• Published 30th Sep 2012
  • 1,453 Views, 8 Comments

The Unshed Light - Bluebirdd065



Rarity can't think of a dress idea.

  • ...
2
 8
 1,453

Ideas?

Rarity laid down on her loveseat, squirming a bit in order to secure a comfy position, then set a paper and pencil in front of her, atempting to create a masterpiece in her mind for that Canterlot order that was set in. She laid silently, looking around at her many assorted items of dress making, hoping an idea would pop into her mind at any moment. She gave a long sigh as she tapped the pencil against her chin in complete silence.

Why did I put off that order? she thought. Rarity was obviously a very talented dress maker, but it had always been the general idea that she struggled on; and it came back to haunt her. It was only one dress she needed to set out, so she figured she could just wait till later to start it. DAYS LATER. Unfortunately, though, procrastinating did nothing for her but leave her more stressed out then she already was.

She looked around impaciently once again and looked at the ticking clock hanging snug on her wall; and she only had a few hours until she blew her most important order yet. Rarity's eye twitched at the sight of her clock and she became slightly more desperate to create a dress idea while still keeping her cool. Hoping it would help her, Rarity stood up from her loveseat and began circling around her table, hoping blood circulation would help with her idea-making process.

Upon passing her window, she saw the sun emmit a loud tick as it pushed itself more towards the right. Rarity began increasing her pace of step, speed walking around the table in frustration and anxiety.

"Maybe I can go ask Sweetie Belle!" she said finally with a slightly demented tone.

Making up her mind, she walked over to her stairs in a rushed speed, suddenly stopping at her stairs in the realization of Sweetie Belle being with Applebloom and Scootaloo, probably ripping the town a new one in their crazy desperation of getting a mark on their flank.

++++++

"Yay! Cutie Mark Crusaders GANGSTERS!" The fillies cried in union before running off into town.

++++++

Rarity couldn't even come to think of what they were doing, but the idea of the three energetic fillies brought a shudder onto Rarity as she stepped back from the stairs and began searching through her idea notebooks.

She tilted her head to the right and furrowed her brow, not recognizing the book in her hooves as her notebook.

"And today, Scootaloo said she learned this fun new game! She said she saw a couple having fun playing it one day, and it looked exciting! She said the game was called s-" "EEP!" she yelled as she dropped the book with a shocked look on her face. She would have to talk to her about that. Her eyes locked onto the dreaded book laying on the floor as she walked around it to continue looking for her notebook.

"AHA!" She smiled, levitating another book and looking for inspiration under her previously amazing masterpieces.

She flipped through her book, not finding much other than old, crummy ideas. Obviously, she hasn't been working on that book lately. She kept flipping around, her smile slowly fading as more old ideas were introduced to her.

She groaned and threw the book on the ground near Sweetie Belle's diary, which she still couldn't understand why it was in HER room. She gave the horrible book one last gaze before looking at the window and her clock, seeing how much longer she had before her reputation was ruined.

Her pupils shrank and she began breathing heavily, before running around her room, frantically searching for a spark of something in her mind. Her mind swirled with tons of turn-outs this day could end with, the most likely one becoming a nobody to her peers in both Canterlot AND Ponyville! Her mane began to lose it's beauty and grace as the white marshmallow slowly descended unto insanity.

She couldn't think properly, she couldn't breathe properly! She couldn't even-

"Sis, I'm home!" The small filly squeaked as she saw her sister.

"SWEETIE BELLE! GO....DO SOMETHING ELSE! I'M TRYING TO THINK, IN THE NAME OF CELESTIA!!" She blurted out, her face matching the scariness of Fluttershy during the Gala, if not more.

The poor filly was practically thrown down the stairs from Rarity's booming voice, and she crouched down into a fetal position as she watched her crazed sister destroy her own room with fearful green eyes.

After a few more items were destroyed, she raced towards her window and saw the sun tick again, bringing out the demented side of herself.

"CLOCK IS TICKING, RARITY, CLOCK IS TICKING!" She said blankly, an unsettling, crazed look plastered on her face.

Rarity then stopped, and turned slowly towards Sweetie Belle, meeting eye to eye across the room, bringing a silent, horror movie-like scene, before Sweetie Belle gulped and sank down the stairs.

"Um, sis, are you alright?" the mini-marshmallow stuttered.

Rarity simply stared at Sweetie Belle for a moment, then shot a look at the clock, beginning to deflate and lose her insanity.

She sighed and lowered her head in defeat, before slowly stumbling back onto her loveseat, throwing the paper away with her magic.

Sweetie Belle poked her head out more at the sight of her newly-calmed sister.

"What's wrong?"

Rarity did not speak a word. She only pointed a hoof at the clock and started sobbing. Sweetie Belle looked at the clock in confusion.

Before asking, Rarity answered the question she had in her mind. "I'm supposed to make a dress by sundown, but I don't know what to do for it." she choked.

Sweetie Belle then walked up to her sister with worried eyes.

"I could help you. I made a few dress sketches with Scootaloo and Applebloom before I came here!" she said proudly as she took a drawing from her saddlebag, showing it to Rarity from her mouth.

Rarity sniffed before looking at the sketch, immediately lighting up a bit.

"My...Sweetie Belle...it's beautiful." she whispered as she pulled Sweetie Belle in a hug. " And I would love it if you could help me make it."

The little filly bounced in her arms with glee, picking up her sister from the couch and walking her to the dress material.

"Then let's get started!" she cheered gleefully, before picking out colors and fabric from baskets laid about the room.

Rarity picked up her posture and let out a determined smile, before setting down the dress sketch on a table and examining it, giving Sweetie Belle orders on how to fix up the dress.

++++++

"My, this is just wonderful!" The mare said gleefully as she grasped the dress in a hug.

The sister's looked at each other with a small smile.

"I'm glad you like it." she said lovingly. "Because it was made with help from the greatest sister in the world."

++++++

Upon the customer leaving, the two sisters walked back to the boutique, telling stories and chatting, enjoying the company of each other.

"I love you, Rarity."

A tear streaked across Rarity's cheek as she picked her sister up in another loving embrace.

"I love you too, Sweetie Belle."





THE END.

Comments ( 8 )

Not bad. It was pretty short, and the problem got fixed to quickly, without delay or anything going wrong, but I enjoyed it. Thumbs up.

That was very nice, albeit a little short. I laughed at the ending picture. :rainbowwild:

It was a fun story with an interesting concept, but I didn't think you did enough with it. It felt more like a re-enactment of "Lesson Zero" with Rarity instead of Twilight, down to the arbitrary deadline an the ticking sun clock. There wasn't really any character development or growth, and the resolution just kind of fell flat.

The ending picture didn't make a lot of sense to me. But then, I hate it when people put pictures in stories anyway. Unless it's meant for little kids. Then it's okay.

Anywho. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I know the story's not great, but to be honest, it's because I've been having a hard time comin' up with ideas.

And the feedback does help, so thank you!

A sweet little tale, the crack about the CMCs "ripping the town a new one" notwithstanding.

I almost want to down-vote this just because of that picture at the end. I freakin' hate that meme, and I've been seeing it like 3 times a day for the last few weeks. :twilightangry2:

This was so cute I almost puked platinum and purple rainbows :raritywink::unsuresweetie:

1368932
I agree.....I hate that meme as well.....way over used!

i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/129/659/130386170877-mlp_rarity_wut_gif-(.gif

Nice, cute story.
You have received a thumb and a favorite. :yay:

Login or register to comment