• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 10,717 Views, 525 Comments

Sonnets by Twilight - MrNumbers



Twilight has made friends since arriving in Ponyville, but still feels somewhat... lonely. Octavia finds herself isolated in high society, and her passion has left her, leaving her... empty. Can these two find what they need in each other?

  • ...
40
 525
 10,717

A Minor Falsetto (Part Two)

"Vinyl!" Octavia groaned. "What a surprise, running into you here."

"I'd rib you about making a pun." Vinyl wheezed, "But it looks like you already took all of mine out. Pre-emptive strike there?"

"Oh please," Octavia coughed as she stretched her neck, "You say that like I ever have a plan for anything."

"Hey, compared to me, you're like that old tutor of yours. What was her name, again? Too-Bright Snarkle? Twit-like Not-cool?"

"Firstly, anypony who is capable of living in conditons that aren't squalor, let alone of the abject variety, is fit to have that comparison drawn of them. Secondly, she wasn't all that bad."

Vinyl cocked an eyebrow.

"Okay," Octavia grudgingly admitted, "she was exactly that bad. What's your problem with her, anyway?"

"She organized my record collection! Alphabetically, by genre!" Vinyl snapped.

"Oh, dear, what a fearfully evil act. Did she twiddle a moustache and cackle maniacally the whole time?" Octavia smirked, though there was no hint of malice in it, just the sort of comfortable cruelty that only long, long years of friendship allows.

"Well, none of the records were in their original covers! I just put them back on the shelf where they felt right! I still can't find everything!"

"You sure that's because of her?" Octavia dusted herself off, smiling gently, "and not because they're your weapon of choice against ex boyfriends?"

"That's totally their fault too!"

"I believe you, Vinyl," her voice indicating everything but, "just like it was their fault you dated them at all."

"Yeah!" the unicorn either completely missed the sarcasm or, far more likely, chose to ignore it, "I mean, what was with those jerks. They should have been able to work out they weren't good enough for me long before I did. They'd known themselves way longer than I knew them, after all."

"I cannot argue with that logic." Octavia mused.

"Yeah, see-" Vinyl started before a glance from Octavia cut her off.

"I meant," she continued with a wicked grin, "I can't argue with that logic because there isn't any."

Vinyl stared at Octavia, slack jawed. Octavia stared back.

They both fell into each other, laughing.

DJ PoN3 lowered her trademark shades a little, the hint of a tear forming in her eye, wiping it away absently with a hoof.

"You beat me to it, there, Octy." Vinyl chuckled.

"Strange," Octavia threw a hoof to her chest melodramatically, "and here I thought that beats were your area of expertise."

Vinyl's eyes narrowed dangerously. "Them's fightin' words, miss prim. I'll beat you up!" She laughed until she saw Octavia raise an eyebrow.

The unicorn mulled over her word choice and- Oh! She paled noticeably.

"Oh I didn't mean- I mean, you know I- Oh geeze..." the DJ wilted under Octavia's glance. Finally the grey mare burst into laughter, patting Vinyl's white shoulder's reassuringly.

"Hey, it's okay, you were reaching for a pun, I get that. I think that should be-" she waggled her eyebrows a little for effect, "punishment enough."

Vinyl groaned, a serious deadpan expression betrayed by the corners of her mouth twitching desperately,

"That was awful and you know it."

"Well, now we're even. Besides, we both know if we ever got our hooves down and dirty, Vinyl my dear, you wouldn't last five minutes."

"Hey!" she protested, "I totally could. I've got the whole 'wiry raver' thing going on. What have you got?"

Octavia just stood there and tensed. Powerful, athletic muscle rippled through, causing shimmering coat to ripple like silken waves as the taut sinew flexed beneath it, hinting at Octavia's deceptive bulk beneath. The mare couldn't help but smirk.

"You're catching flies, Vinyl."

The unicorn slammed her mouth shut. "I keep forgetting you can do that." She groused, "It's not fair. You're supposed to be the... refined one," she moaned, though there was no real malice to the words, just the flow of a familiar argument between even more familiar friends, "I'm supposed to be the dancing machine." She head-banged, her glasses never once slipping. She'd paid quite a large amount of bits, Octavia knew, to have them specially made for deceptive grip.

