• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 22,481 Views, 3,140 Comments

Fire & Rain - Ruirik



Sometimes it takes the darkest moments of our lives to find the brightest

  • ...
49
 3,140
 22,481

Culinary Misadventure

“Oh I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts dee de lee dee de lee, I really, really hate this stupid song,” Spitfire sang to herself as she rummaged for something to eat. One of the perks of having a celebrity caliber hotel suite was having a small kitchenette where she could prepare food.

This, of course, implied that Spitfire was capable of cooking anything more complicated than a sandwich.

It was a stark contrast to how she had spent the previous Friday, dining at what was probably the fanciest restaurant in Manehattan with Rainbow, Soarin’, and Rapid. Sadly, the Wonderbolts didn’t pay well enough for her to do that sort of thing very often. Finding just enough to make a simple sandwich, Spitfire laid out the ingredients on the small countertop and went to turn on the radio. After all, cooking without music was just a chore she had to eat at the end.

Surfing through the channels for a moment, she stopped when a familiar tune caught her ear. The catchy guitar riff underlying a seemingly soft spoken singer, Spitfire bobbed her head in time with the music, swinging her hips in time with the song.

“Ooh yeah!” Spitfire cheered, dancing her way back to the kitchenette.

Hopping up to her hind legs, Spitfire spun in a tight circle while stretching out a foreleg in a sloppy ballet dance toward her unassembled lunch. Planting her front hooves on the counter, Spitfire shook her flank left and right to the beat as she began making her sandwich.

Bread was sliced, lettuce savaged, and innocent tomatoes bisected in Spitfire’s quest for satisfaction. She took hold of a zucchini in her fetlock and held it to her lips like a microphone.

“The things you said and did to me, they seemed to come so easily, the love I thought I’d won you give for freeeeee!” she sang loudly, imagining herself under the spotlight and being cheered for by thousands of captivated mares and stallions.

“I found out about you-oo, I found out about you-oo-oo!” She sang, leaning back as far as she could before arching forward and dropping the zucchini back to the counter.

With the shake of her plot she resumed the careful and highly scientific assembly her sandwich. A few shakes of oregano, salt, pepper, a mess of this, a pile of that, so on and so forth until an (allegedly) edible mound of produce and seasonings sat betwixt two pieces of bread.

That qualified as a sandwich, right?

Spitfire scooped up the so-called sandwich in her hooves and took a big bite. Chewing thoughtfully for a minute she pondered the deeper questions of existence. Why was cucumber spelled with a c instead of a q? Why was it impossible to sneeze while peeing? How did she manage to ruin perfectly good lettuce, tomatoes, onions, zucchini, and bread in a seemingly simple attempt to combine them into a sandwich?

With a shudder, Spitfire tossed the... culinary misadventure into the trash and popped a chunk of lettuce into her mouth. Resting her elbow on the counter, she leaned her cheek against her hoof and let out a bored sigh. Her free hoof rested on the remaining half of the zucchini which she rolled over the countertop as she contemplated ways to pass the time.

The song on the radio faded as a second song took its place. A pair of guitars played a reserved pattern, an understated strings section calling out in the back of the mix. Spitfire smiled, the song feeling like a warm fire on a cold day.

A series of sharp knocks on the window caught Spitfire’s attention as the singer began. Turning so she could see, Spitfire smiled as she saw Rainbow Dash hovering outside her window. Rainbow gave a weary smile and a little wave to Spitfire as their eyes met. Spitfire quickly trotted over and pulled the window open. No sooner had Rainbow flown into the window than Spitfire pulled her into a tight embrace.

“Hey, good looking,” Spitfire said, her voice quiet.

“Hey yourself,” Rainbow answered with a soft smile.

Spitfire smiled, closing her eyes and leaning forward for a light kiss. She felt the familiar shiver down her back when their lips met, a shiver accompanied by Rainbow’s soft gasp. All too soon, their lips parted. Spitfire’s nose bumped Rainbow’s in an eskimo kiss, the gesture earning a little giggle from her marefriend.

“You okay, Rainbow? You look dead on your hooves,” Spitfire noted, draping her good wing over Rainbow’s back and ushering her towards the kitchenette.

“I feel dead on my hooves,” Rainbow agreed, her posture sagging.

“Rough day?” Spitfire asked.

