• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 22,481 Views, 3,140 Comments

Fire & Rain - Ruirik



Sometimes it takes the darkest moments of our lives to find the brightest

  • ...
49
 3,140
 22,481

Bad Seeds (Part I)

Rainbow had a spring in her step as she trotted down Mane Street toward Spitfire’s hotel. Had somepony told her a month ago that she would have gone out on a series of dates with Spitfire, Rainbow would have died laughing. Yet here she was, almost giddy for her impending date.

Part of the reason for her excitement was the prospect of seeing a live band. The musicians she had seen friday night at the Café Amaréicain had certainly been nice, but that wasn’t really up Rainbow’s alley. The Bad Seeds were classic griffon rock like the songs her dad played on the gramophone when she was just a filly. Amplified guitars, pounding drumbeats, wicked solos, and soaring choruses were what she longed for in music.

Rainbow fondly recalled the days where she would stand on her dad’s back when he took her to see the bands that toured Cloudsdale. The older she got, the closer he took her to the stage. Finally, when she was in her teens, he got them tickets to see one of their favorite bands from the front row.

She had loved it, of course. The pounding bass that resonated in her chest, the screaming guitars that made her ears ring. It had been somewhat of a revelatory experience for the young mare, almost as much as pulling off her first rainboom had been.

Perhaps Rainbow’s only regret in accepting the job as Ponyville’s weather manager had been the distance it put between her and Cloudsdale. As it stood, she no longer had the time to regularly see her dad. While they both tried their best, it was very difficult to coordinate their schedules to see shows together anymore. Perhaps that was why she was so excited to see a live show with her new marefriend.

Marefriend. The Marefriend, the word stuck in her mind and caused a hitch in her trot. Rainbow had never had a marefriend before. Hay, she had never even really had a proper date before Spitfire had stumbled across her. Rainbow wondered what it was that had perked Spitfire’s romantic interest in her.

Spitfire was a mare who had seemingly everything going for her in life. As a Wonderbolt, she had money, fame, and star power. Similarly, as a member of the Royal Equestrian Airforce, she had confidence, rank, and leadership skills. In comparison, what Dash had to offer seemed fairly trivial.

Rainbow, after all, was a mid-level weather manager from Ponyville. The only weather managers less influential than her were the poor saps running Appleoosa and Dodge City. Rainbow could at least empathize with the manager of Dodge City. The biggest difference between that town and Ponyville was the Dodge City cherry industry versus the Ponyville apple industry. The weather team in Appleoosa was a joke even to themselves.

Rainbow didn’t consider herself to be a particularly attractive mare. She put literally no effort into her mane, she rarely dressed up—and even then only did so at the insistence of her overly-prissy fashionista friend Rarity, and she would sooner rip out her pinions than wear makeup. That said, Rainbow didn’t consider herself to be a bad looking mare either.

So if it wasn’t her looks that first caught Spitfire’s attention, then what had it been? Spitfire had the status, looks, and smarts to get any mare or stallion she wanted, so what made Rainbow so special? Rainbow sighed and shook her head free of the errant thoughts. She made herself a mental note to ask Spitfire about it later. Today she just wanted to enjoy a good show.

A smile bloomed across her face as she came into view of the hotel. Spitfire, Soarin’, and Rapidfire were waiting for her by the doors. The three Wonderbolts were chatting about something that Rainbow couldn’t hear as she trotted over to them. Soarin’ noticed her first and elbowed Spitfire’s side to draw her attention. Spitfire’s irritation with her lieutenant quickly faded into a smile as she noticed Rainbow.

“Hey, Dash!” she said as she trotted over to meet Rainbow. “Right on time.”

Before she could reply, Spitfire pulled Rainbow into an affectionate hug. She blushed a little even as she returned the gesture.

“I do my best,” Rainbow said as they separated. Looking past Spitfire, she waved to Soarin’ and Rapid. “Hey guys, what’s up?”

Rapidfire looked up to the sky. “By the look of things, I’d say the sun, a few clouds, a couple birds, a few weather ponies.”

Soarin’ groaned and rolled his eyes. “Rapidfire, shut up before you hurt yourself.”

“I love you too, Mallow.” Rapidfire said, sticking his tongue out at Soarin’.

Spitfire shook her head and chuckled while Rainbow stared at the stallions in confusion.

“Okay, we’re all too sober for this conversation,” Spitfire decided. “Come on, lets gets some hustle in our trot.”

