• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 22,472 Views, 3,140 Comments

Fire & Rain - Ruirik



Sometimes it takes the darkest moments of our lives to find the brightest

  • ...
49
 3,140
 22,472

Clear Skies

"It’s not getting any better, is it?”

Rainbow managed a small shake of her head in answer to Bifrost’s question. The medicine they had been giving her since the accident wore off in the predawn hours, leaving Rainbow in slowly increasing amounts of pain. It was just after dawn when the pain forced a groan from her lips

Bifrost reached for the call button. “I’ll get the doctor to come in and give you something for it.”

“I don’t,” a wave of pain gave her pause and forced a piteous whimper from her throat. “I don’t want drugs.”

Bifrost stared at his daughter with a look of flat confusion. “Aren’t drugs the fun part about being hospitalized?”

Rainbow managed a small scoff. “Its not fun being that out of it.”

“More fun that spending Celestia knows how long in needless agony, I’d wager.”

“I don’t like taking drugs, dad.”

Bifrost sighed, a hoof rubbing the back of his neck. He couldn’t help a rueful smile at Rainbow’s stance. “You’re as stubborn as you mother.”

“Some—” She cringed after taking a breath that was a bit too deep, “s-some pony’s gotta keep you on your hooves.”

“Rainbow—”

“I don’t wanna—” She cringed, her teeth gritting to prevent anything more than a low groan. “I don’t... wanna get addicted...”

“And you won’t,” Bifrost promised, his heart aching at the sight of his daughter in pain. “I’ll be right here to keep an eye on everything, and I’m sure Spitfire wouldn’t let you get hooked either.”

“I... I can take this...” Rainbow panted, unsure if she was trying to convince her dad, or herself.

“Dash, please,” Bifrost took Rainbow’s hooves in his own, “please, don’t do this to yourself.”

Rainbow would have groaned and would have slapped herself on the forehead had she been physically capable of the act. Her father was giving her a look not dissimilar to a freshly kicked puppy. It was a sign that he was prepared to go into full guilt-trip mode in order to get her to see his side of an argument.

She hated when he did that, mostly because it always worked.

With a frustrated groan, Rainbow relented. “Fine...”

Bifrost smiled, his left hoof reaching out and pressing the large call button installed on a small remote hanging from the side of the bed. After that there was nothing more to do but sit and wait. Neither Bifrost or Rainbow Dash were particularly good at waiting.

Fortunately for both of them it wasn’t long before a staccato knock preceded the nurse’s entry into the room. She was an older unicorn with a lilac coat and a wavy blonde mane. Her eyes were a soft brown color.

“Good morning you two,” the nurse greeted, far more chipper than a pony had any right to be at quarter-to-five in the morning. “What seems to be the trouble?”

“She’s in a lot of pain,” Bifrost answered, “it actually woke her up almost an hour ago.”

“I see,” the mare said, her gentle smile never faltering. “On a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst pain you’ve ever felt and one being “I stubbed my hoof”, where would you rate it?”

“Eight... or nine,” Rainbow answered.

Bifrost remained silent and did his best not to frown. It frightened him when Rainbow obfuscated details about her health. It reminded him too much of Firefly, in all the wrong ways.

Nodding, the nurse made a note in her chart. “Okay, I’ll go fetch the doctor, it shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes.”

“Thanks very much,” Bifrost said, stifling a yawn behind his hoof.

“Anything you need sir?”

“I got a pillow, a blanket, and a comfy chair,” Bifrost answered, giving the mare a tired smile. “I got all I need.”

The nurse nodded. “Okay, it’ll just be a minute.”

Bifrost waited for the door to click shut before sighing and turning back to Rainbow. Her eyes were clenched shut and her expression was fraught with thinly veiled pain. His hoof reached out of it’s own accord, coming to a gentle rest on her bedraggled mane.

“My poor baby,” he whispered.

“I’m fine, Dad,” she protested, one eye cracking open to look at him. “I’m a tough mare.”

Bifrost chuckled. “You’ll always be my baby girl, Dash. Even when I’m a decrepit old stallion and you’re some famous celebrity.”

“You say that like I’m not gonna be working weather teams in thirty years.”

“Well if you’re not rich and famous, how will you support me to the manner in which I am accustomed?” Bifrost asked, sticking his nose in the air and doing his best to look snooty.