Rainbow Dash answered with a mute nod, leaning her weight against Spitfire’s side.

“Feelin’ a bit pent-up?” Spitfire asked.

“Yeah,” Rainbow answered, her gaze meeting Spitfire’s. “Know a good cure for it?”

Spitfire thought for a moment, rubbing her chin with her foreleg. Her eyes shifted from Rainbow, to the bed, to the half of a zucchini sitting on the counter. Looking back at Rainbow, Spitfire smiled and planted a gentle kiss on the weather manager’s nose.

“Go sit on the bed, I’ll be there in a minute,” Spitfire said with a wink.

Rainbow’s face scrunched, her right eyebrow slowly arching upward. “Uh, okay... “

Spitfire gave Rainbow a reassuring smile and a kiss on the cheek before gently nudging her towards the bedroom. As Rainbow left, Spitfire took the zucchini in her teeth and smiled. As she made her way towards the bedroom, she turned up the music on the radio.


“Nnnh… Ohh, ow-ow-ow! Easy!” Rainbow groaned.

“It’s not my fault you’re so tight,” Spitfire grunted, applying more pressure with her hooves.

Rainbow cried out loudly, her left hoof frantically tapping the mattress in surrender. “Do you have to use two at once?”

“It’s good for you, it builds character.” Spitfire answered.

“I—Ouch!” Rainbow yelped, “I’ll live without anymore character!”

“You can never have enough character,” Spitfire grunted, adjusting herself into a better position. “Okay, I think I got it, this might hurt a bit, but better you than me!”

“Wait... what?” Rainbow balked, looking over her shoulder.

“Hold still,” Spitfire commanded, pressing her hooves harder than before, lightly twisting them against Rainbow’s unyielding flesh.

“Wait-wait-waiiiiiiieeeee—“ Rainbow squealed, her back arching as Spitfire’s hooves accomplished their goal. The momentary spike of pain replaced by a sense of relief and pleasure Rainbow had never quite experienced. With a satisfied moan, she flopped face down onto the soft mattress, limp.

Spitfire chuckled, her hooves gently rubbing Rainbow’s back. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pony with so much tension in their shoulders. You really should see a professional masseur sometime, Dash.”

Rainbow made a noncommittal groan and gave Spitfire a flippant wave of her hoof.

Spitfire smiled and continued her work. She was by no means the best masseur around, but that hadn’t stopped her from learning a few things from the physical therapists that the team kept on staff over the years. Her hooves worked in small concentric circles, seeking the myriad of knots and working them out as gently as she could.

Rainbow hissed when Spitfire pressed on a particularly sore spot and moaned in relief once Spitfire dealt with the problem. “Rough day at work?”

Rainbow made a slight nod. After Wednesday’s... adventure with the photographer, the two had gone to their movie, a decent—if forgettable—action film. After sharing a simple dinner Rainbow had flown Spitfire to her hotel. They hadn't seen each other at all on Thursday.

The day off had been a mutual agreement. For Spitfire she had learned that a healthy relationship occasionally necessitated some time off, so to speak. For Rainbow, she had a lot of work to do, including a formal introduction to the mayor of Manehattan after her regular shift was over. Spitfire sympathized with her worn out marefriend; she hated meeting politicians. Well... most politicians. Some still had some semblance of a soul left, if a pony were inclined to be generous in their definitions.

Spitfire shook her head, clearing it of the errant thoughts. “What happened?”

“Headwind, the lead cloud pusher, had to take the day off. I guess one of his kids has a nasty case of feather flu,” Rainbow said.

Spitfire winced; feather flu was rough, even for adult pegasi. For young fillies and colts it could be very dangerous. “Any idea how bad it is?”

“Didn’t ask, I just told him to take all the time he needed,” Rainbow answered, hissing for a moment as Spitfire worked out another knot.

“That was nice of you, Rainbow,” Spitfire said, smiling down at the weather manager.

“It’s just the right thing to do, but it happened at just about the worst time possible.”

“How so? I don’t think there’s really a convenient time to be sick,” Spitfire said.

“No, it’s not him or his kids,” Rainbow answered quickly, “it’s just that—well, we’ve got a big storm coming up in a couple weeks, and on weather teams, that means that half the team take their vacations before the storm, and the other half take vacations after.”

“So you’re down half your crew?” Spitfire guessed.

