• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,146 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,146

PreviousChapters Next
Top 6 Convene

Castle Courtyard
Shining walked into the courtyard, and Kemo approached him. “Ah, there you are Shining Armor. Master Pegasus has drawn a conclusion on what you would possibly want by coming back up here.”

“Is that so?” Shining asked.

“Given who you are, it wasn’t hard.” Kemo smiled. “Consider yourself fortunate because he has decided to grant your wish. You can duel him if you’re willing to put what Seto Kaiba did on the line, your soul.”

If Shining Armor were honest, he knew what he had little chance of getting a duel against Pegasus. The fact that the creator would even allow it meant in some way he’d become part of Pegasus’ machinations. Whether they were minuscule or larger was unknown.

Considering a duel with Pegasus is exactly what he wanted, there was only one thing left to say before he agreed. “If I win, this whole tournament ends, every soul he has is returned to their proper body, and everyone, captured or not, is free to leave.”

Before Kemo could speak, Pegasus spoke to him through his microphone.

When his master was done, Kemo nodded. “Pegasus agrees to your terms.”

“Since he agrees, I’ll agree to his own terms in kind.” Shining stated.

“Then, follow me.” Kemo walked with the Noble Knight user. “I’ll take you to the doors you’ll enter once Pegasus is ready to duel you.”

Castle
As Shining followed Kemo through the castle, he pulled out a stack of cards. “Twilight would never use these in her deck, but she gave them to me in hopes they’d allow me to retain my title. Problem is, I’d never use such cards for the same reason as her.

Now, these cards might be the only way I could potentially pull one over on Pegasus while simultaneously exposing potential flaws in what he knows about the opponent’s deck during a duel.”

Shining began shuffling the small stack ensuring he had no idea what card he’d pick. Kemo merely smirked thinking the American champion was merely going to add some new cards into his deck and chuckling at the thought of any of them overcoming Pegasus.

Once Shining was content that the small stack was shuffled, he randomly took a card out and put it within his own deck. “Even as I aim to expose your secrets, those kids won’t need them. I will beat you Pegasus and bring an end to all of this.”

Dining Room
Pegasus had every intention of dealing with Shining Armor’s request soon enough. After all, it should be a nice reminder for Yugi-boy on just what he was capable of. Of course, he’d simply need to bide his time until everyone returned. Might as well make a show like with Kaiba.

In the meantime, he could turn his attention to one of the problems that had cropped up on his island. Sonata, Luthor, and Sunset Shimmer were people he could not investigate the distant memories of through forces that seemed at least on par with the power of a Millenium Item.

He could still certainly use it in the present time, like with anyone else, but this presented potential danger to his future. Given the startling vision of the three gods he made cards, and three gods he hadn’t, he needed information. After all, he wanted the world to persist.

What would be the point of returning his beloved to life if everything came crashing down some time in the future? Then, there were the two he had taken in to one day succeed him. In the end, he needed information on their decks and dueling styles.

Even with the Millenium Eye, something in his core said he couldn’t leave anything to chance. He followed that feeling, deciding he’d use everything at his disposal to secure victory against whatever may come. Hence the inconsequential deal to see the girl’s true deck in action.

Pegasus was taken out of his musings as Croquet showed Sonata in with along with Arctic and Thunder. Though Pegasus could hardly care much about them, he still made certain to back up all data on those two as well just in case. For now, his attention was solely on Sonata.

“Despite your group getting something out of this, you by no means had any incentive to accept.” Pegasus stood as he put on a smile. “Even if there might be no need to, I do thank you Sonata Dusk.”

“Speaking of what I need to do; we merely have to duel, and you’ll let the three of us stay to watch the tournament?” Sonata questioned.

“That is the agreement.” Pegasus did desire more information, but he reasoned such insight could be gleamed at another time while now was merely to acquire what he could. “Win or lose, all three of you will continue to be my guests until the end of Duelist Kingdom.”

“Sounds like a fairly sweet deal to me.” Thunder stated.

“I don’t know about that.” Arctic thought to himself. “Something about this doesn’t sit right with me, but the deal seems fairly simple.”

“Then, I’ll duel you.” Sonata stated.

Considering she had still been tasked to be here and observe, Sonata had to take this shot. A part of her also wanted to help Thunder and Arctic stay. Both had been helping her a lot and have been nice. Now, this was her chance to pay that kindness back.”

“Wonderful.” Pegasus snapped his fingers and a duel table rose up off to the side. “Forgive me, for we’ll be dueling analog since the duel arena is only for competitors.”

While at one point Sonata had been a competitor, she had still lost such a right to Luthor.

