• Published 16th Oct 2012
  • 31,558 Views, 2,198 Comments

Ascend - xTSGx



Cheer up, Twilight. It's not every day somepony changes species. In fact, no pony has ever changed species. Or dealt with the results of that change.

  • ...
70
 2,198
 31,558

Testimony.

For copyright/disclaimer information, see Chapter One.

Version 1.0

Published 12/27/12

Chapter Eleven: Testimony.

“Next.”

Twilight's eye twitched relentlessly.

'H-H-How were you s-supposed to kn-know y-y-you had precognition?'

The line she was in moved forward and the two unicorn Royal Guards stationed at the entrance to the Chamber of the Oversight and Reform Committee scanned the next pony.

“Next.”

Twilight instinctively adjusted her dress to ensure it covered her sides.

'You don't have anything to worry about. I-It was just a dream. N-Nothing more.'

“Next.”

The purple unicorn saw she was the next one in line.

'E-Even if the Wing-be-gone Spell fails, y-you'll s-still have the dress to keep your cover intact.'

She shook her head to try and stop the twitching.

'Just keep calm and don't blow your cover.'

“Next.”

Twilight took several deep breaths to calm down.

“Ah, Miss Sparkle. How are you?”

“Oh, I-I'm good. It's kind of hassle having to testify.”

The guard smiled.

“Yeah, it sure is. Many of us thought you'd be making a speech long before you had to testify but then that nasty business with the changelings happened and Parliament wants answers.”

'Just keep the conversation moving. They'll be done soon enough.'

“I-I don't really blame them.”

The other guard spoke.

“I don't think anypony could, considering how poorly we all did—well 'we' as in the Guard, not you or the Elements.”

“We didn't do too great, either. It was Cadance and my brother that ended up saving the day.”

“Ah, but without you, Empress Cadance would have never been rescued.”

Twilight blushed at the compliment.

'Wait, what?'

“E-Empress?”

The guard looked confused.

“Why yes, she did take over the Crystal Empire recently, didn't she?”

“Yeah, but I don't think she wan—”

Several disgruntled huffs sounded behind Twilight. She turned her head to see the annoyed faces of the ponies in line behind her.

“Heh, heh. Sorry.”

The two guards smiled apologetically.

“Let's not keep these ponies waiting any longer.”

Their horns glowed with the light from the scanning spell.

“You might feel a slight pinch. That's simply the spell; it'll pass in a moment.”

'If it doesn't detect and cancel my spell.'

Twilight held her breath as the two guards scanned her.

“Alright, everything checks out.”

'Yes! Take that, dreams!'

“That would have been embarrassing. The Princess's Personal Student, actually a changeling. The press would go nuts.”

“Please sit down in one of the front rows. I believe Admiral Flight Deck of the Royal Equestrian Navy is currently being questioned. You should be next.”

Twilight nodded.

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

“Next.”

------

The Chamber of the Oversight and Reform Committee wasn't nearly as spacious or well known as the Parliamentary Chamber. What it lacked in space or notoriety it made up for with its ornateness. Elaborate hoof carved wooden paneling lined the room. A single large chandelier hung from the plaster ceiling, illuminating the windowless room. Four rows of wooden benches provided seating for the hundred pony audience that would watch the committee. Cordoned off from the public seating by a decorative rod iron fence were several chairs and tables where those testifying before the committee sat. The seven member committee itself sat behind an equally elaborate-as-the-paneling desk that was a few dozen feet long facing the audience and witnesses.

Twilight walked down one of the aisles and took a seat in one of the front rows. As it was a typical session of the committee, the room was nowhere near full with only a few dozen ponies in the seats. Twilight noticed several members of the press were on hand along with their cameras; ready to write their boring report of the meeting for the back pages of the newspaper. She also noticed several motion picture cameras which were recording the meeting for the newly formed Stable and Saddlellite Pony Affairs Network.

In front of Twilight, sitting behind one of the tables, was a sky blue pegasus mare wearing a full dress naval uniform. Twilight listened to the conversation she was having with the brown earth pony known as Corn Subsidy, Chairpony of the Committee.

“That's all well and good, Admiral, but why didn't the National Defense Council better manage things before, during, and after the invasion?”

“The Council has always used the Outer Defense Strategy. The Strategy being that any attack on Equestria would come from off-continent. We never anticipated an attack from within the continent.”

The blue unicorn MP from Manehatten raised her eyebrow.

