• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 3,670 Views, 93 Comments

Quest For Harmony - destinedjagold



A young man found himself as an earth pony in a chaotic Equestria. He now needs to find a way back home, but after learning that the chaos in Equestria also affects his home world, he'll embark on a quest to bring back harmony to both worlds.

  • ...
17
 93
 3,670

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 136 - Wing

“Rainbow Dash”


“What?” I asked when I noticed that Jay and Xilf-dude were both staring at me.

Jay looked back at Xilf-dude and then turned back to me. “Rainbow, can I ask if you can uh, fly?”

I arched him an eyebrow. “What the hay is that suppose to mean? Of course I can fl—” A sudden thought popped in my thoughts, and it made me remember that my wing is injured, or something... “...fly...” I frowned as I turned my head to look at the bandages around my wing. “I... I'm not sure...” I whispered, more to myself, as I slowly tried to move my injured wing.

So far, there was no pain as I managed to stretch my wing halfway to it's full length... I took a deep breath before I stretched it further and further an— “Ack!” I gritted my teeth as I quickly shut my eyes closed when I felt a stinging jolt of pain.

I felt something that grabbed both my shoulders. I opened my eyes and saw that Jay was holding me still. Was I about to collapse? It was painful, yes, but I didn't thought that it was that painful. Was it?

“M-maybe you should fold your wings back, then,” Jay whispered through his stupid black mask. I sighed and nodded.

“Wait...” Xilf-dude spoke just as I was about to fold my wing. Huh, weird. It was painful when I stretched it to reach this length, but it wasn't painful if I hold it like this. If I stretch it further, or fold it back, would it be painful? I can't hold my wing like this forever though...

Jay and I looked at Xilf-dude, who turned and stared at the direction where we were supposed to be heading right before this whole metal bridge-thing collapsed.

“I can't jump all the way to the other side but,” Xilf-dude said as he turned back to us, “we're on a higher height than the other side. Can't that pegasus glide you there?”

Glide? Can I glide? I blew a raspberry. “Please, even newborns can glide!” I blinked. “Uh, pegasi babies, I mean, in my world...uh, yeah, you get the picture...”

They merely stared at me. What? They didn't understand? What is this, anyway? Are their ‘understanding me’ turned on and off constantly like a torch or something?

Xilf-dude shook his head. “Whatever. If your pegasus can't flap it's wings, then maybe it could bare the pain by extending it's wings' full length so you two could glide to the other side.”

“Uh... Isn't there another way?” Jay asked as I stood up. I could glide, yeah, but that depends on the wind, and the distance and the height of my landing point. I walked pass Jay and Xilf-dude to stare at the other side of this broken metal bridge-thingy...

I heard Xilf-dude sigh as I felt the strength of the air. “You're afraid of heights, aren't you?”

“No! B-but...” Hm... The air isn't that strong. I could barely even feel it...

“Ah! You can't swim...”

“N...ye-yeah...”

Xilf-dude sighed again. “Bro, you're pathetic.”

“Thank you. I try.” Jay groaned.

Hm, well, the other side of this bridge is reachable through gliding. Yeah. I'm just not sure if I could reach that with an additional weight on me... Judging from my estimations, the distance is around fifteen meters. It'll be an easy glide, but, I just hope Jay is a lightweight like Xilf-dude said.

“Can't we just climb and crawl on the main cables of the bridge?”

“You can't even climb the mango tree in the backyard.”

“Hey! That was a tall tree! And there wasn't anything I could put my hands or feet on!”

“Kronz didn't had any problems. Also, if you're complaining of holdings and footings, what makes you think you can climb up to the cables?”

“Uh...”

“How heavy is Jay?” I asked as I spun to face the two arguing siblings. These two remind me too much of Cloud and Soarin'... Always arguing.

“Uh, last time I checked my weight, I was...forty-five kilos...” Jay replied, looking away.

Kilos? “In pounds, please...”

“You're still forty-five kilos?” Xilf-dude asked. “You had that weight since high school, if I recall...”

Jay groaned. “I think forty-five kilos is around ninety-five to a hundred pounds, Rainbow...”

I blinked. Not too heavy, and I'm glad he understood my question. “A hundred pounds?” I turned back to our landing point, and nodded. “Yeah, I can glide us there no problem.” I lifted heavier stuff before. A hundred pounds is no sweat to carry or glide.

“You sure, Rainbow?” Jay asked, and I turned to him. “With your injured wing? You still didn't fold it back, by the way.”

I nodded. “I knew that.” I looked at my stretched wing. “It's painful when I stretch it, but there's no pain if I hold it still, like I'm doing now, so...” I turned to him. “I'll just stretch my wing, and then give me a moment to recover... I guess?”

Jay tilted his head to the side, but nodded soon after. “I...I guess so. If you're up for it.”

I smirked. “Hey, I can handle this.”

I turned to my stretched wing, and gritted my teeth as I slowly began stretching it to its full length. Gah, stinging jolts of pain were running through my brain as I continued. I actually felt like I was under a waterfall from the amounts of sweat I was having. B-but I finally managed to stretch my injured wing...

“J-just take deep breaths,” Jay said as I panted. He was holding my shoulders again though. Sheesh, what a softie.

“I'm fine, I'm fine,” I panted as I tiredly shook his hands off of me. He pulled his arms back, which I was thankful for. I turned to my other wing and stretched it no problem.

“So, how do we do this?” Jay asked.

“Simple,” I turned to him, still taking large amounts of breath. Phew... “Stand on...the edge and...carry me... And then walk over the edge so I...can glide us to the other side...”

Jay just stared at me that lasted for a number of seconds. “Um... W-will...that work?”

