• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 10,702 Views, 525 Comments

Sonnets by Twilight - MrNumbers



Twilight has made friends since arriving in Ponyville, but still feels somewhat... lonely. Octavia finds herself isolated in high society, and her passion has left her, leaving her... empty. Can these two find what they need in each other?

  • ...
40
 525
 10,702

A Minor Falsetto (Part One)

“Twilight!” Applejack hissed, “That was mighty pretty and all, but I think you just went and broke that poor mare!”

“I’m sorry!” Twilight hurriedly shot back, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m so so sorry! I don’t know how to fix it!”

“Well, at least you got her attention...” Rarity trailed off thoughtfully.

“And just what in the hay is that supposed to mean?!” Twilight yell-whispered, her strangled voice occasionally breaking off into indecipherable high-pitched squeaks.

“It means, dear,” Rarity whispered back, “She’s pretty cute, don’t you think? She looks like the smart, quiet type, or rather, your type, wouldn't you say?”

“Yes, but, I mean no and, I mean-” Twilight floundered, her blush returning at full force.

“Rarity!” Applejack hissed, “I think you just went and broke the poor mare before she got a chance to go an’ fix the other poor mare!”

Really, darling? She’s already picked up the piece, as if nothing ever happened.”

“Oh...” Twilight murmured, more than a little disappointed.

Why am I disappointed?!’ She flailed at herself internally, ‘Just because she was able to go on like nothing ever happened so soon doesn’t mean anything, not that I want it to mean anything, even if I do, I just-’ Twilight gulped. 'Oh dear.'

“Equestria to Twilight?” Applejack waved a foreleg in front of Twilight’s eyes, snapping her out of her reverie and causing her to blink furiously a few times, “You’ve been starin’ at that wall over there and blushin’ for about a good, long minute now.”

“I’m just, err, embarrassed. For ruining that poor cusician, I mean, musician’s performance.”

Rarity grinned a diabolical grin that made Twilight wholly uncomfortable. Even Applejack shuddered slightly, caught in the collateral damage of the imminent gossip cannon, which was primed and ready to shatter through previously held notions.

“You just made a portmanteau of ‘cute’ and ‘musician’ then, Twilight.” Rarity smirked at the spluttering unicorn.

“No I didn’t!” The accused firmly crossed her forelegs and pouted.

"So you think she's cute?" Rarity went on, ignoring Twilight's desperate pleading.

"I didn't say that!"

“So you don’t think she’s cute then?” Rarity cooed. Applejack stayed silent, on the one hoof desperate to help her trapped friend from a fate comparable to death, on the other not wanting to be caught in the situation herself. She had a family to go home to, darn it.

“No! I mean, yes, she’s really cute, I mean, why did I just say that?!” Twilight moaned.

“Well, if it helps,” Rarity leaned in for a conspiratorial whisper, very carefully putting on a stage-whisper that pretended to be quiet whilst never dropping a decibel from the moments prior, “I think she likes you, hmm?”

“R-really?” Twilight grinned a little, hopelessly disgusted by how excited she sounded but too eager at that moment to care, let alone do anything about it.

Applejack muttered to herself as she watched the conductor. Twilight couldn’t make sense of most of it, but she could hear the words “This” and “End well.”

“Oh yes-” Rarity hissed in a way that could only be described as ‘serpentine’. Her eyes flashed dangerously, “-See the way she’s still blushing? How she’s standing up straighter? She was slightly hunched over a few minutes ago, dear, no sign of that anymore. The way she flicks and darts her eyes over at us without lingering? She’s trying to impress you, darling, and she wants to see if it’s working, but she’s too embarrassed to want you to know.”

“You mean- You mean-” Twilight stuttered a little, words, usually her most faithful of allies and compatriots, eluding her, “-You mean she’s not upset with me because-”

Rarity purred in the way that Opal did when she had caught a particularly obese mouse, ready to pounce, “Not in the slightest. If anything, I think you’re the only pony in this entire theater Octavia even acknowledges the existence of.”

