• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 22,481 Views, 3,140 Comments

Fire & Rain - Ruirik



Sometimes it takes the darkest moments of our lives to find the brightest

  • ...
49
 3,140
 22,481

BONUS ROUND 2: Bad Seeds EP

If there was one thing Spitfire and Rainbow Dash had come to learn about musicians in their time hanging out with Kale, Sky, and Niko, it was that there was never just one song. After Sky and Kale had given them a quiet, slow acoustic piece to dance to, Niko and Kale almost immediately fell into their music. Their talons plucking at the strings of their guitars to form new songs that flowed from melancholic to jubilant. Spitfire and Rainbow could only watch in silent appreciation for the love that the brothers poured into their craft.

The music came to a rather abrupt end when one of Kale’s strings snapped with a loud twang. His hand recoiled from the guitar and a quiet curse escaped his beak. Niko simply chucked while Sky moved to her husband’s side.

“Ow! Son of a—” Kale growled, rubbing his sore wrist. “I hate it when they bite me.”

Sky reached out with her forelegs, gently taking his strumming hand between her hooves. “Here, let me see.” Inspecting the limb for a moment, Sky feigned a pout and gently kissed his palm. “Poor thing.”

“Get a room,” Niko teased them.

Sky answered by sticking her tongue out at her brother-in-law. “Technically we’re in a room.”

“Hardy har, Sky,” Niko said, though the corners of his mouth showed a modest smile. Standing up, he slung his guitar over his back and took Kale’s with his hand. “I’ll go put these away, be right back.”

“Wanna grab some drinks while you’re up?” Kale asked.

“You’re a big griffon now, Kale, you can get them.”

“But I got a boo-boo” the younger griffon pouted, holding up the offending limb.

Sky grinned as she snuggled up to Kale. “Yeah, Nik, have a heart!”

“You two give love a bad name. Alright, I’ll be just a minute.”

After Niko disappeared through the door, Spitfire, Rainbow, Sky, and Kale settled into a relaxed conversation. The subjects were not much more than simple small talk on topics ranging from weather management to life on a tight tour schedule. Rainbow had listened intently to that exchange. After all, she planned to be a Wonderbolt herself one day.

The elder griffon returned soon enough with four ciders and a glass of seltzer water with a lime wedge floating in it. He handed out the ciders to the mares in the room, starting with Rainbow and Spitfire. Once everyone had their drinks and was settled comfortably, he took his water and plopped into the cushy pillows with an audible sigh.

“You sure we can’t pay you for these?” Spitfire asked, “I’d hate to take advantage of your hospitality.”

Scoffing, Sky waved a hoof at the Wonderbolt in a dismissive manner. “It’s no biggie, we get this stuff for free.”

Spitfire raised her cup in a simple toast. “Fair enough.”

“You’re not gonna have any?” Rainbow asked Niko, feeling a little more relaxed now that the star-struck nerves were wearing off.

Niko shook his head and scratched his belly. “Nah, I don’t drink anymore.” His eyes shifted to Sky and his expression saddened. “Suffice to say it’s better that way.”

“So, Sky,” Spitfire started, trying to steer the conversation away from what she sensed was a sensitive topic. “What do you say to ponies that have a problem with…” Spitfire rolled her hoof in the air, vaguely gesturing to Sky and Kale. “You know...your relationship.”

After taking a moment to brush an errant tuft of mane from her eyes, Sky offered Spitfire a simple shrug. “I just smile, tell em to ‘have a nice day,’ and then I’m on my way.”

Kale, who had been lounging on the well fluffed pile of pillows sat upright as though he were possessed. “Babe, say that again?”

Sky leaned slightly back from her husband, her eyes widened from the surprising fervor behind his request. “Which part?”

“That thing you said you tell ‘em!” Kale’s left paw gesticulated wildly at the mare while he reached for a pencil and paper with his opposite paw.

“Have a nice day?”

“Yes!” Kale exclaimed, frantically writing the words down. “Gods above, this is why I love you, Sky!”

Sky chuckled and stuck her tongue out at her husband. “And here I thought it was because I was fantastic in the sack.”

“That’s certainly a perk!” Kale shot back, not missing a beat.

Niko simply rolled his eyes and shook his head with a quiet chuckle. He scratched at the back of his neck as he looked to Rainbow and Spitfire. “Watch out, they might forget we’re here and start screwing on the floor.

“Say, what are the chances you guys will be doing a show in Ponyville?” Rainbow asked Sky, her eyes sparkling with excitement. “Cause that would be the best thing ever.”

“Where’s Ponyville?” Niko asked with a tilt of his head.

“Central Equestria, southwest of Canterlot.” Sky answered after a drink of her cider. “Pretty nice place from what I remember last time I was there.”

Rainbow nodded eagerly. “Yeah, it’s pretty awesome for a little town. You guys wouldn’t happen to be doing a show in that area anytime soon, would you?”