“I’m fine with that.” Sonata stated.

“I wish I could duel him but guess he has his reasons.” Thunder commented before smiling at Sonata. “Since you have the opportunity, don’t hold back.”

Despite his current feelings on this whole situation, Arctic nodded. “After seeing your deck, you might be able to beat whatever he’s got.”

These three were among a select few who didn’t get to watch Pegasus duel Kaiba, so the creator’s deck was a mystery to them. Regardless of that, Sonata nodded firmly to the two of them before moving to take a seat at the same time as Pegasus. Both put their decks down.

“Let’s Duel.”

(Sonata 2000/Pegasus 2000)

“Since I issued the challenge, I believe you should go first.” Pegasus stated.

“I’d rather not.” Sonata returned.

While going first wasn’t really a problem, Sonata knew her deck was far stronger going second. Naturally, Pegasus’s Millenium Eye told him this as he now knew what was in her hand.

“Lyrilusc…one of the stronger archetypes I created; however, there’s more to this game than a strong archetype.” Pegasus smiled as he drew. “Very well, I will indulge such a request. I’ll start by activating my Toon Bookmark.

Now, I can add any 1 Toon World or any 1 card that mentions it, aside from another Bookmark.” He plucked his deck, took the card he wanted, and shuffled. “I took Toon World which I shall play now which requires 1000 life points of mine to activate (Sonata 2000/Pegasus 1000).”

“What kind of deck is this?” Thunder asked.

“Whatever it does, a card taking that much of a cost is never a good sign.” Arctic noted.

Pegasus continued. “I’ll summon Toon Dark Magician(LV 7/2500/2100).” A purple robbed, cartoonish magician was depicted. “Now, I’ll use his special ability to discard a Toon card as cost for doing one of two things from my deck. I can special summon a Toon monster or add 1 Toon spell/trap card to my hand. I’ll perform the former.”

“He’s really setting up.” Thunder stated impressed. “Guess that’s what you got to expect from the creator of the game.”

“What is setting up for?” Arctic pondered.

“I’ll then finish out my turn with two set cards.” Pegasus declared. “Your move.”

Sonata drew. “Since I control no monsters, I can special summon Lyrilusc-Turquoise Warbler(LV 1/100/0).” A humanoid warbler was depicted. “When Warbler is special summoned from the hand, she can special summon another member of the flock.

That’s from the hand or grave, but I have nothing in the latter. I’ll special summon Lyrilusc-Emerald Wren(LV 1/100/100).” A humanoid wren was depicted. “Then, I’ll activate Lyrilusc-Bird Call allowing me to take any Lyrilusc I wish from my deck.

I can add it to my hand or send it to the grave. I’ll take Lyrilusc-Celestine Wagtail(LV 1/200/0) from deck and send it to the grave. With that condition filled, Bird Call then allows me to special summon any Lyrilusc from my hand.

I’ll special summon Lyrilusc-Cobalt Sparrow(LV 1/0/100).” A humanoid sparrow was depicted. “When she’s summoned, I can pluck another level 1 winged beast monster from my deck and add them my hand.

I chose Lyrilusc-Beryl Canary(LV 1/0/200) before activating her effect. I now target 1 Lyrilusc monster in my grave, like Wagtail, and special summon her to the field alongside Canary.” A humanoid canary and a humanoid wagtail were both depicted in their cards.

“Considering what can be done with a field full of monsters, that is a scary one.” Thunder noted.

“She did it all without a single normal summon.” Arctic added.

“Well, it is certainly impressive.” Pegasus smiled. “Clearly you know how to get the Lyrilusc on the field, but are you aware of the purpose behind such capabilities?”

“I know exactly what you’re getting at, so allow me to show you.” Sonata declared. “I overlay all five of my Lyrilusc to construct the overlay network.”

“Wait, what!?” Thunder questioned. “I didn’t think there were Xyz monsters that took more than at most 3 monsters.”

“Well, we hadn’t managed to get to this lesson during your training, but there are a few monsters that can take five materials.” Arctic responded in turn. “Pretty much all of them have powerful effects. Given the Lyrilusc have all level one monster, this one is likely to be rather potent.”

“With every material this coming monster has, her power grows. Xyz summon Lyrilusc-Assembled Nightingale(R 1/O 5/0/0).” A tall, bipedal bird woman with colorful feathers was depicted. “Her attack is 100 times her number of materials.”

Lyrilusc-Assembled Nightingale(R 1/O 5/500/500)

“I hope that’s not all that monster does.” Thunder stated.

