• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 22,484 Views, 3,140 Comments

Fire & Rain - Ruirik



Sometimes it takes the darkest moments of our lives to find the brightest

  • ...
49
 3,140
 22,484

Feathers in the Breeze

For a few minutes, Rainbow and Spitfire remained still, content to merely hold, and be held in kind. Together they watched Celestia’s sun dip beneath the city skyline, the last rays of light filtering between the buildings in crepuscular beams that danced through the evening air. A gentle breeze washed over them and rustled the leaves in the trees. They held each other closer still.

As the twilight faded, and Luna’s stars began to fill the sky, both mares felt themselves relax. For on that insignificant hilltop, under the shade of an old maple tree overlooking the urban sprawl of Manehattan, they were safe. They were safe from the petty squabbles, safe from the politics, pressures, and scandals. They were safe from the prejudices, jealousies, and spite. From their spot on that little hill, none of it mattered.

Then Spitfire’s stomach growled loud enough to make them both jump. Apparently hunger was something they were anything but safe from. They stared at each other for a moment before they slowly broke into a fit of laughter. Rainbow reached for the nearest sandwich.

“Hungry?” Rainbow asked with a knowing grin.

“I guess so,” Spitfire answered, taking the sandwich in a hoof. “Thanks,”

The two mares made short work of the sandwiches, not bothering with conversation as they ate. Spitfire’s silence was owed to the flood of things racing through her mind. Rainbow owed her silence due to her last sandwich trying to choke her to death when she tried to speak and chew.

After finishing the food, Rainbow poured them each a glass of cider. It wasn’t as good as the liquid gold that Applejack’s family made, but it worked in a pinch. Rainbow absently wondered if she could persuade Spitfire to visit Ponyville during cider season.

“Hey, Rainbow?” Spitfire asked, breaking the silence.

“Yeah?”

“What’s your favorite time of the day to fly?” Spitfire asked, her eyes watching the horizon.

Rainbow considered the question for a moment before she answered. “Early morning, right as the sun starts to rise.”

“Why’s that?” Spitfire asked, shifting her attention to Rainbow.

“The ground and the air are still cool, so I can’t rely on thermals to keep me in the sky. I gotta use more energy on flapping to get the same results for trick flying. It makes me work harder until after the sun’s been up for a while, then I can cool down by hopping from thermal to thermal for a while.” Rainbow explained.

“I never would’ve pegged you as a morning pony, Dash,” Spitfire commented, raising her brows.

“I’m not,” Rainbow admitted with a laugh, “there’s nothing I hate like waking up that early and getting out of my comfy bed to exercise. But there’s really no better time for it, and in Ponyville I can always take a few naps during the day. What about you?”

Spitfire sucked in a deep breath, letting it out with a thoughtful hum as she considered the question. “I’d say I love to fly most over a city or town right as the sun goes down.”

“Yeah?” Rainbow said with an arched eyebrow.

“There’s something… I don’t know, something magical in it.” Spitfire began, her voice soft and her gaze distant. “As a Wonderbolt, we spend so many days training, travelling, or performing. When there is free time, we usually end up doing something as a team, or resting for the next event. Honestly, we really don’t get a lot of time to be feathers in the breeze.”

Rainbow nodded, smiling at the old metaphor. “So what did you do when you did have the time?”

“When I did,” Spitfire continued, a nostalgic smile tugging at the corners of her mouth, “I would fly up nice and high, catch a good thermal and just glide over the city. If you keep right in front of the edge of night you can watch as the street lamps are lit, one by one. From up high, it’s like watching hundreds of tiny stars spring to life. And you look up above you and see the night sky with countless points of light slowly coming to life before your eyes. And then I just let the wind take me for a while.”

“Like a feather in the breeze,” Rainbow concluded.

“Exactly,” Spitfire said, her foreleg giving Rainbow’s waist a gentle squeeze. “It’s easy to forget, when you’re a Wonderbolt, but sometimes it’s nice to slow down and let the wind take you.”

Rainbow nodded in agreement. “I’ve always found it helps me appreciate the speed more when I spend some time just gliding.”

Spitfire turned to face Rainbow, her heart fluttering as their eyes met. The words on her tongue vanished into the ether, the evening light bathed them in an orange glow. A gentle breeze brushed strands of Rainbow’s mane across her eyes. Her magenta eyes watched Spitfire, full of earnest affection, respect, and trust.