Sky tapped her chin with a hoof and thought for a moment. “Let’s see, we’re in Baltimare next week, Troton, Neighagra Falls, Vanhoover, Canterlot…hmm.” Her eyes snapped open and a bright toothy grin pulled her lips apart. “You know what, I think we are in Ponyville in a couple of months!”

“Oh my gosh!” Rainbow squealed, her hooves pressing her cheeks together. “That’s so awesome I could kiss you!”

Spitfire shot Sky a snarky grin. “If you don’t want it, I’ll take it.”

“Be my guest, mares ain’t my thang” Sky said with a good natured laugh.

The feverish writing ceased for a moment as Kale looked over to the mares. “I’ll give you a hundred bits to kiss Sky.”

Rainbow and Spitfire both leaned back in surprise as they exchanged a glance.

“Really?” Rainbow asked first.

“Really really,” Kale answered, ignoring Sky’s bemused glare.

“Why?” Spitfire followed up.

“Cause mares totally are my thang.” Kale said, waggling his eyebrows.

Author's Note:

A little bonus scene to set up something in Feathers of Blue and Gold. Hope you all enjoyed! I may do one or two more of these bonus rounds should the idea inspire me.

Guest edited by Draven Eclipse and Skeeter the Lurker!

Comments ( 74 )

All hail Ruirik!

King of the sexual innuendo situations!

~Skeeter The Lurker

That was pretty awesome. And I have a feeling that Pinkie's gonna get a rather firm wake-up call when this setup comes to fruition. I've only got one thing to say about Kale right now, though.

:trollestia: Better have them bits on you.

“You two give love a bad name."

So Kale was shot through the heart, and Niko was to blame?

“You two give love a bad name. Alright, I’ll be just a minute.”

Awesome! Totally cool to revisit this scene.

I was just about to go to bed, and I saw Ruirik had thrown in a bonus chapter.

I am not disappointed; that was worth delaying sleep.

4484239

In the rainbow factory, where fears and horrors come true. In the rainbow factory, where not a single soul gets through. In the rainbow factory, where failures pay their toll.

Wait for it :trollestia:

aaand once again you've killed me! :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh: Too bad we never found out if either of them actually did it^^ Then again, I doubt it since, if I remember correctly, the shared their first kiss soon after leaving them^^ Wouldnt want to make the other unassacerily jealous^^

And I thought I loved to throw out sexual innuendos. Good show, sir, good show. This came out in time since I just thought about this fic not that long ago...

Niko

EY NEEKO EET EES YOUR CASAN, WANNA GO BOWLEENG

That was a funny epilogue nice, :twilightsmile: Will they have a Cameo in the sequal I hope so because I like them as background characters. :twilightblush: Well done.

Also the alcohol in this one, pls. :rainbowkiss:

4486716
Alcohol appears multiple times in this story in multiple chapters, other narcotics also appear late in the story.

Excerpt from the chapter "Hurt So Good"

Far across town, Soarin’ was trying valiantly to remember why he had agreed to grab a post-dinner drink with Rapidfire. Also, when ‘a drink’ had turned into multiple drinks.

“You totally gotta teach me how’ta talk in those Germaneesy words,” Rapid said as Soarin’ helped him out of the bar and onto the deserted streets.

“You’re drunk, Rapid,” Soarin’ pointed out in annoyance. “Do us both a favor and shut up.”

“I’m not drunk,” Rapid protested. “I’m just kinda incapissatated.”

“You mean ‘incapacitated’?” Soarin’ asked, a smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth.

“That’s what I said!” Rapid nodded his head sagely.

Excerpt from the chapter Friendly Advise:

Soarin’ tilted his head, unsure exactly what she meant. He watched as her golden hooves separated the bag from its contents, his breath hitching in his throat as he got a look at the bottle.

“J-Johnnie Trotter Blue Label,” he said reverently.

“Took me all afternoon to find a place that sold it,” Spitfire commented.

“Y-you really shouldn’t have got this, Spitfire,” Soarin’ managed to sputter, his eyes fixated on the bottle, “the Black Label was just fine.”

“It’s also your promotion gift,” Spitfire said.

Soarin’s ears folded back as he bit his lower lip. Johnnie Trotter was by far his favorite scotch, and the Blue Label was one of the finest scotches in the world. A quality reflected in its heavy price tag. Soarin’s frugal nature usually restricted him to the more affordable Black Label.

There are many other moments in other chapters, some of which are quite spoilery.

when will there be MOAR!!!!!

4489153
The Sequel is available now :twilightsmile:

O my seeing this story again made me smile. Been a while! Excited to see it got added to!

Thank you, sir. This has officially beaten Fallout Equestria as my third favorite fic of all time. I must advertise this to my followers now!

