• Published 21st Mar 2023
  • 223 Views, 8 Comments

Starlights Confectionery - TheKing2001

  • ...
3
 8
 223

Chapter One

"Wow Mrs. Cake look what your new friend made you!" Pinkie cried out.

"New friend, i like the sound of tha-", Mrs.Cake chuckled before looking up. "Wowza, are you trying to put me out of business with your magical fancy appearing what's it cake!?" She glared at Starlight and pointed a hoof accusingly. Pinkies ears folded while Starlight looked down. She suddenly looked up.

"I could open a bakery! I do need the extra bits, since nopony here is hiring. Thanks Mrs. Cake." Starlight waved before taking off.

"Wait! You better not!" Mrs. Cake yelled after Starlight but she was far too gone to hear her.

"What building would work best for a bakery?" Starlight wondered aloud to herself. She looked around her. To her left was Rose, Daisy and Lily's flower stand. The three waved to her which she returned. Over to her right was Double Scoops ice cream stand where she was handing a cone to a filly and grey pegasus.

Her eyes fell upon an abandoned building. "There!" She cheered out to herself.

Berry Punch looked at her confused. Starlight lowered her voice. "Sorry about that. Just excited." Berry just nodded and walked away to her juice stand.

Starlight looked closer at the sign. "Huh, see Filthy Richs Realtor Agency at 157 Hoofful Lane."

Starlight trotted into the agency. "Hi, I'm here to inquire about a property?"

The mare at the desk started looking through papers. "What property, miss?"

"An abandoned building at 65 Strawberry Avenue." Starlight replied.

"Aha, here it is." The mare pulled out a file. "I'll let Mr.Rich know you're here."

Starlight settled into the comfortable chair across from Filthy.

"Alright, Miss. The property is in okayish condition, but went into foreclosure. Nopony has been interested in it. I've been trying to sell it for years. I can sell you it today for ten thousand bits."

Starlight was shocked. Ten thousand was a lot, but she did have plenty in savings.

"I'll accept it." She said happily.

"Juat sign all these areas where your signature is needed." Filthy directed her.

Starlight carefully read each and every document. She didn't want to miss an important detail or a fine print and get caught up on some scheme for more money from her. Satisfied, she signed it and left. She headed straight to her new property and removed the foreclose sign from the lawn.

Three months later, she stood proudly in front of her restored property. It had pink pillars in the front, with blue paint and a giant cake on the sign. It read "Starlights Confectionery". It took almost all her bits but she got all the machines needed for baking, the ovens, the register and uniforms. All she needed was employees. She was grateful Rarity offered to design it all for free and Applejack helped build it. Pinkie just ignored them all.

She put the hiring sign in her window and stepped inside, breathing the fresh air in and smiling. To her left sat white tables with pink napkin dispensers. To her right was a jukebox for music and ahead of her was the blue register stand, wrapping around the front. She could see into the back, where the shiny stores and ovens shined in the light. The pink mixers sat on blue countertops.

She stood there admiring it for so long a knock on the door startled her. She trotted over to it. Standing there were two pegasi, same color mane and coat. The only difference was ones mane was a bit wilder and the other had a pink bow.

"Sorry, we aren't open yet." Starlight told the twins. "We don't have any employees yet."

"That's kinda why we're here", the one without the bow said kicking at the ground.

"Yeah", the one with the bow piped up. "We quit our last job because we got tired of almost being killed by stray lightning bolts and tornadoes."

Starlight smiled and held the door open. "Well, come on in! I'm Starlight."

The two trotted in and the door shut behind them. "I'm Flitter." The one with a bow introduced herself.

"And I'm Cloudchaser." The other said smiling.

Starlight sat down at the closet table and a clipboard appeared in front of her. The twins sat down.

"Got any experience in the restaurant industry?" Starlight asked. The twins looked to each other.

"We worked at MareDonalds during high school." Flitter said.

"I was a cook and she worked register." Cloudchaser piped in.

Starlight scribbled down their answers. "Alright, perfect. How long did you work at your last job?"

"Uhhh. Three years. We're only twenty one." Cloudchaser said.

Starlight nodded. "Perfect. Your answers are satisfactory. When can you start working?"

"Whenever you open." Flitter decided while her sister nodded.

"Alright, we need ten more employees so please do let your friends know. We need a few more bakers, register employees and cleaners." Starlight stated.

The twins nodded.

"What size uniforms do you guys think you'll need?" Starlight disappeared behind the counter.

"A medium for me." Cloudchaser said.

"And small for me." Her sister added.

Starlight tossed the two their uniforms.