Soarin’ and Rapid saluted Spitfire before they fell in line behind her. Rainbow took her place at Spitfire’s left side. Spitfire leaned over to steal a brief nuzzle, which Rainbow returned in kind.

The four made good time from the hotel to the Stonewall Bar & Grille where the Bad Seeds were booked to play. The Stonewall itself was separated into two distinct sections. Facing the street was the main entrance, which led to the restaurant style grille area. Sidewalk tables were set outside where various ponies could chat and drink while they waited for an available table inside. Slightly down the alley to the side of the building was a stairwell leading down to the bar and stage area. Ponies that weren’t looking for it easily missed it.

Spitfire led them down the narrow staircase and through a painted black door. After walking down a short hallway the four pegasi came into the bar proper. The room was large enough to pass for a dining hall with about three quarters of its space devoted to the stage and a dance floor.

The bar itself was placed very near the entrance they were standing in. It was in the shape of a hollowed out rectangle with stools all around it. There were already a few dozen ponies crowded around the bar, each lost in their own conversation as they waited for the band to start.

“Not too crowded yet,” Rainbow noted.

Spitfire nodded. “I see an empty table near the stage, you guys wanna sit there?”

“Hay yeah!” Rainbow said with a broad grin.

“Sure,” Soarin’ agreed.

“Works for me,” Rapid said with a shrug.

Rainbow could hardly contain her excitement as they made their way to the table. Her manic grin didn’t escape the notice of Spitfire. The Wonderbolt found the smile infectious. By the time all four had taken their seats, Rainbow was practically bouncing.

“Somepony’s excited,” Rapid noted with a chuckle.

“Sorry,” Rainbow said as she attempted to control herself.

“Ignore Rapid,” Spitfire said with a wave of her hoof. “He’s just grumpy that Soarin’s making him sleep on the couch.”

Soarin’ and Rapidfire exchanged a glance. An impish smirk grew on Rapid’s lips.

“What can I say, I miss cuddling my Mallow,” he said with a wink.

Rainbow’s hooves shot to cover her mouth as she burst out laughing. Spitfire didn’t bother trying to contain her own laughter. Soarin’ groaned and smacked his head against the surface of the table.

"Ich bin viel zu nüchtern für diese Unterhaltung," he mumbled, despondent.

After they recovered, Soarin’ excused himself from the table to order drinks. Ciders for Rainbow and spitfire, a brandy on the rocks for Rapid, and an old fashioned for himself. While he was away, Rainbow turned in her seat to watch the stage.

Spotlights overhead bathed the entire stage in a pale blue glow. Smoke emanated from machines hidden behind the speaker stacks. On the right side of the stage there was a keyboard set up on a swiveling stand that an orange-brown unicorn with a gray-green mane was carefully adjusting to the perfect height. Rainbow guessed, by his wrench cutie mark, that he was a stagehand employed by the Stonewall for events like this.

On both sides of the stage, Rainbow could see guitar racks. Each one held four guitars, presumably each tuned for a specific song or set. She also spotted an acoustic guitar tucked behind one of the racks. She wondered if the band had many acoustic songs, or if they would just be using the acoustic guitar for rhythm sections in certain songs.

Rainbow tried to resist bouncing like a foal as she impatiently waited for the show to start. As time went on more and more ponies began to fill up the empty tables and booths. She was about to turn back to talk with Spitfire when she spotted two unicorns making their way to the jukebox near their table.

The unicorn in the lead, a stallion with a burgundy colored coat and a mahogany colored mane, had a pair of bits in his telekinetic grasp. Slipping them into the jukebox, he tapped at the controls excitedly. His friend, a unicorn with a white coat and a ginger mane seemed generally bored with the whole experience.

The burgundy unicorn tapped his hoof impatiently on the floor.

“Dude I think it ate my change,” he whined.

“What a tragedy,” the white unicorn answered.

The burgundy unicorn waited another moment before he gave the machine a hard smack with his right hoof. The jukebox sprang to life with a western sounding guitar over a pounding kick drum. The burgundy unicorn grinned like a foal and bobbed his head in time with the music.

“Awww yeah!” he cheered.

“You’re such a foal,” his friend noted with a sigh.

“Loosen up dude, we’re here to have some fun!”