Twilight just grinned like a dope for a while, completely oblivious to the world around her, bobbing slightly in time to the music with the almost-drunken grin plastered all over her face. She had plenty of time to be ashamed of herself later, and she would bet her last bit, had it not already been spent on this evening and books, that Applejack would make plenty sure that she did.

“Consarnit, Rarity, why’d you have to go and say a thing like that?” Applejack hissed. “We don’t even know if she likes girls that way!”

“Oh, but we do.” Rarity purred once more, “we do indeed, Applejack. That illustrious mare that has our own purple hopeless romantic Twilight, insofar as she is hopeless at it, so twitterpated is none other than Octavia, first chair strings of the philharmonic, amongst other things.”

“So-” Applejack made a ‘go on’ motion with a hoof, watching the earth pony in question as she did so. Rarity was right; She did seem to be glancing their way a bit, and she definitely seemed to be making a point out of looking like she wasn't...

“She’s very much into the lavender lovers.” Rarity paused for a moment. “I realize that may be a confusing expression, but it means she prefers the company of her own gender. I’m not specifically referring to Twilight, who is lavender in both senses.” Rarity amended with a tight, thoughtful frown.

Twilight was still too lost in the music and her thoughts to pay any attention, let alone perceive it as a possible slight.

“And how do you know that, exactly, Rares?” A skeptical eyebrow, a tight frown, from Applejack.

“I- Oh dear.” Rarity blinked, appearing for all the world that she had bitten into a lemon, “I don’t recall. I know it as surely as I know to keep Sweetie Belle away from the kitchen at all times.” Rarity rolled her jaw a few times, seemingly desperate to get the taste of half-baked gossip out of her mouth.

“That’s pretty darned sure, I s’pose.” Applejack nodded her concession.

Twilight was still enraptured by the music. Her gentle swaying was soon accompanied by soft and measured swishes of her head, as if drawing an infinity symbol endlessly with the tip of her horn.

Before too long, as Rarity and Applejack watched in continued amazement, the music began to flow through Twilight again. Her horn glowed and rippled once more, the soft illumination glimmering through their private box.

It was a few moments before Rarity’s discerning eye noticed the slightest change in hue from before.

“Oh dearshe coughed into a hoof, “we may have to have a little talk about that later.”

“Twilight’s aura, my less observant friend,” Rarity grinned a cheeky grin, “Has taken on a slightly lighter tone than before yes? Haven’t you seen that colour before, somewhere?” Rarity leaned in for dramatic effect, blushing slightly, "Somewhere quite recently, hmm?"

Applejack blinked in confusion, eyes darting back and forth between Twilight, whose eyes were closed, totally oblivious to everything but the music she channeled through her, and the musician on stage that seemed to be the focus of the two unicorn’s attention at that moment.

‘It does look familiar, but- Oh.

“Twilight!” Applejack scolded, “Yer magic’s the same colour as her cutie mark, ain’t it?! Just how long have you been starin’ at that poor mare’s flanks?!”

Twilight didn’t reply with words, nor did she deter from her steady rhythm, but she did grow a grin that was rather decidedly less-than-innocent.

To Rarity the word that came to mind was lecherous. To Applejack it was seedier than a dried apple. The only thing that mattered to Twilight, however, was the grey mare onstage that was blushing even harder than the awkward introvert who was currently making the subtle-as-a-sledgehammer-to-the-shin advances.

To Octavia, the word that came to mind was passionate.


As the heavy red curtains fell, signalling the end of the performance, and as the sounds of the symphony were rapidly replaced by the rumbling of the retreating masses, Octavia paused for a single moment.

Then, with speed that would allow her to compete as the first earth pony to qualify for the Wonderbolts, she packed her instrument and fled the orchestral pit. She left naught but a flurry of loose sheet music swirling in her wake, which settled peacefully over the the twitching bodies of the slower members that had been placed in the unfortunate position between Octavia and the exit.

It wasn’t for another minute, when she had finally reached the backstage quarters, that she realized she had no idea what she was doing.

I stop to catch my breath for the shortest of moments,’ she growled internally, ‘and already my thoughts catch up to me’.