“Even after the Nightmare Moon Incident and Discord's Containment Breach?”

“Both of those events were done by single beings and weren't actual invasions.”

Baltimare's purple pegasus MP was next.

“This is what I don't get. We had Captain Borealis of the Night Guard testify yesterday that they had received credible intelligence that Canterlot was going to be attacked. Even with ample warning, you still failed to protect the city. If it wasn't for Her Majesty’s student—yet again, I'll point out—saving things, we'd all be in cocoons right now. What's the point of spending a billion bits a year on the armed forces, if they can't do their job?”

“Any deficiencies can be attributed to a lack of proper experience. Equestria hasn't, thankfully, seen a war in well over a hundred years. Reducing the budget would be absolutely disastrous as it would not only kill morale—what kind of message would it send the soldiers if you cut their funding because they 'failed' to do their job—but it would leave us as sitting ducks for the Griffins, Civil War or no Civil War. And that doesn't even factor in the Tsardom of Canissia.”

The pink unicorn from Los Pegasus chimed in.

“I'm just hoping this has nothing to do with the ongoing dispute the National Defense Council is having with the Diarchy regarding the Discord Question.”

“What would it have to do with the dispute?”

“Think about it. The NDC slackens security to prove your position regarding Discord.”

“We would never compromise Equestria's security just to prove a point or 'teach a lesson'. Can't say the same for the Diarchy.”

Corn Subsidy grabbed his gavel and hammered it down.

“That comment was out of line, Flight Deck.”

“My apologies, Chairpony. I meant no disrespect.”

“I'm sure you didn't.”

Dodge Junction's yellow earth pony decided to break the tension.

“Your dispute with the Diarchy over Discord is not relevant to this inquiry, so let's get back on topic. A topic more important to you, as Fleet Admiral, then as Chair of the NDC. My concern is this: the Royal Guard played an important—if ineffective—role during the last several incidents with the changelings and Discord and the like. The Night Guard have proven they are more then capable at gathering intelligence and handling the 'unsavory' matters that need to be dealt with. The Wonderbolts—while being only slightly less ineffective than the Royal Guard—are a great way to recruit and provide a positive experience for civilians. That just leaves the Royal Equestrian Navy. An artifact of our concerns about Griffin and Canissian aggression, the navy played zero role in any of the recent threats to the country. Why does Equestria even need a navy?”

“The Royal Equestrian Navy is vital to the safety of the country. While the Griffo-Minotaurian and Canissian Empires may not be what they once were, they can and do still pose a significant threat. A threat that only the REN can deal with. The primary reason neither has attempted an invasion in well over a century is because any attempt to establish a beachhead, a necessary component to an invasion, would face severe and crippling resistance from the REN and would take more people and resources then either country has. The REN also is vital to monitoring the seaponies and maremaids, as per the Cosmic Council's orders, and ensuring that Aquastria remains safe. Getting rid of the REN would almost guarantee another invasion and kill untold ponies.”

Corn Subsidy spoke next.

“Let's not keep the Admiral any longer then necessary. Especially since we have to question Her Majesty's Student next.”

Twilight gulped.

“So I think I'll ask the last question. Admiral, is the National Defense Council ready for another possible changeling infiltration?”

Flight Deck smirked to herself.

“The Council is more than prepared, Mr. Chairpony.”

Corn Subsidy smiled.

“Very good. We'll hold you to that, Flight Deck. You're excused. The Oversight and Reform Committee thanks you for your participation today.”

Flight Deck stood up to leave.

“And, on behalf of the National Defense Council, I would like to thank the Committee for giving us an opportunity to address your concerns.”

With that, the mare turned and left, accompanied by several associates and secretaries.

“Miss Twilight Sparkle, you're up to bat.”

'Okay, Twilight. You can do this.'

Twilight stood up and walked to one of the tables where she sat down.

-----

“Please state your name and profession for the record.”

“Uh, m-my name is Twilight Sparkle and I-I'm Princess Celestia's Personal Student.”

“Miss Sparkle, do you swear to testify honestly and without deceit before this committee under threat of perjury?”

'No.'

“I-I do.”

“The witness has been sworn in.”

Corn Subsidy spoke up.

“Miss Sparkle, there's no need to be nervous. We're simply investigating the changeling invasion—an invasion you were instrumental at stopping.”

'Easy for you to say.'

“W-What do you want to know?”

