• Published 16th Oct 2012
  • 31,558 Views, 2,198 Comments

Ascend - xTSGx



Cheer up, Twilight. It's not every day somepony changes species. In fact, no pony has ever changed species. Or dealt with the results of that change.

  • ...
70
 2,198
 31,558

Illusions.

For copyright/disclaimer information, see Chapter One.

Version 1.1

Published 10/18/12

Chapter Two: Illusions.

'You'll figure something out Twilight. You're a smart mare. You—'

Twilight's attempts to console herself were interrupted by several knocks at the door.

“Twilight, what's going on? Why am I in the hallway?"

She sprang up in a heartbeat.

'It's Spike! Oh, what am I gonna do?! What am I gonna do?! No, no. Stay calm. Don't panic. He can't get in if—' the doorknob turned and the door began to open, 'you would have remembered to lock the door!'

Twilight began to flail around in desperation before hastily diving onto her bed and telekinetically wrapping the sheets and blankets around herself like a cocoon.

Spike walked in and immediately assessed the situation. The room was a mess. Books were scattered around the floor and Twilight was cowering on her bed.

He rubbed his eyes to make the oncoming headache subside.

“What's going on, Twilight?”

'Think, Twilight. Think, think, think, think, think, think!'

“Uh, nothing's going on Spike. Nothing at all.”

Twilight winced.

'The great orator, Twilight Sparkle, mares and gentlecolts.'

Spike raised an eyebrow.

“Really? The last time 'nothing was going on' you accidentally changed Derpy's voice.”

“Hey! I fixed it.”

'Besides, it made everypony realize just how good of a voice she has.'

Spike continued on.

“Or the time before that, when you made the Princess's fur turn pink.”

Twilight blushed.

“I thought everypony involved agreed never to bring that up.”

'She made a fortune off of the toy line anyway!'

Spike gave a smug look.

“Well I'm not a pony so—”

“Do you really want to debate syntax with me, Spike?”

“No, I want to know why you're bundled up like that when it's still summer.”

'Stupid Twilight. Stupid. Why did you have to bring him back to that?'

Twilight decided to go with the simplest answer.

“I'm cold.”

Spike stared at her.

“Then why are you sweating?”

'Because you're about to uncover my secret, plunging me into the horrors of government and probably causing the very foundation of pony civilization to colla—stop it. Bad Twilight. Calmness, breezes, ocean waves, the complete One Hundred and Eighty Six Volume Encyclopedia Equestria. Ah, much better.'

“Because—uh—ah—eh...”

Too distracted trying to think up a reasonable, or unreasonable, excuse, Twilight failed to notice Spike approaching her.

“Whatever's going on, all you have to remember is that you have your friends to lean on.”

He moved his hand toward her to offer a comforting touch. It had the opposite reaction to what he wanted.

What're you doing!?

Twilight frantically attempted to move away from Spike. Unfortunately, she moved right off the side of her bed and fell to the floor in a crumpled pile. Several of her feathers were dislodged and kicked into the air on impact.

“Ouch.”

Spike reached down and picked one up.

“Twilight, what's this?”

'Lie. Lie like your life depended on it. Mostly because it does!'

“W-well, yo-you see, Spike.”

Twilight tried to stand up. Luck just wasn't on her side, however, as the linens got caught under her hoof and were dragged off her body.

She whimpered as Spike's eyes widened in shock.

“Ah. Well. That would explain why you're acting like you just committed treason.”

All Twilight heard was “you just committed treason”. She reacted accordingly, scooting herself into the corner of her room, wings erect, eyes wide with fear.

“Spike! You can't tell anyone! It-It's not high t-treason, i-it's just l-low treason. The Princesses won't mind.”

She gulped.

'Of course they'll mind! You want to know what happened to the last pony that committed treason? First they...'

Quickly realizing he had made a bad situation worse, Spike tried to defuse the growing-manic-by-the-second-unicorn. He began waving his hands calmly.

“No, no, no, Twilight! You didn't commit treason of any height! There's no reason to be scared. You've just gotta calm down. Relax. Then we can sort this all out. ”

'...after the boiling oil cooled, they took his horn and shoved—wait! Spike's right. Stay calm. Don't panic. You're letting those spiraling thoughts get to you again. What did I tell you about those?'

Shaking her head to clear out the last of the panic, Twilight took a deep breath.

“See, Twilight? You overreact way too much.”

'Says the dragon who won't cause the Second Equestrian Civil W—Stop! Calm. Peace. Books.'

“Now why don't I go make us some tea and you can tell me everything that's happened?”

Twilight's mood greatly improved. She smiled.

“What would I do without my Number One Assistant?”

