• Published 19th Nov 2012
  • 4,749 Views, 575 Comments

Trapped - Gylden Glor



Without that precious program in this simuation, I find myself trapped.

  • ...
32
 575
 4,749

PreviousChapters Next
Accidents

Peter opens his eyes in shock, his pupils contracting as he finally understands something.

"What is it?" I ask, frowning as he stands, and closes his eyes.

"Princess," he says, his voice low and rough, "grab onto me. I'll keep you safe."

I frown as I do as he says, and the guards begin to shift a bit, ready to spring into action. "Why?" I whisper, confused and scared.

"The pilot's dead."

As if on cue, the door to the cockpit has a huge hole torn right in its center. A viral pounces on one of the guards, and I begin to tremble and shake as I involuntarily lose control of my bladder: it tore that guard clean in half...

"Hold on tight!" Peter warns, before spreading his arms out wide.

I squeeze my eyes shut as the blimp detonates, and I squeeze Peter as tightly as possible, praying that I may see my mother in the afterlife.


Rainbow Dash

I smile in anticipation as the first blimp touches down. I lean forward a bit, ready to launch myself at Peter.

However, the only individuals that exit from the vehicle are Changeling kids and guards. I sigh, pulling back as I hang my head in disappointment and let my lip form a pout. I feel a hoof pressed to my side, and I look up to see Applejack, smiling sympathetically at me.

"Don't worry, sugarcube," she says, softly. "Ah'm sure he'll show up. He's probably on the last one."

I nod, and Scootaloo holds onto my hoof a tiny bit tighter. I squeeze back, and watch as the children proceed through the respectfully silent crowd of ponies.

I tear up a bit as I realize that more than half of those kids are orphans. Survivors of what is now called the Changeling Catastrophe, those poor children have to live with the things they've seen until they die.

And Scootaloo...Oh, Goddesses...

I tighten my grip on the filly's hoof, and lament the absence of her mother. Nobody has seen the mare since she was admitted to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. I was in the room when they examined her...her liver is totally destroyed, and only a transplant can save her now.

I cringe as I think of the possibility that Scootaloo may soon be an orphan. I'll be totally willing to raise her. In fact, that's something I've known about myself for a while now: I'd be completely willing to replace Scootaloo's mother. But, I just hope, for her sake, that I never have to do that...

The second blimp arrives shortly after the first, and touches down right next to its counterpart. Adults stream out, and a few immediately run for the crowd of children, claiming their own in a flurry of tears and relief. I can't help but smile at how touching the scene is, and I instinctively hold Scootaloo's hoof just a tiny bit tighter as a few children are left without parents. However, they're immediately claimed by close friends as siblings, and I smile at the kindness.

But there's still one Changeling left.

One small, sad Changeling, undoubtedly shunned by the other children even before the massacre. Then again, it's entirely possible that all of her friends died that day.

I feel a pang of pity and sympathy as I watch the poor kid sit there, alone and afraid. However, she sits there for a mere second: a Changeling immediately approaches the poor thing and rests a hoof on her shoulder, immediately adopting her as her own.

As I watch, my own heart crumbles a bit. Heartwarming as the scene may be, Peter isn't an actor in this part.

About ten minutes later, the third blimp touches down. My eyes widen as a Changeling jumps out, immediately tripping due to his lack of purchase on the ground. After he recovers, the Changeling sprints up to Princess Celestia, and I can feel the whole crowd holding its breath.. I take a step forward from the Princess' side, ready to defend her if this should go sour.

"Princess! Princess Celestia!" The Changeling shouts, nearly collapsing as he arrives at the throne. He pants for a few moments, and a pang of fear hits the entirety of the crowd watching. "The...the last blimp...We...We..." He gulps, and Celestia demands that he "spit it out already".

"It exploded," The Changeling manages to utter, fear evident in his eyes as all of his limbs shake. "Th-The Princess was in that blimp!"

"And Peter!?" For a moment, I don't recognize the voice that shouts this. It isn't until the Changeling turns to face the owner of said voice that I realize it was my own.

"Yes," the Changeling responds. "Yes; him too..."

In my heart, several things happen.

First off, a train bores a hole straight through the center of it, and for a moment I consider curling up in a ball and crying for hours, unable to believe that the individual I love more than anything may well be dead.

Secondly, the whole patches back up with rage.

And then, my heart is covered in an icy glaze of determination.

I let go of Scootaloo's hoof, and I'm in the air in a flash, leaving behind Canterlot and the Changelings and everything as I shoot towards the Changeling capital. I feel a Sonic Rainboom shoot off of my limbs, but I disregard it as I keep going faster and faster, hoping to find any hint as to where the remains of the blimp lie.

