• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,148 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,148

PreviousChapters Next
PaniK

Forest: Night…
Sunset, Tea, Joey, and Tristan were still out for the moment while Yugi stood near Bakura.

“Are you okay Bakura?” Yugi questioned.

“I am now.” Bakura nodded. “Thanks to you.”

Yugi smiled before his gaze drifted to the Millennium Item. “Where’d you get that Millennium Ring?”

“I wish I could truly remember.” Bakura shook his head. “The day I got this ring is hazy, but I’ve gotten flashes. I believe it was in Egypt, and that I was with my father. I believe there were children there with some bald man. That’s about all I got.”

At that moment, the others awoke yawning and stretching.

“Ugh, I dreamt Bakura went totally mental.” Tristan commented.

“Same here.” Joey rubbed his head. “That’s the last time I sleep with duel monster cards under my pillow.”

Sunset was more aware of what really happened, but maybe it was better, in this instance, that her friends get to believe what they did.

“Sleep well guys?” Bakura asked.

“Bakura!” Joey and Tristan exclaimed.

They hugged each other before realizing that’s what they did resulting in the pair falling away from each other. It was a humorous scene that made everyone laugh. Their laughter stopped upon hearing someone scream in the distance.

“What was that?” Tea asked.

“It sounded like Mai.” Joey responded. “Come on!”

Clearing
(Mai 800/??? 1300)

Mai’s Field
Harpie Lady Sisters(LV 6/1950/2100)

???’s Field
Dark Armed Dragon(LV 7/2800/1000)

Mai was currently engaged in a duel with a tall, muscular, and creepy looking guy. He had two, large star gauntlets, each filled with twenty star chips, and wore black attire.

“Now Dark Armed Dragon, wipe out that monster and our opponent’s life points.” The guy declared.

Dark Armed Dragon blasted the Harpie Lady Sisters decimating them (Mai 0/??? 1300).

“I was beaten that easily.” Mai declared in disbelief.

“I believe you mean eliminated.” The guy corrected with a dark chuckle. “Now, hand over all your star chips, loser.”

Mai reluctantly detached all eight star chips from her gauntlet, collected them, and lowered to meet the man.

“Mai, are you okay?” Yugi questioned.

“You’re too late.” Mai responded.

The whole gang stopped across from Mai and the guy.

“Too late for what?” Tea asked.

“This sideshow freak giving you a hard time?” Joey questioned.

“I’m merely doing the job Pegasus pays me for.” The man declared. “I root out all the dueling filth and dispose of it.”

“Doesn’t that make you a garbage man?” Tristan joked.

“This is no joke.” Mai declared. “PaniK is one of the island’s eliminators, and if you don’t get out of here, he’ll do to you what he’s already done to me.”

“Eliminator?” Yugi questioned. “What’s that?”

“Look.” PaniK grabbed Mai’s arm and lifted her gauntlet for all to see. “This is what she means right here. Not a star chip to be seen.”

“That would mean she’s been disqualified.” Tea remarked.

“You’re out?” Sunset questioned.

“It all happened so fast.” Mai looked away. “The way PaniK duels…I lost it.”

“This isn’t right.” Tea muttered.

Even though Mai had cheated before, the Harpie user had paid for that by losing to Sunset. The Hero user truly felt this way and could fully agree with Tea on this.

“Heh, she was one of my easiest opponents to date.” PaniK taunted with a laugh.

“You creep!” Joey attempted to run forward only for Bakura and Tristan to hold him back. “There’s no excuse for how that guy is treating a girl.”

“Calm down Joey.” Bakura stated. “I know how you feel, but that guy is nearly twice your size.”

“I can take him.” Joey declared.

“No, violence isn’t the answer here.” Sunset started drawing everyone’s attention. “In many ways, you and Tristan can relate to who I was, but there are quite a few ways we differed in who we used to be.” She stepped forward with a determined gaze.

“If anything, this guy reminds me too much of the person I used to be. In that case, the only way you can overcome someone like him is by standing up to him. It’s even better if you can take them down in something they like.”

Considering this guy didn’t seem to have any magic, doing this should be enough.

“But Sunset…” Mai tried.

“I’ll admit, you got intimidation down to a tee.” Sunset stated. “More than likely better than I ever did, but I know enough to the point they won’t work on me.” She pointed at him. “In short, someone like you doesn’t scare me, so let’s duel PaniK.”

