• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 1,050 Views, 14 Comments

The Writer and Their Quill - Writey the writer



My name is Princess Celestia, and this is a story of how I became mortal.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,050

Body to Earth

The Writer and Their Quill

Chapter 4: Body to Earth

Morning came.

I raised the sun much to my disdain. My raising of the sun marked the day she would die. It felt as if I was making her die in some ways. I would raise the sun and she would die in two hours. I just wish I’d kept my ignorance.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and levitated my crown to rest on my head. I looked over toward Twilight. From amongst the books her unmade bed still assumed a dip from where she had slept, but she was not in it.

I hadn’t been woken by her stirring, which was usual, I found. Maybe she left early. If she had, then I would miss the painful goodbye. Although it would be easier to miss it, I would far prefer it as a final farewell than a departure without an acknowledged receipt.

She wouldn’t have left, however. My student is kind, grateful, and many other things, but not disrespectful. It would go against her every propensity to leave without a goodbye.

I opened the other shutters of my chamber. My orange light poured in and filled me with warmth.

My sun rose over the roofs of the distant buildings. Those of grandeur seemed forced, too showy for my liking. Had I been given an opinion, then they would be made to suit the theme of old Canterlot.

I’m little more than a figure to this city, however. I’m a symbol of older days. I’m fountain of knowledge to some, but knowledge simply without purpose.

My thoughts dropped when a voice rang through the halls. “Princ—Celestia?” said Twilight from behind me.

I swallow my hollow worry with a bitter aftertaste. I turned to face her and I tried to force a smile. “Good morning, Twilight,” I said without any satisfaction.

She smiled back. “Morning, Celestia. I was wondering if we could have breakfast together, at the café down the road,” she said.

“I’d like that,” I said. I followed her downstairs.

We entered a waiting cart and drove the short distance down the road.Through the window, I could see that the café was deserted. A cross-eyed owner with a sea-blue mane leaned upon the counter. He wiped the counter top with a stained, damp cloth. One eye rested on the doorway, the other down to the counter.

Twilight pushed the door open. A small bell jingled atop the door causing the owner to raise his head.

“Good heavens, Princess,” he said abruptly. He dropped the cloth and made his way round the counter. “And company? Please, please, sit, sit.” He pulled out two chairs beside the window.

“One tea, please and a…”

“Tea, also,” said Twilight.

He nodded and turned. “Two teas, at the double, y-your highness,” he announced to the empty café.

Twilight stifled a laugh, and I joined her with a wry smile. We sat silently for a moment. “Why did you choose to come here?” I asked.

She shrugged. “I came here often as a filly,” she said slowly. Her eyes settled out of the window. “My father took me here, every so often.”

I nodded. “I see.” I followed her gaze to the storm clouds gathering on the crest of the furthest houses. “Bad weather is looming.” She looked toward me, puzzled.

“I’m sure the Pegasi are making it rain for good reasons,” she said.

I nodded. “Yes, I suppose you’re right.”

I jumped slightly as a tray landed with a clatter on the floor beside us. The teapot cracked and spilled its contents out upon the floor.

“Oh dear, oh dear,” said the stallion flustered. “I’m sorry, your highness, quite very sorry.” He bent down to pick up the pieces.

“Allow me,” I said smiling. I surrounded the teapot in magic and fused the cracked porcelain together.

The stallion stood shaking. “You’ve saved me a teapot,” he said.He returned a moment later with a new brew in his grasp. “It’s on the house, your highness.” He said with one eye on me, smiling. I smiled back awkwardly.

He brought across two cups and an assortment of sugars, sweeteners and small tubs of milk. Twilight smiled as he turned back to the counter.

“Princess?” said Twilight, leaning upon the table. I raised my head. “Is there something wrong?” she asked.

I stared blankly at her for a moment. There was so much wrong. So many blind evils which could never see their destructive tendency and Twilight was sitting right in the middle of them.

“Why do you ask?” I replied without looking at her.

She hesitated for a moment. “I’m not sure.” She leaned back in her chair with her cup in her hoof. “It might just be me.”

I took a sip of my tea. “Well I’m fine, trust me.”

She nodded but didn’t seem convinced. I took another sip of my tea.

* * *

The driver put her saddle bag in the compartment behind the chariot. He opened the door to allow myself and Twilight to step in.

We spoke little on the ride to the station. We made promises to meet again next month, and despite what I knew, I made the promise regardless. She tried once again to pry my discomfort from me, but I shrugged off her concern.

We got out from the carriage. Twilight slung her saddle across herself and tightened it.

“Would you like me to wait, your highness?” the driver asked politely.

“I would like that.”

I turned to follow Twilight into the station.

It was more crowded than last time. A line selling tickets queued against the back wall. Twilight’s train was already here. She approached it and stood halfway on. She turned back to me. Her smile was so beautiful.