"Well, just be glad I love you too much, Scratchy."

"Aw, that's sweet, I love you too, swirly-butt!" She grinned. There was a tender, chaste hug shared between them.


Twilight galloped around the corner like a headless chicken on a mission, a mission which may have involved a large quantity of methamphetamines based on Twilight's usual lack of grace, to find-

"Well, just be glad I love you too much, Scratchy."

A sentence she had obviously just heard completely out of context and should wait for the reply before jumping to any heart breaking conclusions.

You cannot draw a conclusion from a single data point, the scientist in her reprimanded the hyper-anxious, neurotic, hopeless-romantic portion of her, also known as 'the majority'.

'Right' Twilight thought, 'let's see where this goes first. Then I can have a heartbroken meltdown.'

"Aw, that's sweet, I love you too, swirly-butt!"

Yep, that cut it. That's the sort of lewd comment Twilight was assured only two loving ponies did behind closed doors, ones that should always, always, be knocked on before entering and-

Well. Let's just append that thought with the knowledge that Cadance can blush, no matter how pink she already is, and not dwell more on it, shall we?

She felt a hoof slide across her neck, silky soft, and murmured commiserations. Not even bothering to ask Rarity how she had managed to catch up, she allowed herself to be led away.


"Now, why, exactly, am I running into you, you never did say?"

"I just got a heads up from Princess Luna, right?" A few ponies were aware that Luna and Vinyl were drinking buddies, fellow creatures of the night. Fewer ponies were as excruciatingly aware of their antics as Celestia and Octavia, who had to deal with the mythical resulting hangovers. "Turns out Celestia gave tickets out to here favourite primo numero uno student for special admission to one of your performances, right?"

"Well, as flattering as I suppose that is, I don't suspect that's the whole story, now, is it?" Idly, she muttered to herself, "I wonder if she's anything like the last one..."

"No, see," the unicorn huddled up, eyes darting left and right and grinning ruthlessly from ear to ear, "It's the same one. Apparently Twinkleplot Snarkle."

"I wonder if I saw her in the au-" Octavia stopped, suddenly, her jaw slackening and her shoulders slumping.

Vinyl waited patiently, or as patiently as it was possible for the DJ, but that lasted for all of a few seconds before she started poking Octavia in the ribs, trying to get a reaction from her.

None came.

Vinyl was leaning towards Octavia's barrel, attempting to search for a faint telltale thump or any indication the mare was still breathing when-

She was bowled over by the force of her friend exploding, in the euphamistic sense, and falling backwards onto her plot, in the literal sense, a look of shocked dismay on her face.

"I've been so thick!" She blurted, "Thick, thickity thickface, just whip me up a thickshake because I have been so-"

"Thick?" Vinyl offered.

"Dense!" Octavia snapped. "It's her! Why didn't I work it out sooner than this? Thick!"

"Who's her?"

"The bleeding mare that I-" Octavia's head whipped back up. "That I now know how to find! Vinyl, thank you!" She darted forward and wrapped the unicorn in a choking hug, "Thank you so much!"

She darted off again down the corridor, leaving a wheezing and very thoroughly confused DJ in her wake.

"Err..." The DJ breathed to herself, "You're welcome?"

Octavia skipped down the hallway in bounding lunges, occasionally kicking her hocks together in glee, as Vinyl stared on in confusion.


"Oh, heya, Twilight!" the gatekeeper of Twilight's sanctuary greeted, "what can I getcha?"

"The usual, Joe," Twilight murmured, "Sweet ambrosia and consummate joy."

"Coffee and glazed doughnuts coming up. Freshly baked, freshly brewed and served with today's crossword."

"You are the centre of my universe, Joe” Twilight nodded, hoofing a healthy handful of bits onto the counter, “the gravitational anchor point which holds me in orbit in a turbulent and unloving void.”

Twilight stalked towards her Spot in the joint and reverently took a seat. She collapsed into her seat, her head unceremoniously clunking against the table, occasionally raising a few inches to make room for doughnut. Applejack dropped an extra two bits onto the counter before following her. A silent nod between her and Joe was all that was needed.