“You twerp.” PaniK scoffed. “You talk big, but I’ll eliminate you from this tournament just as I did this one here. In fact, tell her how I trounced you.”

“Sunset, I don’t know why you’re even attempting to bother considering we can’t stand each other.” Mai attempted. “Just take your friends and leave.”

“Mai, I won’t lie.” Sunset started. “You push my buttons, and I’m not convinced you earned those star chips without the same means you used during our four-way duel. Ultimately, I don’t hate you. Maybe that’ll improve if you’ve cleaned up your act, but it’s enough to step in now.”

With that declaration, the duel was set with the Hero user now unable to take it back. Sunset rode up the blue side while PaniK took the red side, and everyone else, including Mai, moved to stand at the side. At that moment, Blue Blood happened upon the entire group.

“Hm, I wasn’t looking for Yugi or Sunset, but this is rather fortunate.” He quickly took stock of the situation. “Looks like Yugi has all the star chips he needs, Sunset is close behind, and that other one hasn’t been knocked out yet.

Sunset’s opponent, judging by the large gauntlets, must be an Eliminator. Certainly seems at least more intimidating than the few I’ve run into. Might as well stick around and watch. Who knows? That guy might be someone of interest to her cause.”

“Alright Sunset, this guy should be no problem for you.” Joey declared. “Show him how we deal with thugs like him.”

“This is going to be just as much of a thrill as any other duelist before you.” PaniK declared. “You best get ready girly because I’m about to take you into a world of hurt.”

“You don’t scare me PaniK.” Sunset started. “Like I said, I understand your type.”

“So, you say.” PaniK returned. “I wonder just how far you’ve ever taken anything compared to me.”

“I bet I can read you as more of an open book than you think.” Sunset returned. “In truth, you’re a dark mirror of what I could have become. You’re exemplary at finding and exploiting the weak. That works until you run into the one person who isn’t. Now, you’re as good as beaten.”

“Watch your mouth, insolent cur!” PaniK retorted.

“Already the persona you put up is cracking.” Sunset smirked. “Enough of this. Words alone won’t solve anything.” She held up her gauntlet. “I’m putting all my star chips up against the ones you took from Mai.”

“The bet makes no difference to me, but Pegasus was clear in that anyone who beats us to garner enough star chips to enter his castle.” PaniK held up his right gauntlet. “As such, I’ll put up ten star chips to your eight.”

“What exactly do you mean?” Sunset asked.

“What I mean is that this duel will see more than star chips on the line.” PaniK pressed a button causing Sunset’s legs to be restrained and flame throwers to appear at her side. “This duel, you’ll put your life on the line!”

Fire spouted around Sunset making her shirk away from the heat.

“Sunset!” Tea exclaimed worriedly.

“We got to get her out of there.” Joey declared.

“What’s the matter?” PaniK laughed. “Can’t take the heat? Well, get used to it because you’re strapped in for the long haul.”

“Stay strong Sunset.” Yugi cheered.

The flames died down.

“I can see the fear growing in your eyes.” PaniK pointed at her. “You’re beginning to realize the nightmare you’ve stepped into.”

“Get a life, you psycho!” Tea exclaimed.

“Forget this guy, Sunset!” Joey exclaimed. “He’s nothing like the person you were, so there’s nothing to prove here.”

“Yeah, no joke.” Tristan added. “Let’s get you down from there, what do you say?”

“This is nowhere near enough for me to throw in the towel.” Sunset retorted. “Let’s get to the duel already.”

PaniK laughed. “The last person who had the nerve to talk to me like that…I broke them in half.” He became firm. “Now, let’s duel!”

(Sunset 2000/PaniK 2000)

“At this point, I’ll admit Sunset is good, better than I ever thought, but she’s never faced an Eliminator before.” Mai thought. “Once PaniK gets inside your mind, it’s all over.”

“Seeing how the blaze of my fire didn’t faze you, let’s turn down the lights.” PaniK drew before taking a card from his hand. “My Castle of Dark Illusions(LV 4/920/1930) will turn this into your darkest hour.” A floating, yellow castle appeared.

“It’s dark magic automatically shifts it to defense mode before shrouding my field in darkness making you unable to attack any other monster I play. As a bonus, you will know nothing of the other monsters I summon either. Unnerving, isn’t it?”

“Don’t listen Sunset!” Mai yelled fearfully. “This is exactly how he threw me off my game!”

“Now she tells us.” Joey muttered.