Rainbow giggled, the action causing her to wince. “I’ll just have you parked in front of a good gramophone with your record collection.”

“Hmm, fair enough.”

A gentle knock heralded the arrival of the doctor. With his red coat and ginger mane, Rainbow Dash would have sworn Big Mac had just trotted into her room. Had it not been for the horn sticking out of the stallion’s forehead, he would have been a deadringer for the quiet farm pony.

“Good morning, you two, I’m Dr. Trotter,” he began with a kind smile. He trotted past Bifrost to Rainbow’s bedside, his horn emitting a soft golden glow as he took her chart in his magic. “So, you’re having lot’s of pain that’s keeping you from sleeping?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow answered quietly.

“Not to worry, I’ve got just the thing,” he said, producing a capped syringe and a vial of clear liquid from a pocket. Sticking the needle into the vial, he carefully measured out a dosage. Rainbow watched nervously as he slowly injected the medication into her IV. “This should take care of the pain, and has a great side-effect of curing insomnia.”

“Can I have some of that?” Bifrost jokingly asked.

“Maybe next time, sorry,” Trotter answered with a polite laugh.

Rainbow closed her eyes and let a slow breath out of her mouth. A warm sensation filtered through her foreleg and into the rest of her body bringing with it a wave of relief from the constant pains. It also brought a sense of dizziness that made her nauseous.

“How’s that feel?” the doctor asked, capping the needle and depositing it into a locked biohazard bin mounted on the wall.

“Better,” Rainbow answered.

“Excellent,” he said, marking a note in his chart. Setting the chart and his pencil down on the bed, he retrieved a disposable thermometer from a small cabinet of supplies in the corner of the room. Pulling it free of the sealed paper envelope, he held it to Rainbow’s mouth. “Hold this under your tongue, please.”

Rainbow complied with the simple instruction. Silence settled between the three of them for the minute it took the temperature-sensitive paper to be ready. Removing the slip with a quiet ‘thanks’, the doctor marked her temperature on the chart before disposing of the thermometer.

“You fever still hasn’t gone down.”

“Is that normal?” Bifrost asked, his wings flexing in agitation

“It’s a little high, but not so much that I’m worried yet,” the doctor answered. “Still, we’ll keep a close eye on her and if things change we’ll reassess.”

“Thanks,” Rainbow mumbled, her mind quickly succumbing to the painkillers.

“How long will it be before her lung heals up?”

“On average, the lung will inflate in a week, maybe two. Depends on the pony and the severity of the injury. Though with her broken ribs the pain is likely to last for a while, but that should diminish over time so long as she takes things easy.”

“Does the chest tube stay in the whole time?” Bifrost asked.

“We’ll pull that as soon as possible, we just need to make sure the lung has reinflated and there’s no more air of fluid in her chest.”

Bifrost nodded, his eyes drifting from the doctor to Rainbow.

“Anything else you need?”

Bifrost shook his head. “Nothing right now, thanks though.”

“It’s what we do,” the doctor bowed his head politely before taking his leave, the door quietly shutting behind him.

Bifrost sighed, rubbing his eyes wearily and yawning. “Feeling better, Rainbow?”

“The ceiling is all spinny...”

Bifrost laughed, reaching over with a hoof he petted her mane. “Enjoy it while it lasts.”

Rainbow mumbled something incomprehensible, her exhaustion quickly dragging her back to sleep once the pain had been subdued. Bifrost waited until she seemed to be resting comfortably before he climbed back into the recliner that had become his makeshift bed. He grunted, doing his best to get comfortable. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath; all too soon a light sleep had claimed him as well.

At least until some pony’s hoof knocked at their door again.

Blinking awake, Bifrost stared at the ceiling for a moment, almost convinced he had dreamed the knock. He held his breath, silently hoping it had all been in his imagination. His hopes shattered when the knocking came again, slightly louder than before.

Dragging himself out of ‘bed’, Bifrost quickly checked on Rainbow. A small smile crept over his face, she seemed to be sleeping comfortably. Satisfied, Bifrost made his way to the door and pulled it open. On the other side he was surprised to see Celestia and Luna, once again in their mundane unicorn disguises. Celestia stood closer to the door, Luna stood a few paces back, her head hanging low and her weariness almost mirroring Bifrost’s.

