• Published 27th Dec 2023
  • 191 Views, 2 Comments

In Time To Reunite - GrangeDisplay



To show how much she appreciates her older sister, Apple Bloom seeks to get Applejack the perfect Hearth's Warming gift by any means necessary.

  • ...
0
 2
 191

For Family is Always Near

“Hearth's Warming is one of those times of year that brings out very…let's say, strong emotions in ponies and creatures. I won’t lie, am I proud of everything I did here today? No, no, I am not. But are there some things that I am not, not proud of? That is a ques-”

“C’mon, Apple Bloom, quit it!” Applejack snapped as she massaged her temple, it was late, cold, and her joints were aching. “Stop trying to talk circles around me and get to the point. What happened?”

Apple Bloom was unsurprised by the outburst, but still disappointed in how quickly it came. She had hoped that she could buy them more time. She scratched her chin and laughed nervously.

After all, it wasn’t every day that one had to pick their little sister up from jail.

“Well, I figure, I was just trying to get my wonderful big sister a Hearth's Warming gift.”

“Is that right?” Applejack muttered sardonically.

“Well, yes! It’s just that getting this particular gift proved to be more… more challenging than expected.”

“Then why not just get something else?”

“It’s complicated,” Apple Bloom admitted with a sigh, she sat back to get comfortable. “But, I’ll tell you what I told Scoots and Sweetie when we went to pick it up at the market…”


“Because I NEED it!” Apple Bloom shouted as she wove in and out of the marketplace.

Hot on her hooves were Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, who weren’t exactly caught up on what was happening, but were ready to support in any way they could. It had been a few moons since the three had seen each other face to face, making it the longest time they had ever been apart.

Sweetie Belle had taken up an apprenticeship in Manehattan, teaching singing classes at a local performing arts program. Scootaloo had been spending time with her folks out in the Forbidden Jungle, living out the types of adventures one could read about in Daring Doo novels. It was a new experience for the young adults, but their recent reunion was proving to be a smooth transition back into their friendship.

As for Apple Bloom, the young farmer had stayed in Ponyville, and it showed. She maneuvered through the chaotic streets with ease. Since it was Hearth's Warming Eve, the marketplace had become ground zero for last-minute shoppers. The citizens of Ponyville moved in a frenzy as flurries of snow fell from above.

Sweetie yelled into the madness, “Apple Bloom! It’s…it’s…uh getting a bit hectic out here. Are you sure we can’t come up with something else?”

“I’m afraid not! This is the perfect present for Applejack, and not just because I’m completely out of time. Once we pick this up, we can head back to Sweet Apple Acres and get ready for Pipsqueak’s party.”

It was a common sentiment among the lost souls at this eleventh hour; the promise that they could do it all if everything went exactly to plan. They simply had to complete this last errand before heading to a get-together with their former classmates at Pipsqueak’s house. It was a small task that shouldn’t take too long to undertake.

Unfortunately, thinking like this produced an inescapable tinge of desperation and bitterness in the air, as creatures betrayed their friends and neighbors for a fraction of holiday glory. And like a beacon of light on the darkest of night, there stood Clever Clerk’s Stall of Miscellaneous Marvels. It was positioned where it always was, with relatively no traffic.

Apple Bloom rushed to the stand, tapping her hoof impatiently against its wooden surface to get Clerk’s attention. Clever Clerk, a griffon with a low tolerance for tomfoolery, looked at her with disinterest as he grabbed what he assumed she wanted.

He placed it on the table morosely, and Apple Bloom was pleased to see the object of her desire. It was a deluxe edition of Shaneigha Mane’s 20th anniversary vinyl. The young farmer squealed in excitement at the reveal.

Scootaloo came closer to get a look at the commotion. “Woah, I heard those things sold out everywhere! How’d you know he’d have it?”

“Simple. The last time Pinkie visited Sugarcube Corner, she told me that her fourth thoracic vertebra was feeling ‘jiggly.’ Which always means that Clever Clerk is coming through with a last-minute restock,” Apple Bloom explained matter-of-factly.

It was the best possible outcome, a circumstance born of impeccable luck. She raced to grab it, her heart filling with joy as her long, arduous quest came to an end. But, instead of her hoof meeting the sleek cardboard cover, she collided with another hoof and immediately recoiled in shock. Apple Bloom’s weary amber eyes rose to see one of the last ponies she wanted to see at this time.

“Rainbow Dash!”

“Oh hey, Apple Bloom. What brings you here,” Rainbow Dash rasped out with an easy-going smile.

Dash was oozing her usual charm, but Apple Bloom knew better. Over the years, Apple Bloom had grown to know Rainbow Dash and her tricks well. Deep within Rainbow’s magenta eyes burned an intensity, a competitiveness that wouldn’t yield to anything.

“Well Dash, I’m here to get this record for my sister.”