Spitfire didn’t think as she leaned close to the younger mare. Their lips ghosted over each other’s, the warmth of their breath melting together in a moment of mutual hesitation. Together, they leaned forward, lips meeting in a brief kiss. Their lips parted for only a moment before Spitfire leaned in again; she barely heard Rainbow’s gentle gasp.

Her tongue slid into Rainbow’s mouth, eliciting a shiver from the younger mare. Spitfire wrapped her hooves around Rainbow, sliding her forward until their bodies pressed together. Spitfire couldn’t emphasize how much she had missed the warmth of another pony’s body pressed against hers. To feel the pounding of Rainbow’s heart, the subtle tremble of her flesh.

Spitfire pressed forward, her weight gently pushing Rainbow down until her back rested against the ground. Rainbow shivered against Spitfire as the Wonderbolt settled on top of her, their lips locked the whole time. The kiss only ended when both mares needed a full breath of air.

“Who,” Rainbow paused for a gasp, “who said you got to be on top?”

“Oh?” Spitfire chuckled, her lips kissing Rainbow’s nose, “think you could push me off?”

“I totally could, if I wanted to.” Rainbow defended, her cheeks burning fiercely.

“Could you, really?” Spitfire asked, her hoof gently brushing wayward strands of mane from Rainbow’s face.

She couldn’t really.

“You’re a beautiful mare, Rainbow Dash,” Spitfire said, the comment making rainbow’s entire face heat up. Try as she might, Rainbow couldn’t find the words to respond to the compliment. Spitfire smiled affectionately as she leaned down and pressed her lips to Rainbow’s.

The world around them melted away; time seemed inconsequential. Their bodies all but inseparable even after their lips broke apart. Spitfire nuzzled along Rainbow’s neck, planting gentle kisses where she could. Rainbow reciprocated the gestures, nuzzling and kissing Spitfire where she could.

As darkness claimed the sky and stars filled the void above them, Spitfire rolled off of Rainbow to lie beside her. The two mares caught their breath as they watched the stars together. After a few minutes of quiet, Rainbow rolled onto her left side and draped her foreleg across Spitfire’s chest. Spitfire smiled, leaning over and kissing the top of Rainbow’s head. Rainbow nuzzled into the crook of Spitfire’s neck, a contented sigh escaping her as she did.

“This is nice,” Rainbow said softly.

“Yeah it is,” Spitfire agreed.

“I know I should probably fly us back, but then this would end. And… and I don’t want this to end,” Rainbow said, her voice barely more than a whisper.

“But tomorrow could be even better than today,” Spitfire said, “we’d never find out if we just stayed here.”

“Or it could be a total mess,” Rainbow suggested.

“True, very true.” Spitfire agreed with a slight nod. “But we’ll find out together.”

“Promise?”

Spitfire’s hoof slipped under Rainbow’s chin, guiding the weather manager’s gaze up. Spitfire gave Rainbow a gentle kiss that was all too brief. “On my pinions.”

The two were content to remain there, snuggled together on their little hill for nearly an hour before forcing themselves to get up. Spitfire climbed onto Rainbow’s back again so the weather manager could take them home. Rainbow took her time flying back to Spitfire’s hotel, a fact that the Wonderbolt was grateful for. It gave Spitfire time to consider things: where her relationship with Rainbow was going, what the risks were, and how she was going to deal with Arcus.

She sighed and nuzzled into Rainbow’s mane. The weather mare didn’t smell like any other pony Spitfire had dated. There was no smell of perfume or overwhelming shampoos and conditioners. Instead she could only smell a utilitarian conditioner and Rainbow’s natural scent; like spring rain and static.

Arriving back at Spitfire’s hotel, Rainbow carefully flew into the open window, landing just inside. Spitfire slid off her marefriend’s back, slowly making her way in front of Rainbow and stealing a gentle kiss.

“Thanks for everything, Rainbow. It was a great evening,” Spitfire said.

“Y-yeah it was,” Rainbow said breathily, her cheeks still flushed.

“When’s your shift over tomorrow?” Spitfire asked.

“Uhh,” Rainbow’s eyes drifted up and to the left as she thought about the question for a minute, “five? Yeah, Five-ish.”