I feel a second Sonic Rainboom detonate, and a third, and a fourth. I ignore each and every one, and ignore the new pain in my wings, only caring about what terrible fate has befallen my boyfriend.

I involuntarily wince as I think of him as a boyfriend.

Because he's much more than that.

He's everything.


Twilight Sparkle

My jaw hangs open as the seventh Sonic Rainboom tears through the air. The Wonderbolts, who were going to perform an airshow for the survivors, let their readied wings fall to their sides: there's no way they could beat that.

Nothing could beat a crazy Pegasus searching for the love of her life.

"Rainbow Dash! Wait!" I look down away from the polychromatic spectacle to see yet another crazy Pegasus, this one orange in hue, as it runs into the center of the crowd. She holds up a hoof towards the quickly receding trail of Rainbooms, and sighs in bitter disappointment as the maker of said Rainbooms disappears into the clouds. I approach her, and rest a gentle hoof on her side.

"Let her go," I whisper. "She has to do this, Scootaloo. I may not know much about love, but I know that she's going to feel as if she has to find him."

Scootaloo trembles for a moment before turning to me, tears streaking down her face. I'm taken aback for a moment, but I do my best to conceal my initial shock. "I wanna go with her, Twilight. I love Peter, too. Like a dad."

The crowd remains in silence, and I sigh as I usher the poor girl away from the crowd.

"Would it be alright if I bring her inside, Princess?" I ask, fidgeting for a moment as I stand next to Luna. I would ask Celestia, but she's currently locked in a hushed conversation with the Changeling that brought the unfortunate news.

"Yes, of course," Luna whispers. "I will send a guard with you."

I nod, wishing that I could have a bit more privacy than a guard would allow. However, it is a necessary evil, seeing as how the blimp may very well have been destroyed in an act of terrorism.

I hurry Scootaloo through the halls of the castle, and I'm struck by the profound absence of ponies going about their daily business: almost all the inhabitants of the castle are outside, attending the arrival of the survivors.

I bring Scootaloo up to my former quarters, and have the guard remain outside the door. As I enter, I turn my attention away from the filly for a moment as I cast my gaze about what was once my home: all the books, the instruments of scientific research, the charts and posters...They remain where I had left them, untouched and pristine. I can't even find a single speck of dust...Celestia must have cleaned this room every day...

"Is this where you used to live, Twilight?" I turn back to Scootaloo, and smile affectionately as she climbs onto my bed to take a seat.

"Why, yes, Scootaloo," I respond, sitting down next to her, "this is where I used to live as Celestia's student."

Scootaloo nods, and casts her gaze about. "Do you miss living here?"

"Sometimes, yes," I sigh. "I especially miss how quiet it could be when I studied. But I wouldn't give up any of my friends for the world...They're too special to me." Scootaloo smiles sadly, and I smile as well. After a moment, she sighs, and hangs her head.

"Twilight, is there...Is there some way I could go with Rainbow Dash? Any way?" She asks in desperation, her lower quivering a bit. My shoulders sag,

"Scootaloo, I...I'm sorry, but...You can't go with Rainbow Dash. If this...If this was some sort of terrorist attack...Then it's too dangerous for you. Rainbow Dash can defend herself, but she wouldn't be able to defend you, too." Scootaloo sighs in defeat, and rests her head on her forelegs. I frown in sympathy, and pat her on the back with a hoof. "Trust me, Scootaloo. We're just trying to keep you safe, is all."

Scootaloo nods, but I can tell that she's halfheartedly accepting the notion. I frown, and I'm about to interject when Scootaloo begins to speak.

"I'm going to miss him," she whispers, her voice barely a squeak. "I love him, Twilight...He's like the father I never had...And now, he's gone..."

I smile softly. "He's not gone. He's in your heart."

"That's not good enough for me. I want him here. I want him alive..."

I sigh, and pat her on the head. "Sometimes...We can't have what we want, Scootaloo. Sometimes, we have to accept what life gives us."

"Well, life is a stupid cunt!" Scootaloo screams, apparently having lost all semblance of self control. I gasp in surprise, and my ears go flat against my head upon hearing the harsh language. Scootaloo immediately blushes, and her own ears go flat as well. "Sorry...I just...I just..." The dam finally breaks. She begins to sob, and I rest a hoof on her back.

"I miss Peter..."

I nod, and a few tears of my own spill forth. But I keep strong.

I look out the window and to the sky, wondering how Rainbow Dash is handling all of this...


Rainbow Dash

I push rubble around, searching for any evidence of Peter's escape.