“More than half,” Rainbow said with a weary sigh. “Over half my cloud pushers and rain ponies have taken their vacations now. I’m down about sixty percent right now. And it’d probably be more if I wasn’t holding the lightning wranglers hostage!”

Spitfire chuckled, slipping off of Rainbow’s back and laying beside her. She waited until Rainbow rolled to her side so they could face each other before wrapping her hooves around the weather manager’s waist. Spitfire pulled Rainbow close, stopping once their noses bumped together.

“So I’m guessing you’ve been picking up the slack?” Spitfire asked.

“A bit, yeah,” Rainbow said.

Spitfire’s right eyebrow arched up slightly, her lips pulling into a curious frown. “So besides training the new lightning ponies, how much work are you doing?”

“It’s nothing I can’t handle,” Rainbow answered.

“I know, I know. You are a very exceptional mare, Rainbow,” Spitfire began, again noticing the subtle flinch that the complement triggered.

“I guess,” Rainbow said with a shrug.

Spitfire rubbed Rainbow’s back lightly with a hoof, the curiosity becoming unbearable for her. “Can I ask you something personal?”

“Well, I’m kinda laying in your bed,” Rainbow answered, an amused grin on her lips.

Spitfire laughed. “True enough.”

Rainbow scooted herself into a more comfortable position, her left foreleg slipping around Spitfire. “What’s on your mind?”

“Well,” Spitfire began, hesitating for a moment, “Has um, has something been eating at you?”

“What do you mean?” Rainbow said, blinking several times in confusion.

“I’ve noticed that something seems to make you look really uncomfortable whenever somepony talks you up.”

“I, uh, I don’t think—”

“Rainbow Dash, you are the most awesome pony in Equestria,” Spitfire interrupted.

Rainbow’s ears fell back slightly and a small wince flashed over her face. Before she could speak, Spitfire spoke again.

“That! Right there!”

“What right where?” Rainbow asked.

“I call you the most awesome mare in Equestria, and it makes you flinch like I kicked you in the gut,” Spitfire said.

“I-I don’t think I flinched...” Rainbow mumbled, her cheeks flushing red.

“Hey now, it’s okay,” Spitfire said, planting a soft kiss on Rainbow’s lips. “I’m just... well, worried about you.”

“I’m fine!” Rainbow said far too quickly.

Spitfire frowned and allowed the worry to show on her face. “Rainbow, you can talk to me. Thats what marefriends do.”

Rainbow sighed, shaking her head subtly as she considered Spitfire’s case. “It’s nothing, really. Just me being stupid.”

“Well everypony is guilty of that from time to time,” Spitfire said.

Rainbow scoffed, rolling onto her back and staring at the ceiling. “I seem to be pretty good at it.”

“Hey,” Spitfire began, resting her hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder. “Don’t put yourself down like that. Now come on, tell me what’s eating you?”

Rainbow took a slow, deep breath through her nose, holding it for a moment before slowly puffing it out through her lips. “It’s stupid.”

“Well tell me about it anyway,” Spitfire said, adjusting herself into a more comfortable position.

Rainbow sighed again, subtly shaking her head. “It was last summer. I was flying around, just having some fun, when I heard a filly shouting for help. She had fallen into an open well. So I flew down and pulled her out. A couple days later, I saved a runaway baby carriage.”

“Thats awesome, Rainbow Dash!” Spitfire praised.

Rainbow shook her head side to side, the corners of her mouth turned down in a small frown. “If I would’ve left it there then yeah, I guess.”

“What happened?”

“Everypony in town started calling me a hero, taking my picture, that sort of thing. I... I let it get to my head.”

“What do you mean?”

“I acted like a donkey, I gloated, I preened, and I was stupid. My friends... my friends set me straight and... and showed me that I was being an idiot.” Rainbow said, her voice trembling slightly as she nodded her head as if she was trying to fully convince herself.

Concern filled Spitfire’s expression, her brows knitting together and a frown pulling at her lips. “What did they do?”

“It’s no big deal,” Rainbow said.

“Rainbow,”

“It really wasn’t a big—”

“From over here it looks like it was kind of a big deal.” Spitfire interrupted, causing Rainbow to flinch. Spitfire lifted a hoof to Rainbow’s cheek and gently turned the younger mare to face her. “What happened?”

“It’s in the past now, what does it matter?” Rainbow asked.