Rainbow stifled a giggle as she turned to face her companions. Both Spitfire and Rapidfire nodded their heads with the beat. Rainbow watched them for a moment before she cast a confused look to Soarin’. Soarin’ offered a simple shrug as he sipped his cocktail.

Spitfire wrapped her foreleg around Rainbow’s waist and swayed her with the music. Rainbow’s surprised squeak quickly turned to a giggle as she joined in the impromptu dance. Not to be outdone, Rapidfire attempted the same trick to Soarin’, much to the latter Wonderbolt’s irritation. The attempt ended with Soarin’ lightly thwacking Rapid on the nose.

It was nearly another twenty minutes before the main lights dimmed, signaling the band’s imminent arrival to the stage. Rainbow immediately shot to her hooves, her wings fluttering in excitement. Spitfire hopped up next to her, her good wing draping over Rainbow’s back. Rainbow flashed Spitfire an excited grin as the band took to the stage.

The drummer, a griffon bathed in shadow, took his seat first. He took a moment to adjust himself before he took his sticks and waited. From somewhere offstage, the first chord rang out, a distorted guitar that was quickly joined by a second. The drummer tapped a rhythm on the high-hat as the guitars merged into a unified rhythm with just enough syncopation to differentiate them.

Two griffons made their way on stage, each from opposite sides. They walked on two legs, using their wings to balance themselves as they moved. As the drums and guitars built to the heart of the song the lights came up. The assembled ponies cheered when the band was finally visible.

The two guitarists had grey-brown coats with white plumage on their heads. The smaller of the two wielded a polished red guitar with an ebony neck. The taller had a cream colored guitar with a neck the color of maple wood. Both were grinning from ear to ear at the raucous cheering from the crowd. They took turns between rhythm and lead, the larger griffon seemingly in control of the song for a few moments before he passed it to the smaller one.

As the song ended, Rainbow threw her hooves in the air and cheered at the top of her lungs. The griffons didn’t wait for long, the drummer counting them into the next song without any delay. Again, the griffons played an identical rhythm, the taller griffon stepping up to the microphone at the front of the stage. He sang with a powerful tenor that carried through the hall and over the screaming ponies.

“I can't get rid of you
I don't know what to do
I don't even know who is growing on who
'Cos everywhere I go you're there
Can't get you out of my hair
Can't pretend that I don't care - it's not fair”

Perhaps it was the rush of sugar from the cider; perhaps it was the infectious energy of the crowed that was running through her, Rainbow didn’t know. Nor did she particularly care as she grabbed Spitfire’s hoof and dragged her into the crowded dance floor.

“Woah! Easy there girl!” Spitfire laughed.

“Come on Spitfire!” Rainbow shouted over the music, “What’s the point of rocking out if you’re not gonna dance?”

Spitfire didn’t argue with her marefriend, instead she turned to Rapid and Soarin’. “You too, boys!”

“Nah, we’re good!” Rapid shouted.

“Get your flanks on the dance floor now, soldiers!” Spitfire ordered, her face a wide smile.

Soarin’ raised his hooves in surrender before he got his hooves.

“Have fun!” Rapid teased in singsong.

“Oh no,” Soarin’ said with a wicked smile as he wrapped a foreleg around Rapidfire. “If I gotta suffer then I’m making you suffer with me.”

Rapid’s protests fell on deaf ears as he was unceremoniously dragged to the dance floor. Spitfire pointed her hoof at him and shared a laugh with Rainbow. The act spurred Rapid to take an action he knew he’d probably regret later. Without much ceremony he cut between Spitfire and took Rainbow by the hoof.

“I think I’ll have this dance,” he said, winking to his sister.

Spitfire grew a smile that sent a chill down Rapid’s spine. “Rainbow, do you mind foalsitting him for a song?”

“You got it, boss!” Rainbow answered with a grin.

“I’m so dead,” Rapid mused.

Spitfire moved to Soarin’ with a friendly smile, “What do you say Soarin’? A dance, for old time’s sake?”

Soarin’ smiled and bowed. “It would be my honor, Captain.”

“Ever the gentlecolt,” Spitfire said.

Rapidfire watched Spitfire and Soarin’ from the corner of his eye as he tried to keep up with Rainbow. More than once he caught them looking at him with nothing but bad intentions, perhaps more concerning to him was whatever Spitfire kept whispering in Soarin’s ear.