“Good morning, my little pony,” Celestia greeted.

Bifrost’s private fantasy that Princess Celestia secretly hated mornings was instantly shattered.

“Um, morning... Begging your pardon, Princess, but what are you doing here?” Bifrost asked, a hoof rubbing his eyes.

Celestia’s eyebrow subtly arched upward. “We agreed to return today to speak with your daughter. May we come in?”

“It’s not even seven-thirty in the morning...”

“Tell me about it,” Luna mumbled under her breath.

“Yes, we had hoped to avoid attracting too much attention since our disguises were... exposed, yesterday,” Celestia explained.

“Who’s this ‘we’?” Luna grumbled.

Celestia heard the younger alicorn’s snark and shot her a disapproving glare. Luna shrugged it off.

“I love you more than coffee, little sister, but please don’t make me prove that.”

Luna shrugged.

Shaking her head, Celestia returned her attention to Bifrost. “Might we come in?”

“Um... not now, no.”

Centuries of dealing with petty squabbling ‘nobles’ and politics allowed Celestia to easily mask her surprise from Bifrost’s refusal. She took a slow breath to ensure she didn’t express her irritation; it had been a very long time since a pony hadn’t simply acquiesced to her wishes. Bifrost didn’t notice; his eyes shut as a wide yawn overwhelmed him. His posture relaxed somewhat as he looked her in the eye.

Celestia smiled, lowering herself closer to his eye level. “Is there something the matter that we should know of?”

Flashes of the evening’s nightmares made Bifrost flinch. He recovered quickly, making it look like he was simply shaking his head. “No, your highness. It’s just that, well, Rainbow only fell asleep a few hours ago, and I’d rather not wake her up if I don’t have to. She needs all the rest she can get.”

Luna stepped forward, cutting off whatever Celestia had been about to say. “We understand, and we shall return no later than three o’clock. We... I believe you will agree that this is a most amicable proposal.”

Bifrost made a slow blink, his exhausted mind processing the younger Princess’s words. Finally he nodded. “I, um, yeah. Yeah, that should work.”

“We thank thee,’ Luna said, turning in place and trotting down the hall.

Celestia’s eyes followed her sister for a moment, wondering what had caused her such a change of attitude since the previous day. Resolving that she wouldn’t find the answers standing and staring, she returned her attention to Bifrost.

“We shall call on you again this afternoon, rest well,” she smiled.

Bifrost bowed. “Thank you, Your Highness.”

Turning away, Celestia followed Luna down the hall, only vaguely registering the sound of Bifrost closing the door behind her. She caught up to Luna by the stairwell, the younger alicorn leaning against the wall while she waited. Luna stood up straight as Celestia approached, their eyes locking.

“Luna?”

“Celestia?”

“What was that about?”

Luna gave a thoughtful sigh before answering. “Let us discuss it over breakfast.”

“Fine, but you’re buying.”

Luna stared at her sister as though the elder mare had lost her mind. “Surely thou jests, we carry no coin!”

Celestia laughed. “Come, Luna. If I recall correctly there is a wonderful pastry shop not too far from here.”

“How thou hast defied logic and avoided a mouthful of cavities, we shall never understand.”

“Keep talking like that, Lulu, and I really will make you pay for breakfast.”

Luna stuck her tongue out at her sister. Together, disguised as common unicorns, they walked out of the hospital, Celestia in the lead.


The Grind House was abuzz with activity. Though, really, what else was one to expect from a coffee shop in a major metropolitan area? The small shop, furnished with rustic wooden tables and chairs held roughly thirty ponies at any given time. Some sat for a while to enjoy their drinks and breakfast treats or talk with friends before going off to their jobs. Many more got their orders to go, filing out of the shop almost as quickly as they would come in.

Soarin’ and Rapidfire were sat beside each other with Arcus sitting opposite of them. Between Soarin’ and Rapid was a large coffee drink of some kind. It had a whipped cream island on top with a sprinkling of what looked—at least to Soarin’—like ground cinnamon. Crowning the entire drink was a plump white marshmallow and a chocolate kiss.

Arcus hid his smirk behind his cup of plain coffee.

“Arcus,” Soarin’ began, his gaze transfixed by the bizarre concoction before him. “The fuck is this?”