All these thoughts and more whirled through the maelstrom inside Octavia’s head, warring and sparring fiercely for dominance, fighting to be heard over the clatter of the others.

From the eye of the storm emerged one, clear thought. Whilst the others had hurried to catch her in a mad dash, outpaced only until she stopped for breath, this one had bided its time. No, whilst the others had their mad and graceless dogpile for supremacy, this one had practically sauntered in at the opportune moment to whisper:

“So, just how long do you think she was staring at our-”

With a few more determined pants, Octavia nodded to herself as if in acknowledgement to a silent question. She squared her shoulders, raised her head, dedication flashing across her steely, if tired, eyes.

She ran, once more, in the direction she hoped would lead to her crossing paths with the mysterious unicorn from before.

She practically flipped around a corner, the sheer speed and absolute reckless abandon enough to send her skidding on two hooves, her velocity impeded only when she came muzzle-to-ribs with another unicorn she was all-too-acquainted with.


“Where's Sweetie Belle? She was supposed to be here like-” Scootaloo glanced around the clubhouse for any form of clock, watch or even sundial that had withstood the maelstrom of their 'time telling cutie mark' attempts. Finding none, she settled for “-a while ago.”

“She told me she was gonna hang out with her sister today.” Applebloom suggested as she glared at the manual before her, as if staring it down would finally convince the darn thing to make a lick of sense and co-operate.

“Isn't her sister with yours, though, at that boring thing with the ponies playing the stuff. You know, the boring stuff, and things?”

Rip

Applebloom waved frantically, desperately shaking at the page stuck to the bottom of her hoof.

Scootaloo let out a weary sigh and ripped the offending paper off with her teeth, spitting it to the ground.

“Tree sap...” she muttered bitterly. “Remind me again how we got covered in tree sap fixing clocks?

“I think the cuckoo was a little too ripe,” Applebloom groused, scuffing her hoof against the treehouse floor, each little kick coming away with a little squelching peel as she inadvertently glued and unglued herself to the floor.

“All this finicky junk is Sweetie Belle's racket anyway,” Scootaloo moaned, “and she's not even here.”

“Well, she ain't with Rarity,” Applebloom muttered, “Applejack would have brought me, too, otherwise. Unless she's punishing me for somethin'. I didn't do anythin' wrong lately, did I, Scootaloo?”

Scootaloo rubbed the bottom of her maw in thought.

“Depends, really,” she mused, “define 'wrong' and 'lately'?”

“Well, okay, you may have a point.” Applebloom groaned, “But why wouldn't she just tell me? Why'd she have to go and-”

Or,” Scootaloo cut off with a grin, “And hear me out here, or Sweetie Belle isn't with Rarity at all.”

“But why would she lie to us?” Applebloom wiped her eye, much to Scootaloo's embarrassment. Puh-lease, not like she'd cry if Rainbow-Dash had-

Well, not in front of anypony else, at least.

“Well-” Scootaloo smirked a little,“Maybe she's doing something she's super embarrassed about, like weekend-detention, or visiting really weird family, or hiding the fact that she's a robot!

“Don't be silly, Scootaloo,” Applebloom scolded, “You know as well as I do Sweetie would never be embarrassed about her family around us. We've met her parents, for Pete's sake, its not like they could get much worse!”

“Yeah, guess you're right. So, first we check the school, then we check out the robot thing?”

“Heck yeah!”


Author's Note:

Thank you to Warmaisch for helping me edit, to Courtney Southwell for being a constant source of inspiration, and to Oblivion2K for threatening disembowelment if I didn't keep writing this, it really means a lot to me.

Now, for the more masochistic stuff: Fun.

I have been doing an exceptional amount of university work, however, I've been using that as an excuse. Simply put, I need to write more, and I need to make myself write more. That's why this chapter is so short:

I plan on updating up to twice a week, every week, for the foreseeable future. Any lateneness on my part is encouraged to be punished by mailbomb.

I will be writing more, hopefully better, and that includes an upcoming One Shot I hope you all like that is already written just waiting for approval.

I sincerely apologize for the wait.