• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 1,050 Views, 14 Comments

The Writer and Their Quill - Writey the writer



My name is Princess Celestia, and this is a story of how I became mortal.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,050

Ashes to Ashes

The Writer and Their Quill

Chapter 5: Ashes to Ashes

The procession was small. Only friends and family were attending. Luna and I gave a few words, but we weren’t to stand out above the rest. This was Twilight’s day.

It was a day that I had wrote, and despite what Luna has said to console me, I knew that it was I that put my friend into that box. They don’t know it was me, they don’t know what we can see, but they may as well know.

I might actually prefer it that way. Then they would have something to blame, so that this tragic ‘accident’ was real to them; so that they didn’t feel as helpless. A face to a murder is kindness. A death by accident is tragic.

Instead, I shall live with my burden. I’ll let it eat away at me. I’ll let my psyche slowly crack and collapse. It should have been me in that box.

I can’t do anything. I’m powerless. Helpless. Weak.

The service finished, and they left. I nodded solemnly to each as they passed. They wore expressions of sadness as expected. Some of them even seemed angry, although they will never know what at.

Her mother and father were the last to leave. They still stood over the grave. The fresh loamy soil was still upturned. I stood beside them. Her mother was crying.

She looked to me through cloudy eyes.

“Is there anything anypony could have done to stop this?” she asked, though tears.

I just stared. Nothing I could say could put this right.

“No,” I said gravely.

She nodded. “Thank you, Princess. You meant so much to our Twilight.”

Her husband placed a hoof over her shoulder and they walked out.

I approached the premature grave which I put had put her in.

I wrote this world into existence; I am the writer of her death. My interference killed her.

Let no others fall at my selfishness. I am only a statue. Only a figure. I am not immortal; I am a writer, and this forsaken world is my bloodied quill.

Comments ( 11 )

Well, that was a much needed break from the happy. This was great.

There's some artwork I haven't seen in a while

That was beautiful. When I read this I felt a tear or two slide down my face. This story needs to be recognized, and I think it was written wonderfully well.

1675605
Thanks, I had fun writing it. As for the recognition, little can be done. Generally I can't self advertise in groups due to it being frowned upon, and without a moderate group of followers the story won't be viewed/liked/commented as much so won't make the feature spot.

Comment posted by DerpysLegion deleted Dec 14th, 2012

Hey whoever wrote this I want you to know something. I don't know why I feel compelled to write this. I don't like fanfiction. Usually they seem poorly written, full of awkward fanboy content, and I feel childish reading them (as much as a can brony that is) I haven't even read my little dashie. You may have changed my mind. It takes a lot to make me cry. A lot!!! Without going into my lifestory, I'll just say I have had more encounters with death then nearly everyone my age. I have learned to repress pain a little to well! And this simple fanfic made me cry! I don't think any book has made me cry before, you my friend have a gift. Well Done keep doin what you do

1797932
Thank you. This is probably the best praise I've ever received for my writing. I will continue what I am doing, thanks again.

Your welcome, I was quite impressed

2189590
Why thank you. I mimicked the style of an earlier story (That Last Breath) and played out the scenario. Thanks again for the read :pinkiehappy:

Wow...this was...unexpected in some ways. I loved it, I'm moved. Celestia tried to interfer death and it was just this which has determinated the event. Poor Celestia, she couldn't know that. So, if Twilight had taken that train? ...Who knows.
Very good job.

Login or register to comment