• Published 24th Oct 2022
  • 577 Views, 46 Comments

Sea Dreams - Odd_Sarge



Sea Swirl, Sergeant Reckless, and Screw Loose. They're all broken, but together.

  • ...
2
 46
 577

9 - Chased With Serenity

“It was almost hard to believe it was over as quick as it’d come. You’d almost think it was an hour-long, episodic nightmare. That it wasn’t real. And we would wake up, eventually.”

“But it was very real.”

“Mm. It dug up... a lot for me and my friends. Things that going back to sleep can’t make you forget. That was probably even more real.”

“I’m sorry it keeps happening.”

“It’s okay. I’m working through it, this time. We’re working through it. Together.”

“That’s good. I’m glad you’ve made some friends here in Ponyville, Sea Swirl.”

“Me too, Sparkler. I really don’t think I could get here without them.”

“You know how much I’ve always prided myself on my plans. But no matter how much planning you do, without others to back you up, best laid plans can fall right through. It’s much the same for dealing with the kind of life you’ve lived.”

“...I’m still really happy you’re here, Sparkler.”

“You always needed more than me. I’m just one grumpy, organization-savvy pony.”

“But you never let me fall right through. Me, the worst laid pony.”

“I’d never considered that angle.” Sparkler smiled, then bowed her neck down to Sea Swirl. “But I could never let the sea drown in her own sadness.”

Sea Swirl met her neck hug in kind.

“I might be a semi-permanent Ponyville mare, now, but that doesn’t mean I’m a semi-permanent friend. Do you remember why I recommended Ponyville to you in the first place?”

“Of course I do, Sparkler.”

“Then you know just as well that there’s no better time to get out and make some more friends.”

“This is just your way of telling me you’re busy again.”

“Oh, come on, Sisi, when you put it like that...”

Sea Swirl giggled. “I’m joking, Sparkler.”

“Aw, you’ve got a little joking side to you, now? That’s not the Sea Swirl I know! You’re either snippy and sarcastic, or all morose.”

“Well, you have to act, if you want to live in a different world.”

“Wise words.”

They both stood. The breeze stroked gently across their backs, carrying the sound of a town in rest and recuperation: hammers thudding, carts wheeling, laden hooves plodding. It was a peace, at least. There was purpose, and there was the aura of hope for a better future. A bounce back to the state Ponyville had looped itself back to time, and time again. The state of a village over a hundred years in the making, ready to make, and make again.

“Sparkler. A year or two ago, when you first brought up Ponyville... I wasn’t really sure it was the best idea.”

“And today?”

“I don’t think there’s ever been a place to stand to make me as hopeful as I am right now.”

“I wish I could really show you just how glad I am to hear that, Sea Swirl.”

“You taking time to find me after everything that just happened was enough trust earned.”

Sea Swirl pulled Sparkler into another hug. Her Canterlot visitor came without fuss.

“You’re gonna make me cry, you silly, silly sea pony.”

“It’s good for you,” Sea Swirl whispered back.

When they separated, Sparkler wiped at the corners of her eyes with a fetlock. She laughed lightly. “Next time, I’ll be sure to add more time for you. I’ve got a lot of organizing to help out with, still.”

“I promise I won’t keep you for so long, next time.”

“You didn’t, and you wouldn’t, Sisi. What else are friends for? As long as we’re together, we may as well have all the time in the world.”

It hurt Sea Swirl, then, to watch her friend start to go. A thousand paths crossed her mind: ways to continue their mutual exchange, to continue to invest in each other in that moment. She’d let her go, once, even though it was at Sparkler’s suggestion, and even ended up being one of the most positive seeds for growth in Sea Swirl’s life. At yet another seemingly crucial moment, did she want to—?

“Sea Swirl?”

She blinked at her friend standing there, not even twenty hooves away, leering back with a smug grin.

“If you’re just going to be moping around the rest of the day, then at least come mope around town with me.”

Yes... She could put off the anxiety waiting just around the corner.

For now, things were good.


“Who that pony was?”

“That would be the pony from the neighboring farm: Miss Carrot Top.”

“Carrot house?”

Big Mac nudged Reckless. He grinned at her glance. “Eeyup.”

Applejack laughed. “Okay, slight correction: that would be the carrot mare, with the carrot house.”

Distantly, a great chattering whine and retort sounded from the Sweet Apple Acres’ farmhouse. The three ponies at present paused to listen, all ears raised high, and hairs on end.

“Granny not happy,” Reckless bellyached, lowering her head and scuffing the earth.

“Maybe. I don’t rightly believe she’s too upset, by the sound of things.” By compare, Applejack squinted off, at the farmhouse, head high. “Are you afraid of Granny, Reckless?”

“No. I just respect much.”

“I see...” Applejack turned back to Reckless and Big Mac, and found herself pausing. She squinted at the two of them.

Both of them were low to the dirt, now. She’d always seen a bit of similarity in some of their behaviors, especially with Reckless and Screw Loose spending more and more time on the farm. But more curiously, Big Mac was... whispering to her.

When Reckless let out an honest to earth giggle, and—without obvious smoke and mirrors—bashfully bumped against Big Mac, with her ears tweaking themselves back to a relaxed state, Applejack let a brow raise high.

“You got something funny to share with me too, Big Macintosh?”

The big red stallion rose sharp and quick. “...Nope.”