“Take your turn.” PaniK declared. “I have nothing more to play.”

“You’re going to regret not playing anything else.” Sunset drew. “I’ll summon Elemental Hero Gusting Avian(LV 4/1800/1100).” A winged hero in full on green attire appeared. “When he’s normal summoned, I can add 1 Elemental Hero or Hero spell/trap from my deck to my hand.”

“People often look to pitiful super heroes to protect them from what’s within the dark, but your heroes can do nothing in the face of my darkness.” PaniK interrupted.

“We’ll see about that.” Sunset retorted. “With Avian’s effect, I’ll add Elemental Hero Blazing Burstinatrix. Since she is a Level 4 or lower Elemental Hero, I could special summon her, but I’ll opt not to in favor of using Polymerization.

With it, I’ll combine Blazing Burstinatrix and Gusting Avian, which always act as their normal counterparts, to Fusion summon Elemental Hero Flame Wingman(LV 6/2100/1200).” A green hero with a red dragon arm appeared.

“Alright, that monster is stronger than Panik’s!” Joey exclaimed.

“Grr, well that hardly does you any good.” PaniK declared.

“Doesn’t it?” Sunset smirked as she crossed her arms. “Your earlier words imply your monster’s effects only works on other monsters while doing nothing to protect itself. That means my monster should have no trouble destroying yours. Go, Skydive Scorcher!”

Flame Wingman launched into the air before coming down on the castle cloaked in fire destroying it. “That’s not all because my Flame Wingman has an effect where he deals you damage equal to the ATK of a monster he destroys by battle.”

“Your monster does what!?” PaniK exclaimed.

“You heard me.” Sunset responded. “Let him have it Flame Wingman!” Wingman shot a stream of fire at PaniK (Sunset 2000/PaniK 1080). “What’s the matter? Can’t keep the intimidation up when it does nothing to dissuade your opponent? By the way, I set a card and end my turn.”

“You think yourself such an expert in intimidation, but I have mastered the art.” PaniK drew. “Before this duel ends, I’ll have you quivering in your boots.”

“Sunset’s keeping it together just about as well as I did.” Mai spoke up. “After a while, PaniK starts to eat away at any resolve you may have.”

“I don’t think Sunset’s going to have any problems.” Joey voiced.

“Yeah.” Yugi nodded. “Sunset’s been in control of this duel from the start, and I don’t think PaniK realizes that yet.”

“Look, I’ll admit Sunset really is good, better than I gave her credit for, but this duel isn’t about skill.” Mai responded. “It’s all about guts and with the way she’s wavered before, I just don’t think she’s got it.”

“She doesn’t know why Sunset was wavering.” Tea smiled. “I think Sunset’s done wavering like that. Even then, she’s got more guts than you think.”

“You got that right.” Tristan agreed.

“From what I’ve seen, you all might be right, but we shouldn’t count out her opponent.” Bakura stated. “After all, he was hired to eliminate competitors, and it seems he’s had plenty of success. Sunset will need to continue playing as she has if she wishes to make it out of this.”

“I must say, you’re a little more skilled than my normal prey, but you’ll fall all the same.” PaniK laughed. “I activate Graceful Charity which allows me to draw three cards before then having to discard two from my hand.

Now, my grave is all set to bring out one of my strongest. With exactly three dark monsters in my grave, I have met the requirements to special summon Dark Armed Dragon(LV 7/2800/1000).” A large, black and silver dragon appeared roaring.

“Whoa, he had a monster like that within his deck!” Joey exclaimed.

“It’s the exact monster he used to beat me before.” Mai stated. “It decimated my defenses before ending the duel with one, swift attack.”

“I activate the effect of my dragon.” PaniK declared. “By banishing 1 Dark attributed monster from my grave, I can destroy 1 card on your field, so say goodbye to that face down.” The face down was destroyed. “Now, Dark Armed Dragon will tear your Wingman apart!”

Dark Armed Dragon lunged forward slashing its claws through Wingman destroying him (Sunset 1300/PaniK 1080).

When a Hero monster I control is destroyed by battle, I can special summon Blazing Burstinatrix from my grave. Considering he didn’t say that effect of his dragon’s was once per turn, and given what I have in my hand, it’d be best to keep her there.” Sunset thought.

“Too scared to keep talking like you have been?” PaniK laughed. “You should be because I still have my normal summon, and I’ll use it to bring out Canon Soldier(LV 4/1400/1300).” A dark machine appeared. “With his effect, I can tribute a monster to deal 500 life points of damage.