Applejack had managed to make a business contact the night of the gala, having found a kindred soul in Joe and as a result Pony Joe and Applejack had come to a degree of friendship and even mutual respect.

The end result were the best apple fritters in Equestria.

Joe turned to Rarity, who was eyeing the counter wearily. Her eyes had an almost manic gleam to them, which Joe was all too familiar with.

“You're hoping for a low-fat, low sugar option are you?” He grinned.

Rarity leapt back as if she had been slapped, staring at him now with the same desperate eyes.

“Well, I'm sorry, luv, but there ain't any. It's all deep fried, sugar glazed and coated, artery clogging goodness.”

She responded by furrowing her eyebrows, glancing between Joe and the... Figure ruining morsels, and back.

“Yes, they'd go straight to your flanks. Honestly, they're fairly gorgeous, but a few couldn't hurt. Yes, the amount you're considering is more than a few. Yes, I also serve some of the best darn milkshakes in the city. No, I'm not reading your mind, but close enough. Yes, I can keep a secret. Nopony but us has to know.”

Rarity glared at the grinning, burly, hunky, stupid tempter before her. Did you know that lifting all that batter and stirring it gave a stallion deceptively thick muscles? That's just... Unfair.

'This would be so much easier if he weren't so... Argh!'

“Here's twelve bits.” She growled. “Give me whatever you deem your finest selection.”

“Would you like a paper bag for-” he circled a hoof in thought, “leftovers?”

“No evidence.” Rarity hissed.

Joe nodded with a knowing smirk, which would only have served to infuriate Rarity further if he wasn't acting like such a stupidly good-looking, if a rough around the edges, gentlecolt. Instead it just gave him the air of the rapscallion, with boyish charm and-

As Rarity fumed internally as he silently passed her a tray of fatty sugary goodness.

“Do you know how how much jogging I'll need to burn off these?!”

“Less than a marathon, more than a Running of the Leaves.”

“Really?” Rarity stopped.

“More or less than you thought?”

“Less. Better throw in another two or three to make it even, then.”

Pony Joe grinned and did as he was asked, glancing over at the sullen Twilight Sparkle, who was staring at her doughnut forlornly, reciting nihilistic poetry. Occasionally Rarity overhead some that she recognized.

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

"Twilight, was that a quote of the immortal bard?"

"Yep." She growled into the table, "The long dead one."

“Now, I don't mean to pry- Well, actually, I do.” He stated plainly, “But Twilight hasn't seemed this downtrodden since she failed that test a dozen years ago, or so.”

Rarity stared.

“What are ya more surprised at, the fact that I remembered that or the fact that Twilight failed a test?”

“I'm not entirely sure.” Rarity answered honestly.

“Well, I'd never seen her so shook up about something before or since, 'til now. Ain't right seeing her like this.”

“Poor dear, just fell for a mare pretty darn hard.”

“Not as hard as the landing I take it?” Joe grunted as he fiddled with some knobs on the coffee machine.

“Exactly.” Rarity nodded, levitating the tray of doughnuts over to Twilight's table. Applejack grabbed her fritter and continued to listen to Twilight, words that Rarity couldn't hear nor understand. She'd seemed to have taken to latin, now, for some reason.

“So she's into mares then, huh? Explains why she turned down all those stallions she turned down over the years.”

“Mind.” Twilight snapped, sending Applejack rocking back in her seat, eyes bulging, “Not body.”

“Dear, you keep seeing that, but if you want us to believe that you need to be a bit more subtle in your ogling.” Rarity turned, eyebrow raised.

Twilight scowled and demolished a powdered doughnut.

“Well, it was partially my fault, as loathe as I am to admit it,” Rarity turned back to Joe sighing, “I remembered enough to tell her the mare she fell for was, in fact, of a similar persuasion. I conveniently forgot, however, that I knew this because of the gossip columns about her and her partner.” Rarity scowled, “A fact that she found out rather personally.”

“Ah.” Joe said simply, levitating a tray of hot drinks to the table. Twilight levitated the pot and gingerly poured one out for Applejack, another for Rarity, before pouring the rest directly into her mouth. Applejack watched in amusement, nibbling on her fritter.

“Twilight. Manners. Vulgar.” Rarity snapped.

