her mind felt worried. What could be going on that would make the princess ask for her and her friends to set out on a possibly dangerous mission.

'Come on Twilight. Princess Celestia knows what she is doing. I better go see if Spike got all my packing done." She thought as he headed upstairs.

Heading up stairs she saw her saddlebag all packed up, but what surprised her was that Spike was packing a bag as well.

"Spike, what are you doing?" Twilight asked as she ran over and took Spike's bag from him.

"Hey! I'm packing. I'm going with you Twilight." Spike said, trying to get his bag back.

"Oh no Spike. This trip is too dangerous. I'm not going to put you in any danger like that. Besides I need you here to watch the library while I'm gone."

Spike's eyes widened, "But...but Twilight. You need me to send letters to the Princess. She did say she wanted you to contact her when you got to Nashkel."

Twilight sighed, "Please Spike. I don't want to put you in any danger. Please...do this for me and stay here. Please."

Spike looked up at Twilight, tears in his eyes. But finally he looked at the floor and said, "Alright. I'll stay."

Twilight hugged Spike tightly, tears in her own eyes, "I'm sorry Spike. But this is for the best."

"Alright. I guess I'll go do the rest of my chores then. I got your bag all set." Spike said.

"Thank you Spike." Twlight said, nuzzling Spike.

"Twilight." Spike said.

"Yes Spike?" Twilight asked as she got the saddlebag on and headed for the stairs.

"Promise you'll come back. Okay." Spike said.

Twilight smiled and nodded, "I promise. You take care Spike, and don't forget to reorganize the shelves on tuesday next week."

Spike sighed, "I was hoping you would forget that."

"Forget reshelving day!" Twilight gasped in shock, "Never."

Spike rolled his eyes, watching Twilight go. He sighed and wiped some tears from his eyes.

'Be safe Twilight.' Spike thought.


Liam headed to the stables, he entered a small shed near the building. No one was there so he would be able to change into his newly acquired armor in privacy. He set his sword down by the door and set down his armor as he started to put it on.

He was only half way done, when he heard the door open. Liam turned to see a small man, his dirty hair dislevled and greasy. The man held a knife in his hand and he had a smirk on his face.

"Oh goodie, goodie! I've gone and found ye first! You are the ward of Gorion, no doubt?" The unknown man said.

Liam backed away a bit, he didn't know this man but he did not like the look of him. And that unsheathed dagger had him worried.

"I am....I do not recognize you. Who are you and what are you doing here?" Liam asked.

The man giggled, "Who I am is unimportant, but who you are is very much so. I aploigize for this dirt bit of business, but I must seek your death. A pity, I know, but it would seem your head is worth a substantial amount to me. I kill you myself and I don't have to share the credit with no one."

With that the man lunged, stabbing with the dagger. Liam jumped to the side, hitting the wall of the shed. Where was the guard? Better yet why did he pick such an out of the way place to change into his armor. He moved again, hoping to reach his sword, but the man moved to get in his way and slashed with his knife. The blade cut Liam across the brow, not a deep cut but enough to draw blood. The sight of the red liquid drove the attacker even more and he went for a stab.

Liam stepped back, and tripped over a bucket and fell to the ground. His attacker stood over him, dagger held in a reverse grip as he pounced and landed on Liams stomach. he lifted the dagger up ready to stab.

"Like I said, I do be sorry." The attack said.

Liam's eyes widened, was he going to die here? Panicing he tried to find a weapon, when he saw the knife Winthrop had given him. It was on the floor just an inch from him. He had take it off while he put his armor on, bucking his hips off to throw the attacker off balance Liam gave himself enough room to get onto his side, and just getting out of the way of being stabbed in the heart as he heard the blade jam into the wodden floor.

"Hold still." The attacker said, going in for another stab.

Liam grabbed at the dagger, pulled it from the sheath and lifted it just in time to block another strike. The sudden impact of metal against metal shook his fingers, and it took the attacker off guard. Liam grabbed the attackers knife hand and yanked it toward him, pulling the assailiant with it. As he did Liam jammed the knife forward and into the chest of his attacker.