“Don't be such a coward, bro,” Xilf-dude said as he poked Jay's shoulder with this cellular phone-thing. “You might need this.”

“Huh? O-oh, right...” Jay took it and inserted it...somewhere on the clothes he was wearing. Oh yeah, why are all of them wearing clothes, anyway? “And I'm not a coward! I'm just...”

“Scared. Frightened. Doubtful. Or any other words around that meaning falls to the word ‘coward’ in my book, Jay.”

“Thank you so much for your words of wisdom, Xilf...” Jay sighed. “Fine, let's get this done. The sooner we get this done, the thankful I'll be...”

I nodded as Jay stood and walked near the edge of the bridge. I looked at Xilf-dude and smirked at him. “See you later, I guess?”

Xilfer stared at me. “A pegasus is a mythical creature, at least in this world. Whatever's happening, another world is the cause of this. And if that is so, these weird creatures, including you, are from that world. So...” Sheesh, he talks a lot... “...this is goodbye.” ...just to say goodbye. Huh, I forgot that Jay and I were going to a portal-thing so I could go back...

I nodded. “Y-yeah, uh, bye?” But why am I feeling weird about this? I shook my head. Yeah, need to focus...

I walked beside Jay and tilted my head up to look at him. He was shivering. I gave him a deadpan. “Stallion up! Sheesh.”

He sighed. “Yeah, whatever. So, how do we do this again?”

“Carry me and lift me up, and then walk over the edge, and I'll take over from there.”

“R-right... Okay...” He clapped his two hands together and turned to me. I arched an eyebrow as he shakily wrapped both his arms around me. “Nnggg!” He pulled, and I no longer felt the ground on my hooves. “D-damn it, Rainbow... You're...heavy...” I was now over his shoulder, so I smacked my tail on his mask. “Rainbow?”

“Have you never heard of the phrase that you shouldn't hurt a girl's feelings because of their weight?”

“Geez,” he groaned as he stretched both his arms above his head. “A-and here I thought that you're a tombo...tomcolt? Yeah, that...”

I roll my eyes. “Yeah, whatever.” I stared at our landing point. I then turned my head to look at each of my wings. Yeah, we can do this. “Okay, let's go!” I cheered for his sake.

I actually felt him shiver. Sheesh... I can't believe that this is the Gold Blitz who was crazy enough to go inside Unicornia with Applejack.

“Hello? You still there?”

“Yeah, yeah, just...” Jay shivered again. “O-okay... I can do this... We can do this...” He took a breath. “Okay, you ready up there?”

I rolled my eyes. “A century ago, Jay...”

“A-all right...then...”

I looked down in time to see him lift one of his feet, and he slowly—

“GAH!” “WHOA!”

We gasped at the same time when something somehow pushed him over. I gritted my teeth and tried my hardest to make my wings stay in place, but I forgot the air pressure of gliding while carrying something... Ack! It's too painful to bear!

“Gah!” I gasped as I lost my hold on my painful wing. It felt numb, painfully numb, and the air was rushing from below us.

“Ahhhhh!” Jay screamed.

D-darn it. How could I forget something lik—

“Oof!” Jay gasped as I fell on his head.

“Nnggg...” I gritted my teeth as he lets me go, and I fell on...solid ground?

“W-what the?” Jay spoke, sounding surprised.

I opened my eyes after the pain was bearable a bit, and the first thing I saw was we were on...a scaly surface on top of the water... Huh?

Something was emerging from the water up ahead, and it's big. I gasped when a large amount of water emerged from the watery surface. And when all of that water fell back down, a scaly neck stood ahead of me. I yelped. W-what the hay is this thing!?

“X-Xelene?” Jay spoke. I saw the neck moved, and a head appeared... A dragon head. “Y-you're all right! Wait... Y-you were that blue dragon!?”

“You...you know this dragon?” I quickly turned to Jay, who was in the middle of removing his mask.

Jay got rid of the mask, and smiled. “Darn, I'm glad you're okay, but...did, did Sombra turned you into that blue dragon or something?”

I looked back at this ‘Xelene’ and she just nodded. “S-so...you two know each other, right?”

Jay looked at me with a smile. “Yeah. Don't you remem...oh, right...” He shook his head. “Never mind. Anyway... Dash,” he gestured towards the dragon with an arm. “This dragon is Xelene. We fought before, but we became, uh, acquaintances afterwards.” I arched an eyebrow at him before turning to the dragon. “Xelene, this is Rainbow Dash.”

“A pleasure...”

I blinked. I gasped. “Y-you can talk!?” I think she gave me a deadpanned look. “Oh, uh, sorry... N-nice to meet you?” I chuckled nervously as I looked around. “Um... Nice backside, I guess?”

“Don't get used to it...”

I gulped. “R-right...”

“Xelene,” Jay spoke, and finally, the dragon's gaze was no longer on me. I sighed in relief. “Can I ask a favor and carry us back to the island?”

“No...”

“Huh... Strange that I understand you this time. But,” I turned and saw Jay shook his head. “I ah, need to get back there. Look,” he showed the dragon the mask on his hand. “This will protect me from the mist!” Huh, I forgot that I was also wearing a stupid mask.

“No...”

Jay groaned. “Fine, but can you at least carry us near the island?” He then looked around. “I...I don't think the mist can float above water, or the ocean, whatever... So, it's safe for you to swim us over there?”

The dragon was quiet for a while.

“Jay!” someone shouted from up above. I looked up and saw the bridge far far up. Wow, I forgot about that thing there. Xilfer was poking over the edge, with his buddy beside him. “You two okay down there!?”

PreviousChapters Next