Twilight glared at Rarity in defiance as she continued chugging straight from the visibly-steaming pot.

“So, gossip magazine columns huh?” Joe mused, watching Twilight with cautious amusement himself, “must have been a fairly famous pony, then.”

“Or, rather, her partner was. Vinyl Scratch, you see?”

“Oh, her,” Joe mused, “Yeah, I've heard of her, she does some good stuff. Pony Rock Anthem, right?”

“Among others.” Rarity mumbled bitterly.

“I take it you're not a fan?”

“No, no, her music is perfectly fine, and Sweetie Belle seems to enjoy her immensely regardless, I'm still mulling over the whole-”

“-Inadvertently broke your friend's heart thing, right?” Joe finished with a sad nod. “Gotcha. You might want to go ahead and console her, now, anyway.”

Rarity grabbed up her doughnuts, the fresh heat wafting out of the bag tugging at what little remnants of self control she had left, as she afforded Joe one last glance.

“Subtly trying to move me along for other customers are we?” She smirked.
“Lady, you're the only customers I reckon I'll see the rest of the night.” Joe laughed, easily, “I reckon if I get you with your friends whether they'll notice how much you've been ogling me, too, or if it's just wishful thinking.”

Rarity blushed, doing her best to mask it with a scowl, as she snatched up her bag and stormed over to the table, leaving Joe laughing behind her the whole way.

“Well, what was all that about sugarcube?” AJ greeted her, taking the last bites out of her first fritter. Her only fritter, sure, but based on the way that she was eyeing Rarity's veritable sack of doughnuts, Rarity knew she'd be ordering more as the night, inevitably, progressed.

“That rather presumptuous stallion accused me of ogling him!” Rarity fumed.

Applejack blinked. Even Twilight looked up from her current doughnut, a white-icing coated ordeal with purple sprinkles Twilight had carefully arranged into Octavia's cutie mark. Rarity hoped this was Twilight merely dealing with metaphorically getting over the mare and not, say, some lewd mental imagery.

“Rarity.” Applejack started, “When he was talkin' you made eye contact sure enough, but uh, rest of the time you were starin' at them muscles of his. Or his mane. Or his withers. Frankly, you were ogling up a veritable storm, there, missy.”

“Well, it's not my fault he's got that whole diamond-in-the-rough je ne sais quois going for him.” She scowled at the grinning baker, who waved a spatula back at her with a toothy grin, “Frankly it's his.”

“Yep.” Applejack deadpanned, “Sure is real wicked of him taking advantages of his, er, 'rugged' good looks of his.”

“Well- Surely he's far too old for me anyway.”

“Not really, Rarity.” Twilight muttered as she took another ferocious bite of her dough-butt, “He's only a few years older than us. Been working here as a busboy since I was in school, he didn't inherit it until a just a while before I left for Ponyville actually. Shame, that, his doughnuts are so much better than his Dad's.”

Twilight momentarily levitated a pile of doughnut crumbs in front of her, arranging them into a cascade of swirling flecks of sugar flying around in the shape of a pulsing love heart. She smiled wistfully, even as the sweet-heart froze completely over, falling back to the table with a dull thunk.

She was still staring fondly at the frozen heart as it burst into cold, cold flames.

“So, he's just a bit older, owns his own business in Canterlot, and Rarity isn't hearing a word I'm saying because she's too busy staring at his barrel?” Applejack tactfully ignored the burning effigy beside them and snickered as Rarity drooled a little, stuffing another doughnut into her mouth absentmindedly, oblivious to the small pop of the explosion that snapped Twilight back out of her trance, only causing Rarity to absently brush charred frozen crumbs from her mane.

“Well, Rarity, hope your evening goes better for you than it did for me.” Twilight smiled, a sad bittersweet little number but a genuine one. “I know for a fact Joe doesn't have much luck with the ladies up here, used to be a fun topic of ours.”

“Nopony appreciates a right amount of scruff around these parts, eh?” Applejack muttered, a second apple fritter having mysteriously appeared onto her plate at some point.

“I did this place's accounting for a year, once, for extra credit.” Twilight smiled, her eyes glossing over momentarily in fond nostalgia, “They do little more than break even, most pony's around here are too good for this place, right? Turns out they run this place almost out of spite for the snobs, and there's just enough ponies around to keep them in business purely out of guilty pleasure.”