That means I could deal you one thousand right now, but I believe I’ll keep my dragon on the field and simply sacrifice Canon Soldier himself (Sunset 800/PaniK 1080).” He laughed once more. “What do you have to say now!?”

“All I have to say is that my next turn will be the end of this duel.” Sunset retorted causing PaniK to growl. “All the pieces are already in place within my hand.” PaniK’s eyes slightly widened. “While I’ll still draw, you have nothing to counter me. It’s plain to see.”

“Ridiculous.” PaniK retorted. “Proclaiming your victory now is nothing but a bluff in the face of my monster.”

“Am I sensing a little fear from the ‘master of intimidation’?” Sunset smirked. “If you want to see who’s right, all you need to do is end your turn.”

“You dolt, you have forgotten who it is you face.” PaniK slammed his fist on the button causing flames to shoot around Sunset. “I am PaniK, the eliminator.”

“I think you’re starting to lose your cool and falling back on grandstanding to keep up the illusion you had any to begin with.” Sunset retorted firmly.

PaniK’s eye twitched in anger.

“Sunset’s playing with fire.” Tea voiced. “I sure hope she knows what she’s doing.”

“Don’t worry Tea, Sunset knows exactly what she’s doing.” Yugi assured.

“I hope so Yugs because this PaniK guy is playing for keeps.” Joey stated.

“What are you waiting for PaniK?” Sunset smiled. “You’re already at your Main Phase 2, so play whatever set cards you’d like or simply end your turn. It won’t matter”

“Silence…” PaniK ground out. “I set two face down cards and end my turn. Before you even think about taking your next turn, you should just give up. Admit defeat.”

“Someone like you would love for me to give up because it continues to validate how you’ve lived your life.” Sunset retorted. “You get through by intimidation rather than skill.”

“You mock my skill when it’s what’s brought you to the brink of defeat!” PaniK yelled.

“Don’t be so sure.” Sunset drew. “You think you’ve accomplished a lot through skill, but at the end of the day, all you have is intimidation with the ability to prey on the weakness within others.”

“You’re talking nonsense.” PaniK retorted.

“No, I’m talking from experience.” Sunset responded. “The difference between you and I is that I was shown the error of my ways before it was too late. You? You’ve gone too far down this path to the point that you’ve become a coward. That’s your core.”

“Shut up!” PaniK was sweating now. “I am no coward!”

“The results of this turn will reveal everything.” Sunset declared. “First, I’ll activate my second Polymerization to fuse Elemental Hero Striking Sparkman and King of Swamp which can act as a substitute for one, named fusion material.

In this case, he’ll be Flame Wingman. With these two monsters, I summon forth a hero who cuts through the darkness with his radiance. Fusion Summon Elemental Hero Shining Flare Wingman(LV 8/2500/2100).”

An evolved version of Flame Wingman appeared wearing silver and gold armor with a radiant glow. “This monster has two effects. The first is the same effect as Flame Wingman while the second grants him 300 ATK for each Elemental Hero in my grave.”

“For every Elemental Hero!” Joey and Tristan exclaimed.

“She has Avian, Burstinatrix, Sparkman, and Flame Wingman.” Bakura muttered. “Four Heroes, so a 1200 ATK increase!”

Elemental Hero Shining Flare Wingman(LV 8/3700/2100 effect)

“Whoa, that’s one powerful monster.” Yugi stated.

“That’s all your monster does!?” PaniK laughed. “Okay, by all means, attack my dragon and seal your fate!”

“Oh, I intend to destroy your dragon, but not before I utilize my own form of back row destruction.” Sunset declared. “I still have my normal summon, and I’ll use it to bring out Elemental Hero Stratos(LV 4/1800/300).”

A hero in a blue body suit and wing pack appeared. “Whenever he’s summoned, I can activate one of two effects. The one I chose is Stratos’ ability to destroy spell/traps equal to the number of Elemental Hero monsters I control. Your two face downs are gone.”

“That means…” PaniK declared in a panic.

“Your monster is left defenseless in the face of my monster’s light.” Sunset declared.

“NO!” PaniK exclaimed. “No one defeats PaniK!”

“I just have!” Sunset declared. “Shining Flare Wingman, attack Dark Armed Dragon with Solar Flare!” Shining Flare Wingman ascended before coming down and punching Dark Armed Dragon destroying him (Sunset 800/PaniK 180). “Then, his effect kicks in ending this.”

