• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 3,669 Views, 93 Comments

Quest For Harmony - destinedjagold



A young man found himself as an earth pony in a chaotic Equestria. He now needs to find a way back home, but after learning that the chaos in Equestria also affects his home world, he'll embark on a quest to bring back harmony to both worlds.

  • ...
17
 93
 3,669

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6 - Smile

I am not sure of how many hours I stayed inside that cave digging up metal and gems. What was more, I am not sure why Pinkie Pie decided to stick with me wherever I decide to dig. But that was no longer important as a loud whistle echoed in the mines and everyone stopped digging. Everyone let out a tired breath as they fell in line in front of the metal shaft that would take us back up.

Even though I don't care about other people's lives, I still practice good courtesy to at least show to them that I at least am human. I let Pinkie Pie fall in line before me. She didn't say anything though. I stood behind her, and as I waited, I turned over my shoulder and saw Rarity with other unicorns, and they were levitating the large metallic containers and placed them on another shaft a few meters away from us. That was probably for her and for the dug-up materials only. I did not pay any more attention to her though.

The shaft was levitated up, and soon, Pinkie and I will be lifted up there and go out. I've been wanting to feel the cold evening air after a tiring work I did here. I wonder if I'll get paid. Hm... That gave me an idea...

"You boys are to join me this evening." Rarity's voice reached my ears. I turned over my shoulder and saw her talking to the two muscular earth ponies that Pinkie Pie beaten up earlier. "I am a bit exhausted, as you can see, and shall we say, that I could use some relaxation," she continued with a seductive smile. The two earth ponies turned to each other with grins plastered on their faces. I roll my eyes and turned my attention back to out shaft as the three of them walked towards the other shaft.

Pinkie Pie and I walked on the shaft and stood next to each other as other earth ponies took their place. Soon, the shaft was elevated up and after we reached the end, we walked out and headed towards the exit. Now, I noticed that Pinkie Pie was sticking with me for some reason, and I even tried to walk very slow, making me to fall behind the group of exhausted ponies. But Pinkie copied my pace, and settled on walking beside me.

Ever since I was young, I really hate it when other people are watching me if ever I'm pretty busy doing something, and if anyone are following me all around. Pinkie Pie walking beside me for no apparent reason is starting to tick me off, and I have a very thin patience, though I am trying my very best to extend it, for her sake...?

"Listen, Pinkie," I spoke, but she cut me off after she quickly turned her head towards me and gave me a very puzzled look.

"W-what did you call me?" she asked as she stopped. I stopped and looked at her back.

"Um... Pinkie?" I replied, my slowly rising anger flushed away, and left me with the feeling of uncertainty, about if it was a good idea to answer her question.

She narrowed her eyes a bit and opened her mouth to talk, but then soft murmors echoed from behind us. Another group of ponies are coming our way. She shook her head and continued walking out of the cave. She stopped a few meters from me and turned her head over her shoulder to look at me with an annoyed look. "Are you coming or not?"

I blinked. "Coming? With you?" I'm not really sure if that's a good idea. I'm pretty sure I already walked over the line of her bad-side when I called her with her nickname, for reasons unknown at the moment.

She grunted and walked out of the way. "Fine. Stay there if you'd like." And she disappeared after walking on the narrow path outside the cave, where the sound of the waterfall is now echoing all around.

I walked out and saw in time that Pinkie was receiving a brown pouch from one of the unicorns. She walked off without looking back. I walked and was about to walk pass the two unicorn guards when one of them, the very same one who handed Pinkie a pouch, called my attention.

"You're trotting off?" He asked as I stopped in between them. I suppose 'trotting' means walking. He then levitated a pouch in front of us, and he waited for my hoof to grab it, but as the seconds flew by, he arched an eyebrow. "Well? This is your pay for today."

I shook my head and flash a small smile. "A-actually, I was wondering if you'd let me talk to Twi---er---Princess(?) Twilight." The two unicorns looked at each other with raising eyebrows. They then noticed a few earth ponies exiting the cave, so they made it quick, "Look, here's your pay. Take it and leave."

"B-but I'm serious...!" I cried out, but judging from their glares, they're serious about the mental message they're giving me that if I don't move, I'm as good as fried. I gulped, sighed, took the pouch, and walked, or trotted away.

I stopped on the edge of the water hole as I noticed the gloomy black clouds and the reddish-orange sky. I am really certain that I spent a lot of hours inside that cave. Why haven't the sky changed yet? I was so looking forward for the night's air.

I sat down, only to jerk back up on my feet as I felt my rear shot a powerful pain coursing to my brain. I gritted my teeth as I turn over my shoulder, and noticed my tail. Oh, right, I'm a pony now. That made me remember how dogs and cats back home sit. They raise their tails to avoid sitting on them. I placed my pouch on the ground in front of me as I tried browsing through my pony brain to know which part of it controls my tail. In the series, the ponies could control their tails. I ignored the tired-happy-chattering earth ponies walking out behind the waterfall as I continued to just stand there, staring at my tail. I'm not sure how many minutes had passed before I resigned from trying. I decided to sit down, but before my rear could touch the ground, I kicked my slightly long tail with my back feet, throwing it away from being flattened. That seemed to work. Now I just need to remember doing that before I sit down.