Applejack snorted, spraying a little bit of powdered sugar on Rarity in the process. Of course, Joe had chosen this exact moment to reach a high shelf for a particularly heavy sack of sugar, so Rarity didn't even notice.

“Well what happens when there's an unexpected business expense? Those ovens can't be cheap, for instance, and business would grind to a halt without bakin' in the bakery. A loan can't really be a viable option, since the interest would eat into the profits, since customers eatin' aren't makin enough, right?”

“Oh, now that's the best part,” Twilight grinned goofily, sitting up straighter in her chair, “I think Shining Armour is in on it, and probably Luna too if the recent lack of moon pies is any indication. Every time something like that happens they get a mysterious tax break, about as much as they were losing, based on 'services to the crown'. I don't think the Guard have had to pick a new lunch spot in years."

Rarity grinned. “A hero to the guard you say?”

“Well, I wouldn't say hero but-”

“Well I would.” Rarity sighed happily.

“Oh fer the love of-” Applejack sighed. “Hey, Joe!” She called out.

“Yes, Miss AJ?”

“Get your flank over here for a minute.”

“Oh, I can't do that, there could be another customer here any second!”

“Who you tryin' to fool, ya big galoot? Now, just mosey on over here a mo.”

Joe chuckled and meandered from behind the counter as Rarity shot Applejack a frantic look, a few elegant frantic hoof gestures and a few none-too-subtle glances at all available exits and a few windows.

Twilight stared at Applejack in confusion... Until Applejack winked at her, and Twilight's eyes widened, a little 'o' shaping her lips.

“Joe, you know Rarity. Shame we didn't get to chat more on the train, of course, but you know her just the same.”

“O' course.” he grunted.

“You think she's a fine piece o' mare, don'cha?”

Rarity's head flopped forward, slamming onto the table with a staccato 'bang' as she groaned, ears flopped in resignation.

“O' course,” he repeated, “Stallion'd be lucky to have a gal like that.”

Rarity's head didn't lift from the table, but an ear pricked up, causing Twilight to giggle slightly.

“Well, figure you two could just get this over with and snog, or sumthin', already?”

“Applejack!” Rarity snapped, her head raising from the table like a dawning sun, and of approximately the same shade of red.

“I've got no objections to that.” Joe grinned.

Rarity squeaked and shot Twilight a pleading look.

Twilight glanced at Rarity slyly. “You know, Rarity, he's a common pony in a big, fancy city like Canterlot, place that thinks it's too good for him. Not only is he a diamond in the rough, but it's also a sort of forbidden love, don't you think? Just like out of a fairy tale.” Applejack applauded Twilight silently, shooting the unicorn a wink.

Joe grinned, blushing slightly, rubbing the back of his scruffy mane awkwardly with a hoof. “Well, you flatter me miss, but I wouldn't know-”

He was interrupted by a throaty, almost bestial, growl as Rarity pounced, bowling him over and peppering him with smooches.

Joe watched helplessly, not that he had any objections of course, as Twilight grabbed up their sacks of donuts, trotted out of the store, and a little purple hue switched his 'open' sign to 'closed'.

Hoo, boy.


Octavia rifled through her old sheet music, the special sheets that had been kept aside from her years doing magical research, bound in thick faux-leather so that any latent energies couldn't escape and wreak havoc on her strings.

Near the very front of the tome was a simple leaf of music, the music contained on it yet simpler, almost like a cheerful lullaby sung to an infant.

She grabbed and it gingerly put the old parchment on the music stand, resting a cello beside it, as she scrounged around the small nook attached to the music room for some blank parchment, quills, ink, everything she'd need to write a letter.

It, too, was a simple letter, using very little words but heavy with meaning, one that was placed beside the sheet music on the stand as the 'ritual' demanded.

She took up the cello and played, a song she and Twilight had penned years ago, one of the very first songs the two had composed together in fact, a piece she hadn't played in years.

It was the first truly bardic spell they had created, a means of sending letters between them, across vast distances, keyed to work on two ponies who held each other in their minds, guiding it through the empathetic link.