“Really now? That’s so cool because I’m also here to get this record for your sister. Too bad there’s only one. Better luck next time Bloom,” Rainbow declared casually, moving to grab the record with lightning speed.

“Hey, not so fast speedster,” Apple Bloom retorted. She was already expecting Rainbow Dash to make this move and acted accordingly. She placed herself between the pegasus and the stall defiantly.

“Apple Bloom!” Rainbow hollered in mock disappointment. “What would Applejack say if she saw you treating me like this?”

“I don’t know, what would my sister say if she knew you were out here, running around in the streets this close to Hearth's Warming instead of being home with her?”

“Well kiddo, she’d probably say thank you for looking out for her sweet baby sister on this cold winter's night. Shouldn’t you be at home too?”

“I’m an adult Rainbow, I don’t need to be anywhere other than where I want to be! And, I’ll have you know that the girls and I got plans for tonight. So how about you go ahead and let me take that record so we can get going.”

“I’m sure you can come up with something else,” Rainbow Dash insisted, abandoning her feigned conversational tone. “Give me a hoof here Scoots, talk to your friend!”

Apple Bloom turned to the younger pegasus with a deep frown. “Do that, and you’re dead to me!”

Scootaloo grimaced and stepped back in fear. “Listen, I-I don’t want any part of this! I’m just gonna...uh... count some snowflakes until you girls figure this out. Here I go, one, two, three…”

“Fine,” Rainbow Dash muttered, opting to soften her tone. “You’re her kid sister, Apple Bloom. She’ll love anything you give her. Can’t you just make her like a macaroni necklace or picture frame out of popsicle sticks again?”

“No way! I’m not going back to that. I’ve been making my own money since I started filling in for Pinkie at Sugarcube Corner. I’m trying to be independent this year by getting real gifts for my loved ones. Not dumb little hoof-made clay ornaments or cheap word-of-the-day calendars.”

“Hey, I liked every hoof-made thing you made for me, and Applejack did too. They’re not dumb.”

“Seriously?”

“Of course, I kept every last one of them, because they were awesome gifts. Which is why you should make more and let me give your sister this vinyl.”

“Why can’t you get something else!” Apple Bloom huffed out. “Use all that Wonderbolt money to get her something fancy!”

“Oh, you know AJ doesn’t care about expensive junk like that. She’s all about thoughtfulness and being genuine. Anyway, I practically got the dang thing to Ponyville in the first place! I specifically asked Twilight to reopen the southern border to rush trade operations. The gift is as good as mine already.”

“That doesn’t even make any sense!”

“Um, girls?” Sweetie Belle tried to interject gently to no avail.

“What? Yes, it does. Do you even know how hard it is to convince Twilight of anything these days!”

“Girls?”

“That ain’t what I’m getting at. What’s securing the southern border got to do with getting a Shaneigha Mane album?”

“Rainbow? Apple Bloom?”

“Uh, like everything. It’s about the flow of commerce, Bloom!”

“Girls!” Sweetie Belle shouted with a stomp, having lost all her patience.

“What Sweetie!” The pair replied in tandem.

“The record is gone.”

All eyes fell on the sparkling, and notably empty, surface of Clever Clerk’s stall. The griffon was already beginning to pack up his stall and only offered the mares a shrug as they gawked at him.

Rainbow Dash jumped up into the air and grabbed Sweetie by the shoulders. “Where’d it go!”

“I don’t know! I was too busy watching you two.”

“You’re killing me here, Sweetie Belle! What about you Scoots,” Rainbow Dash begged.

Scootaloo continued focusing on the pile of snow before her, but answered nonetheless, “Eighty-three, eighty-four. Nope. Eighty-five, eighty-six…”

“Fine, don’t help me, the mare who has been here for you all since you were yea high! They couldn’t have gotten far anyway. Later chumps!” Rainbow Dash cried before soaring away.

As the streak of rainbow faded into the snowfall, Apple Bloom looked at the sky with a frown. Rainbow Dash had managed to make this even more personal than it already was. This was no longer just about getting Applejack a nice gift. It was about getting Applejack the nicest gift, and Celestia be scorned if Apple Bloom was going to lose to Rainbow Dash.

“So, what now?” Sweetie Belle asked as she shivered from the cold.

Apple Bloom wiped snow from her face and mentally prepared herself. “How much time before we need to be at Pipsqueak’s?”

“About four hours,” Scootaloo stated succinctly.

“Then we’re good. Let’s stay our course and keep with the original plan. I know who can help us. Let’s go girls!”


Creatures around town called them the “Eyes of Ponyville.” No matter what happened, as long as it occurred on town soil, they knew about it. They began their information crusade shortly after Pinkie went on bedrest due to her pregnancy. She needed somepony to pick up her mantle and keep tabs on the interconnected lives of Ponyville’s citizens, so she enlisted her most faithful followers to help.

