• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,147 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,147

PreviousChapters Next
The Noble Knight

Castle Duel Arena
Yugi, Sunset, Joey, Mektaveus, Blue Blood, Luthor, Tea, Bakura, Tristan, Thunder, Arctic, and Sonata made it to the balcony. Pegasus was already standing on the red side while Shining was making his way up to the blue side now.

“Isn’t it rude not to greet someone who’s willing to fulfill your request?” Pegasus questioned. “I was even gracious enough to already be here before calling you in. That’s more than Kaiba-boy was afforded.”

“You know exactly what you deserve.” Shining arrived at his side. “For everything I know you’ve done, and the things I still don’t know.”

“You don’t have the full picture, yet you are content to sit atop a high horse?” Pegasus questioned. “If it helps, Kaiba-boy wasn’t exactly the nicest of people either.”

“Whoever you say he was doesn’t matter in the face of everything you did to him.” Shining retorted. “Anyone who cares about their younger siblings like he did can’t be all bad. I doubt it’s worse than kidnapping his brother, stealing his soul, and then taking Seto’s soul.”

“He did what!?” Thunder exclaimed in shock.

“What the heck is he talking about?” Arctic questioned as he looked at everyone. “This is all just some type of performance, right?”

Considering what Sonata knew, even if she didn’t know how Pegasus did it, she kept quiet.

“You need to get with the program.” Luthor retorted, tired of their questions. “No one else is flipping out, so that should tell you the so-called champ down there is speaking facts.”

“While he could put it nicer, Luthor isn’t lying.” Mektaveus voiced. “I still don’t quite understand everything myself, but a lot has happened to the point that I can’t conjure many more excuses.”

“Wait, the creator of duel monsters is actually a bad guy?” Thunder questioned.

“The fact that you’re still questioning this only proves you’re ineptitude.” Luthor retorted.

“Okay, I’m getting tired of you…” Arctic began angrily.

By this point, Luthor was starting to lose his patience. Granted, he’s technically brought this on himself by being unable to let go of what Blue Blood did, but the Gladiator Beast user saw no other path. The Drytron user was the reason he and Maxie were where they are now.

“Why don’t you help your brother use what few brain cells he has rather than getting on my case for saying the truth?” Luthor questioned as he approached the Fortune Lady user.

“Considering how violence has worked out before, are you willing to keep…” Arctic began.

“I think you’re missing some information.” Luthor grabbed him by the shirt before lifting the Fortune Lady user a few inches above the ground. “Blue Blood’s monstrous strength does not denote me as weak.”

Pegasus and Shining turned towards the commotion with the former commenting, “Looks like tensions are boiling over.”

“Aren’t you going to do something?” Shining asked.

“I could; however, I get the feeling this will be resolved momentarily.” Pegasus responded.

“Let go of my brother!” Thunder yelled.

He grabbed onto Luthor’s right arm attempting to pull it.

Sonata came up on his left. “Luthor, put him down.”

The Gladiator Beast user just growled as Joey, Tristan, and Mektaveus prepared to step in.

“Forget this.” Luthor dropped Arctic before pushing Thunder away sending him crashing to his butt. “You people aren’t worth anything, so I’m heading to the hallway which leads to the blue side.” He glared at Blue Blood. “You better be on the red side the moment this duel ends.”

“I said I’d duel, so I’ll duel.” Blue Blood replied simply.

With that, Luthor stormed off while Joey and Tristan helped Sonata get the brother pair on their feet again.

“That guy has serious issues.” Bakura commented.

“Even if he’s not the nicest, I think we know why he’s acting this way.” Mektaveus voiced.

Despite anyone who was about to step in, none of them could deny Blue Blood seemed to have seriously wronged Luthor. Whatever he did to the guy must have been something warranting the reactions they’ve seen.

At this point, Pegasus spoke up. “If the situation is under control, there is a duel that was supposed happen.” Whether they were ready for it or not, this brought the remaining people to the railing as they looked down on the arena. “Good, you’re ready to observe.”