A spell that hadn't worked for Octavia for years she didn't care to count... until, of course, tonight.

She gingerly put down the bowstring and smiled in relief.

The parchment with the letter was once more blank.

It had worked. She remembered her.

For the first time in years, it had worked again.


“I wasn't that bad, was I, Applejack?” Twilight muttered through a mouthful of bear claw. “You know, earlier?”

“Sugarcube, you were a heck of a lot worse with the goo-goo eyes.”

“Oh.” Twilight sighed.

“Don'tcha worry none, Twi, frankly it was just as hilarious, we ain't holdin' none of that against you.”

Twilight smiled a little at Applejack and leaned into her a little as they walked, just happy to have a friend. The fact that every other happy couple they happened to pass that night was brushed aside, or had a mysterious storm cloud appear above them, or be assaulted by a volley of custard-creme pies. That was purely a series of highly unlikely coincidences.

“We pick her back up in the mornin', right?”

“If'n she so chooses to leave.” Applejack chuckled.

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder, Applejack mine, Rarity knows to always leave them wanting more after all.”

“Lucky stallion, right?”

“I'm honestly happy for them. Joe's a sweetheart, and Rarity, well-”
“Hey, as long as I don't have to tie her down around my brother anymore, it's a win situation for us.”

“I just don't see what other ponies see in Big Mac.” Twilight glanced back at AJ, “His vocabulary doesn't even have the word vocabulary in it.” Her eyes widened a moment and she shot Applejack an apologetic look, “No offense.”

“Well, shoot, he's always been more of the math type anyway. Calls it the universal language or sumthin', I don't really get it.”

“But, just earlier-” Twilight blinked.

“Oh, business maths I can do. Nah, Mac is more like a physician, only not the doctor kind.”

“A physicist?” Twilight offered helpfully.

“That's the one, though that word must be real cruel on anypony with a lisp.” She chuckled, “Anywho, sits around one day and bam, apple to the head, next thing you know he's talkin' about how the ground makes light all bendy or somethin' like that.”

Twilight's eyes widened, again, for a much longer moment. “Mac and I are going to have to have a serious talk when we get back.”

“See, I just thought it was the concussion talkin', but then he went and made all these fancy numbers to prove it, so, I dunno. Reckon he'd do a lot of progress with Rainbow Dash, at least the tail end of her, if she weren't so busy chasin' after us girls and our tail ends.” The farmer grinned.

“I still don't- Wait, Rainbow Dash hits on us?”

“You in particular, Twi.”

“No way.” Twilight didn't say it sarcastically, or defiantly, or with any tinge of disbelief. This was purely a statement of logical fact. “I would seriously have noticed by now.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow, grin never fading. “Twilight, you really are just the most adorably naïve little mare I've had the good fortune to meet, you know that?”

“What do you mean?”

Applejack coughed slightly, drawing her voice into a passable rasping mockery of Rainbow, “Oh hey, Twilight, how's about you and me stay up for a late night anatomy study session, you up for it?”

Twilight's eyes sparkled. “Oh, yes, that was so fun, we stayed up all night reading about sensitive nerve clusters on pegasus wing joints and the application of pressure to certain points of a unicorn's horn to-” The gleam in Twilight's eyes died as abruptly as they began, and a scowl tugged at the corners of her mouth. “Oh dear Celestia she was talking about erogenous zones wasn't she?”

Applejack burst out laughing, grabbing in futility at her sides.

“Hey she- Oh that's just...” Twilight fumed, “Rainbow!”

“If it makes you feel better,” Applejack breathed between wracking laughs, “she said after that she had a powerful fun evenin', learned an awful lot from you. Apparently even put it to good use, if she's to be believed, which is somethin' I'm rather dubious to do, though.”

“No wonder she kept lighting scented candles!”

As years of 'friendship' with Rainbow Dash was scrutinized by a unicorn in very visible shock, Applejack went on, offering helpful pointers and tips the whole walk back to Twilight's old room.

Even as Twilight scrutinized, for some reason, the back of their receipt from the doughnut shop, Applejack was deeply glad that she had forgotten all about the musician from earlier.

Author's Note:

Rough month. New chapter. I didn't die.

Cheers.