As he left, Spike turned to Twilight.

“Descend into insanity at the slightest provoking, causing the Princesses to seal off Ponyville and form the Ponyville Exclusion Zone.”

Twilight stared at him.

“What? I've put a lot of thought into that question.”

With that, he left to make the tea.

***************

The two of them sat on the couch in the main room of the library. Twilight had ensured the library's sign was marked “Closed” and had locked the door and drawn all the curtains just to be sure no pony would barge in and expose her secret. A tea set lay on the coffee table in front of them. Spike held his tea cup and plate with his hands while Twilight, obviously, used her magic.

“So what happened?”

“I don't know.”

“Are you all superpowered now?”

“I don't know.”

“Well, how did you get the wings?”

“I told you Spike! I don't know!

The teacups rattled on their plates.

“How can you not know? I would think you would remember how you became an alicorn.”

“All I know is that, after I finished chapter seven of A Troper's Guide To: Clichés, I went to sleep and woke up with a pair of wings.”

Spike gave Twilight a look.

“Chapter seven? You were on the Foreword when I went to bed, and that was at ten. How late did you stay up?”

“That isn't a baby dragon's concern.”

“So after midnight then.”

Twilight returned Spike's look before she looked down and sighed.

“They warned me it would ruin my life. I just didn't realize how badly ruined it would be.”

Spike gave her a hug.

“Don't worry Twilight. Remember what I said, you have your friends and the Princesses to—”

Twilight's wings flared up, knocking Spike away.

No! No one can know about this, Spike. No one!”

Spike picked himself up and sat back down next to her.

“C'mon Twilight. Not telling them is just about the worst thing you can do. It's already slowly driving you crazy.”

“No Spike. They don't need to find out about this!”

“Have you thought about how you're going to hide it? It's not like you can have Rarity make you a jacket or—”

Twilight suddenly got an idea.

“You're right, Spike. Clothing wouldn't work at all.”

“Finally, she sees the lig—”

“Which is why magic will be my savior. As it always is.”

Spike facepalmed as Twilight ran up the stairs to her bedroom.

“This is going to end horribly.” he muttered.

Seconds later, Twilight teleported back down. An open book in her hoof. She shoved it at Spike.

Anomalous Abnormalities of Anatomy, Chapter Ten: Reasons and Solutions for Becoming a Changeling. Twilight...what are you doing?”

“Don't you see, Spike? All I have to do is read this chapter and reverse engineer a changeling illusion spell.”

“Yup. End horribly.”

***************

A few hours of boring studying, magibabble, and a delicious brunch of hay sandwiches and (Simulated) Chicken Noodle Soup later, Twilight was ready to try her new Wing-be-gone Spell. She and Spike were in the main room once more. Spike sat on the couch while Twilight stood in front of it.

“I still think 'Wing-be-gone' is a sucky name.”

“Shut it, Spike. We went through this.”

A sudden thought crossed Spike's mind.

“You would think somepony would notice the library's still closed and come to see what's going on.”

Twilight gave a light laugh.

“Do you think anypony actually comes to this library spontaneously? I'm the only one that reads any of these books. And the best part is, I don't have to pay a single bit.”

“But isn't that a gross violation of Section Nine of the Equestrian Civic Code?”

Twilight stared at Spike.

“What if I want to become a lawyer one day? I gotta keep my options open.”

“Enough distractions Spike, let's get this test underway.”

“Shouldn't you, like, test it out on some rats or something first?”

Twilight chuckled and patted Spike on the head.

“Why do that when live pony testing yields so much more data?”

Spike shuddered. It was at times like these that he was glad Twilight wasn't a mad scientist.

Twilight's horn began to glow a sparkly purple.

“Now, if my calculations are right, all I have to do is amplify the mana field and transmogrify the...”

Spike tuned out what Twilight said when she was speaking “magic” and instead focused his attention on her horn, which was increasing in its glow. Suddenly, a purple flame erupted from it and rapidly engulfed Twilight's body. A moment later, the flame dissipated, and Twilight was perfectly fine. Her wings noticeably absent.

“...and done.”

Twilight glanced at her back and smiled brightly.

“Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! It worked!”

'This nightmare's finally over.'

Spike quickly retrieved a checklist from a nearby drawer.

“And not a moment too soon. You've got things to do.”

Twilight gasped.

“My day's checklist. I completely forgot.”

'Changing species tends to do that.'

“I'm so far behind! ByeSpikeseeyou laterthanksfor helping!”

With that, Twilight hastily unlocked the door and rushed out.

Spike sighed as he sat down and began cleaning up the area.

“The sooner everything implodes, the better off Twilight will be.”

End of Chapter Two.