“Since we’re focusing back on the duel, I don’t understand why Shining Armor is doing this.” Bakura commented.

“Yeah, is he really that upset by what happened to Kaiba?” Joey asked.

“Seto is only part of the reason I want this.” Shining declared without taking his eyes off Pegasus. “I’ll admit, the fact that you beat him likely means I don’t stand a chance. Perhaps those still in this tournament are the only ones who do.

In the end, I can’t simply step aside. Too often, the older generation pushes the problems of the world onto the youth expecting them to create solutions. No matter the situation, I refuse to be one of those people. I have skills that can help, so I’ll use them.”

“Despite being content with where I am, I can’t help but wonder what could have been had he been around during the Anon-a-Miss situation.” Sunset thought.

Everyone was touched that he was this passionate about helping them. The only exception to any of this was Blue Blood who could care less.

“A nice speech, but let’s see if any of it gets you anywhere.” Pegasus stated.

“Let’s Duel!”

(Shining 2000/Pegasus 2000)

“I’ll be going first.” Shining drew leaving no room for argument. “I’ll start with Merlin(LV 3/1400/500).” An old spellcaster in purple robes appeared wielding a staff. “This card has quite a few tricks which you must be familiar with.

The one I’ll use now is his ability to tribute himself to special summon any Noble Knight I wish from my deck.” Shining Armor knew this was a risky move considering it could reveal that card he added. “In the end, I don’t have a choice.”

“Hm?” Pegasus’ eyes was picking up on something. “So, you put a special card in your deck? Well, just what is…he slipped a card in his deck without knowing what it truly is? Has he caught onto my eye? I’ll need to wait until he sees it to learn what it is.”

If Pegasus didn’t have outside stimulation, he could press the powers of the Millenium Eye to see about gaining a clearer picture. As things stood, he couldn’t delve further than learning there was a special card to be wary of.

Still, it was only mildly worrying until he could discern more. Shinning picked up his deck and fortunately found the monster he wanted sooner rather than later. For now, he’d managed to keep his final gambit secret if the small signs he noticed from Pegasus were anything to go by.

“Someone’s looking mildly uncomfortable.” Shining noted as his general idea on what was going on here became more concrete. “The monster I chose was Noble Knight Iyvanne(LV 4/1700/1600).” A red headed warrior in green armor appeared.

“My warriors tend to work at their best when they dip into my arsenal, so I’ll equip him with Noble Arms-Caliburn which grants my monster 500 more ATK and I gain 500 life points once per turn.” Noble Knight Iyvanne(LV 4/2200/1600 effect) (Shining 2500/Pegasus 2000).”

“Whoa, that’s some opening move.” Joey commented impressed.

“Yeah, no wonder he’s a champ.” Tristan agreed.

“That’s not the end of this combo.” Shining continued. “Once per turn, when Ivyanne is equipped with a Noble Arms, I can special summon a Noble Knight Token(LV 4/1000/1000).” A knight in grey armor appeared.

“Ivyanne also has one last effect granting all other Noble Knights 500 ATK when he’s equipped with at least 1 Noble Arms.” Noble Knight Token(LV 4/1500/1000 effect). “With that, I’ll end my turn turning things over to you.”

“Just like that, he’s pretty much gotten two equips off for the price of one.” Bakura voiced. “Not to mention two monsters as well.”

“It’s a solid first turn and exactly what he needed to come out swinging given who Pegasus has already beat.” Mektaveus declared.

“I’ll admit that was a solid first turn.” Pegasus chuckled as he drew. “It’s almost a shame that I must dismantle such a lovingly crafted board.”

“What are you talking about?” Shining asked.

“Observe.” Pegasus retorted. “I summon Red-Eyes Toon Dragon(LV 7/2400/2000).” A cartoonish black dragon with red eyes appeared.

“There he goes again using toon version of our monsters.” Joey declared angrily.

“Is that the theme of his deck?” Arctic inquired.

“Basically.” Sunset responded. “He’s studied all of us throughout this tournament and decided to create an archetype around them.”