"You just had them waiting already?" Flitter asked incredulously.

"Twilight helped with the hiring process and questions. She also went into a tiny panic and decided to have practically every size of uniform available." Starlight explained.

The twins shuddered slightly. Twilights panics were legendary in town, no matter how small they were.



Three hours later, Starlight had her hooves full interviewing. In the restaurant sat Cloudkicker, Derpy, Cherry Berry and a few others.

"Congrats. You're all hired." Starlight announced.

The ponies congratulated each other smiling.

"Derpy, can I speak to you over here?" Starlight requested. The grey pegasus trotted over.

"Yes boss?" She asked.

"You have reputation to be a tad bit clumsy. We don't judge here based on anything like that, but please try to be careful here."

Derpy nodded and tossed her a lazy salute. She turned around and her tail slapped Starlight in the face. Starlight rubbed the spot.

"I hope I don't regret this." She muttered to herself.

"Alright, everypony gather around." Starlight announced. Her new employees gather around inside the shop.

"It's finally opening day. We're gonna get swamped today. But we stay calm, work together and the day will be over before you know it. Flitter, you and Cloudkicker are on register. Cherry, you, Cloudchaser and Derpy are baking. Me and Trixie are delivering orders and cleanup. Carrot, you and Berry are on making smoothies and milkshakes." I explained.

The ponies in question each went to their designated spots while I went to the doors and unlocked them and flipped the closed sign to open. I stepped back instantly and a swarm of ponies entered the bakery.

The next few hours were a blurr.

"Hi! Welcome to Starlights Confectionery, I'm Flitter. What can I get ya?" The Pegasus asked. She was wearing a pink hat with white strips and a matching shirt with her nametag.

"I'll just take a caramel latte and a chocolate donut." The stallion said.

Flitter rung it up. "That'll be seven bits, sir." He hoofed over the bits and Flitter put them on the register. "Just go right there and you're order will be out soon." She passed the paper with the order on it to Starlight and she levitated it to the bakers.

The stallion received his order and trotted off.

"Come back soon." Flitter called out as he left.

Berry wiped her brow as she tossed the berries into the blender. "Man, I haven't worked this hard since college."

"You said it." Carrot Top agreed. She slid a smoothie glass to her partner and Berry dumped the contents into the glass. Carrot slid it to Trixie who took it to Lickety Split.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie gives you your great and powerful smoothie." She said smiling.

Derpy hummed as she put the muffins in the oven.

"Having fun, Derpy?" Cherry Berry asked.

"Mhm." The grey pegasus said muffled by the tray in her mouth.

"This is a pretty good job so far." Cloudchaser agreed.

Cherry nodded. "Absolutely. I thought Starlight would be way worse, given her past but she's a very nice mare."

"I wonder how the Cakes are taking this?" Cloudchaser mused aloud.

Starlight tiredly worked her way to the door. Behind her stood her team of equally exhausted ponies.

"Good job, everypony! We made it through the first day. I'm proud of everypony." Starlight said grinning. "Pay day is next Friday."

The ponies left the store, saying goodnight to Starlight as they each left.

"Derpy!" Starlight called out. "Wait!"

The Pegasus stopped and turned around nervously. "Yeah boss? I know I was a little loud singing but I do that when I bake. I can stop if you want."

"No, no, no." Starlight hastily said. "I'm perfectly fine with the singing, you did great today. Nothing went wrong in your area. Keep up the great work." She patted Derpy on the shoulder.

Derpy headed home with a confident grin on her face.

Comments ( 7 )

I like the plot of the story, however the scenes felt a little too fast. In four paragraphs, Ms. Cake scolded Starlight for trying to "run her out of business," and in the fifth paragraph, Starlight suddenly looks for a building to put up shop? I couldn't really grasp with what was going on in such a short time in a story. Maybe if the story dove in deeper on how and why Starlight got the idea, then not only would the story slow down so the reader could get more information and understand, but it would make the scenes well-paced instead of it being jumpy.

Another issue that I found is the lack of apostrophes in some sentences, like Starlights and Pinkies instead of Starlight's and Pinkie's.

But aside the criticism, the plot has me interested and I am curious about where it's gonna go, so it has my attention.

11535866
Okay I'll fix those in the next chapter. And I'll also come up with a backstory for where she got the idea

11535878
Kk I will wait

This is a pretty good story, maybe Derpy could make a jingle for the bakery

11535866
My sentiments exactly.

Concept has a lot of potential, interested to see where you take it.

11536120
I'm not really good at coming up with songs. If you were interested in making one, I'd credit you

Login or register to comment