Reckless rose slow and proud, a warm tinge across her next words. “Your brother... share funny words.”

“Oh, really?” Applejack knew when there was more truth to be found. But she levied her suspicions on the one pony present that she could really doubt; Reckless was anything but a privy sort. She stared at Big Mac. “And just how long were you planning on keeping that between you and Miss Reckless?”

Big Mac, hewing on his straw, managed to keep the red in his face at a normal level. “...A while.”

“Is this something I need to send you to Granny for?”

Surprisingly, Big Mac’s brows furrowed. “Well, it’d make more sense to go to Granny.” He steadied his stance. “If she were in charge of paying out bits for labor and the like.”

“What?”

“I’ve been thinking.”

Oh boy. Applejack tugged on her stetson. “Aw, hay. You? Thinking? What’s it in your head this time, Big Mac?”

“Well, ’specially after all this ‘Discord’ business, I think the mares we have working on the farm ‘ought to be paid a fair bit for their work.”

“When Sea Swirl introduced them to us, she was asking us a favor.”

“And right now, they’ve been doing us a favor.” Big Mac shifted, adjusting himself to put himself right before Applejack. “Do you think rejamming, reboarding, and rebucking on Sweet Apple Acres is doing them any favors in Ponyville? I know you were mighty occupied, but be real honest, Applejack. Did we Apples take it the hardest?”

“Well...” Applejack glanced around at the orchard. It took less than a moment for her to settle, because the truth was long standing. “I reckon not.”

“We... not have much.” Reckless stepped up, easing Big Mac out of the way. Her voice was soft, but not too reserved. “Ponyville take good care, yes. Hospital, best. But Sea Swirl work much. Lately, not so. Would help for...” She turned to Big Mac. “How you say?”

Big Mac’s eyes didn’t stray from Applejack. “A fair pay.”

“Not want ask. But Big Mac say should.”

“I don’t...” Applejack sighed and shook her head. “Big Mac, just what are you planning to do with this poor mare?”

“Planning nothing. Maybe I just want my own friend to stand for.”

The two siblings stared one another down.

...

“Fine. I’ll... work something in for them.” Applejack chewed over her bottom lip. She leaned back. “Honest work deserves honest pay.”

“Eeyup.”

Reckless bowed her head gracefully. “Thank, Applejack.”

“Don’t thank me, sugarcube. Thank Big Macintosh, here.”

“I have.”

Applejack decided that she’d done enough thinking in the last five minutes, and there was no room to consider those two words.

“Phew. Okay, let’s get back to it, you two. Twilight and the rest of us might’ve untopsy-turvy’d things, but there’s plenty more to set right.”


Screw Loose was having the best time ever.

Yesterday, arguably, had been the worst time ever.

But no, today... Oh yes! Today was definitely the best time ever!

“Move yer caboose, Applebloom!”

The filly in question, stopped briefly to giggle back. “I’m trying, Granny, I’m trying! Screwy’s just too good!”

Running circles around her camp-stove and pot with ladle in mouth, Screw Loose soaked in the extra joy from hearing others around her. It always felt good to not feel alone. It felt even better when they were doing things! And even better when it was the same thing!

“I reckon we might just keep Screw Loose on the farm, and have you come visit from time to time!”

“Granny!” Applebloom whined from around her own ladle. “Don’t say that!”

A moment later, Screw Loose heard the familiar ‘pat-pat-pat-pat’ of paws behind her. She didn’t dare open her mouth to greet the fun friend that was Winona. But Winona barked twice, and joined her in their little run around.

Round and round they went, never sickening, never tiring. Just having fun.

This was the life for Screw Loose. Good company, and good fun. A good time.

Even as she finally did slow, cantering away to rest in front of Granny Smith, she earned a good brush of her mane, and a cooing compliment by the old mare.

Sometimes, especially in times now long past, it’d been hard to understand what her hoof-walking friends were saying to her. But ever since she’d come to the fun place—the “farm”—she could hardly stop herself from thinking all the time about every little detail. With Granny Smith, and certain things Applejack brought her, work could be fun! And with her bestest friends Winona and Applebloom, they could just be fun! There was hardly a moment on the farm where Screw Loose didn’t see herself having a good time.

That was probably why the worst time of every day was leaving the farm.

It wasn’t that it wasn’t fun with just Sea Swirl and Reckless; together, they all understood each other, and knew just how to make each other feel better! But to Screw Loose, deep down, it felt like she lacked... something. She could feel it in the way they looked at and spoke to her sometimes, when they thought she wasn’t paying attention. Never bad, but always worried. Screw Loose didn’t like being a disappointment. She wanted to be a good...

Granny Smith leaned forward again in her chair, and once more brushed the sitting Screw Loose. “Aren’t you just the sweetest little pony?”

Sea Swirl didn’t thump her tail. Nor did she bark for joy. Instead, she smiled, and leaned into the goodness.

Yes, a good, sweet little pony. That was something worth striving for.

And if it made her friends happier for her to be that way, then it was something to definitely accept looking into.

Comments ( 3 )

Does Reckless appear in any stories with an adventure and/or dark tag?

11807088
Not this particular take on her but you can try:
Awesome Police Do Equestria by Rob
A Reckless Mare by Tango

Well it looks like they are recovering even though Discord's actions brought back bad memories.

Login or register to comment