I sighed in relief, and decided to look around. The water is clear, and clear of any young foals. The crashing sound of the waterfall floats in the air. Quiet rumbling thunder roared from the skies. And Pinkie Pie was beside me.

"Ah!" I jumped to the other side. I get startled easily if I'm not being alert about my surroundings. She didn't seem to move though.

"Sorry," was all her quiet voice said as I began calming myself down.

I didn't answer. Instead, I sat back down after I kicked my tail out of the way. We sat in silence, with a respectable distance from each other, and simply staring at the calm water. I don't really know what's on her mind.

"Why did you call me 'Pinkie' back there?" she asked with a neutral voice, and not moving anything else except her mouth.

I glanced at her and replied, "W-well, uh... 'Cause that's your nickname, right?"

She turned her head, facing me with an angry look. I am starting to feel nervous. "How did you know about my nickname?" I was about to reply when she cut me off, "Nopony here knows about that. And I planned on keeping it that way."

"W-well I..." reason-reason-reason-reason-I can't just tell her that I knew about it from a cartoon series, right? Luckily, lying is one of my talents. I've practiced it since I was young, making myself look and sound like I was telling the truth, plus, to make it believable, I mix the lie with a bit of truth. It saved me a lot of times, though I only do that if required, and with my current situation, I really needed to lie if I want to save myself. "P-Pinkamena is kinda a long name, and I got used to call everyon---everypony with the short version of their names." I smiled awkwardly as she arched an eyebrow, "l-like your name. It could be 'Pinks', but I got used to add the 'ee' sound after the short versions of names. So, 'Pinkie' came...?"

I noticed her expression softened, staring at me for a few seconds before returning her gaze on the water. "I see..."

"Hey um..." since her features are clear of any signs of annoyance or anger, it's safe, right? "...is it okay if it's my turn to ask a question?"

She sighed quietly. "Guess that's fair," she replied without averting her gaze on the water.

Great. That's really great. Now, what to ask... Hm... I need to consider a few facts about the question I'm going to ask. I want to know why the sky isn't dark yet, or how long the war has been going, or why is the pegasi and unicorns fighting, or how long she's been here, or... "How long have you been here?"

Silence lasted for a few minutes as I looked at her, waiting for an answer. But after sensing that she won't answer, I decided not to push it if she's not willing to. I turned my attention to the water. Okay, enough of that. I need to return to my task of returning home. I need to go see Twilight. I need to find a way to see her. Maybe Pinkie knows a way?

"Ten years..." she suddenly spoke, startling me a bit, for I was about to turn my head to her to ask her.

Wait... Ten years? She's been here for "ten long years, mining?"

She slowly nodded as she closed her eyes. She took a deep breath, and let out a heavy, a very heavy sigh. There's one reason why I don't make many friends. This is one reason why. I don't know how to comfort them, to let them feel better if they're feeling emotionally down in the dumps. I don't think a small joke will do. It might end with me being down in the dumps, literally.

"Gold Blitz, right?" a musculine voice called behind us. Pinkie ignored it while I turned my head over my shoulder, and saw the unicorn who gave me the pouch earlier. "You wanted to see the princess, correct?" That made Pinkie Pie look at me in confusion. I ignored her, only for a moment, as I nodded to the unicorn. "Come with me, then."

Hey, finally, I get to see Twilight! Now I could go back home! I stood up, failing to contain all of my excitement. Pinkie's not really a friend, so I have no reason to stay and help her feel better, whatever it is that is making her feel so down. I saw my pouch on the ground, and thought of something. I grabbed it with my hoof and placed it before Pinkie. "Take it," well, I don't really want to leave her without doing anything, even though she's not a friend. I smiled, though it was small, but I think it was enough for me to counter her confused look. "I know it's not much, and I'm sure it's not going to fix whatever problem you're currently having right now, but, I have nothing else with me to help you, so uh... yeah..." I pushed the pouch closer, stopping on her hoof. "Just, always remember to smile." I smiled wider, to emphasize what I said. "It also may not help, but it would at least make your day at least a little bit brighter." Yeah, I'm poetic sometimes.

I'm not sure if the same message will apply here in the pony world, but I patted her shoulder before walking towards the unicorn, who was boredly waiting for me. Before we could get further though, I looked over my shoulder, and saw Pinkie Pie staring at me, with a small smile, and she slowly mouthed the words "thank you". Not sure why she thanked me. All I did was talk to her, but nonetheless, I smiled back and nodded, before following the unicorn that led me to the concrete stairway that was spiralling around the mountain of Canterlot, leading all the way up to the castle.

After he took a few steps on the stairs, I think the unicorn noticed that I was no longer following him. He looked over his shoulder, and saw my wtf-look I was giving him. "Uh..." I spoke, "I don't suppose you guys have an elevator shaft like the ones in the mines, do you?"

PreviousChapters Next