“Why does it come with two straws?” Rapid asked, his hoof giving the nearest one a tentative poke.

“Well I wanted to apologize for walking in on you two the other day—”

“You’re never gonna let us live that down, are you?” Soarin’ asked.

“Not a chance,” Arcus answered.

“Oh good,” Soarin’ moaned, his eyes rolling dramatically.

“What even is this thing? Rapid demanded.

Arcus offered a noncommittal shrug. “The largest thing on the menu I could pronounce. Caramel somthing-or-other, I guess. I don’t get the kids these days.”

“There’s gotta be enough sugar in this thing to kill a pony,” Soarin’ mused.

“It smells like diabetes.” Rapidfire gagged.

“Your health plans probably cover that.”

“I wanna see that in writing,” Soarin’ grumbled.

“So, here’s the situation,” Arcus said, completely ignoring Soarin’, “as you both are aware, Spitfire will not be returning to command.”

“At least, not for a little while longer, right?” Rapid asked, biting his lip anxiously.

“No, Rapid, she’s done. Spitfire will supervise the Wonderbolts Academy for the remainder of her contract, and then she will retire.”

“But—”

“It’s over, Rapid,” Arcus said firmly, “as of right now the two of you are no longer stop-gap command. Soarin’, you’re now Flight Captain, Rapidfire, you’re now Flight Lieutenant. Both of you are free to resign these positions, though you will be required to fill them until replacement officers can be selected. Any questions so far?”

“No, Sir,” they answered in tandem, Soarin’s tone stoic, Rapid’s dejected.

“Good,” Arcus turned to the next page in his notebook. “Now, about Fleetfoot—”

“You found her?” Soarin’ asked.

“Is she okay?” Rapid added.

Arcus took a breath and hesitated for a moment, considering how to best break the news to them. “She’s, um... Fleetfoot is currently being held in a secure location, pending official charges.”

“What?!” they balked loud enough for several ponies to turn and stare.

“She confessed to causing Rainbow Dash’s injuries, we’re just waiting for Ms. Dash’s statement before proceeding.”

Soarin’ leaned back in his chair, as if struck by the information. Rapid covered his mouth with a hoof, his head shaking slowly.

“Does Spitfire know?”

Arcus sighed. “Not yet, I wanted to get Rainbow’s statement first, and preferably have both of you around for damage control.”

Soarin’s eyebrows furrowed together, veiled concern masking his expression. “You don’t think Spits would—”

“She might,” Rapid interrupted, a pensive look on his face. “She’s very protective of ponies she cares about, and she can really hold a grudge when she wants to.”

“My point exactly,” Arcus pointed a hoof at Rapid, “which is why I’d rather not have her be alone with Fleetfoot.”

“What happens next?” Soarin’ asked with a weary sigh.

“Fleetfoot has already offered her resignation; it all depends on Rainbow Dash now. It’s up to her now if Fleetfoot walks away from this or is taken to court.”

Silence settled over the table for a time, all three stallions letting the situation fully sink in. Soarin’s hoof absently played with the base of the oversized glass full of semi-liquid diabetes, his expression carefully blank. Rapidfire was the first to speak, his eyes meeting Arcus’.

“Did you accept it? Her resignation, I mean.”

“I really don’t have a choice on this one.”

After a moment of silence, Soarin’ spoke up. “So, what do we do now?”

Arcus set his cup down and rested his chin on his hooves. “What we’ve always done: We carry ourselves with honor and pride, and we persevere.”

“Now then,” Arcus pointed to the sugar laden horror between Soarin and Rapid, “one of you bastards better drink that.”

Soarin’ and Rapid started uncomfortably at the alleged ‘drink’. It seemed to stare back at them, it’s caffeine and sugar filled gaze staring menacingly into their very souls. Wordlessly, Soarin’ reached out with a hoof and pushed the concoction in front of Rapidfire.

“I don’t want it!” Rapid said, smacking Soarin’s shoulder with a hoof.

“I ain’t drinking it.” Soarin’ countered.

“Age before beauty, Mallow.”

Soarin’ shot Rapid a wicked smile and tapped a hoof against his chest. “Rank before anything.”

“Well, he’s got you there,” Arcus said with a nod.

“But... but I don’t want diabeets...” Rapid mewled, his ears folding back and his lip sticking out in a pitiful pout.

