• Published 24th Oct 2022
  • 577 Views, 46 Comments

Sea Dreams - Odd_Sarge



Sea Swirl, Sergeant Reckless, and Screw Loose. They're all broken, but together.

  • ...
2
 46
 577

6 - A Warmer Winter

“Reckless?”

Thunk. “Sea Swirl.”

“You never told me you didn’t like dogs.”

Ka-thunk. “No.”

The pause stretched, broken only by another hollow thunk of firewood in the fireplace. Reckless slowly reached to the metal stand aside the stoked flames, her long and muscled neck bulging on display for her friends across the way. With the fire iron clenched in her sturdy mouth vice, Reckless continued to tend to the ever-warmed hearth. Her voice was silent, and to be completely fair, Sea Swirl knew she shouldn’t have asked.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to dredge up any bad memories.” Sea Swirl turned her eyes away. Her hooves had long since found purchase grooming along the resting form of Screwy. She smoothed out the tuckered mare’s blanket, and placed a gentle scratch between her ears with the tip of her hoof.

After another moment, the fire iron clinked. “Not what mean.”

“But Granny Smith told me about the way you’ve been acting around Winona.”

“Winona?” Reckless tried the name. She shook her head and started making her way over to her own couch. Her eyes stayed glued ahead. “No, no. Like dogs, now.” She paused in thought. “You... maybe we talk.”

Sea Swirl didn’t exactly like the warhorse’s demeanor—it worried her to see her speak without eye contact—but she still relished in the small satisfaction that came from hearing those words. “I’d really like that, Reckless.”

The couch aside creaked as Reckless settled in. Screwy fussed slightly in her dreams, but the moment passed. The crackling of the fire took control of the space.

Sea Swirl wasn’t one for fire, but she watched the lapping flames in the reflections of Reckless’ eyes; Reckless would always be there, but it was a blessing like no other to see Morning Flame.

“But no need make doc talk. Know story already. Trauma, they say. Disorder. No... I know orders.”

Sea Swirl shuddered. “How do you... know?”

“Doc not think I listen. But I hear all.” Reckless’ ear flicked. “Pony not know war. Maybe different choice, work more. Maybe find... new marine.”

“Would you really want that?”

“Would be happy. But happy here.” Reckless breathed heavily, then turned to look at Sea Swirl.

Those eyes... it was enough to make Sea Swirl’s breath hitch.

The hurt finally shone through.

“No like carry soldier, Sea Swirl. Blood, no blood, it not matter. But carry soldier, because carry soldier my purpose. Why I here. If not fight, who fight? Who carry you?”

“...But who carries you when you need help most, Reckless?”

The ex-sergeant’s eyes softened. “I carry. If was good marine, would not be alone.”

“You...” Sea Swirl paused, then sharply inhaled. “You could teach me to think the way you do. I wouldn’t mind being your voice, if you’ll be my eyes and ears.”

“How mean?”

Sea Swirl slowed in her ministrations, causing Screwy to let loose a low groan. When she replied, she turned her hoof in slow circles across the blankets. “I don’t want you to carry that weight all on your own. You may have had the company of others when you were in the ‘Marines’, but you didn’t have a way to tell them you needed relief. They just had to know. But now, now you can tell somepony. And I want to be that somepony.”

Reckless’ upper lip curled and twitched the longer she looked at Sea Swirl.

Sea Swirl stared right back. “I mean it, Reckless. I really do want to help you, because you already help me. So please, let’s sit down, and really make sure we’re doing this together.”

The warhorse puffed from her nostrils.

“Please?”

Outside the defrosting window pane, ponies in the snow passed. They hurried along with bright smiles, all while more snow stuck close to the yarns and thread across their backs. Screwy’s ears perked at the sound of their laughter, but she didn’t open her eyes, or budge an extra inch.

“Okay.”

“Thank you.”

Sea Swirl leaned back, but she patiently awaited the next words out of Reckless’ mouth. The warhorse was slow to start, but the thoughts in her head were the kind that kept the princesses awake at night.

“Many marine. So many, many, marine. Not know them, then. They find me. Take me. Then, no more race. But... still train. Different train. Step for war. Hoofcamp. Step for marine. Doc. Gunny. Lieutenant. Race for them.” Reckless seemed to lose her speed somewhat.

Sea Swirl briefly stepped back in. “But what happened to your family? Your old family, I mean. Surely that hurt?”

“Family?” Reckless paused, and then much to Sea Swirl’s surprise, made a very pony motion: she rubbed at her jaw with the back of her fetlock. Her lower lip flapped loosely, save for when she spoke again. “Yes... not happy. But necessary. Had to leave, fight. Go so family live.”

That was better than nothing. “Did you ever see them again?”

“No.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It okay,” she breathed deep, and topped it with a snort. “He knew he would not see me.” Reckless turned her head down. “But still happier to train war.”

“You didn’t have a choice, did you?”

“No choice. Only owner make choice.” Reckless’ hoof tapped against her couch. She looked up to meet Sea Swirl’s watchful gaze. “Was good owner. Feed me. Name me. Teach me... Love me.”

Sea Swirl swallowed thickly. Love, but... “Your family... h-he owned you?”

“Better owner than no owner. Korea not so safe, then. Even when go, not so safe. Hard time everywhere. Hard life for all man. But luck give me and him chance for better life, even if mean... lose family.”

“For a new one,” Sea Swirl corrected.

“For new one, yes.”

Sea Swirl didn’t think it so bad, until she realized that Reckless had likely been sold off to her new family. “I... see.”

She realized then, that understanding her friend’s world was going to be a life-altering journey. Her preconceptions of the way things were just wouldn’t hold water to the wounded warhorse.

“You see?” Reckless’ ears flopped as she looked about the living room. “See what?”

“I meant that I understand what you mean. You both did what you had to.”

“Yes. We serve. Fight for what matter.”

“...Friends?” Sea Swirl hazarded a guess.

Reckless smiled, and firmly nodded. “Friends.”

Holding onto friendship was important in a world that saw war. That didn’t mean it wasn’t as important, here. But Sea Swirl could tell that this was a tenuous path for Reckless, and it needed to be followed.

But she had to move slowly. Steadily. Uphill.

Sea Swirl returned the smile, and gently replied. “I’m glad we’re friends, Reckless.”

Author's Note:

Reckless wishes you a good Memorial Day.