• Published 16th Oct 2012
  • 3,389 Views, 217 Comments

Twilight Vs. Technology - ChainReaction



Twilight Sparkle. Bearer of the Element of Magic and personal student of Princess Celestia herself h

  • ...
2
 217
 3,389

Twilight Vs. The Anemometer

She looked up at the large billboard with a nervous glance.

"I REALLY hope this works this time..." Twilight spoke.

The object she was instructed to buy for Rainbow Dash sat on the library floor. It was an oversized anemometer. It had four metal blades and rotated in a clockwise motion. The fan-like action was used to judge the pressure of wind and the speed of objects that caused said wind, making it very useful as a common weather station instrument. This particular model was used to determine the wing power on various pegasi throughout Ponyville. Twilight had found the instructions to the anemometer and superimposed them onto a large billboard in her living room.

"Okay, better run over these one more time," she told herself to rebuild some of the confidence she had earlier this morning, when she actually bought the machine. She started at the top of the billboard and began to read,

"The Anemometer, version number forty-nine thousand, five-hundred and eighty three."

Her eyes drifted down past the large inked diagram of the device and to the smaller, printed paragraph below it.

"The other forms of mechanical velocity anemometer may be described as belonging to the windmill type or propeller anemometer. In the Robinson anemometer the axis of rotation is vertical, but with this sub-division oh my gosh, this is so boring even I'm about to fall asleep," Twilight drawled out. She shook her head whilst having her flank planted firmly on the library floor, to try and wake herself up. She turned towards the device on the ground and hardened her stare at the device.

"Let's get something straight right now. I don't care if you are an inanimate object; I will buck you into next week if you decide to act up on me like all my other stuff did. Understood?!" she asked the fan a little louder than necessary. At her statement, the blades of the fan lightly turned and gave a quiet squeaking sound.

Her eye twitched.

"I'm threatening an inanimate object..." she spoke.

'Does that make me craaaaazaaaaay? Does that make me craaaaazaaay?' the classic Sapphire Shores song rang in Twilight's head.

She giggled.

"I'm not crazy. I'm just determined! Yep...just determined...not crazy whatsoever," she spoke before smiling ear to ear.

She sat comfortably in front of the fan and sighed.

"You can do this, Twilight. You can reverse gravity and teleport for pony's sake! You can handle a little fan," Twilight assured herself. "Now, I need to concentrate."

She gripped the pressure knobs lightly with a levitation spell and adjusted them to as low as they could possibly go.

"Find the right adjustment to make," she said while concentrating all her effort into making sure things would go smoothly with the brand new anemometer. A twist here and a pull there, and the knobs were adjusted for the lightest breeze possible. Twilight game herself a satisfied smile.

"See? Nothing to worry about at all!" she spoke happily. Twilight leaned her head down slightly, that way her horn was mere inches away from the fan. "Now, to conjure a gentle breeze..."

Her horn began to glow a faint violet aura and push forth the tiniest gust of wind, seeming to manifest itself from the very depths of the still air around Twilight. She focused her spell and swirled the gust into a steady stream, before pointing it towards the fan. The front of her mane began to blow slightly as the blades of the fan turned clockwise. The dial began to move upward slowly. After only a brief moment, the fan was in full rotation and blowing wind forwards, pushing Twilight's mane backwards.

"Wait..." Twilight spoke, noticing something about the fan was slightly off.

Even though the fan was in full rotation and moving pretty fast, the fan itself was wobbling. Twilight squinted to look inside of the fan that was just about as tall as her, hoping she would find what was wrong with it. Her large, purple eyes saw one band moving faster than the other on left side of the blades.

'One of the cogs is moving too fast!' she thought to herself.

She tempered her spell, condensing it slowly to be tighter on the left side of the breeze and to even the cogs of the device out.

'C'mon Twi...You can fix it.' she encouraged herself to the best of her abilities, while remaining focused.

The fan began to rumble even more than it was before. Twilight still didn't give up and continued to conjure with fierce determination.

"Just...got to...focus..."

After a while, the spell built and got faster and faster during her attempt to balance both sides.

Whoooosh, Crack!

Twilight's eyes shot open and she let go of her spell as she looked towards her door with a fearful expression.

She had made the gust of wind too powerful and the anemometer took off, smashing through the library door and shooting across the streets of Ponyville like a bat out of Tartarus.

Twilight pushed her bottom lip out and poked at the library floor with her hoof. She let out a long a lengthy sigh before speaking,

"Back to the drawing board..."

Miles away, a white alicorn watched her through a telescope and laughed uncontrollably for quite a while, before taking a bite out of a slice of royal chocolate cake that was decadent enough for a Princess.


"Man, I am really glad that Redheart is allowing me to have all the X-Rays for free. I don't think we could afford all the medical bills," the purple drake spoke to himself with exasperation. Spike had it rough these past few weeks with his sister repeatedly failing at every single new thing she tried.

Spike's eyebrows shot up at hearing a whistling noise through the air. By now, his instincts told him to duck.

Which is exactly what he did.

Spike ducked to the ground and opened his eyes to look around. He caught a glance of something in the distance flying across the ground. It got closer and closer with every passing moment.

Spike's body began to tremble.

"Oh n-"

POW!

"Ow!" Spike wailed and fell back on the ground when the anemometer slammed into his nose. He started to see stars above his head.

"My face...I can't even feel my face..."












"Dammit, Twilight..."

Comments ( 16 )

Aaaaand it's up. :derpytongue2: Hope you enjoyed it, even though this one was a tad bit tricky to pull of due to having such a short amount of content. But hey! I think I improve'd pretty well! :pinkiehappy:

I CAME EVERYWHERE!!!!
[Inapropriate FlimFlam comment]


Did all of this happen because of trollestia? If so then good for her! This was another great chapter and so glad to see Spike get hit in the head again. Imgaine if the next piece of tech was like a 70' inch TV or a washing machine?

1818867 Oh you. :trollestia: Actually, it's a smoke alarm I believe. The next comic involves a smoke alarm.

1818874 Oh dear god of Celestia....:pinkiegasp:

Hey, crazy people made great strides in the field of science. Its homicidally (equestricidally?) crazy that is big no-no.

Riding On The Wind - Judas Priest

too powerful instead of to powerful....i found that one error but funny as ever bro:pinkiehappy:

Ahahahahaaaa. The moment wind was mentioned I knew Spike would be in trouble.
But that's :forsure: now anyway.

1819060

!! \m/ \m/ !!

1822442 That was quite possibly the most provocative, well thought out comment I've ever read in my life... :rainbowderp:

Glad I enlightened your day. :derpytongue2:
It was funny though and they are getting funnier. However poor Spike needs to invest in a football helmet.

1822517 You'd think so, wouldn't you?...You just gave me an idea. :raritywink:

1822528
And may Celestia have mercy on spike's poor soul. And head.

FAIL!!!!:yay: Poor Spike, at the end of this story is going to be killed and Twilight's still not going to learn how to work the tech, she might as well just stay with matches and torches:rainbowlaugh:

Spike has the worst luck of anyone I've ever seen.:rainbowlaugh:

Does Spike have to slap a filly before she stops trying to kill him?

Quite an interesting tale. Most excellent.

Login or register to comment