“Anything with a level/rank of 1 is something you never want to underestimate.” Arctic replied.

“He is right about that.” Pegasus chuckled. “I’ll let you three in on a little secret. I made a whole slew of level and rank 1 monsters quite potent all in the name of injecting some more fun into this game. Of course, I made them, so I’m prepared to protect myself.”

He closed his eyes with a smile. “I’ll admit, you summoned one of that deck’s best Sonata, you should be praised for that, but this isn’t over yet.” He flipped his first face down. “I activate the trap Toon Briefcase.

You summoned a monster while I have a Toon meaning it now gets shuffled back into the deck. In this case, with it being an extra deck monster, it means your Nightingale goes back to the extra deck and your five materials go to the grave.”

“I’m prepared for my opponents counters.” Sonata countered. “I activate the quick-play spell Lyrilusc-Nest. Provided I control Lyrilusc, this spell negates the effects of any one card I wish on the field. I’ll renders your Toon Briefcase ineffective.”

“Oh no!” Pegasus grasped his face comically. “How could I not see such a move coming?”

“That okay, I sometimes don’t expect things either, but it was a nice attempted.” Sonata reassured unaware he was playing her. “Anyways, two more effects of my monster is that she can always attack directly and attack several times up to her number of materials.”

“Okay, that really is one powerful monster.” Thunder was shocked. “Even if you have a card to defend yourself, Sonata could potentially have a card to negate that advantage.”

“It’d certainly take some players who have no strategy down easy.” Arctic stated.

“I’ll launch two attacks.” Sonata declared. “Go Lyrilusc barrage.”

“Sorry, but this duel won’t end here.” Pegasus flipped his second face down. “I activate Negate Attack. This card not only prevents your first attack, but it also ends the Battle Phase meaning the following attack, as well as the next three you could launch, don’t go off either.”

“Aw, I could have ended it right there, but at least my monster is fairly well protected as is.” Sonata only had one monster in her hand and playing a single Lyrilusc was never smart. “I have no choice but to end my turn.”

“You did prove you can use the archetype, but I have my ways to use other’s archetypes as well.” Pegasus alluded as he drew.

“Are you using Lyrilusc cards with your toons?” Sonata asked.

“No, it’s more my toons give me the opportunity to use your cards.” Pegasus retorted. “I activate Comic Hand. Provided I control Toon World, this card equips to any monster you control, makes it a Toon monster, and switches it to my side of the field.”

“Nightingale’s remaining effect only stops destruction from card effect & battle and prevents battle damage when she’s attack.” Sonata realized shocked at such a counter.

“Every monster has its weak point.” Pegasus informed as he took the monster and put it on his field. “This particular one is quite glaring in that now I can initiate four direct attacks ending the duel (Sonata 0/Pegasus 1000).”

Sonata now took back her monster before nodding. “You are good at this.”

“Creating the game does give one an understanding of it.” Pegasus stood and walked away. “Of course, I am a man of my word meaning you three may stay. The six who made it to the next round should have gathered in the courtyard, so feel free to join them.”

He was then out of the room content in the knowledge he had gained. He’d already set the database to pull all the information on the Lyrilusc cards and set them to concocting counter strategies. Now, it was time to keep pressing on.

“At least he didn’t win with full life points.” Thunder commented.

“If he didn’t need to sacrifice life points to make his strategy work, he would have.” Arctic retorted. “The real bright spot in this is that Pegasus had to use her monster to take her down.”

“What do you mean?” Tunder questioned.

He had looked at the deck, but he hadn’t understood it on the same level as his brother.

“He means Nightingale has an effect where she can prevent battle or card effect destruction by detaching an overlay unit instead.” Sonata informed. “Also, activating her prior ability means that, for that battle where it’s in effect, I take no battle damage.”

“That is more of an insane card than I thought.” Thunder noted stunned.

“Anyways, we should head on out to the courtyard.” Arctic stated. “While I’m not looking forward to seeing Luthor again, I am curious who the other five duelists are.”

At that, the three of them did start walking towards the courtyard.

“I hope Joey made it.” Thunder smiled. “That guy is one heck of a duelist in my opinion.”

“I’d put money on Yugi and Sunset being there for sure.” Arctic stated. “Sunset’s a strong duelist and anyone who beats someone as strong as Seto Kaiba can likely handle the American Champ.”

Sonata merely smiled and walked along with these two. Unlike with her sisters, there was a sense of contentment doing something nice for them. They didn’t have to say it because she could tell. These two were thankful she’d done this, and it certainly felt nice.