Not for the first time in his career, Arcus leaned back in his seat, content to watch the ensuing madness.


Alone in her room on the top floor of Manehattan General Hospital, Spitfire sat in a comparatively plush recliner. Her back was to the door, her eyes gazing into the Manehattan skyline through the large windows. In the distance she could see pegasi flying between buildings, going about their daily business without a care in the world.

It made Spitfire’s heart ache with sorrow. She wanted to fly, she needed to fly. Flying was in her blood, it fueled her soul, it comprised the very core of her being. Without flight, what was she? Just another pony, destined to trot from place to place, only to feel the sky from the basket of a balloon or the back of another pegasus?

Would Rainbow Dash still want to be with her? For that matter, would anypony want to stay with a crippled pegasus? Would she find herself justifiably abandoned for being nothing more than an inconvenient hasbeen to the ponies she cared about?

With a heavy sigh, Spitfire looked to a small plastic cup sitting on the tray next to her. Nearly an hour earlier, it had held a pill to take the pain away. While it had done it’s job quite well for the physical problems, it had also left her far more somber than she liked. At least the hospital staff had taken her off the IV bag, even if they left the picc line in her foreleg until she was discharged.

Her stomach growled, momentarily distracting Spitfire from her thoughts. Twisting her head, she got a look at the clock hanging on the wall. To her surprise, it was already well past noon. Frowning, she pushed herself out of the chair and onto her hooves. After a light stretch, she carefully made her way to the elevator; a little food in her belly would go a long way to improving her mood.

With the aid of the pills in her stomach, Spitfire was able to limp to the elevator in a few short minutes. A quick ride downstairs and the former Wonderbolt make the short trek to the hospital cafeteria. There were few ponies in the line at the time, and she was grateful none of them paid her more than a passing glance. Ordering a breakfast of eggs, hash browns, and pancakes, Spitfire paid and took her receipt in her teeth to find a table.

Grey industrial carpet covered the floor of the dining room, which had seats for roughly seventy-five ponies. Fake trees and ferns were placed in various places to lend a more natural setting and put patients and their families at ease; Spitfire thought they looked tacky. Trotting towards the back of the room, Spitfire gasped when she laid eyes on a familiar mare.

The white unicorn with an electric blue mane and tail was buckled into a wheelchair, a soft collar around her neck, and a glass of milk and a slice of chocolate cake on the table before her. Sitting beside her, with a cup of what Spitfire assumed to be coffee or tea, was a grey mare with a dark flowing mane. The grey mare had a salad in front of her which she picked at with a fork, both mares enjoying quiet conversation.

Moving her receipt to her good wing, Spitfire took a deep breath and trotted over to the pair, her heart racing in her chest. Both mares halted their conversation at her approach, the unicorn’s eyes widening in shock. The grey mare regarded Spitfire warily, looking ready for anything.

“Um, hi,” Spitfire began with a meek grin.

The unicorn spoke first. “Y-you’re—”

“The mare who crashed in front of you a few days ago,” Spitfire said with a sheepish laugh. “I just, well, I saw you over here and just wanted to say I’m sorry about that.”

“It’s fine,” the unicorn answered quickly, cutting off whatever the grey earth pony was about to say. “I’m Vinyl Scratch, this is my fiancee, Octavia.”

“I’m Spitfire, nice to meet you,” Spitfire held out a hoof. Both Vinyl and Octavia took a turn to shake it.

“You’re the Wonderbolt, right?” Vinyl asked.

“I was, yeah,” Spitfire smiled sadly turning to show the thick cast on her wing, “doesn’t look like I’ll be flying much anymore.”

Vinyl’s smile mirrored Spitfire’s. “I know how you feel,” she said a hoof tapping her useless back leg.

“Anyway, I didn’t want to interrupt you two, I just figured I’d apologize for... well, you know.”

“It’s appreciated,” Octavia said, her expression softening somewhat.

Spitfire turned to leave, when a question from Vinyl stopped her. “Hey, um, the mare you were carrying...”

The Wonderbolt turned, her eyes meeting Vinyl’s.

“Is she okay?”

Spitfire nodded. “I’m going to visit her next.”

Vinyl smiled. “Tell her we said get well soon, for whatever it’s worth.”

