• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 1,140 Views, 22 Comments

The Voice in Her Head - Dreagar



"I think, therefore I am." -What happens when one's existence is only thought?

  • ...
0
 22
 1,140

Day 1: The Life...

Nothing.

Simple, pure, unbroken darkness surrounded Twilight. No, darkness wasn't accurate. The better synonym was nothingness. A pain began to build up in her... somewhere. Regardless, the pain was quickly becoming agonising, sending shrill alerts of panic across her consciousness.

Twilight! I-I think I'm in your body! The booming voice of Renic called from the void.

The situation dawned on the previously purple prodigy. Renic, breath! You need to breath!

She felt herself falling, growing more and more lethargic with each split second. However, in moments like this it is claimed that a pony will see their life flash before their eyes. While Twilight found she didn't have eyes at this moment, she did recall a certain fail safe of the pony physiology.

I don't know how!

Life fading away, Twilight only felt the smallest hint of fear.

Don't worry, just follow the example.

What ex-

The metaphorical bungee cord snapped taught, flinging Twilight's conciousness out of lethargy.

That. Just keep doing that Renic.

All became still again in the void, as if nothing had ever happened. Had it even happened? How long ago? The void seemed perfect in it's timelessness. There was no evidence of their shared experience of near death, and nothing to signal any time had passed.

There was only one way to find out.

Renic? She inquired to the understandably stressed being.

Yeah, Twilight?

How long ago did that happen?

Renic seemed at loss for a period of time. About a minute ago, I'd guess. He committed.

A minute? It had already felt like an eternity.

Yeah. Time seems to pass funny in your head.

Twilight's impeding sarcastic comment was interrupted by another familiar voice.

"Twilight, Are you OK?" Spike said from afar, his voice closer to the familiar distorted quality of sound having travel to her ears.

"Uh... hi," Spike. "Spike!" Renic spoke, the sound matching the quality of Spike's, if not slightly louder.

"Are you feeling right Twi'?"

"Never better!" Twilight snorted. Technically that wasn't a lie.

"If you say..."

"I do say, I say!" Renic was obviously perking up.

Renic please be careful with my-

The sound of shifting covers, an 'umph' and a feeling of pain where her muzzle should be proved her pleading too late.

Body. She trailed off.

Uh, oops?

Twilight would've facehoofed if she could.

"Are you sure you're sure, Twilight?"

"Yep!" Renic chirped, a fact made creepy by the sound being in Twilight's voice. Twilight could hear a disgruntled huff sound, and the march of receding clawsteps.

"Wait."

Renic what are you doing?

Explaining stuff.

Shouldn't that be left to me?

Can you sleep on command?

No.

Then I'll explain for you. What can go wrong?

Everything.

Renic ignored that. "Uh, remember the mental breakdown I had yesterday?" Harsh.

Well it was.

Spike's answer reeked of scepticism. "Are you a changeling?"

"What? No."

"Well you're obviously not Twilight. She'd never admit to a breakdown like that."

It wasn't really a breakdo-

"You're right! I'm the voice in her head, Renic at your disposal."

Twilight groaned.

"So, you're claiming to be Twilight's crazy."

"Yep!"

He shrugged. "Figures, just want to make sure though, is Twilight in there somewhere?"

He really is my number one assistant.

"Yeah, she just commented on how you're her 'number one assistant'. Do you work for her or something?"

Twilight would have blushed if she could. Renic, those are private thoughts, thoughts that I don't want you telling everypony out loud.

Oh, woops.

"Yeah, that sounds like her." He beamed. "I'm going off to Rarity's, so head over there if you need anything." He made for the stairs. "Oh yeah, and be careful with Twi's body, okay?"

"Uh, ok." The sound of receding clawsteps once again decorated the void.

So, that went better than I expected.

This isn't the craziest thing Spike's had to put up with, he's far more mature than most dragons his age.

So, what do we do now?

First, I think some research is in order if we're going to accomplish anything.

That morning was the most boring in Renic's life. Which is to say, more boring than yesterday.

Comments ( 6 )

I have no idea what I'm doing :twilightoops:
In other news, I feel the story's quality is receding. I'm not sure how, but it is. Please, tell me what's wrong, hypothetical reader!
Lastly, I'll be releasing a vampire fic, so @Stonershy -"Mwhahahaha!". It'll be completely different though, focussing on an Austraeoh like journey with my own exploration of vampirism. Fun fun fun. Don't worry about updates; I'll try to release at least one for this story every week.

Lastly INB4 first!

I like it, one thing that might help your "waning quality" is to bring in another point of view that explains things to the reader. this is an excellent chance to do the id, ego, and superego trilogy in a pony's mind but without a normal pony to compare it to, its not as shocking or unique as it should be. If one of the mane 6 helps Twilight and Renic understand that they are different aspects of the same pony and neither of them will "die" if they become one being again, it allows for the different aspects to go through "a day in the life" and play their roles to set the stage for when something unique or challenging happens.
just some thoughts. :pinkiehappy:

1391030

Hmm, interesting ideas. I'll definitely bring somepony to contrast with. I also really like the idea of exploring the whole dying thing. I might try out the "id, ego and superego" fun, but the question is, which is Renic?

1391053 http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego,_and_super-ego
Renis is the super ego, where Twilight is the Ego, the part of her mind we see and she presents to the world. the Id would be her base desires. governed by the 4 Fs, Flee, Fight, Feed, and procreation. the Id can be more complicated but the idea is that the Id is our most base instincts.

I think I can see why you think the quality is receding due to this chapter being a short intro to Twilight's new "situation" coupled with the brevity. I think you might find the story becoming more engaging once you get her out and about, say, for getting groceries and being talked to. As far as I can tell, the story is still warming up. I hope you keep going until you find out what you want to do with the it.

Just a quick question, will you continue this? Or is it cancelled? I'm just curious since I'm currently sorting out my favorites.

Login or register to comment