And those two would do anything to keep their dear auntie happy.

“I know y’all know who took it. Quit looking at me like I got two heads.”

“Okay Apple Bloom,” Pumpkin Cake mused in between sips of hot chocolate, “let's say we do know who took the album. What do we gain by telling you this very private information?”

Apple Bloom sighed; it had taken them long enough to get to the point. It seemed that each time they did this song-and-dance routine, the Cake twins were greedier and bolder. The young farmer riffled through her saddlebags for any goods she could trade them with.

The twin’s base of operations was run out of Pinkie’s old room at the very top of the bakery. The elevation of the space gave Pound and Pumpkin a good view of Ponyville while still allowing them to listen in. It was becoming an increasingly common sight to see one of the twins perched behind the banister with a pair of binoculars.

Sweetie Belle slowly walked around the room, studying her surroundings. “It’s so strange to be here after Pinkie moved out. Everything seems so different. I mean look at Pound and Pumpkin, you two have gotten so big since I last saw you.”

“Thanks, Miss Sweetie Belle,” Pound chirped as he fiddled with a small radio receiver. “We’ve missed you. How was Manehatten? How’s your sister? When did you get back?”

Delighted to discuss something other than destroying Rainbow Dash, Sweetie Belle obliged cheerfully, “Oh, well. I came back yesterday. And let me tell you, the train was packed. Rarity really wanted to come with me, but the positive reception to her Winter collection has left her totally swamped with orders. The Carousel Boutique in Baltimare is completely overwhelmed, so she opted to go there. I tried to go with her, but she insisted I take a holiday an-”

“Don’t tell them too much now Sweetie Belle,” Apple Bloom blurted out. “Those sweet faces will deceive you. They don’t ask questions unless they plan to harbor it or trade it. Hold onto your information for a rainy day.”

Sweetie Belle was taken aback by Apple Bloom’s statement, not wanting to believe that the tiny foals before her were using her. But it seemed that her warning had more weight than expected. From the guilty look on his face, it was obvious that Pound Cake had already scribbled down everything Sweetie had said in a notepad. Scootaloo let out a low whistle as she observed the dozens of boxes full of paper around the room.

“I don’t remember learning how to do any of this when we were in Miss Cheerlie’s class,” Scootaloo joked as she gave the radio a closer listen. “Is that…Derpy? Did you guys wiretap the post office?”

The twins eyed each other cryptically before Pumpkin chided her brother. “Didn’t I tell you to wear your headphones when we have guests here?”

“Yeah, my bad,” Pound apologized as he plugged a pair of headphones into the radio. He put them on and was quick to inform his sister, “Starlight Glimmer ordered two shipments, but one of them is missing. All she has is a mug that says, ‘World’s Greatest and Powerfulest Guidance Counselor.’ Apparently the second package is ‘much more important.’”

Pumpkin hastily jotted the information down only stopping when Apple Bloom impatiently offered her payment.

“What’s this supposed to be?” Pumpkin asked.

“Uh, y’all’s usual,” Apple Bloom elaborated in confusion, “two sheets of scratch-n-sniff stickers and a hoofful of erasers that look like different critters.”

Pound snorted indignantly as he removed his headphones. “We’re too old for that stuff, Apple Bloom.”

“What do you mean? You were happy to accept this stuff last week!”

“And now we’re a week older. We’re not children. We don’t want that.” Pumpkin explained as she sorted her papers into files covered in scratch-n-sniff stickers.

Apple Bloom’s eye twitched as she searched for the remains of her sanity. “Here’s the thing, y’all literally are children. I need y’all to work with me, think of all we’ve been through. We’re family friends; our mothers were best friends. Your aunt is my cousin. I’ve babysat y’all multiple times since you were born. I work here, and you see me around all the time. Can’t y’all find it in your hearts to do right by me on this cold and miserable Hearth’s Warming Eve?”

The twins glanced at each other before responding in unison, “No.”

“What if I pay you back later?”

“No.”

“What if I tell you every little thing that happens at Pipsqueak’s party?”

“Enticing, but no.”

Apple Bloom groaned in irritation. Pound and Pumpkin knew exactly how to push her button because they spent so much time together. She was trying to think up her next move when she felt a gentle hoof push her to the side.

Scootaloo cleared her throat and spoke casually. “How about this? When you guys go back to school, I’ll give you a ride on my scooter.”

“I don’t know Scootaloo. I’m not su-”

“Deal.”

“Seriously, that’s all it takes?”

Pound shrugged. “Well, yeah. Scootaloo’s super cool.”

“It would be the perfect way to start the new semester,” Pumpkin added. “We can bargain for more rides. Is there anything else you would like to know, Apple Bloom? We can tell you what Diamond Tiara got you for Hearth’s Warming.”