“Cool,” Spitfire smiled, “wanna catch a movie and grab some dinner? It’ll be my treat.”

“I’d love to!” Rainbow chirped.

Spitfire smiled, kissing Rainbow once more. “Then I’ll see you tomorrow, Dash.”

Rainbow and Spitfire shared a close embrace and one final kiss, before Rainbow climbed out the window and leapt into the skies. Spitfire watched as her marefriend vanished into the city night, a pang of loneliness in her chest. With a sigh, she made her way to the bathroom, a hot shower would do her good.

For Rainbow Dash, sleep proved to be an elusive thing that night. Her head buzzed, her cheeks burned, and she could still taste Spitfire’s kiss. She brought a hoof to her lips, it had been so intense, so passionate. Rainbow couldn’t think of anything like it that she had experienced before. With a groan, she pressed her hooves over her eyes and tried to force herself to sleep.

What little rest she managed to get was rudely interrupted by the alarm clock. Rainbow’s hoof slammed down on the poor contraption to silence it’s shrill ring. Forcing herself out of bed, she showered, brushed her teeth, and went through her morning stretches to warm up her wings. After ensuring she was ready, and still on schedule, she took a flying leap out of her window and into the warm morning air. Without the additional weight of a passenger on her back, nor the worry of said passenger falling off, Rainbow was able to fly at a much faster pace. A smile spread over her face as she made for the diner where her weather managers were waiting.

She spotted them easily enough, all three having found an outdoor table in the sun. Dewdrop had her wings partially open, allowing the warm rays to seep into her feathers; Flash and Headwind were each thanking an earth pony waitress who delivered their drinks.

Rainbow landed a few feet away from them and took a breath before she trotted over, a friendly smile on her face. “Morning guys!”

“There she is,” Flash snickered, “told you she didn’t forget.”

“I didn’t say she forgot,” Headwind grumbled.

“Morning, Rainbow!” Dewdrop chimed over her coworker.

“So,” Rainbow began, taking the open seat beside Dewdrop, “how are you all doing?”

“Pretty good, thanks,” Dewdrop answered.

“Good enough for government work,” Flash said.

“Well enough,” Headwind said. “I’m curious why you wanted to meet us here, though.”

“Well, one of the objectives for this whole management exchange program was exposing other weather teams to different styles of management,” Rainbow explained patiently, “back in ponyville, we’re a small weather team. Our formal weather office is a glorified closet in the town hall. All we keep in there are the file cabinets and paperwork. The meeting halls are usually occupied and the town doesn’t have the discretionary funds to give us our own building. So I improvised, and started hosting the morning meetings at a local coffee shop we all like. Just a nice friendly breakfast, no business till later.”

“It’s certainly a nice change of pace,” Dewdrop commented.

“Yeah,” Flash agreed, “all business with Downburst.”

“So,” Rainbow began, “tell me a little about yourselves.”

For over an hour the four weather ponies discussed anything they could think of, beginning with complaints about the bureaucracy of the Weather Factory and the almost comical mountains of paperwork. They shared stories of their favorite moments at work, like Flash Cloud’s first day where he accidentally started a grassfire below the cloud staging area, or how Dewdrop parked a rain cloud over an ex-coltfriend’s house for weeks until he returned her record collection.

Headwind talked about his family, particularly his youngest child, a colt who was nearing three years old. Rainbow noticed the grouchy stallion soften a bit as he spoke of them, his posture eventually relaxing as the conversation progressed. Rainbow told him about Scootaloo, the little filly who had taken a shine to her back home. The information seemed to click something in Headwind that made him seem notably friendlier.

Eventually Rainbow was forced to begin steering the conversation toward the day’s work schedule. After confirming that they would meet again the following Monday, Rainbow gave them all the day’s assignments. Dewdrop had an easy day, with sunny skies all across the city, Headwind had to keep approximately thirty percent cloud coverage for the day with less shade over the parks, and Flash would continue training the new lightning wranglers with Rainbow’s oversight.

Going their separate ways, the four weather ponies went to work. For Rainbow, the day went by at a pleasantly brisk pace. Little by little, her new lightning wranglers were starting to get the hang of things. Most of them were now capable of basic static manipulation to safely charge and discharge small lightning clouds. Rainbow allowed herself a bit of pride in their progress, and as the day ended and she flew to Spitfire’s hotel, she felt almost giddy.