“He’s also thrown in some Toon versions of cards he made on request of a kid who loves the game to.” Tea added.

“Just as your knight provides you with a monster so can my dragon.” Pegasus continued. “Once per turn, provided it’s not another of it, I can special summon any Toon from my hand. I choose Odd-Eyes Toon Dragon(LV 7/2500/2000).” A red toon dragon with weird eyes appeared.

“Think that dragon is somehow linked to Starving Venom?” Bakura asked.

“I do get that feeling.” Sunset responded. “That means it’s bound to have a potent effect.”

“With these two, I can wipe your field.” Pegasus chuckled. “Red-Eyes destroy Ivyanne with toon fire blast.”

A small sphere of fire was shot at Ivyanne destroying him (Shining 2300/Pegasus 2000).

Noble Knight Token(LV 4/1000/1000)

“Most of my equips come with a secondary effect that when their destroyed and sent to the grave, I can equip them to another Warrior-type Noble Knight.” Shining declared. “I’ll equip it to my Noble Knight Token(LV 1500/1000 effect) to protect some life points.”

“That would have worked wonders against an average monster with 2500 ATK, but my Odd-Eyes Toon Dragon is hardly average.” Pegasus retorted. “I will admit, you are about to stop yourself from losing right here.”

“What do you mean?” Shining asked.

“I’ll just show you.” Pegasus responded. “Odd-Eyes Toon Dragon destroy that token with spiral toon strike.”

Odd-Eyes fired a cartoonish red breath attack destroying Noble Knight Token (Shining 300/Pegasus 2000). Seeing how much his life points fell shook Shining Armor to his very core. He wasn’t the only one as everyone on the balcony was stunned.

“What gives!?” Joey exclaimed. “Shining should have one thousand more life points that that!”

“It’s the effect of Odd-Eyes Toon Dragon.” Pegasus grinned. “Whatever battle damage he manages to inflict is doubled.”

“Is that an effect monsters can have, or has Pegasus just given himself a huge edge?” Tristan asked.

“No, there are monsters capable of doing that, as well as more, aside from the only one of its kind Pegasus has.” Yugi informed. “It’s a dangerous ability to be sure and one that’s just put Shining on the back foot.”

“I believe that is all I can do.” Pegasus stated. “It’s your move.”

“If I hadn’t opened with Caliburn, I’d have already lost.” Shining was in shock, but he quickly shook his head since he couldn’t lose it at a time like this. “No, I just got to keep going.” He drew. “That was a strong combo you pulled off, but this duel isn’t over yet.”

“Well, that’s a troubling card he’s just drawn in conjunction with the cards he already has in his hand.” Pegasus noted. “Though, I highly doubt this is the card he’s worried about me knowing of.”

“I summon a potent combo maker in Noble Knight Artorigus(LV 4/1800/1800).” A warrior in white armor appeared. “While he has no effect, he’s a natural inclusion for his combo potential. For instance, since he’s a light normal monster, I can special summon many monsters.

One such monster is Noble Knight Gawayn(LV 4/1900/500).” An orange armored warrior appeared. “With these two monsters, I construct the overlay network to bring about a king whose power rebounds all who opposes him.

Xyz summon Sacred Noble Knight of King Custennin(R 4/O 2/1500/2500).” A mighty warrior in white and gold armor appeared. “With his effect, I can detach overlay units to bounce monsters you control back to the hand. I’ll detach both to rid the field of your dragons.”

Sacred Noble Knight of King Custennin(R 4/O 0/1500/2500) gave a mighty yell as both his overlay units flowed into his blade before he thrust it into the ground. Holy light flowed forth hitting both dragons and removing them from the field.

“What good does that do?” Thunder asked. “On Pegasus’ next turn, he can simply pull off the same combo.”

“Someone like Shining Armor wouldn’t make a mistake.” Yugi responded. “He has a plan.”

“Now, I activate Card Destruction forcing us to send our entire hands to the grave and draw until we hold the same number of cards we held previously.” Shining continued.