Courtyard
Sunset entered the courtyard and saw the others who made it being: Blue Blood, Luthor, Mektaveus, Joey, and Yugi. Sunset was a little sad Duke hadn’t, but it wasn’t entirely surprising. The guy did run a luck-based deck with traps that only seemed to protect himself.

While she still had no idea what deck Blue Blood ran, she had a general idea that it had to be something good given how well he could use Joey’s deck. That didn’t even account for the upgrades he’d made to it that served him well in a two on one duel.

She now took note of where everyone was as she continued to approach the gang who had yet to see her. Blue Blood was off to the side seeming rather content with himself while Luthor glared at him from a distance. Yugi, Joey, and Mektaveus stood with Tea, Bakura, and Tristan.

Eventually, Tea noticed her. “Look, Sunset made it!”

Everyone in the group smiled and started beckoning her to join them. At this point, Sunset picked up the pace.

“You managed to beat Mai.” Joey stated.

“Yeah, it was a much better duel than the four way one we participated in prior.” Sunset informed as she joined them. “In fact, she had me on the ropes until I managed get the pieces I needed to summon and empower my Great Tornado to end it.”

“Shining Armor proved he deserved his tittle.” Yugi smiled. “He was paying life points and raising them with his various equip cards that managed to keep up with some new cards I’d added. The new cards really impressed me with how well they worked out.”

“I’ll say.” Tea agreed. “The monsters Yugi brought were amazing, but he ultimately needed to resort to Ritual summoning to win. He called forth Black Luster Soldier - Super Soldier and empowered it for the win.”

“I also helped the other me, and we’re back.” Yugi declared happily.

“That’s really good to hear.” Sunset returned.

“The way Joey outdueled Weevil was a real spectacle.” Bakura declared. “Weevil had a powerful Synchro with 3000 ATK on the field.”

“It turned out to be nothing in the face of my Sword & Shield used before I managed to bust out Colossal Fighter.” Joey grinned before giving Mektaveus a thumbs up. “It really came in handy when I couldn’t bust out a fusion, so thanks again.”

“No problem.” Mektaveus returned. “I’m just glad to hear you used it effectively.”

“As for Mektaveus’ duel, Bandit Keith cheated, but it hardly mattered.” Tristan declared. “Pegasus found him out, but Mektaveus continued the duel before calling on his pops to win.”

That made everyone look at Tristan funny while Mektaveus rubbed the back of his head. “I have a specific chant for my only other Level 12 Synchro.” He smiled. “I did kind of go above and beyond how I’d normally say it because Keith was dissing my family.”

“I heart that.” Joey declared. “If someone talked bad about the family I care about, I’d go over the top to show them just how wrong they were.”

“Something else that happened was Bandit Keith leaping to this balcony Pegasus was sitting on and pulling a gun.” Tristan informed.

This shocked everyone but Mektaveus since he’d been there. Despite all of them knowing Pegasus and Keith weren’t great people, given the things they done, no one there wanted either of them to die. They just wanted to right the wrongs.

“I take it by you not bothering to mention this until Sunset was here that it didn’t pan out.” Joey pressed.

“Nah, Pegasus had a contingency.” Tristan stated. “He hit some hidden switch and sent Keith through a trap door. I think I heard him yell and maybe the distant sound of splashing.” He shook his head. “Maybe I was just imagining things to make the situation alright.”

The conversation was halted as the doors to the castle opened letting Sonata, Thunder, and Arctic out. The former of this little group that had formed on the island did cast a glance at Sunset before looking away as she grabbed Arctic’s hand. He let it happen to keep her calm.

“What are you still doing here?” Luthor questioned calmly. “I’m fairly certain I was the winner of our duel.”

“I’m not one to mess around.” Arctic glared at Luthor. “You beat me; however, we were offered a chance to stay.”

“All Sonata had to do was duel, Pegasus.” Thunder added. “Both were impressive, but the way he defeated Sonata was something else.”

That caused the gang to cast looks at each other. Joey and Tristan wondered how Sonata was still here. Those who thought it through a bit more wondered why. Pegasus clearly did nothing without reason. Leaving Sonata her soul wouldn’t be any different.

At that moment, Pegasus came out to the balcony. “I’d like to extend a welcome back to the six duelists who have made it this far. Out of the forty who attended Duelist Kingdom, you have, without question, proven yourselves the best.”

“Excuse me.” Blue Blood spoke up loud enough for everyone to hear as he grinned. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but I’d like to announce that I am now dropping out of Duelist Kingdom.”

Everyone was shocked to hear this while one person was livid that his shot at payback was being being taken away like this.

