• Published 18th May 2023
  • 257 Views, 2 Comments

Nighttime forever? - TheKing2001



When Night Mare returns, all of Equestria isn't prepared to deal with her. Six mares team up to take her down.

  • ...
 2
 257

Chapter III

“How did you know that giant bird couldn’t see us well?” Cloudkicker asked curiously as she flapped her wings.

“It’s called a Cinereous Vulture. It’s a terrifying thing. I was on a trip that one year I took a vacation to Maretonia. How one ended up here I’ll never know but they typically reside in Maretonia. On our walk among some wildlife, one killed a emu in front of us and the tour guide told us to stay still because it kills based on movement. They have okayish sense of smell but mainly smell dead animals not living ones like us. That said, it will kill a living animal that it sees moving. Which is why I said don’t move,” Raindrops explained to us as she flapped her own wings and looked around.

“I know you said you don’t know how it ended up here but I’m bored of walking. Give me theories,” Sea Swirl sighed.

“Maybe it flew here and smelled a dead animal that attracted it and it decided to stay,” I suggested.

“Maybe it’s a Equestrian variant,” Cloudkicker offered.

“A hybrid!” Golden Harvest grinned enthusiastically.

“Most likely somepony dropped it off here because they didn’t want to take care of if,” Raindrops grunted. “Dumb asses. If you don’t want a pet, don’t buy one.”

“Didn’t you say it could kill one of us like it’s nothing?” Roseluck asked nervously, her eyes flicking back and forth and up at the sky.

“Yeah.” That really made me worried. A pony killing monster is definitely what I like to be around. Just because it flew off to a different part of the forest meant nothing to me. Then again, the forest was full of them allegedly and we already bested those flower things.

“Then why would anypony want one as a pet?” Roseluck demanded.

“Probably stole one from the nest as a baby and raised it. When they dropped it off in the forest, it most likely reverted to it’s natural instinct of eating dead animals and hunting. People sometimes like exotic pets like that,” Raindrops shrugged. “Dizzy Twister and Milky Way had a bunch of exotic snakes.”

“That’s not as bad as a pony hunting creature,” Roseluck shot back. “I’d touch a snakes. I like them, cute creatures.”

“Me too,” Cloudkicker chimed in. “Wanna boop me a snake snoot.”

“What?” Golden Harvest stared up at her. “Do snakes even have snouts?”

“Every animal has noses Golden,” Roseluck rolled her eyes as she jumped over a vine. “Even snakes.”

“Oh. I’ve never seen a snake I don’t think,” Golden Harvest shrugged.

“We should rectify that!” I grinned eagerly. “They’re cute creatures!” I personally loved snakes. And hamsters. And cats. And I think you get the point because I could go on and on. “Gah!” I ran into a tree and rubbed my horn, wincing. That really hurt, by the maker. I glanced up and screamed again. There was a terrifying looking tree with a scary face. I kept scrambling back till I bumped into something warn. I slowly looked up and sighed in relief when I made eye contact with Sea Swirl. Out of all of the ponies in my group, she was the one who had spoken the least. She was a very reserved and quiet mare. More so shy than anything else.

“Hey. You okay down there?” She asked quietly. She extended a hoof and I accepted, her pulling me up.

“Thanks. I’m good I think. That tree just scared me,” I admitted. Sea Swirl glanced up and let out a yelp of her own. She immediately grabbed onto me and we hugged each other scared.

“I didn’t see it to be honest,” she admitted. “It’s scary as heck.” Cloudkicker burst out laughing and I glared at her.

“What’s so funny?” I demanded as Sea Swirl squeezed me harder. Cloudkicker doubled over, laughing even harder as she shakily pointed a hoof at the tree.

“The tree is so funny! It’s like somepony turned it into a pumpkin!” She wiped a tear away and fell over onto Raindrops. Raindrops rolled her eyes and a smirk grew on her face at her fellow laughing pegasus.

“I love you Kicker, but please get off me,” Raindrops chuckled.

“Look at it Rainy!” Cloudkicker grabbed Raindrops face with her hooves and made her look at the tree. “Do you see the pumpkin face?”

“I do yes. Celestia kill me now that’s hilarious!” Raindrops burst out laughing. Roseluck and Golden let out a few chuckles.

“You guys too?” I asked with an eye roll.

“It’s kinda funny,” Roseluck admitted with a smirk.

“Stupid but funny,” Golden Harvest covered her mouth with a hoof in an attempt to hide her grin.

“Celestia kill me now,” Sea Swirl grumbled and gave a smile. “It’s the most dumbest thing I’ve ever seen but I feel better that my friends are laughing at it.” She let me go with a sheepish smile.

“Sometimes a bit of laughter is all that’s needed to make somepony feel better in scary situations,” Cloudkicker finally climbed off Raindrops and flew over to Sea Swirl, tackling her in a hug. Sea Swirl let out a startled gasp and hugged her back slowly.

“I never really thought about it,” I sighed and curled into a ball.

“Are you okay, Lyra?” Roseluck sat down next to me.

“Nah I’m not. Just thinking about Twilight right now,” I admitted and the atmosphere turned somber. Raindrops looked away sadly and Cloudkicker sighed and rubbed the back of her head. Golden Harvest and Sea Swirl made eye contact and Roseluck gave me a soft hug.

“How long did you know her?” Roseluck asked. I paused for a second in thought.

“Years,” I settled on that as a decent answer. “I remember one time in Celestia’s school, Lemon Hearts got a beaker stuck on her head. Minuette and Twinkleshine were chasing after her in an attempt to get the beaker off her, laughing the whole time. Meanwhile, Twilight and Moondancer just sat there reading a book. Lemon Hearts still doesn’t known I’m the one who secretly helped shove the beaker onto her head.” Cloudkicker gave a chuckle at that.

“Hold on to those memories. That’s how she’ll keep living on,” Sea Swirl piped in quietly. “You seem strong. Just be there for your friends. It’ll never go away but it just gets easier to deal with, Lyra.” I wiped a tear away and hugged Roseluck back tightly.

“Thanks Sea Swirl. I needed that,” I sighed as Roseluck let go and patted me on the head. I shakily stood up to my hooves.

“Let’s keep moving and find this witch. For Twilight,” I regained a bit of my confidence. The others looked at each and nodded.

“For Twilight,” they said in unison. I gave a brief nod and trotted forward, following the map.

“We’re almost there.”

Comments ( 1 )

I really feel excited for the next chapter

Login or register to comment