“That is a smart play.” Arctic smiled. “Despite having to give his opponent two more cards than intended, he got rid of two troublesome monsters in one sweep.”

Both players discarded their current hands and drew to replace them.

“What an annoying two cards he managed to draw.” Pegasus noted. “All I can do is attempt to offset their advantage to him, and it’s likely to reveal more than I want him to know. Still, I can’t play worse to mislead him. That’s not how games are meant to be played.”

“These work.” Shining thought happily. “I now set two cards and end my turn.”

“My move.” Pegasus drew. “I believe now is the right time to reveal a little something I gifted my higher level Toons. In exchange for locking myself out of any special summons for the rest of the turn, I can in turn special summon any one of them.

Given I know how annoying your monster can still be, I’ll use that ability to summon Toon Black Luster Soldier(LV 8/3000/2500).” A toon soldier in blue and gold armor appeared. “I believe you should be familiar with a version of this monster given Yugi beat you with one.”

“I’m familiar.” Shining nodded. “This turn might just confirm my theory depending on how he plays it.”

“Then, I shall only make you wait a moment before utilizing him.” Pegasus declared. “First, I can still normal summon, and I’m using it on my Toon Masked Sorcerer(LV 4/900/1400).” A cartoonish sorcerer appeared.

“It’s starting to look more like my theory is right.” Shining stared down at his set cards. “I have Balance of Judgement and Enchanted Javelin face down. With the way Pegasus is playing, it’s like he knows exactly what I played.”

“He’s certainly a smart one.” Pegasus noted. “I now activated my soldier’s effect. In exchange for giving up his attack, I can banish any one monster on your field. Given your Custennin’s recursion, I’ll use such an ability on him. You’re not safe as my sorcerer can attack directly.”

“Oh no, if that attack goes off, Shining Armor loses.” Sonata voiced.

“I flip my first face down Enchanted Javelin granting me life points equal to the ATK of 1 attacking monster meaning I’m still in this.” Shining declared.

As Toon Masked Sorcerer came in for the attack, he was nailed by a javelin which then sent a healing green glow Shining’s way (Shining 1200/Pegasus 2000). Then, Shining was hit by a cartoonish blast (Shining 300/Pegasus 2000).

“You’ve just shown me your hand Pegasus.” Shining Armor declared firmly. “I’ve narrowed down just what your golden eye does. That means all that’s left is to narrow down its weakness.” He looked at the balcony. “Everyone up there who is still in this, pay close attention.”

“What does he mean?” Joey questioned.

“I understand.” Yugi stated. “Shining has been aiming to win, but he’s had a secondary objective this whole time.”

“I get it as well.” Sunset nodded. “Shining Armor has used that prior duel to pick at Pegasus and figure out his abilities.”

Everyone else just looked at them not quite understanding.

“I must admit, you’re quite the clever one Shining Armor, but there is no weakness to my eye.” Pegasus retorted.

“We’ll just have to see about that.” Shining Armor retorted. “I now activate my last face down Balance of Judgement. This trap requires that you control more cards than I have on the field and in my hand. Once that’s met, I can draw equal to the surplus.

Balance of Judgement counts towards the number of cards I control, and I have nothing in my hand, which means I get one draw.” Shining did just that. “This one card is perfect depending on what I next draw.”

“That won’t help.” Pegasus chuckled. “You’re between a rock and a hard place, Shining-boy. You have one card in your hand while nothing is left on your field, and you haven’t even taken one of my life points. If you think you have a shot, then let’s see it. I end my turn.”

“In this game, one card is all any duelist needs to turn everything around.” Shining put his hand on his deck ready to draw. “As things stand, I actually get two to use this turn, so let’s see what I get together.”

He took a deep breath as he banked everything on this next draw. “My move!” His eyes widened as he saw what card he’d gotten. “It’s one of the cards Twili gave me to help retain my title! What do you think of that, Pegasus!”

“That was the card he’s been building up all this time!” Pegasus thought to himself, unable to hide his shock.