Liam froze, as did his attacker. The man stared down with wide eyes at the inch of metal sticking into his chest. Red blood staining his jerkin. Liam breathed wildly, and slowly pulled the blade out and stabbed again. Then again, and again, and again, and again.

Over and over did he stab into the mans chest, even as he fell back. Liam continued to stab him, a sudden feeling taking over him as he continued to plunge the knife into the mans body even after he was dead. Finally Liam regained his composure and control and he looked at the blood stained knife then to the man on the ground, his chest was riddled with holes from the dagger.

Liam stood up and backed away, he had killed him. He had killed a man. He felt sick, scared and also happy. He was happy to be alive, adn happy that he had taken the life of one who had tried to take his.

"Gorion was right.....maybe we should leave." Liam said. If someone who wanted him dead could get in here, would more follow? Perhaps Candlekeep was not as secure as he thought.

Liam got up slowly on shakey legs. The feeling of his first actual kill and battle still shook him. He used the mans jerkin to clean off the dagger. Winthrop had been right, it had saved his life. He picked up the sheath and put the blade away and put on the rest of his armor and tucked the knife back at his belt as he had done before. Now full dressed in his leather he walked over to his sword and strapped it to his back.

He pushed open the door, and stumbled out. he took deep breathes of fresh air, and wiped his brow. When he pulled his hand back he saw that he was bleeding, and the pain became apparent. He had to get this cleaned.

"Liam. Liam."

Liam turned to see the monk Parda, walk over. Parda saw the cut and immediatly ran to Liam.

"Child, you cut yourself above the brow, there. What is wrong child? Something in your eyes tells me that something is very wrong indeed." Parda said, taking out a cloth and wiping the cut clean. He then took a small vial of blue liquid and applied it to the wound.

Liam took a deep breath as Parda wrapped a cloth about the wound to keep it covered while the medicine he placed on the wound took effect, "He...he's dead...whoever he was. Parda....a...man came into the shed while I changed into this armor. He....he tried to kill me. But I....I..."

Parda gasped, "Oh child. Stay calm, you defended yourself and you are alive. Quickly, go to Gorion, he stands by the entrance to the library. Go now and tell him you are ready to leave, I feared something like this would happen."

"But Parda...what of..." Liam said, looking to the shed.

"Don't worry about the body. I'll take care of it. But you child, you must go. Now." Parda said, pushing Liam gently. Liam nodded, and ran to the library.

Something was happening, and Liam needed answers. Maybe on the road Gorion would explain things but for now it was time to go. It was time to go now.


When all of the girls were ready, they met at the edge of town. Twilight had carefully planned their route to Nashkel, sticking to the roads and only taking paths off the road should they need to evade any hostile groups they could not take on their own.

"Alright girls are we all ready?" Twilight said, turning to her friends.

"When you look this fabulous, you're ready for anything." Rarity said, posing in a similar outfit she wore when she had gone camping with Applejack and Rainbow Dash. AJ was just glade she had only backed a saddle bag, as well as one suitcase no doubt full of clothes.

"Uh, Rarity I think that we would want to avoid any bandits. Those clothes are gonna make ya stick out like a sore thumb." Applejack said.

"Pish posh, I can assure you APplejack that this outfit is perfect for this little leg of the adventure." Rarity said with a wave of her hoof.

AJ sighed and rolled her eyes, "Whatever you say Rarity."

"Okay then. I've mapped out the fastest route to Nashkel. If we head south of here, we will eventually reach an inn called the Friendly Arm. We will rest there for the night and then continue on to the human named village of Beregost and stay a night there, then it's just another day of travel into the mountains and into Nashkel. If all goes well we should get there within two days, though we should becareful alot of bandits roam the roads and woods, and I've also heard that hobgoblins have been seen in some areas as well."

That took the girls by surprise, usually hobgoblins lived either in the mountains or in the Everfree Forest. Still it would not be odd for some of those creatures to wander out of the woods in search of food, or in a hobgoblins case plunder.