“Are you sure that there was nothing wrong?” she asked.

* * *

How much I wanted to tell her.

So many things were yet to be done.

She was yet to meet a stallion.

To marry here in Canterlot.

To bear her own children whom I would love as my own.
But no. All of that would never be. It was written that she would die today.

But I couldn’t allow it. Let it be on my head that things have changed. On my head will this fall.
I am the writer. This world is my quill. I will do what I can to make it better. I’m not just a figure, not just a statue. I am the immortal ruler of this world, and I will write my world anew.

* * *

“Last call for the Ponyville-bound train. Last call.”

“Celestia? Is anything wrong?”

I stood a step back and thought for a moment.

“Yes there is. Twilight, I need you to do something,” I said quickly.

She took a second before looking shocked. “Celestia the train leaves in-“

I took a breath. “Twilight, there is no time, ponies might die.” She looked puzzled but trusted in me. She nodded. “Go to the waiting chariot, tell him to take you straight back to the palace, no questions, get back quick as you can.”

She nodded again. “Yes…Celestia,” she said, a tone of fear was notable in her voice. She galloped off toward the chariot. The train pulled away just as she left. She was such a good student. Later, I would tell her all of it, of seeing deaths, of how close I came to letting her down. I’d tell her that I know of my place in this world. But for now lives may be at stake, and I have to protect my people whether they care for me or not.

I extended my wings and ran out onto the platform. It must have been a sight to see as I took off to reach the front of the train. I hadn’t flown in months and my wings felt stiff and groggy, but I still had enough power to reach the front before it got too far away.

The train was fast. I should know, I asked for them to be upgraded so they ran quicker, but I was faster. I’m an Alicorn, I have the speed of a Pegasus. I surged forward through the air with several powerful strokes of my wings. I reached the front of the train and landed with a great thump behind the cabin.

I opened the door and a surprised engineer sat with a shovel in one hoof.

“Stop the train,” I commanded. He nodded through a look of panic and quickly pulled the override level beside the engine. The breaks stuttered for a moment and seemed to have no effect for the first seconds. He pushed harder and the break hit the wheel making a terrible screeching as the train ground to a halt.

He sighed and wiped a hoof over his brow. “So,” he said with a heavy breath, “what’s the problem?”

I opened my mouth to speak, but no sound came. My mind froze as a foreign thought ran through me . The voice was familiar, but it was so immediate that I couldn’t help but be paralysed by it.

“Celestia!” shouted my sister. Her voice rang in my mind. “Come quick, sister!”

Her voice was afraid. I could feel her emotion implanted in me.

The engineer looked at me, confused. “Princess?”

I didn’t answer. I ran out the cabin and unfurled my wings as fast as possible.

* * *

I flew.

I don’t know how long I flew, or how far, or how fast.

It was all a blur.

My terror built up in me. Each gust of wind seemed to be pushing me back and I struggled to push through. I felt like I was battling the storm. The bad weather was punishing me for my actions.

I threw myself harder toward home. I pushed all my strength into getting there. Into reaching whatever terror I knew awaited me.

But, then again, I already knew what I was flying toward.

I flew above the main street where I spotted Luna. I descended and saw the chaos. I saw the upturned chariot. I saw a gathering crowd. I landed beside my sister. She was crying.

“Celestia, we couldn’t do anything,” she said through tears.

“No,” I said shaking my head.

“She was too hurt, we tried but-“

I ran past her. I didn’t need to hear it. I ran through the crowd and stopped dead. The driver was pressed against a wall. A stallion placed a mask over his face which fogged up quickly with his fast breath.

He never broke his stare toward me. One eye was swollen up and the other looked dead. I looked away to try and see my student, alive and well running from the crowd with only minor scratches and injuries.

I glanced back and forth until my eyes landed upon her. I ran quickly toward her. Two guards held me back.

“I’m sorry, Princess, nothing can be done,” one of them said. They both held me back.

“We can’t let you past,” said the other.

I frowned and teleported passed them. A mare in white stood near my student. “I’m sorry, Princess.”

I knelt down beside her. A long cut ran across her eye down to her jaw, droplets of ichor seeped from the deep wound spoiling her perfect, beautiful face.

Her forehoof was crumpled at an impossible angle. I tried to highlight her time left, but nothing showed. The timer was blank. The ghostly letters ticking away her last seconds didn’t show. She was gone.

“No.”

“I’m sorry, Celestia,” Luna said. She placed a hoof around me. I stared blankly down to the earth, shaking. Rain began to fall into the dust, making dark crescents. Tears mixed with the rain and ran down my cheeks. My breaths quivered.

“She’s gone,” I said aloud.

She embraced me fully. “I’m so sorry.”

* * *