• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 1,054 Views, 14 Comments

The Writer and Their Quill - Writey the writer



My name is Princess Celestia, and this is a story of how I became mortal.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,054

Paper to Earth

The Writer And Their Quill

Chapter 2: Paper to Earth


Today’s the day. The day which I have been looking forward to all week. Today is the first day of my non-working week: no more politics, no more grand introductions, just plain, simple times ahead.

My week had dragged on. But, at the end, I know that I’ve got nothing on my plate. Today and tomorrow are all for myself; I can do whatever I like and not be told otherwise.

I’m rather excited.

I tried to contain a grin as I walked, but it was difficult. I wasn’t normally this happy for a work-free weekend, as I am free for most weekends for that matter. However, this one was special, and one certain pony made it special. Today was Twilight’s day.

I could feel a small, giddy rush of excitement quicken my pace as I thought of the fun we would have. In the east-wing of my library, the librarian had encountered a previously unopened chest filled with old, unsorted, unread books.

I was looking forward to the task of reading and sorting through their dusty pages, but there was one pony who, I knew, would enjoy it perhaps even more than me. Yesterday, I sent the invitation for spending the weekend with me, and the positive reply came back swiftly.

She was due to arrive in one hour by train from Ponyville. Although I had no exact plans of what we were to do besides reading and sorting, but I knew she would have some idea of where she would like to spend some time.

I skipped a step and turned into a longer corridor of my palace. I descended a short stack of stairs and continued down the corridor.

She would leave tomorrow, just after midday; I hoped she would have enough time to have breakfast with me before she departed. .

The librarian appeared at the end of the corridor. He towed a small cart behind him which was piled high with the ancient books for our evening. I smiled to him as I passed.

“Good morn, Princess,” he said with much effort. His face was strained through the workload and his brow sprinkled with diamonds of perspiration. He seemed frail and older than I I’d ever seen him.

I quickly assessed his age: thirty five years left, enough for twenty of useful service. I smiled. “Good morning, Bluepage,” I said in a tone more excited than welcoming.

He quickly grinned back and gave a quick bow of his head before trundling off again down the corridor. His corded pen clinked against the back of his leg as he walked.

I turned in the corridor into the flight of stairs leading to the palace doors of the west-wing. As I reached the bottom, a shout came down the stairs from above.

“Celestia,” called a familiar voice. I spun to face my sister. She leaned casually over the banister with a steaming mug levitating beside her.

“Good morning, Luna,” I called up to her.

“Good morn to you too. You raised the sun earlier than usual, sister,” she said, taking a sip from her mug.

“I had no idea. I was up rather early admittedly,” I said.

She smiled. She must have known why.

“Go greet her then,” she said. She took another sip of her drink. “Her train will arrive late.”

I didn’t question how she knew this, but I could give credence to it. I turned and made my way out the door.

* * *

I could feel myself swaying gently. If my excitement wasn’t already apparent to the other ponies around me, I may have been rather concerned about the number of questioning glances sent my way. I caught a few stares and stray looks. It becomes easy to forget that I’m a public figure.

I glanced up at the clock and to the horizon.Twilight's train was due four minutes ago. I had already organised the day in a neat schedule, and this delay would account for a few changes, namely pushing all events back by maybe up to ten minutes.

I didn’t let it get to me. Today was Twilight’s day. We could do whatever she wanted regardless of my list.

Silver-crested clouds rose from over the top of the mountain. I smiled. Shortly after, the train rumbled around the corner and the silver trail of smoke left streaks climbing into the sky.

“It’s about time!” called a stallion’s voice from the crowd of passengers.

I made my way to the back of the platform to allow room for the passengers to step off. The train trundled in moments later and many grumpy-morning passengers climbed off.

From among the sleepy yawns and slow-moving crowds, a familiar violet face caught my eye. Her wide smile stood out vibrantly in the dull crowd. She made her way through the crowd toward me.

* * *

“So, what do you want to do before we hit the books?” I asked. The carriage hit a bump in the road as I finished.

She turned from her window to face me.“I’m not sure,” she said. Her eyes hovered on me for a moment as she thought. “We could go to Joe’s. I haven’t been there in months. If that’s alright, Princess.”

“We may do whatever you wish, this is your day Twilight. Call me Celestia when we’re alone,” I said. “I couldn’t have a friend addressing me fully in our studying together.”

She nodded and then smiled for a moment. “Of course…Celestia,” she said, although it seemed more forced than I’d have liked.

“I’m sorry for my lateness,” she said blushing. I knew how much she liked being on time with all things. “The train had a mechanical malfunction; we could have nearly crashed at one point after the engineer couldn’t slow it down.”

“Oh, I’ll request it to be fixed before your departure tomorrow, although you are welcome to stay longer, if you’d like?” I said, fishing for a response.

She shook her head. “Applejack has requested my assistance on the farm, and I have already obliged to spend time with her,” she said.

“Very well.”

The carriage trundled onward around another two blocks before I spoke up again. I was expecting her to make some conversation.

“Is there anything you’d like to do after we visit Joe’s?” I asked without looking at her.

“I’m not sure,” she said yawning. “We could just start work after then.”

A gave her a questioning glance. “Why do want to retire so early? Today is your day Twilight.”

She yawned again. “I’ve just been feeling rather tired lately.”

* * *

I’m not even sure why I checked.

It was a horrible thought to even consider, but out of habit I checked. I always check when somepony says something like that.

26 hours.

I thought I’d misread.

I took a second and third glance at it.

26 hours.

I frowned and looked for an error.

26 hours.

She continued to stare at me. Oblivious to my terror building inside.

26 hours.

She was talking, but I couldn’t hear her. I could only feel the gentle bump of the carriage, and I could only see the faded grey digits hovering like ghosts above her head.

26 hours.

My student, my friend, Twilight Sparkle, was destined to die soon.

Only twenty six hours.

* * *