“There is your weakness!” Shining pointed at him. “Your golden eye allows you to read your opponent’s mind which means you only know as much about their current deck and hand as they do. As the creator of the game, you obviously know every card.

What you can’t predict is what cards someone will slot into their deck which is where that eye of yours comes into play. What happens when a duelist has no way of knowing what card is in their deck themselves? It means you can’t know either.”

For the first time in this tournament, Pegasus wasn’t in control, and he was livid. “Even if you’ve figured all of that out, it means nothing in the face of what you really wanted. Those two cards in your hand can’t help your secure victory which means you get nothing.”

“My main goals can’t be achieved, but I still exposed you giving those kids a better chance at doing what I can’t. Not to mention, this card I just drew will show the potential there is in beating you.” Shining grinned. “What’s more, I take it you can’t steal my soul unless you win.”

“He just completely unwound Pegasus’ whole deal.” Tristan declared triumphantly.

“Way to go Shining!” Mektaveus cheered.

Pegasus glared at Shining Armor as even though he refused to play down from the level he was at, he hadn’t expected so much to be out in the open. “Just finish your turn.”

“Very well.” Shining stated. “First, I activate Monster Reborn to revive my Noble Knight Artorigus(LV 4/1800/1800). Then, I set one card ending my turn.”

“I can’t believe this happened.” Pegasus thought as his hand hovered over his deck.

“Now, I activate my face down Ring of Destruction and equip it to your Toon Black Luster Soldier.” Shining declared. “This trap detonates destroying the monster and dealing us both damage equal to his ATK (Shinning 0/Pegasus 0).”

“To top it all off, Shining just hedged out a tie.” Sonata declared genuinely excited.

“He revealed more than I wanted, but this is still my island.” Pegasus took a deep breath to collect himself. “You did disrupt my plans Shining Armor, but you still lost before the top 6. With this duel concluded, you are no longer welcome on my island.”

Two of Pegasus’ men came on down the blue side’s walkway.

“I expected as much, but I still achieved something.” Shining looked to the balcony and nodded. “I got the information on you out to them, and I’m confident those who went further in this tournament can use it to stop you.”

“We’ll just have to see about that.” Pegasus turned away as the men led Shining Armor out.

“That Shining Armor is one cool guy.” Joey noted.

Yugi nodded. “Now, it’s up to whichever us wins this tournament to put what he gave us to use.”

“Yeah.” Mektaveus agreed. “We can’t let all his hard work go to waste.”

“We won’t.” Sunset voiced.

“Well, you four can’t.” Blue Blood walked over to the stairs. “As for Luthor and I, I don’t predict we’ll be around.” He looked back with a smile. “Considering I intend to leave after my business with Luthor concludes down there, good luck. Especially to you, Sunset and Yugi.”

The two named duelists shared a look as after all this time they had no idea what Blue Blood’s interest in them seemed to mean. They may not come close to figuring it out at this rate. Especially if the Drytron user could make good on his word in his coming duel.

With Pegasus
Pegasus walked out the red side’s door before looking at Croquet who stood within this hallway dutifully. “Oversee the duel between Blue Blood and Luthor. I have work to do.”

“Yes, Master Pegasus.” Croquet answered.

“Shining Armor became a thorn in my side, so it’s best I complete a little project that will be ready in time to greet whoever wins this.” Pegasus chuckled. “Even if they know the secret of my eye, my deck can still hold many of its own.”

In his mind, he could see a ritual card containing the portrait of a monstrous spellcaster that truly fell in line with his philosophy of giving level/rank 1 monster devastating effects. While it would be the center piece of his new cards, others to bolster it were quickly coming to mind.

Author's Note:

Despite creating some powerful cards, there at least seemed to be a level of fairness. At the very least, there are ways to overcoem them. As such, I think of Pegasus as someone who wouldn't undercut his own capabilities just to mislead someone who is onto him.

That's more of Marik's schtick before his yami side came out. As for the ending, I believe Pegasus said he created Relinquished for that final duel. Here he now has a reason to create it as a level of insurance after the thorn Shining was.

PreviousChapters Next