“I will.”


After lunch, Spitfire took the elevator back up to Rainbow’s floor. Her belly full and her pain pills working, she didn’t feel too bad as she walked down the hall. A smile grew over her face the closer she got to Rainbow’s room. She only hoped Rainbow would be awake when she got there. Knocking on the door, Spitfire waited a moment before Bifrost pulled it open. His cautious look quickly replaced with a kind smile.

“Ahh, Spitfire, come in!” He motioned her through with a hoof.

“Thanks,” she said as she passed, “how is... oh...”

Her words died on her lips as she registered the two alicorns in the room. Celestia regarded her with a polite nod and a kind smile, while Luna eyed her with a calculating gaze. Rainbow twisted her head to see who had come in, a tired grin pulling at her lips when she saw Spitfire.

“Hey, Spitfire.”

“H-hey, Dash,” she mumbled, her brain stalling for a minute before remembering it was considered rude not to bow before the princesses.

“Good afternoon, Captain,” Celestia greeted Spitfire, “how is your wing?”

“Mending, your majesty.”

“That’s good to hear, we all owe you a debt for saving Ms. Dash’s life,” Celestia said, earning a blush from both Spitfire and Rainbow.

“Sh-should I come back later?” Spitfire asked, her eyes flicking nervously from Celestia to Luna.

“No,” Bifrost answered, earning a look from all four mares, “you’re fine right here.”

“Dad, be nice, the princesses are here,” Rainbow admonished.

“It is quite alright,” Celestia gave Rainbow her familiar kind smile. “How are you feeling?”

Rainbow forced a smile of her own. “I’ll be good as new in no time.”

“I’m sure you will, my little pony, though I hope you take the proper time to rest.”

“Oh, she will,” Bifrost answered.

“She definitely will,” Spitfire agreed.

Out of habit, Rainbow attempted to fold her forelegs across her breast. She bit back a yelp when the action irritated her broken ribs. With an irritated sigh she let her hooves fall back to the mattress with a gentle flop.

“I know when to take it easy,” she insisted.

“Rainbow, sweetheart, I love you dearly, but you have a very bad habit of trying to fly before you can glide,” Bifrost said, a tiny smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth.

Rainbow glanced at Spitfire, who tried to hide her snicker behind a hoof. She let out a soft huff, her lips pursed in a small pout. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Bifrost’s lips spread into a grin that sent a cold terror down Rainbow’s back. It was the kind of grin that foretold countless stories that all parents carried of their sons and daughters. It was the destruction of dignity, the harbinger of shame, the crushing of pride. Worse still, she was trapped in a hospital room with nowhere to hide, both princesses of Equestria, and her marefriend, who just happened to be the captain of the Wonderbolts.

“Shut up,” Rainbow preempted her father.

“I didn’t say nothin’!”

“You were gonna.”

“It was a definite maybe.”

“How about you don’t and just pretend you did?”

“Where’s the fun in that?”

“I’ll beat you up.”

“You’d have to catch me first, squirt.”

Rainbow’s cheeks turned bright red. “Don’t call me that in front of them!” she squealed, a hoof waving at the two alicorns and her marefriend.

“Too late,” Bifrost grinned.

Celestia, Luna, and Spitfire stood in silence, their eyes shifting from Rainbow, to Bifrost, and back.

“Sister,” Luna whispered, her hoof giving Celestia’s ribs a light prod, “is this... erm... normal?”

Celestia subtly shook her head, eyes transfixed on the display before her. “I have no idea.”

“Hey,” Bifrost continued, both himself and Rainbow having all but forgotten their company, “everypony starts off as daddy’s little squirt.”

“Dad!” Rainbow sqawked, her face turning red.

“What? It’s just biology.”

“The princesses are standing right there!” Rainbow shouted as loud as she could, which sounded almost like her normal volume, her hoof pointing at the two alicorns.

Bifrost looked over to Celestia and Luna. In a moment of either kismet, perfect cosmic alignment, or sheer insanity, both Celestia and Luna saw the flash of amusement in Bifrost’s eyes. Neither Princess, in all their power and grandeur, could stop what happened next.

“They were daddy’s big squirts.”

Rainbow contemplated if she was physically capable of throwing herself out of the nearest window. Celestia and Luna stared gobsmacked at Bifrost while Spitfire laughed until she cried. Bifrost bit his tongue and held his breath, trying as hard as he could not to laugh.