“Cause its something that seems to bother you, and as your marefriend I think I’m allowed to care about you.”

Rainbow chuckled from the comment, a hoof rubbing at her tired eyes. “I let the glory get to me. I strutted, I bragged, and I acted like I was some big shot. And I, uh... I went too far.”

Spitfire nodded slowly, keeping her gaze on Rainbow and her hooves around the younger mare’s waist.

“I loved being in the spotlight like that, ponies looking up to me, praising me, it was the best feeling ever, you know? It just made me feel like a million bits! I mean, I love weather work too, but nopony ever comes up to a weather pony and says “Hey, thanks for the nice cloud cover so I can have that picnic in the shade!”. No, they just take it for granted until there’s a rainstorm. Then they can’t stop telling me how we’re ruining this, that, or the other thing!

“Hay, the farm ponies are even worse. One day it’s too dry, then we make it rain and they yell that its too wet! Okay fine; we leave it for a few days and then give it a light shower, now it’s not wet enough! And thats nothing compared to when we’re in a dry spell and Cloudsdale is rationing the rain clouds. Then I’ve got every farmer in town yelling at me why their crops deserve the most of the water ration and the mayor telling me I need to get water into the public parks so the damn flowers don’t wilt!” Rainbow shouted, throwing her hooves above her in frustration. After a deep breath and a heavy sigh, Rainbow continued.

“So when ponies started calling me a hero, I began wondering if that was what it was like to be a Wonderbolt. My friends... my friends saw I had my head stuck in the clouds and they pulled me back to the ground.”

“How did they pull you down?” Spitfire asked, her voice gentle.

Rainbow shook her head. “They put their heads together and created a mystery pony. That pony would show up to a problem around the same time I did, then they’d fix it and disappear. Everything I thought I was good at, they were better. Then, before I knew it, everypony in town was talking about this mare. I was back to being the lowly weather mare, and nopony cared what I did so long as the rain didn’t inconvenience them. So I... I got angry.

“I interrupted a town ceremony where everypony was honoring this pony and demanded she take her mask off. She took off and led me on a chase through the town. I managed to catch her and pull her mask off which was when I found out it was one of my friends wearing it. Then the others showed up wearing their costumes too.”

“Why did they do that?” Spitfire asked in veiled disappointment.

“Because I was being a puffed up bragger, and they—”

“They couldn’t have just said, ‘Hey Rainbow, you’re acting like a donkey’?” Spitfire asked.

“They did what they thought was best,” Rainbow argued.

“From over here it looks more like they did their best to mock you.”

“They’re my friends!” Rainbow snapped as she sat up. “They wouldn’t do that to me!”

“I didn’t phrase that right, and I’m sorry.” Spitfire apologized, sitting up next to Rainbow and holding her hooves up in surrender. “I’m not saying they meant it to insult you or hurt you, but from where I’m sitting it does look like it hurt you a bit.”

“Well you’re wrong,” Rainbow angrily said.

“Am I?” Spitfire asked, “you just told me how much you loved getting the all the attention that came from being a hero. Now when anypony tells you that you’re an awesome pony you flinch like they slapped you upside the head!”

The comment caused a flush of red to spread over Rainbow’s cheeks, her ears folding slightly back. “I do not!”

“You’re doing it right now,” Spitfire said.

“It’s not your problem,” Rainbow argued.

“As long as we’re marefriends then yeah, it is kinda my problem.”

Rainbow took a deep breath, allowing silence to settle over them for a time. “What do you want me to say? It was a bad time, I’m embarrassed about it, and I don’t like to bring it up.”

Spitfire wrapped a hoof around Rainbow’s shoulders, pulling her over until Rainbow was leaning against Spitfire. “I want you to be happy, Dash. I want you to take pride in your accomplishments and not feel like you’re being judged all the time. And I want there to be an us at least for a little while longer.”

Rainbow was quiet for a moment. With a gentle sigh, she nodded her head against Spitfire’s shoulder. “I want there to be an us too.”

“Well, if we just had our first fight we must really be a couple,” Spitfire joked, earning a small smile from Rainbow.

“Hey,” Rainbow began, her voice quiet. “Can I... can I stay here tonight?”

Spitfire smiled and kissed the top of Rainbow’s head while her hooves tightened their embrace. “Of course you can, Dash.”