“No, no, let’s just settle on what I asked for. Are you sure you're okay with this Scoots?”

“Of course,” Scootaloo reassured with a nod, before asking. “Since when have you been on gift-giving terms with Diamond Tiara?”

Apple Bloom took a moment to shake hooves with Pound and Pumpkin, then answered, “She’s been coming to Sugarcube Corner for coffee every morning since she started working for the mayor. And since Silver Spoon’s been working in Canterlot, we started hanging out, but that’s not important. It’s time for these two to tell us who has the record.”


“Alright, so y’all fought over the present and lost it. Apple Bloom, you interrogated the Cake Twins to learn who had it. What did you do, Rainbow Dash?” Applejack questioned, having calmed down considerably since the story had started.

“Nothing too fancy, I just flew around and spotted her acting super suspicious. And you know how easy it is to get her talking about anything and everything,” Rainbow Dash explained with a smirk.

Not too far away, somepony scoffed and blew a raspberry. “You’re one to talk, Rainbow Dash. The Great and Powerful Trixie will not sit ideally by as you run a smear campaign against her good name!”

Trixie upturned her snout and turned away from the others. Rainbow Dash could only roll her eyes in response while Apple Bloom buried her face in her hooves.

“This is a nightmare,” Apple Bloom murmured to herself as she rocked back and forth slowly.

Applejack could only shake her head and ask, “Trixie, I get why these two wanted the record, but what’d you need it for?”

“It was for my gift to Starlight. Trixie traded the record to Trick Flick for a 3rd edition copy of Gemind’s Recount of the Stars. Trick Flick would have bought the record herself, but she and Clever Clerk are at odds. So, Trixie bought it in her stead.”

“And how exactly did that get you stuck here with these two?”

“Well, Trixie wanted to get the record out of Trick's hooves. After the trade, it became apparent why Clever no longer deals with Trick. That mare is rotten to her core. She scammed Trixie with a moldy old knock-off and refused to refund it! She took Trixie for some sort of rube, which is an inconceivable offense.”

“So, you took it to heart and got roped into whatever scheme these two came up with?” Applejack inferred with a looming sense of dread.

“Au contraire apple farmer, the Great and Powerful Trixie was the Great and Powerful mastermind of this plot!”

The sound of Applejack slapping her forehead reverberated throughout the room.

She spoke severely. “Y’all have to be joking.”

Rainbow Dash shivered as she tried to salvage the conversation. “In retrospect, it was a really bad idea. But, it made a lot of sense at the time. And ultimately, we were all looking out for each other.”

“Y'all ‘were all looking out for each other?’” Applejack repeated with an impressive Rainbow Dash impression. “Well, y’all did a real bad job at that, didn’t you? That’s why I had to drudge all the way here from Sweet Apple Acres on Hearth’s Warming Eve to bail you three out of jail!”

For the first time in her life, Rainbow Dash actually felt relieved to be behind bars. It seemed that being caged by a set of reinforced steel bars was the only thing keeping Applejack from literally tearing her a new one. The glare on the apple farmer's face was lethal, but avoidable if one obscured themselves in the shadow of their shared cell.

Despite being terrified, Rainbow Dash tightened her grip on the bars and came close. “Listen Applejack, I understand why you’re upset. But please, just let me explain what went wrong. I Pinkie promise you, it's not as bad as you think…”


“So, just for clarification, we’re completely ruling out any type of breaking and or entering?”

“Yes, Sweetie Belle. Let’s try not to rob anycreature over a Shaneigha Mane album,” Rainbow Dash confirmed sternly.

“How about we all surround her and firmly insist that she give up the album?” Scootaloo proposed.

“Intimidation is a powerful tool, but not in this circumstance. Trick won’t give us anything if she feels threatened. I think talking is a good idea, but it should be one-on-one,” Trixie asserted with her designated ‘guidance counselor voice.’

“Didn't you already speak to her once? How do you know if it’ll be any different if we try it?” Apple Bloom asked, losing hope in the vitality of their mission.

“Well, those circumstances were a bit different. Admittedly, I was a bit peeved and said some… reprehensible things. Now I have a clearer mind, and I can coach one of you on the proper things to say.”

Talking wasn’t the worst idea. One might even say it was the best idea when compared to some of the other options. As the group stood out in front of Town Hall in the cold, it was apparent that they were running out of steam. It was dark out, and the streets were notably empty as every other creature retired to their homes and families.

Apple Bloom breathed warm air over her front hooves as Trixie advised Sweetie Belle on what to say. They had opted to pick the young unicorn because she was easily the nicest of the bunch, at least at face value. It also helped that Rarity had taught her all about flattery and good impressions.

They had begun the walk to Trick Flick’s home, a small cottage on the outskirts of Ponyville, when Apple Bloom heard somepony call her name.