As the song came to a close, the band didn’t give their audience time to rest or cheer. Instead they began their third song in earnest. To Rapidfire’s horror, Spitfire’s plan was revealed as she and Soarin’ cut between him and Rainbow. Spitfire dancing with her marefriend, and Soarin’ dancing with Rapidfire, Rapid was about to laugh it off when the singer began.

“Love,
Love is not the answer
Love
Love is not your friend
Love
Love is not the beginning
And love
Love is not the end

And love isn't just
Liking someone a lot
I don't know what love is
But I know what love is not

For the feint hearted
You turn your back and it is gone
For the feint hearted
It can melt a heart of stone
And nobody can make it on their own”

Soarin’ did his very best not to react to the unfortunate lyrical timing.

“What’s she paying you to do this?” Rapid asked after it became clear Soarin’ wouldn’t let him escape the dance.

“Enough,” Soarin’ answered.

“I hate you right now,” Rapid glowered.

“That’s nice, dear,” Soarin’ answered.

A few feet away, Rainbow could scarcely stop herself from giggling.

“What did you bribe him with?” she asked.

“A bottle of his favorite scotch and the satisfaction of watching Rapid squirm,” Spitfire answered.

“You really are evil,” Rainbow laughed.

Spitfire shrugged and kissed Rainbow between the eyes. “Morally flexible.”

When the song ended and the last note had faded, the band took a few minutes to let the crowd cheer and catch their breath. The singer stepped closer to the microphone, his light panting audible through the speakers.

“How you doing out there Manehattan?” he asked.

His answer was an approving roar of the crown.

“Niiiice,” he drawled. “Well, I’m Niko Grivridge, and we are the Bad Seeds.”

The crowd cut him off with another wave of cheers and stomped hooves. Rainbow noticed the keyboard player slip out from backstage to take her place at her instrument. Rainbow grinned like a filly as she got a good look at the keyboardist. The mare in question was a pegasus with a periwinkle blue coat and a hay colored mane. Niko cast a glance to make sure she was ready before he continued speaking.

“For this next set, please allow me to introduce my little brother, Kale!”

Kale bowed to the energized ponies as he took center stage. “So, I hear ponies like to party. You all wouldn’t know about that would you?”

The cheer of the crowd made Kale recoil melodramatically; the mare at the keyboard hid her laughter behind a hoof.

“Alright then,” Kale began, adjusting his guitar. “Lets get this show on the road!”

From behind Kale, the drummer counted them in, his words lost over the cheers of the ponies on the dance floor. Kale stomped on a distortion pedal and played a lively riff that quickly built to a loud resolve. The full band joined in, as Kale moved to the microphone.

“You, you got a nasty reputation
We're in a sticky situation
It's down to me and you.”

Rainbow lost herself to the music. Her body moving in time with Spitfire’s in a primordial dance. It was unlike anything Rainbow had ever experienced in her life.

“Raise your hooves!
When you want to let it go
Raise your hooves!
When you want to let a feeling show
Raise your hooves!
From New Yoke to Coltago
Raise your hands From Manehattan to Trotkyo
Whoa, whoa
Raise your hooves!”

The intensity of the crowd seemed exponentially linked to the intensity of the song. The more the music built, the more feverishly the ponies danced. Even Soarin’ and Rapid lost themselves to the rhythm of the dance floor. By the time the song did end, everypony on the dance floor was out of breath and sweaty.

The crowd shifted automatically, the tired ponies making their way back to their seats for a break as fresh ponies took their places. The band continued in earnest, the mare at the keyboard leading the next song in with a staccato rhythm. Rainbow, Spitfire, Soarin’, and Rapidfire yielded their space on the dance floor to rest and catch their breath.

“Well,” Spitfire began as she caught her breath, “that was fun.”

“Hay yeah it was!” Rainbow beamed.

“They play pretty good,” Soarin’ said.

“I’m gonna grab us some more drinks,” Rapid said after catching his breath. “Cider all around?”

Receiving no complaints, he began the tedious process of worming his way through the crowd to get to the bar. Spitfire followed him with her eyes for a moment before she looked to Soarin’.

“Better go help him out with that, just in case,” she said.

Soarin’ nodded, quickly vacating his seat and following Rapid. After they left, Rainbow leaned against Spitfire, using the older mare as a living pillow. Spitfire obliged happily enough, her foreleg wrapping around Rainbow’s shoulders.

“Having fun?” Rainbow asked,

“Ohyeah,” Spitfire answered. “Are you?”