Corn Subsidy nodded to the other committee members to begin. Dodge Junction's MP was first.

“Miss Sparkle, you were the only one who was able to tell that Princess Cadance wasn't who she claimed. How were you able to determine this?”

“C-Cadance had always been a wonderful foalsitter for me, but when I saw 'her' again, not only did she not remember the little dance we used to do, but she was also far more aggressive and mean. I-In other words, her p-personality was different.”

“Very interesting. It seems that, even though the changeling queen was able to physically impersonate the Princess, she couldn't mimic her personality.” The MP furrowed his brow, “But, if she didn't act like the Princess, why were you the only one to discover this?”

“Both my friends, family, and Princess Celestia assumed it was because of the wedding—you know, pre-wedding jitters.”

Manehatten's MP butted in.

“Yes, having a wedding while the city is about to be attacked—and with the head of the Guard as the groom no less. We're well aware of the circumstances behind the attack and still can't believe that wedding was allowed to happen.”

Twilight wilted slightly and took a drink of water to steady her nerves.

The MP continued.

“This leads me to a different, but still interesting question. How much do you know about changeling magic?”

Twilight chocked on her water and hacked for a few moments.

“My goodness. Went down the wrong pipe?”

She smiled weakly.

“Y—ack—Yeah. T-To answer your question, I only know a little about the workings of their magic, such as its structure and energy dynamics.”

'They asked if I knew about it. Not if I used it. A-A-And I do only know a little. Enough to make a spell, but only a little. I-It's not perjury.'

Corn Subsidy was next.

“I'm not exactly surprised you know about changeling magic, but I was always under the impression that the changelings were relatively unknown.”

“O-Oh they are. I-I-I had gotten curious after the attack and had done a-a little research about them.”

The MP from Baltimare decided to go next.

“I'll be honest when I say that I'm not all that interested about you knowing changeling magic.” Twilight breathed a sigh of relief, “I'm more concerned about how Princess Celestia handled things, because from what I've heard, she didn't exactly do an impeccable job.”

Twilight flashed back to Celestia's scathing criticism of her.

“Pr-Princess Celestia was under a lot of stress. Not only did she have to keep watch throughout the day, handle Day Court, and raise and lower the sun, but she had a wedding to help with. While I was surprised that she dismissed my concerns, it's a little more understandable given what she had to do.”

Canterlot's MP interrupted.

“This is what I'm not getting though. Based on everything we know, the Princess possesses an enormous amount of magical strength and yet she was still beaten. I'm simply having a difficult time grasping that.”

“For one, the changeling queen was drunk off of my brother's love and so had a power boost. In addition, unleashing her full abilities in the middle of Canterlot and surrounded by some VIP's at the wedding would not have been pretty for anyone—changeling or pony.”

“I see.”

Los Pegasus' MP decided to have a go.

“While you were instrumental at helping to save the city by rescuing Princess Cadance, why did you and your friends fail to retrieve the Elements?”

“W-We were able to fight our way to the tower containing the Elements but, unfortunately, the changelings apparently already knew where the Elements were located and heavily fortified it. We can do a lot, but taking on several hundred changelings in dense quarters isn't one of them.”

“It's extremely troublesome that the changelings had that good of intelligence.”

“I'm not all that surprised, though. They need to have good intelligence to do their job.”

“That is true.”

Seeing no pony else talking, Corn Subsidy spoke.

“I do believe that just about covers everything we wanted to talk about, doesn't it? I'd like to break for lunch before we have Interim Captain Maneuver of the Royal Guard testify later today.”

Corn Subsidy glanced at his fellow committee members. They gave varying levels of confirmation ranging from grunts to nods.

'That's it?! I'm in the clear?! Yay. I can start researching alicorns and figure out how to fix this. Life will finally get back to norm—'

The brown Chairpony's eyes lit up in realization.

“Wait! There is one more thing.”

'Oh no.'

“As I'm sure you're aware, our ability to detect changeling magic is woefully underdeveloped.”

'Please. No.'

“Why, a changeling could quite easily get past the guards outside those doors. That's why developing an anti-changeling spell was placed as one of our top priorities.”

'Celestia. Luna. Discord! Anypony, please.'

“The professors at the Princess' School for Gifted Unicorns and doctors from the Health Institute of Equestria have recently completed it and wish to test it out before the Oversight and Reform Committee. We were going to have Admiral Flight Deck test it but a scheduling conflict has prevented her from being able to.”