Celestia seemed to come back to reality first, blinking her eyes and quickly shaking her head in an attempt to forget the last few moments. “Rainbow, can you tell us what happened to you?”

“Hm?” Rainbow lifted her head from her hooves, focusing her attention on Celestia.

“Your accident,” Celestia clarified, happy to finally get a chance at some answers. “We need to know what happened.”

“Yes, yes,” Luna added, still looking a bit... stunned, “Ms. Fleetfoot indicated she got into an argument with you that morning, she feels she is responsible for your injuries.”

Spitfire’s eyes widened, though she managed to—just barely— hold her tongue.

Rainbow’s ears flattened, her eyes drifting downwards. “No... no, it was my fault.”

Bifrost moved closer to Rainbow, concern furrowing his brow. Celestia and Luna waited patiently for Rainbow to elaborate. Taking a steadying breath, Rainbow laid her head back before speaking.

“There was a screw up in our order to the weather factory. I didn’t double check the papers before they got shipped out. Then... on that morning... I... I did something really stupid. I landed on a small thunderhead to wait for more lightning wranglers.” Rainbow lightly thumped her head against the pillow. “Fleetfoot came by and landed on the same cloud. I didn’t say anything to her cause I was worried that she’d panic and set it off and fry us both.”

“Dash,” Bifrost sighed, his head flopping onto the mattress.

“I know!” she grimaced, “I ignored all the safety rules of handling thunderheads.”

“Forgive me,” Luna interrupted, “but I am unfamiliar with weather work. How did you come to get your injuries?”

“Thunderheads are made with a kick trigger,” Bifrost explained. “a solid buck activates the discharge, which is how we start the storm engines. They’re pretty safe if you follow the procedures.”

Spitfire cursed under her breath, a hoof rubbing her forehead. She suddenly knew exactly what happened next in Rainbow’s story.

“When Fleetfoot left,” Rainbow continued, “she jumped off the cloud with a standard kick-off. After that I don’t remember anything until I woke up in this bed.”

“And a “kick-off” is?” Celestia looked to Spitfire.

“It’s how Wonderbolts are trained to get into the sky as fast as possible. You get some air under your wings, and give the ground, cloud, or whatever a good kick for momentum. It’s how we start a lot of the flight shows.”

“I see,” Celestia nodded.

“It was my fault, don’t take it out on the Wonderbolts, or Fleetfoot...” Rainbow reiterated, the last comment directed at Spitfire as much as the Princesses.

Celestia smiled. “I thank you for your honesty, Rainbow Dash.”

The tired weather mare managed a nod. “What happens now?”

“Luna and I shall travel to Ponyville to let Twilight and your friends know you are doing well. We can see to it they get non-stop train tickets to the city if you like.”

Rainbow considered the offer for a moment, her eyes drifting from Spitfire to her father, before setting on Celestia. “No, that’s okay. Could you take them a message though?”

“Of course.”

“Tell them I’m gonna spend some time with my dad and I’ll be home soon, and...” Rainbow looked to Spitfire, her cheeks flushing slightly and her smile nervous. “and I’d like to introduce them to my marefriend.”

A wave of joy flooded Spitfire’s heart and threatened to bring tears to her eyes. Hearing those simple words from Rainbow was enough reassurance to cancel out her irrational fears. Smiling, she moved to Rainbow’s side, taking Rainbow’s hoof in hers.

Celestia gave the couple a kind smile. “Very well, we look forward to seeing you again soon, Rainbow Dash.”

With a brilliant flash of golden light, Celestia and Luna vanished from the room. Only dust-like embers of her magic remained, fading like embers from a fire. Rainbow sighed, her head resting on the pillows.

“I’m sorry...” she whispered.

“We’ll take care of it, Dash,” Bifrost said, “don’t you worry.”

“But, I—”

Bifrost gently pressed a hoof to Rainbow’s lips, shushing her. “You screwed up Rainbow, just like everypony does from time to time. But you’re forgiven, honey, always and forever forgiven.”

“Screw that,” Spitfire playfully winked, “I’m gonna make you pay for this with at least a month of dates.”

Rainbow let out a pained giggle. “I... I can do that.”