Rainbow was able to quickly traverse the distance quickly enough. She noticed that Spitfire had left the window open for her, a silent invitation. Rainbow flew to the window, knocking on the trim and hooking a foreleg over the sill.

Spitfire, who had been reading a book in bed, sat up and smiled. “Hey there stranger.”

“Hey, Spitfire!” Rainbow greeted with a bright smile, “can I come in?”

“Of course you can,” Spitfire said, trotting closer to the window.

No sooner had Rainbow gotten all four hooves on the floor before Spitfire pulled her into a tight hug and pressed their lips together. Rainbow felt that familiar shiver run through her body as her cheeks flushed red. As soon as it began, the kiss ended, leaving Rainbow slightly dazed.

“Have a good day?” Spitfire asked.

“Huh? Oh, uh, yeah!” Rainbow answered, her mind finally rebooting. “What about you?”

“Kinda dull, to be honest,” Spitfire answered, getting her saddlebags on. “Think you could fly us to the ground? It’s quicker than the stairs.”

“Sure thing,” Rainbow answered.

Climbing onto Rainbow’s back, Spitfire made herself comfortable, nuzzling into Rainbow’s mane and squeezing her forelegs around the younger mare’s torso. Rainbow waited until she was sure her passenger was ready before she flew out the window and glided down to the street. Spitfire efficiently slipped off of Rainbow’s back and took up beside her as they began their walk.

“Thanks for the lift,” she said with a smile.

“My pleasure!” Rainbow answered, flashing Spitfire another bright grin.

As the two began their walk, Spitfire noticed a reflection in the corner of her eye. Instinctively she turned her head, looking for the source. She saw a few ponies on the other side of the street, mostly earth ponies keeping to themselves as they went about their business, as well as a few unicorns and a tan pegasus sitting on a bench.

Spitfire’s eyes narrowed warily. Years of training and experience telling her something wasn’t right with this picture. Still, she couldn’t quite put her hoof on what... yet.

“Something wrong?” Rainbow asked, noticing Spitfire’s slow in pace.

“Huh? Oh, no. Sorry Rainbow, just thought I saw something. Nevermind, it’s fine.” Spitfire smiled to her date.

“Okay, if you say so,” Rainbow said, a concerned frown at the corner of her mouth.

The longer the two walked, the more Spitfire felt something wasn’t right. Occasionally, she kept catching reflections of light that would draw her attention. Each time she looked she didn’t see anything notable. It wasn’t until they were trotting through the merchant’s district that Spitfire noticed him. The same tan pegasus she had spotted outside of her hotel sitting on a bench, only now she noticed the camera around his neck.

Her temper flared, a fire lighting in her eyes. She tolerated the paparazzi in Cloudsdale as much as she possibly could, but this was a different situation, and far more delicate. Spitfire glanced at Rainbow and took a breath to calm herself down. She had a plan, she just hoped Rainbow would play along.

“Hey, Rainbow?” She began, her cold tone instantly catching Rainbow’s attention.

“Yeah?”

“I need you to keep walking and make no reaction to what I’m about to tell you, okay?”

“Um, okay?” Rainbow said, trying very hard not to look at Spitfire.

“We’re being tailed by a pony with a camera,” Spitfire said, noting the slight hitch in Rainbow’s step. “I think he’s been following us since we left the hotel.”

“Do you think he’s gotten our picture?” Rainbow asked.

“I think he’s gotten several.” Spitfire answered.

“Great,” Rainbow groaned, “what do we do?”

“If he does have pictures, I can’t let him keep them.” Spitfire said, her tone cold.

“So what do we do?” Rainbow asked again.

“Follow me and act natural,” Spitfire said.

Across the street, Quick Snap frowned as Spitfire and the sky-blue mare casually turned down an ally. He paused for a moment, his eyes drifting to the camera around his neck. Just a few more pictures, and Red Top would no longer be a concern. He only had a half dozen pictures left on his current film strip anyway.

“Sorry, grandpa,” he whispered to the camera as he trotted towards the alley. Out of habit, he checked over his shoulder to make sure nopony was following him before he darted around the corner. He spotted Spitfire and her friend at the end of the ally, turning right onto an adjacent street. He gave them a couple minutes head start before he followed.

