• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 738 Views, 8 Comments

Too Close to the Sun - Ravenmane



Celestia must deal with the fallout of a know-it-all who really knows it all.

  • ...
2
 8
 738

Prologue

The world has changed. I hear it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the wind. Much that once was is lost, for only I can remember it. My name is Forlorn Vale and all things must sift through my mind. It began, as these tales often do, with something setting things into motion. This thing has no name that is known, for even I was not born yet to recall it.

In the beginning, it forged me and told me to observe and understand. I had no choice but to obey. At the time, I had no form. I was nothing more than a mind and senses. Next, it forged a creature from the uncertainty of all things. It gave no name to this thing, but looked to me and asked me to name it. I called it Discord.

The world and its heavens came next. Then came the creatures that dotted the world, but one race was made with time and consideration. My creator called them ponies. At first, they had horns and wings and after many examinations, some were given wings, others horns, and the last was deprived of both. Once more, I was asked to name each of them and I simply called them all ponies. In time, they would call each other pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies.

Discord, who had grown impatient, escaped from where he waited. He was told he could descend on the world when our creator thought they were ready. Sadly, they were not. Even my creator was deceived by the ambition of Discord. In his fury at Discord's mischief, my creator forged in secret to all but me a master archetype of the ponies. They were the alicorns, the embodiment of all of ponydom and granted amazing power.

In the creation of the alicorns my master all but retreated, forging six remaining trinkets. My master called them the Elements of Harmony and told me about the alicorns before retreating from my sight.

“Forlorn, the white one is called Celestia. The smaller blue one is Luna. Celestia will control the movement of the sun, while Luna shall unveil the night. In time, they will accumulate other skills and talents, but you, Forlorn Vale, must never become involved. Unlike them you will remain pure, as I have hoped all would.”

How much of a fool I thought my creator was. Nothing is perfect. Nothing is pure.

Celestia and Luna led an alliance of all creatures against Discord, and by wielding the Elements of Harmony, they turned Discord to stone. I watched it all unfold; waiting for the moment either Celestia or Luna would fall. As I waited, I noticed my master’s creativity. These ponies, they possessed a mark on their flanks. It lined up with what they did, and my master would approve of my amusement at its craftiness.

I watched and waited for millennia, always positive even these alicorns could be corrupted. Fifteen hundred years ago it happened. I saw how far one of these alicorns could fall. She was indeed pure, just as my master had said, but to see her corrupted, to watch her make other creatures go mad in their sleep. It was painful to watch. In secret, I finally took shape and crept into the world to observe first hoof. I wasn’t stupid enough to veil myself in the form of something far from its home.

I approached the white alicorn, believing that Celestia was capable of defeating her sister. I was quite the nervous unicorn back then.

*****

“But why can’t you,” I screamed to the now Princess Celestia.

“I-I just can’t,” she replied sorrowfully.

“Because she's fallen? Because she's your sister?” What was I to do? I had to say something. Something that would get her attention.

She turned to me, showing nothing but hatred in her eyes and a scowl on her muzzle. “What did you call Nightmare Moon?”

I didn't back away, I stood my ground. If nothing else, I could just vanish and wash my hooves of the problem. “I said, she is your sister. She’s Luna.”

“I know she is,” she said as she turned to hide her face from me, “I saw it myself.”

“You neglected her didn't you? Refused to acknowledge her night.”

“How could-how could you know what happened a century ago?”

I simply glared at her. “You did this to her!”

“Well what would you have me do?”

I glanced to the other ponies nearby. “Leave us, I wish to make something perfectly clear. It would be best not to be nearby.” They glanced from Celestia to me, and back to her before leaving the two of us alone.

“What should I do...”

“Call me Vale if you would be so kind Celestia.”

Princess Celestia,” she corrected as our eyes met.

“A pleasure Celestia,” I egged. “Let’s be a little more formal if you don’t mind. My name is Forlorn Vale and you are Celestia the bringer of the day. You were created six thousand, four hundred years ago from primal clay by my master. Shortly thereafter, your sister was formed. If I recall correctly, Luna was made a year later.”

Celestia stared at me with a quizzical look, but made no attempt to interrupt me.

“Sorry, but the years tend to blend together. Normally I’d just sit back and watch, we all have our roles to play after all, but I’d say you need help. I’d also say you don't have the guts to confront your sister.”

“I can't face her-“

“You’re just scared that you’ll kill her? Please, she’ll kill everything on this planet if you keep showing restraint. The world will freeze and nothing will survive. Well, the windigos will last for a while but once they can’t sustain themselves then this world will be a frozen wasteland.”

“Then wha-”

“The Elements of Harmony would be my suggestion.”

“Those stones? But those are in Nightmare Moon’s territory!”

“They’ll come to those who need them most. Just, don’t blame me for what happens if you fail. I warned you.” Those were my parting words. I remember them so clearly. Even now, from where none can reach me, I remember that night. But now, now I have something I have to do back down there…

Author's Note:

First version was stream of consciousness, new version has gone through the edit machine in my head.

Comments ( 8 )

Into The Lair Of The Sun God Pt. I - Dawnbringer

In his fury as Discord's mischief my creator forged

1. At.

Hmm... this relates to your dream mentioned before yes? Hmm... this can be interesting, do go on

1851443 I will indeed go on, it will be painful.

1851446 If by painful you mean some ponies feasting on other ponies with flesh being ripped from their still living bodies, blood dripping from their wounds and forming a puddle of their own blood to lay down in... yeah I should just stop talking...:facehoof:

1851460
That's pretty.. tame actually. Try harder.

Hmmmmm this looks interesting

It's a little confusing. I can't tell if that's intentional or not, as I am also a fan of leveling dialog outside of chronology. Hopefully you'll reveal how the characters got into said situation. Also, that's a lot of stage setting crammed into the prologue. :pinkiegasp:

Epic "Lord of the Rings" opening, btw. :twilightsheepish:

3530134 Thanks an- wait, it seriously took almost a year for someone to pick that out and call me on it?

Login or register to comment