“Hey, Apple Bloom!” Diamond Tiara greeted as she exited and locked up the front doors of Town Hall.

Apple Bloom turned on her hooves to greet her. “Oh, howdy Diamond! They got the interns working late on Hearth’s Warming Eve?”

“It wasn’t mandatory, but I thought I’d get a few small tasks done. I honestly just needed a place to stay until Silver Spoon’s train arrived. You’re still coming to Pipsqueak’s right? Once Silver drops off her things, we’ll be heading over.”

“Yeah, we’ll be there. We gotta take care of one last thing first,” Apple Bloom confirmed awkwardly, not wanting to draw too much attention to their current activities.

“Okay, great! I guess we’ll see you at Pipsqueaks then,” Diamond celebrated with a crooked smile, she wrapped her scarf around her neck a few more times before saying, “I…uh…actually got something for you, a gift for Hearth’s Warming.”

“Aw, thank you! Well, that’s mighty nice of you, Diamond. I got something for you, too. How about we exchange gifts at Pipsqueak’s?”

“Yeah, yeah, that sounds like a plan. I’ll let you girls go and see you later!” Diamond Tiara called before departing for the train station.

“Interesting,” Scootaloo pondered aloud. “I guess you two really are on gift-giving terms. How interesting.”

Apple Bloom could only roll her eyes as they continued up the path. She gave Scootaloo a light shove, prompting the pegasus to race her to catch up with the others. Their giggles were the only sound echoing throughout the streets during that quiet night.


“So y’all planned for Sweetie Belle to go to Trick Flick’s home and get the record back?”

“Exactly AJ, it wasn’t some crazy bad plan, it was actually pretty simple. Me and Bloom were even willing to share the present to make it work.”

“And yet it still went sour? How’d something that simple go wrong?”

“We’re not entirely sure, sis,” Apple Bloom admitted, finally breaking her long silence. “I was kinda hoping Sweetie Belle or Scootaloo would give you more context while they were bringing you here.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “Your friends didn’t bring me here, sugarcube. I haven’t seen either of them all night. I knew to come get y’all because Mr. Cake came by and told me. Apparently, Pound heard the police report through the radio and got worried.”

“You haven’t seen my friends?” Apple Bloom reiterated in relief. “Maybe it's good that you haven’t. I told them to run as soon as things got…uh…messy. They were only trying to help me, so I didn’t think it was fair for them to get caught in the fallout.”

“But how did things get ‘messy’ in the first place? What’d y’all do to Trick Flick?”

“Barely anything!” Trixie declared with conviction. “And we could have done even less had your sister not insisted on joining her little friend.”

“Hey! We weren’t about to leave Sweetie Belle alone in a creepy, old stranger’s cottage at the edge of town. We weren’t planning on ganging up on the mare, we just wanted to be close by.”

“And how exactly did you accomplish that Apple Bloom?” Applejack asked with a look of anticipatory disapproval.

Apple Bloom scratched the back of her head and coughed before starting, “It was a tad bit unlawful…”


Sweetie Belle had only been in Trick’s house for a few minutes when she started to see Scootaloo’s and Apple Bloom’s faces popping up behind the dirty windows. It was difficult for her to maintain focus as she struggled to keep track of both interactions before her. On one end, she had Trick Flick, who seemed to be an exceedingly isolated elderly mare, talking her ear off. On the other end, she had her best friends trying to carry out full conversations by vaguely mouthing words.

Sweetie did her best to be responsive to both, but it began to take its toll. After a while, she hastily excused herself to use the bathroom and scurried away. She could hear Trick in the kitchen preparing tea as she traversed the cluttered halls of her home. It was obvious that Trick liked to hold on to things, so much so that she had more objects in her home than space.

There was a high chance that the record would be here; the main problem would be finding it amidst the piles of junk. Since the plan wasn’t to steal the record, Sweetie was relying on Trick to eventually reveal where the object was hidden. Sweetie Belle let her curiosity take over as she wandered aimlessly. She was only brought back to the present by the sound of tapping on the window.

Her friends’ voices were muffled, but their requests and intentions were clear. Sweetie unlocked the clasp on the window and grunted as she hoisted the pane upward. A chill immediately flowed into the toasty and musty house as Sweetie helped her friends inside. They grunted and groaned as they clamored in, cushioning their falls with the pile of newspapers positioned under the window.

Sweetie was preparing to close the window when Rainbow Dash appeared to scold them from outside.

“What’d I say about breaking and entering? What’re you doing in there?”

“Relax, Dash. We’re just looking out for our friend. We’ll be quiet, and it's not like this place doesn't have plenty of spots to hide,” Scootaloo argued in a whisper, as she brushed her mane back with a hoof.

“But this isn’t a part of our plan. You guys have to get out of there. I’m sure Trixie would agree.”