'N-No! No no no no no no no no! T-This can't b-b-be h-happening!'

“So, I was wondering, could you take part in the first public demonstration of it?”

Twilight saw three unicorns walk up. One she recognized as the Dean of Magic from Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns.

'Say “no”. You have to say “no”. There's no other options. But they'll want to know why you'll say 'no', and you don't have an answer to that and then they'll find out you're lying and charge you with perjury andyou'llbelockedinthedungeonforCelestiaknowshowlong!'

“Um, Miss Sparkle?”

'No—but perjury! Dungeons! They'll find out. You have to say...'

“Uh—s-sure.”

'Ugh!'

“Fantastic.”

Corn Subsidy looked at the three unicorns.

“Please proceed with the demonstration.”

The three unicorns nodded before stepping forward. The Dean spoke.

“Miss Sparkle, if you'd be so kind as to step out and in front of us, we can demonstrate the new anti-changeling spell, which has been named the Ferrum Invado Spell.”

“Okay.”

Twilight slumped out of her chair and moved in front of the table.

The Dean looked up to Corn Subsidy.

“As Miss Sparkle is clearly not a changeling, we won't know the full effectiveness of the spell until we can test it on one. This demonstration is merely to show the spell's efficiency, how much power it requires, and it's effects on a non-changeling.”

He looked back to Twilight.

“Rest assured, Miss Sparkle, that the Health Institute of Equestria has already certified the spell as being one hundred percent safe. Begin.”

The two unicorns at the Dean's side charged their horns and fired at Twilight.

'I-I-I-It'll be okay. Everything will be fine.'

The purple unicorn winced as the Wing-be-gone and Ferrum Invado Spells clashed. The two unicorns, unprepared they'd have to actually test the spell's full abilities, furrowed their brows in concentration as they dumped more power into it. The Dean's face grew concerned as he too realized something more was going on. Corn Subsidy and the other committee members leaned forward eagerly, their attention glued to the unfolding scene.

'You can still make it through this. A-All you have to do is fight off that spell of theirs and then you can say that something's wrong with it. T-They'll believe you. You're the Princess's personal student. They have to believe you.'

Twilight's horn lit up as she poured power into the Wing-be-gone Spell to prevent it from collapsing under the strain of the other spell.

The Dean narrowed his eyes at Twilight's response.

“Miss Sparkle! I don't know why the Ferrum Invado Spell is having this reaction to you but you must stop whatever you're doing. Now!”

Jolted from the Dean of Magic giving her a command, Twilight's concentration faltered and the
Wing-be-gone Spell begin to buckle under the anti-changeling magic.

Twilight closed her eyes tightly as she felt it give.

'It's like Schrödingmare's Cat. If you don't see what's happening, there's a fifty percent chance it isn't happening.'

She felt the purple fire spread as the changeling spell completely failed.

'Just stay calm. Don't panic. Rarity's dress will—'

The fire quickly engulfed her dress, reducing it to nothing but tattered strands of cloth and ash that fell to the ground.

'Panic! Panic! Panic!'

The purple alicorn slumped to the ground while her wings involuntarily flared up in panic.

Startled gasps rang out from the audience. The Dean of Magic, his associates, and the Oversight Committee members stared with wide eyes and slack jaws.

Corn Subsidy found his voice.

“W-W-What's going on?!”

Twilight put her forehooves over her head.

'I'm doomed.'

Flash bulbs began going off in rapid succession as Equestria was introduced to its newest Princess.

End of Chapter Eleven.

Author's Note:

There. Now you can officially say that "shit has gotten real".

Two chapters at once?! And less then a week from the last update no less. Don't get too excited, as the next chapter is nothing more then exposition and has zero comedy in--and for once, I'm not just overly criticizing myself. That's the reason these chapters are together.

As promised, we've finally reached the point you've no doubt been waiting for since Twilight first talked to herself in chapter one--when things implode in on her.

Fun fact: I wrote the Schrödingmare joke back in chapter two and it's been sitting at the bottom of Ascend's Open Office document this whole time.

My war with indentation continues. It's really gonna suck when my non-existent OCD forces me to manually redo the indentation in these chapters (I still haven't done it for the last chapter).

For those growing weary of Twilight freaking out, don't worry. Now that her secret's out, most of her worrying is done. The rest of Equestria, on the other hand...