Rainbow nodded. “More than I’ve had in a really long time.”

Spitfire allowed herself a proud smile. For a few minutes, the two simply listened to the band play. Despite how crowded the hall had become, it felt like they were in their own little world. After a few more minutes alone, Soarin’ and Rapidfire returned, each carrying two mugs of cider. They carefully set each of the mugs on the table before they reclaimed their own seats.

“Thanks, guys,” Spitfire said as she reached for a mug.

“No biggie,” Rapid answered, reclining.

For nearly an hour, the four pegasi remained at their table, content to let the music take their minds to other places. It wasn’t until the band began to downshift for a slower set that Rainbow sat back up.

Kale had retrieved a stool from a stagehand and had set himself up next to the mare at the keyboard. He had also changed to an acoustic guitar that he strummed once to confirm it was in tune. Niko, the drummer, and the bass player had all temporarily abandoned the stage for whatever what about to happen next.

After adjusting the microphone to the right height, Kale began to speak.

“So before we slow this down a little bit, would you please all give a big Manehattan greeting to the last member of the Bad Seeds, and my wife, Skysong.” He motioned to the periwinkle mare behind the keyboard.

Amid the applause and cheers, Rainbow was reasonably sure she heard the distinctive sound of multiple jaws hitting the floor, hers included. Neither Kale nor Skysong seemed at all surprised by the mixed reaction as they continued. Kale began picking a soft rhythm, Sky joined him, her keyboard set to an organ sound that wove seamlessly into the griffon’s rhythm.

Spitfire got to her hooves and held out her hoof to Rainbow. “May I have this dance?”

A gentle smile grew on Rainbow’s lips as she took Spitfire’s hoof and followed her onto the dance floor. While it wasn’t as full as it had been at the start of the show, the floor was still very crowded with ponies dancing slowly with their dates and spouses. Spitfire and Rainbow kept close as they danced, their bodies swaying in time with the music.

They barely noticed when the rest of the band quietly filled into the song, their attentions focused on each other. Spitfire kept her eyes locked with Rainbow’s. They didn’t speak—there was no need for words.

"When we walk into a crowded room it's like we're all alone
Everybody tries to kidnap your attention
You just smile and steal the show

You come to me and take my hand
We start dancin' slow
You put your lips up to my ear and whisper way down low

From the first time I saw you it felt like coming home
If I never told you I just want you to know
You had me from hello."

When the song came to its inevitable end, Spitfire pulled Rainbow into a tender embrace. Rainbow returned the gesture with a soft nuzzle. They remained still for a moment before separating. Onstage, the periwinkle mare, Skysong, had abandoned her keyboard and took a moment to kiss her husband’s feathered cheek before she took to the microphone.

“So how’d everypony like that?” Sky asked.

The ponies on the dance floor cheered and stomped their hooves in approval. Behind Sky, Kale and Niko discreetly changed guitars. She cast a quick glance over her shoulder to make sure they were ready before she continued.

“What do you say, Manehattan,” she began with an excited grin. “Should we turn it up to eleven and go out with a bang?”

The howl of approval from the crowd was nearly deafening in and of itself. Sky’s grin only grew wider before she hopped onto her rear hooves, her front hooves grasping the microphone stand for support. She turned to face the band and shouted loud enough for her voice to be heard to the ponies in the front.

“Lets bring the house down boys! One, two, three, four!”

The drummer led them in, the guitars tuned a half step down from the previous song. Sky’s head bobbed in time with the song, her eyes closed as she gave herself to the music. As the intro faded, she leaned to the microphone.

Your gentle voice I hear
Your words echo inside me
You said "You long for me," that "you love me"
And I want to see you too, feels just like I'm falling
Is there nothing I can do, wonder if you hear my calling

I'm here and waiting for you
Where are you, I can't find you
I'm here and waiting for you
I'll wait forever for you

Mom's gone to Heaven now
Why won't she come back down?
Does she have someone she loves more than me
I thought I could love you better, we were always together
If we took some time apart you would finally know my heart

I'm here and waiting for you
Where are you, I can't find you
I'm here and waiting for you
I'll wait forever for you

I fell in Love with you and now you're gone
There's nothing left within my lonely room without you

I'm here and waiting for you
Where are you, I can't find you
I'm here and waiting for you
I'll wait forever for you

Author's Note:

Cameo Ponies:
Quick Fix
Abstract Theory
Sojourner