“Speak for yourself, Rainbow Dash. Trixie might have sided with you were it not so cold out. Come along children, help Trixie in.”

The trio worked together to pull Trixie inside, leaving Rainbow Dash in utter disbelief. The Wonderbolt swallowed her frustration and grumbled to herself.

“Since when do I have to be the straight-mare? I’m not standing out here by myself while they get to hang out in this creepy old house.”

With that, Rainbow Dash silently entered too. Scootaloo helped her shut the window as quietly as possible. They grew pensive as the sound of rattling glass chimed from the living room. Sweetie Belle raised her hoof to her muzzle as a gesture to make no sound.

Trick placed her tray down and called out to her companion. “Oh, uh, Sweetie Belle? I made some tea for us. Did you find the bathroom okay?”

“Oh yes, yes, thank you, Miss Flick,” Sweetie responded innocently. The young unicorn turned around and mouthed, “Stay hidden.”

She exited the room, leaving the other four mares to pick around and wait. As Apple Bloom made herself comfortable by resting against a mound of plush dolls, she could hear bits and pieces of Trick’s and Sweetie’s conversation.

“It’s good to hear that you adapted to Manehattan so easily. The ability to make friends wherever you go is certainly a gift. It’s one of those things I never learned how to master.”

“Aw, thank you! Growing up in Ponyville made it pretty easy to learn. It’s kind of like our whole thing now; being a friendly place for friendly creatures. We’re different, but we make it work.”

“Well, there’s certainly some truth to that. I’ve lived in many towns throughout my lifetime, but I must say, Ponyville was the easiest to buy a nice-sized house in.”

Sweetie Belle laughed lightly and sipped her tea. “That is how things tend to go around here. The population only ever grows, but the frequent freak accidents and monster attacks keep everything affordable.”

“Yes, yes, all the monsters were very shocking to me. I’m not sure what is more frightening. All the monsters that prowl that Everfree or the monsters that roam the streets.”

“‘The monsters that roam the streets?’” Sweetie Belle repeated slowly.

“Yes, you know what I mean. Those creatures: changelings, yaks and what have you. I’ve already had the most unpleasant interactions with that greedy griffon, Clever Clerk. That pesky bird refuses to sell to me anymore!”

Sweetie Belle let out a deep sigh as she put her teacup down. “Oh, that’s…that’s not okay at all.”

"It is sickening, isn't it? The way Equestria has lost its way in a few short years. It seems as if this new princess is committed to destroying Celestia's good legacy."

It was obvious that Sweetie Belle was ready to go, but the others were still inside. The discomfort in her voice was noticeable, but she held out cordiality to buy her friends time.

Rainbow Dash stared at Trixie and gave her a nod. “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“Throw all caution to the wind, ransack this place, then never return?” Trixie suggested.

“Exactly, c’mon guys let's get a move on!”

Stealth was abandoned as the four began tearing the room apart. It didn’t take long for Sweetie and Trick to notice.

“And if you really wanted to make friends, I’d suggest maybe not saying stuff like that. It’s no-”

“Hold on girl,” Trick interrupted as she rose from her seat, “do you hear that?"

“H-hear what? I don’t hear anything, why don’t you sit down,” Sweetie insisted nervously.

Sweetie wanted out of that house as badly as everypony else. She was completely shocked by the amount of ruckus created by her friends. She bit her lip and tried to use her body to block Trick’s way. It was a valiant move from Sweetie, that crumbled as soon as Trick used her unexpectedly powerful earthpony forehooves to push her aside.

“Stay back here girl. It seems something has gotten into the house,” Trick moved decisively.

The old mare trotted into the kitchen and returned with a large knife. She gave it an experimental slash before proceeding down the hall. Sweetie Belle was unsure of how to help other than to cautiously follow behind and yell to her friends.

“Wow, Miss Flick, that sure is a BIG knife you got there! Hopefully, nopony is actually in that room! I’d hate to see Hearth’s Warming be ruined for everypony because somepony got stabbed!”

After an excruciatingly long trot to the door, Trick finally came to a halt as she held her knife outward and forced the door open. As soon as the hinges creaked wide, a barrage of newspapers exploded outward. Something like lightning burst from the room, knocking Sweetie Belle and Trick Flick off their hooves. Within moments, the entire house descended into darkness, as somepony or something flipped the lights off and extinguished the fireplace.

A smokey scent permeated the air as the cottage became deathly quiet, aside from the Trick’s heavy breathing. The old mare fruitlessly pawed around at the floor and whimpered to herself. It seems that they succeeded in subduing her, but there was still work to be done.

Trixie, seeing her chance, summoned her magic to conjure the ghastly image of a pony five sizes too big. The luminescent apparition looked down on Trick with hollow eye sockets and used its unhinged jaw to project a deep, bellowing voice.