“You bastard.” Luthor marched right up to him and grabbed Blue Blood by his shirt before getting in close. “Rescind it right now.”

“I’m eventually going to stop giving you warnings if you insist on doing this every time something you don’t like happens.” Blue Blood smiled. “Given our past, I’ll still extend it for now. Will you remove your hands before I put you on the ground?”

“I said rescind your…” Luthor began.

Blue Blood sighed as he grabbed Luthor’s wrists and applied a significant amount of pressure. The Gladiator Beast user cried out in pain as he was forced to let go. Then, in one swift motion, the Drytron user grabbed one arm and forced him into the ground.

He then put a knee into the Gladiator user’s back to keep him pinned while holding the arm up in a position where he could break it easier than he likely already could. When Luthor attempted to swing back his other arm, Blue Blood put more pressure on his back, stopping that.

“Our prior association can only stop me from really hurting you so many times.” Blue Blood declared.

“Damn you.” Luthor growled.

He hated to feel so powerless against the man that caused him and his brother all their problems.

“Hold on, I think there’s a more civilized way to resolve this than violence.” Pegasus spoke up, drawing everyone’s attention. “Since Luthor wishes you to rescind your resignation from my tournament, why don’t the two of you duel?”

“I’m listening for the terms.” Blue Blood stated.

Despite achieving all he needed to on Duelist Kingdom, he was not an unreasonable sort. If the terms were agreeable, he would have no problems staying in this tournament. His employer only said he should drop out by now if he wanted to.

“You and Luthor can have a duel before the next round.” Pegasus declared. “If you win, not only will you forfeit your place, but Luthor will also be disqualified. If Luthor wins, you both remain as participants.”

Blue Blood mulled it over while never letting Luthor have any comfort as he did so. Eventually, he arrived at his answer.

“I find the terms agreeable.” Blue Blood now released Luthor and stood.

This was perfect since Pegasus could continue to collect his data, and it barely inconvenienced him. In fact, if Blue Blood won, it’d be three duels tomorrow as opposed to the number he had been planning to get the winner of his tournament.

“I accept as well.” Luthor declared as he stood.

“Excellent, but your duel will have to wait as I have scheduled one prior to this situation arising.” Pegasus informed. “Shining Armor saw fit to challenge me, and I accepted with the same stipulations in place as the duel I had with Kaiba.”

Luthor and Blue Blood didn’t really react to this information, despite being there for that prior duel, but the rest of the gang were stunned by this was happening. It clearly made Tea and Yugi realize the American champ hadn’t headed for the castle to do what he said he was.

“Pegasus, what is your game?” Sunset asked.

“There is no game.” Pegasus smiled. “I’ve merely accepted a request and put the proper stipulations in place. After all, it is all Shining Armor can put up considering he lost the prior chance all of you still in the running have.”

“I’ll put it another way.” Yugi declared. “What do you hope to gain by doing this?”

“That is a better question, Yugi-boy.” Pegasus noted. “Though it is one I do not feel I must answer.” He turned away from them. “If anyone here would like to watch, you can do as such from where you saw my duel with Kaiba-boy.”

In truth, this was more preparation for the future. After all, data on threats to his beloved’s future was one thing, but data on how he performed was a whole other avenue he could use. The stipulation was merely there to fan the flames of his remaining competition.

He supposed he should be looking for an easy win, all things considered. To him that would only sour things. His love of games would not allow it to be easy, so he’d ensure anyone remaining, without a shadow of a doubt, would give him everything they had.

“What is going on?” Thunder questioned.

Unlike everyone else in the courtyard, these three haven’t been exposed to the bad side of this tournament beyond the likes of nasty competitors. No one explained as they all rushed in. Those who would have cared to inform them didn’t have time since the duel would begin soon.

Those who didn’t care what those three knew wouldn’t waste the time. This left the three not in the know of things confused to no end on what the heck was going on. Ultimately, they followed along hoping to understand.

Author's Note:

It is now revealed that Pegasus is planning for the worst. I think this makes sense. As he sees it, his present plans will come to fruition, so he's working to ensure a future with his beloved turns out alright. This leads to gathering data from all angles.

A precaution in case his eye isn't enough. Of course, he can't simply forget about what the present holds. Given he has to have some love of games, I think he'd want to take on people at their best. To him, that means as much incentive to take him down as possible.

Things are certainly ramping up because of it. Now, Pegasus will be taking on Shining Armor before Luthor gets the duel he's wanted with Blue Blood leaving the potential of a semifinals rather than a Top 6.

Note: What Tristan said about Mektaveus' duel comes from that oc's owner MLPMekarm.

PreviousChapters Next