"I thought the guard kept hobgoblins in the forest?" Rainbow Dash said.

"They do, but with all the bandit activity most of the guards have been busy trying to keep caravans and travellers safe. Shining Armor told me about it a week ago, apparently they're really spread thin right now." Twilight said with a frown.

"Oh um....I....I guess we better get going." Fluttershy said, though her fear and worry was apparent.

Rarity patted Fluttershy's shoulder comfortingly, earning a small smile from the timid pegasus. Twilight unfurled a map and looked it over one more time.

"Alright then girls. Lets go." Twilight said.

With that the girls took off, heading down the road on an adventure unlike any other they had gone on before.


Liam walked through the gardens that surrounded the central keep library. The library itself looked like a giant castle, but inside was the greatest collection of writings and knowledge in the world. Some even say extending far back before even the rise of Princess Celestia or Luna.

Liam made his way through, passing monks or visitors of the keep. All of them were dressed in finery, and he stood out in his leather armor which made him look more like a vagabond mercenary. Liam didn't mind actually, the armor fit as Winthrop had said and frankly he looked good in it.

Finally he reached the steps to the library, and there pacing was Gorion. Liam walked over to his foster father, who stopped his pacing when he saw him and sighed in relief.

"Ah my child..wait why do you have that bandage?" Gorion asked, walking over worried.

Liam bit his lip, "I...I got a little cut. Nothign serious, Parda took care of it for me."

Gorion looked at Liam, but finally he sighed and said, "Very well. You will tell me the truth when you are ready. For now I hope you have all you will need, I do not think we will be returning for some time."

Liam winced, Gorion could read him like a book. Liam nodded and said, "I think I'm ready father."

Gorion nodded, "Very well. I know this is very unnverving, but you must trust me. This keep is well protected, but not invulnerable."

'I know.' Liam thought, thinking back to his fight with the assassin. He still could not understand why someone would want him dead.

"Father, where will we be going?" Liam asked.

Gorion shook his head, "Alas, I cannot say for I have not truly decided yet. All that is certain is that we will be far safer on the move. Perhaps the woods might offer some secluded security, or perhaps the city of Canterlot would offer cover midst the throngs of people and ponies. I do not know where we shall end up, but I have a few friends here and there. Hmmm...I will think on this."

Liam nodded, trusting that Gorion knew what he was doing, "Alright. I think I am ready to leave."

Gorion nodded and walked off, Liam following behind. They left the library gardens and headed from the gates, before they left Gorion stopped and turned to Liam.

"Listen carefully, if we should ever be seperated it is imparitive that you make your way to the Friendly Arm Inn. There you will meet a man named Feldrock. He has long been my friend and you can trust him." Gorion said.

Laim nodded and followed after his father, the gates of Candlekeep opened for them and when they were out of the keep they closed shut. Liam stopped a bit and looked back at the keep. It felt as if he was leaving behind all he knew, and yet. He looked out to the wide world, Gorion had stopped and was waving for him to follow.

And yet, there was a whole world out there. Liam had grown up on the tales that had been made out there....perhaps he would make one for himself. He smiled, the thought gave him some peace. Though the unknown still scared him, but he was sure that with Gorion he would be alright, and perhaps he would finally learn the story of his own past. Liam ran off to catch up to his father, and together the two made their way down the hill leading away from Candlekeep and into the unknown world.

Author's Note:

Okay, just a little explanation of the world again. Humans live here, their technology level is about on equal with Equestrians, though they still use swords and what not. Magic works with humans in a different way as well, only a small number of humans can use magic and they are born with the ability otherwise they can't learn it. They either are born with the ability or don't have it.

Zebras can use magic, as we see with Zecora and that awsome tea spell. *wish I knew how to do that, then I can have all the tea I could drink* They just mostly use a more shamanistic approach while unicorns and humans use the more Merlin approach, at least in Equestria. Anyway thats it for now do enjoy.