“Trick Flick, it is I, the Great and Powerful spirit of Hearth’s Warming. I have watched you, and I am greatly displeased with your attitude. Reform now or face the consequences of your unkind heart.”

Trick Flick trembled violently where she lay, but still managed a few words. “H-how? What do you want from me?”

“The path to redemption is straightforward. Stop treating other creatures like monsters, apologize to Clever Clerk, and return the deluxe edition of Shaneigha Mane’s 20th anniversary vinyl to Trixie Lulamoon at once!”

“B-but, I don’t have that v-v-vinyl.”

“You don’t have it? What do you mean? Trixie traded it to you three hours ago. Are you calling me a liar?”

“No, no! I just…I mean I traded it away already. I don’t have it anymore!”

There was a long pause followed by the sound of several hooves slapping their foreheads.

“Are you serious?”

“Please, I beg of you, please spare me! I’ll change, I promise, I’ll change!”

“That’s good, just great. You wouldn’t happen to know who has it now?”

“Yes, I do!” Trick shouted as she seized her opportunity. “I can get it back! I can fix this!”

The old mare used one hoof to grab her chest, attempting to steady her rapidly beating heart. She was in a lot of pain, and she couldn’t quite slow her breathing, but she was committed to making this change. She used her three unoccupied hooves to propel herself forward into a day.


“Y’all just about frightened that old mare to death, didn’t you?” Applejack asked, devoid of any strong emotion. She was so, so very tired.

“Yeah, she galloped down the street, ran into a bunch of carollers, and collapsed. It was not pretty,” Rainbow Dash described with an equal lack of emotion.

“And y’all got caught because y’all…”

“Went to help her. You know I have my emergency training, so I administered aid until the paramedics arrived. I told your little sister to stay back with her friends, but she didn’t listen.”

“This was just as much my fault as any of y’all. I don’t need to be protected anymore. I wasn’t gonna run from it and let Trixie and Rainbow take the blame,” Apple Bloom stated as she leaned against the prison walls.

Trixie fixed her mane in the reflection of the cell’s bars as she spoke, “I thought I could help her, like how those ghosts helped Snowfall Frost in A Hearth’s Warming Tale! Is it Trixie’s fault for trying to force a little character growth?”

“Well yeah, it kind of is Trixie,” Rainbow Dash replied with a huff. “You can’t exactly grow your character if you’re dead.”

“But she’s not dead. I’m certain she’ll wake up in her hospital bed as a new mare. Now that’s what I call a real Hearth’s Warming gift! If only I could have done the same for my Starlight, she deserves a wonderful gift.”

Applejack shook her head in dismay. “Well, I’m sure she would have been happy just having you by her side. I know that’s all I really wanted, at least.”

“I’m sorry, AJ. I got caught up again. I know that Hearth’s Warming hasn’t quite felt the same since Granny Smith…I guess I just wanted to do something special.”

“Aw, sugarcube I don’t need nothing special for the holiday. Not from you Rainbow Dash, or you Apple Bloom. Any time with y’all is enough.”

“But, it’s not!” Apple Bloom shouted. “You and Mac did everything in your power to make life normal for me. The older I get, the more I understand how much you sacrificed. I just wanted to pay you back with something nice, and I couldn’t even do that right!”

“Hey, hey, now. That’s enough of that Apple Bloom, don’t talk about yourself like that. You don’t owe me or Mac a bit for anything, do you understand me? For those first few years, raising you was the only thing keeping me up on my hooves. It was one of the best things I ever did. I love you more than any gift you could imagine buying me. Now, sit tight and wait a little while longer. I’ll get you out of here, hold you, yell at you a little bit more, and then we can celebrate Hearth’s Warming together. Okay?”

Apple Bloom sniffed and wiped her face before answering. “Yeah, okay.’

“And you don’t have to wait too long because the cavalry is here!” Scootaloo triumphantly announced as she and Sweetie entered the visitors' area.

Rainbow Dash hopped up with a massive grin. “Scoots! You’re bailing us out?”

“No, there’s no need,” Sweetie Belle said with a soft smile. “The matter has been ‘settled.’”

Apple Bloom stood as well to get closer, she pressed her face up against the bars and asked, “How?”

“Simple. Bureaucracy,” Diamond Tiara answered as she entered with an officer.


“You know, back in our day, being an Element Bearer, a Wonderbolt, and a member of the Friendship Council used to mean something. Last night was the longest I’ve ever had to spend behind bars, both on a local and federal level!”

“You know RD, maybe we’re getting too old and impatient. Perhaps we should quit gallivanting in the streets and getting in trouble,” Applejack proposed as she sipped her warm cider.

“‘Gallivanting?’”

“Yeah, ‘gallivanting,’ it's my calendar’s word of the day. We got a propensity for hijinks and shenanigans that don’t seem to be aging well.”