“I swear,” he mumbled, trotting towards the turn, “when this mess is finally over I’m gonna find work in Cloudsdale if it’s the last thing I-AHH!”

Quick’s screamed as he was pulled off his hooves, his grandfather’s camera ripped from his neck shortly before he was pinned face down in the dirt. Panic overwhelmed him; his scrawny body struggled for all it was worth against the pony holding him down, yet all he did was seem to annoy his captor. Spitfire’s golden hoof stepped into his line of sight, Quick’s eyes followed her foreleg up. His heart froze in his chest when he spotted his grandpa’s camera in her hoof.

“Why are you tailing us?” Spitfire demanded, glaring down at the helpless photographer with unveiled disgust.

“I’m sorry!” Quick cried, “I-I’m just doing my job!”

Spitfire’s eyes bored into him for a long moment. She shifted her gaze to the camera in her hoof. “I can’t let you have these pictures.” she concluded, hefting the camera over her head.

Quick’s eyes went wide. “No! No, please, please-please-please-please, I’m begging you, just-please, please don’t smash my camera!” he pleaded, tears welling up in his eyes. “Beat me up, break my wings, I don’t care! Just please not that camera!”

Spitfire and Rainbow Dash exchanged an uncomfortable look.

“Is this, you know, normal?” Rainbow asked, her eyes shifting from Spitfire to the nearly-hysterical photographer..

“Not even a little,” Spitfire answered, finding the whole display somewhat unnerving.

“Please,” Quick choked out, tears rolling down his cheeks as he went limp in Rainbow’s gasp. “please... I’m begging you... please,” he whimpered

Spitfire looked to the camera in her hoof, then back down at the stallion pinned under Rainbow. Shaking her head she sighed and lowered her hoof, sparing the camera for the moment.

“Let him up,” she told Rainbow as she opened the camera and pulled out the film.

Rainbow nodded, climbing off of Quick and helping him back to his hooves. Part of her felt bad for what they had done, particularly how she had pulled him down hard enough to knock his saddlebags off his back. Still, it wasn’t enough to overwhelm her anger with being followed and photographed; it reminded her too much of the Gabby Gums incident.

After she had the film safely tucked away in her saddlebag, Spitfire tossed the camera to Quick Snap. The stallion gasped in fright, almost fumbling over himself to catch the camera safely. A fresh wave of tears slid down his cheeks once the camera was safe in his hooves. He gasped for air in an attempt to calm down as he reached for his fallen saddlebag.

Rainbow stepped on the bag, preventing him from getting what he was after.

“What are you looking for?” she asked with a wary glare.

“P-please, my inhaler, please... “ Quick said through strained breaths.

Rainbow pushed the bag towards Quick and leapt away like it had bitten her. Quick fumbled in the back with one hoof, cradling his camera in the other. Retrieving his inhaler, he took a deep puff from it, holding his breath for a minute before slowly exhaling. He sat back heavily, his back pressing against a cold brick wall. Spitfire waited for a moment before she spoke again, her tone less forceful than before... barely.

“Now, why were you following us?” she asked.

“I’m sorry, I-I didn’t have a choice,” Quick answered.

“There’s always a choice,” Rainbow countered.

“Not for me!” Quick shouted, his face contorting in anguish. “Not from him.”

“Who?” Spitfire asked, putting her hoof on his shoulder, “who’s got you so scared?”

“Red... Red Top,” he answered.

Spitfire took a step back and forced herself to take a calming breath.

“I should’ve known,” she growled, pressing a hoof to her forehead.

“I’m sorry,” Quick repeated, clutching his camera like a foal with a stuffed toy.

“Alright,” Spitfire began, “my friend and I are gonna leave now. If I ever see you again though, If I even think you’re tailing us, then I’m gonna find you and smash that camera into a million little pieces,” Spitfire promised, her hoof delicately tapping on the camera. “Are we clear?”

Quick nodded, his jaw trembling, ears flat, and eyes wide, “C-crystal, ma’am.”

Spitfire and Rainbow trotted out of the alley and disappeared around the corner, leaving Quick Snap alone with his thoughts. He looked to his grandfather’s camera; he could see his reflection in the lens. It stared at him like an unblinking eye; ashamed. Quick squeezed his eyes shut and held the camera close. He didn’t try to stop the tears that flowed down his cheeks.