4686717 Heheh.

On a side note, there are many fics on this site that are better than FoE. I mean, there's one where a sloth goes to Equestria, and a Fallout fic where NMM goes to the Capital Wasteland, etc...

4734485

Usually, stories where everyone is gay annoy me

Haven't you heard. Everyones brays for Gayburn. No exceptions:ajbemused:

absoulute territory of u:

4835668
You are my 700th watcher, thanks! :twilightsmile:

I can't believe that in a full year of being on this site, I never actually got around to reading this in its entirety until now. Absolutely loved it, very well done!

Okay, first of all: Thank you. I really had lost faith in the brony community, but this fic made me want to marathon watch all the episodes again, as if I had just entered the fandom :3. In other words: I loved the story and I can't wait unti the sequel is finished, so I can read it without further waiting times.

BTW I adopted your Headcon, that a Sonic Rainboom happens at mach one. A friend of mine once did the maths and calculated that, if it could happen, it wouldn't under MAch 10-14.

Enough of the nerdy maths stuff and back to the topic: I will recommend this to all my friends who're still in the fandom :D

Best regards
-ASPH

Nice bonus chapter as always Ruirik. :heart::raritywink:

You said that the bonus is for a little setup in your "Feathers of Blue and Gold" story, and I was curious if this will be another one of your amazing scenes where one story plays a small scene into the other story producing a timeline?:rainbowhuh:

Thanks again for the amazing read,


Djponpheonix :twilightsmile:/)

4808118 I absolutely loved this story! You're a very fine writer and I simply cannot wait to read the sequel! My only complainant is the lack of a legitimate Soarin' and Rapid shipping in this story. :raritydespair: (See what I did there?:moustache:) But very lovely, and I wonder what your awesomely creative mind will come up with to write next. :twilightsmile: - Nuka-Cola Guy :derpytongue2:

5049342
The ones that are particularly story related have the relevant lyrics typed out. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it! :twilightsmile:

5050157
I suspected that was the case. Just finished the whole thing, and yes I did!

5082801 Exactly! Once you see a good abridged version...you just can't watch the original ever again! I know I can't take DBZ seriously anymore! :rainbowlaugh: Always hear nappa's voice from abridged instead:rainbowlaugh: Thank you for being a person that can appreciate my comment! :derpytongue2:

5083032
You took DBZ seriously ever? :trollestia:

5083399 When I was younger maybe, but when I watched it being a little older...yeah point taken! :derpytongue2::rainbowlaugh: But now it's just hilarious because of Abridged! :trollestia:

Read through this in about 4 days, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing!!!:rainbowkiss: It was quite suspenceful and I had thoughts of amnesia from one character in particular, but was pleasently suprised when it didn't happen.:twilightsmile: Very well done, and I shall read it again sometime in the future!:pinkiehappy:

jxj

I really enjoyed this story, the sequel is on my read later list

5331270 I was taught that Talk was one of those verbs that always needed a preposition after it, like Look.

5532625
German translations were provided by KibaWR!

Comment posted by Cryose deleted Mar 19th, 2015

Omfg i hate you for makeing me have the feels for 5 chapters but i love the story have a great day (like and faved this story)

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I've always wanted a good Spitdash story, and this is good Spitdash. You took your time with the relationship, walked them through something realistic, and came out on top for it. Unfortunately, something went horribly wrong in chapter 37, and everything from that point on severely diminished my enjoyment of the story. I've written a lengthy analysis of the story here.

6130244
You'd be amazed!

I came looking for a good spitdash fic, and what did I find...?

An amazing one:pinkiehappy:
Loved every moment and really wanted to continue to the very end after just starting (damb sleep)

You done a great job with all the characters, and done amazingly well with all the banter.

Can't wait to start another one of your stories.

Ps: don't always judge on score but 15/10 :scootangel:

4483598 Only he can put this many sexual innuendos in a story that has pastel colored ponies in it.

6319645
A story can be slow without being boring.

I really gotta say, this is, to this day, the greatest fanfiction I've ever read from any fandom. The biggest thing I have to commend you for is the dialogue; so beautifully written that it makes the characters feel completely real, a feat I seldom see in fanfiction.

Second, I must give major props for the pacing. This story is woven in such a great way, utilizing multiple characters' storylines side-by-side perfectly to make it almost completely unpredictable.

Ruirik, you are a huge inspiration for me, and whilst I don't have anything up on this site yet, I definitely have projects in the works, and I have you to thank for giving me the drive I needed to better myself with my craft.

-Miss Meredy

i could have sworn the cover art was not that yesterday... or even a few hours ago... or ever..

6543618
I've been meaning to update that for years

Just finished reading this, and I have to say it was a fantastic experience from start to finish. You've really managed to bring the emotion of the characters right to the reader's own heart, which is a skill I don't find that often in writers. Congratulations on writing such a heartfelt, soulful story, and thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Login or register to comment