“Oh, don’t be silly, Applejack,” Pinkie laughed as she rubbed her pregnant belly. “Our hijinks and shenanigans will always be timeless. Just wait until the baby gets here, we’ll show them all our best tricks.”

Rainbow Dash clapped her hooves in excitement. “Exactly, that kid will be a pranking legend!”

Applejack leaned back in her seat and chuckled to herself, “Celestia save us.”

Although Hearth’s Warming Eve didn’t go how Applejack planned, she was happy to see that the actual day was going extremely well. They had cooked up a delicious meal at the Castle of Friendship, and her friends and family surrounded her. Everywhere she looked, she could see joyous faces and hear the distinct jingle of laughter.

Trixie watched Starlight unwrap her gift with an uncertain expression. It took everything she had to not to hang her head in shame as Starlight held up the heavily worn copy of Gemind’s Recount of the Stars in her magic.

“Unfortunately, all Trixie could get you for Hearth’s Warming was this incredibly crappy book,” Trixie lamented while twiddling her hooves.

“Aw Trixie, this is so sweet,” Starlight remarked with genuine excitement. “I’m happy to accept this, but only if you’re willing to take this incredibly crappy mug as your Hearth’s Warming gift from me.”

Starlight levitated the mug into Trixie's waiting hooves. The former magician read its surface with reverence, “‘World’s Greatest and Powerfulest Guidance Counselor.’ Starlight, it's perfect!”

Sweetie smiled at the sweet display and turned to Scootaloo. “She did all that just for Starlight to like the gross old book anyway.”

Scootaloo gave her hot cocoa a few sips. “It truly is the thought that counts, Sweetie Belle. Speaking of which, Diamond Tiara. Isn’t it time to give Apple Bloom her gift?”

“Scootaloo!” Apple Bloom fussed.

“What? I’m invested. I want to see how well this mare knows our Apple Bloom. Show us what you got, Diamond.”

Never one to back down from a challenge, Diamond Tiara pulled out two wrapped gifts from under the table. “I hope, it’s alright that I got you two things Apple Bloom.”

Apple Bloom immediately accepted her gifts and got to work opening them. “Hey, I’m not complaining. I really appreciate it, Diamond.”

After tearing open the first gift, she found a brand-new custom bow with an apple print. On the side, she could see her initials embroidered in elegant, swooping letters. Even at first glance, she could tell that the colors complimented her coat and mane quite well. She held the bow close with a big smile.

“That is gorgeous Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle announced with expertise. “Now, on to the next!”

“Alright, alright. Hold it,” Apple Bloom calmed as she tied her new bow into her mane. “Let’s see what we got.”

As she tore away the packaging on the second gift, Apple Bloom had to keep her jaw from hitting the floor. She held up her new gift as if it were the entire universe.

“The deluxe edition of Shaneigha Mane’s 20th anniversary vinyl,” Apple Bloom proclaimed in disbelief. “H-how did you?”

“I remember you mentioning how disappointed you were after it sold out the first time, so I made plans to get it for you last minute. H-had I known what would happen after I paid Trick Flick to get it for me...I…uh… you know… things would have been different.”

“Yeah, no kidding,” Scootaloo said with a snort.

“Diamond, I don’t know what to say.”

“Then don’t say anything, Apple Bloom. You deserve this for being a good friend, even to somepony like me who made life harder for you. I guess that is my way of thanking you and your family, for helping me."

"Aw shucks, it's all water under the bridge, Diamond. I figure we're grown up now," Apple Bloom noted wistfully. "It feels like everything and everycreature around me is moving on; I hope I can keep up with y'all."

"You don't have anything to worry about Apple Bloom," Scootaloo reassured as she wrapped Apple Bloom up in a hug. "In a couple of moons, Ponyville has changed so much, and you changed with it."

"And that's not a bad thing either," Sweetie Belle added, joining the hug. "I think it keeps things interesting. I enjoyed getting to know you the first time around, and I am happy to do it time and time again."

"Aw girls, I'm sorry I dragged y'all around town rather than spending time with you. You've both been waiting to take a break and here I am getting y'all involved in antics and misadventures."

Scootaloo smiled slyly and ruffled Apple Bloom's mane. "Eh, it wouldn't be us if we weren't getting into a little trouble."

"And I didn't mind it," Sweetie Belle admitted with a shrug. "I just wanted to spend some time with you girls, so I definitely think this Hearth's Warming is one for the books."

Apple Bloom chuckled as she finally let herself rest. "Well, hopefully, next year's festivities don't end up on my criminal record. After this, I think Applejack's just gonna have to make do with birdhouses and hoof-made cards for the next few years."

Comments ( 2 )

Man, this was such a nice treat to end the holidays! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this!!!

This was cute and very entertaining. Great job!

Login or register to comment