The ash sticks to my hooves as I tramp about, kicking debris and rocks about as I search in utter desperation.

"Come on, come on," I hiss to myself, gritting my teeth as I fight back a wall of tears. "He's got to be alive; he's got to be!!"

A pile of ash stirs, and I gasp in anticipation. My cramped wins prove useless, so I simply run over to the motion, digging away as I search.

A foreleg bursts out of the debris, and I jump back in surprise, my heart beating a thousand times per second. As I watch, a Changeling rises from the destruction, its wings torn and its horn chipped.

"Ohmygosh!" I shout, frowning in concern. "Are you alright!? Where's Peter!? Is he alive!? Please, tell me!"

He doesn't answer my questions.

Rather, he jumps at me, his teeth shining as he bares them. I deftly dodge him, scowling as he attempts to jump again.

"What's your problem!?" I demand, examining his body language. He's moving like liquid: it's not natural. Even his eyes...his glowing, yellow eyes...

I trip over a bit of metal, yelping out in pain as I feel a bone snap. I collapse onto my side, and I feel my wing bend underneath my weight, begetting another yelp of pain. I wriggle to see the...thing, and it pounces once more, and I know that I'm going to die.

The last thing I think of is Peter and Scootaloo, and my friends.

And I say goodbye.


Peter

I finally arrive at the crash sight from the camp I share with Metamorpha, searching for the source of Rainbow Dash's voice.

Panting, I immediately see a viral.

And then I see Rainbow Dash.

A split second later, I'm on my knees by Rainbow Dash's side, the viral's body smoking four yards away. I force my arm under Rainbow, and hold her in my arms, stroking her mane as I beg her to wake up. I cringe as the blood from her wound leaks onto my arms.

"Rainbow, come on," I whisper, my lower lip quivering as I cradle her. "C'mon, get up, please..."

Her eyes flutter open, and she smiles up at me, her eyes weak and milky. "You're...not dead..."

I shake my head, tears spilling forth as I kiss her on the forehead. "And you're not going to die, Rainbow. You're going to be okay..."

She coughs, and blood speckles my face. I don't move to remove it, and she immediately wipes it off with a wing. After a moment, she holds her wing up to me, and whispers a single command.

"Take...take a feather..."

I nod, plucking a loose-looking feather out of her wing. She immediately retracts it, and I hold the feather close to my heart as I cradle her, sobbing harder and harder as her life fades.

"I love you," she whispers, blinking slowly as a spurt of blood dribbles down from her mouth. "And now...you'll always have a...part of me..."

My lower lip quivers, and I tuck the feather behind my ear as I gingerly lay Rainbow on the ground. Celestia said not to let anyone see my powers, or know what I can do.

But I say fuck that shit.

"I'm going to heal you," I announce as I hold out my palms, and press them to her sides.

"Peter...I have...a hole...in my chest," she whispers. "You...can't heal me..."

"Shut up!" I shout, focusing energy in my palms. I squeeze my eyes shut and grit my teeth as I push for energy, forcing it up from within me, squeezing my soul for every drop it can spare. I let out an involuntary growl as pain wracks my body: I'm still a novice at utilizing my energy, and this is pushing every one of my limits.

"Peter, you'll kill yourself!" I hear Metamorpha shout from the side. I disregard this as I finally decide that I have enough energy, and shoot that directly into Rainbow Dash. She gasps as it enters her body, and I force myself to open my eyes so I can watch the magic encase her wound and protect it from infection as the energy sends her cells into overdrive: mitosis occurs at such an accelerated rate that it's almost like putting a plug of stem cells right in the wound. I keep forcing energy into her in desperation, and a black tunnel forms at the edge of my vision: I'm slipping into unconsciousness.

As the wound finally closes, I feel something other than energy flow into Rainbow Dash. I panic for a moment, but decide to let it go: if it can protect her, than so be it. I love her too much to let my own concerns get in the way of protecting her.

I look into her eyes, and a weak smile creases my lips before the world goes black, and I collapse onto her chest, utterly exhausted.

Author's Note:

This is just setting up a new development that will occur in the next chapter. The events in this chapter will be referred to later, and how Peter healed her is quite important, but this isn't a primary chapter. I have a bunch of chapters like that: setting up later plot points that will heavily influence the story.
By the way, in case you're wondering when Scootaloo's journal entries took place, they spanned the time from the beginning of their confinement within the bunker to their arrival in Canterlot. The journal entries ended at the same time that Peter planned with Celestia to send the blimps to the Changeling capital, and then left to enact the evacuation.
So, yeah. If you're still lost, just say so and I'll make a blog explaining the storyline up until now.

PreviousChapters Next