Flare Wingman stood before PaniK and emitted a brilliant light. “Ah, I can’t stand the light!”

(Sunset 800/PaniK 0)

At this point, Blue Blood swiftly moved around the duel field to get behind PaniK.

“Sunset won!” Tea exclaimed happily.

“PaniK’s not taking it well!” Joey declared.

“I’ll say.” Yugi agreed.

“Look, PaniK’s having a panic attack.” Tristan joked.

“Nobody beats PaniK.” PaniK growled. “Nobody!” He glared at Sunset. “I MAY NOT HAVE DEFEATED YOU, BUT I CAN STILL…”

Blue Blood had managed to climb up PaniK’s platform and swiftly chopped the back of the man’s neck with enough force to render him unconscious. This shocked everyone while all, but Bakura, recognized the guy.

“Now, there’s no need for that.” Blue Blood stated as he took out the ten agreed upon star chips, from the eliminator’s gauntlet, placed them on the console, and began collecting the man’s deck. “After all, you did lose.”

“Who is that?” Bakura asked.

“That’s Blue Blood.” Tristan informed. “He got someone to steal Joey’s deck and ended up using it in a duel against Sunset and Yugi once the tournament began.”

“What are you doing here Blue Blood?” Sunset asked.

“You probably won’t believe me, but I happened upon your little group by chance.” Blue Blood dropped PaniK’s body over the edge. “I figured I’d take care of this guy for you.” He turned his back to her. “By the way, 10 star chips are over here on the console.”

He then lowered on the platform before grabbing PaniK by the back of the jacket.

“Hold on, you’re just going to come in, do this, and leave?” Yugi questioned. “What are you even going to do with PaniK?”

“Hm, at the very least you and Sunset may find that answer out someday.” Blue Blood started walking as though PaniK’s rather large body weighed nothing as it dragged behind him. “For now, can’t you accept that I gave a helping hand?”

“Fat chance!” Joey yelled angrily. “In fact, I still have business with you after what you had Weevil do.”

He attempted to run after him, but Tristan and Bakura held him back once against. Considering Blue Blood just effortlessly knocked out a big guy like PaniK and dragged him as though he weighed nothing…attacking the guy would likely do them no good.

“You really need to take it easy Joey.” Bakura stated.

“Yeah man, calm down.” Tristan added.

Blue Blood stopped at the tree line before holding up his gauntlet. “If you want to get back at me, get the rest of your star chips.” He shrugged. “Maybe you’ll get your shot at me just like Sunset and Yugi already can.” He smiled. “Of course, there are no guarantees.”

With his piece said, Blue Blood walked into the forest, disappearing into the night, with PaniK’s unconscious body. Considering he was gone, while what happened wasn’t forgotten, everyone decided it’d be best not to chase after him.

Sunset collected the ten star chips, inserted two to complete her gauntlet, and approached Mai who was in shock. “Sunset, I don’t know what to say.”

The Hero user held out Mai’s star chips. “Here, take your star chips back.” The Harpie user looked at them surprised. “These are yours, and I already got the ten I need. Take them.”

“Go on!” Tea encouraged.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t accept them.” Mai declared firmly. “I fight my own battles.”

“Mai, Sunset risked her life in this duel for you.” Yugi started.

“I know but…” Mai began.

“Heh, there’s no point in arguing.” Joey approached. “She’s way too thick headed for that.” He took the star chips from Sunset’s hand. “If she’d rather be booted off the island, I could see still use five star chips, and I wouldn’t mind collecting a little extra like Yugs has.”

Joey laughed and Mai got angry. “You think me losing my star chips is funny Joey Wheeler!?”

She approached, so he held them up. “I thought you didn’t want them.”

Mai tried to take them. “Give them back!”

Joey did just that. “Of course, you can have them.” This surprised the Harpie user. “They’re yours.”

“Really…Joey?” Mai questioned in shock.

“Didn’t you learn anything from this duel?” Joey questioned. “You can’t keep your defenses up because they’ll just come between you and the people trying to be your friends. So, can’t you let your shield down, just this once?”

“I suppose, for as much as I consider you a rival and want to beat you, maybe you’ve become something a friend to me.” Sunset admitted causing Mai to stare at the two of them intently. “Anyways, we should probably get out of here.”

With that, the gang walked off only for Mai to call out, “Sunset, wait!” The Hero user turned to her. “I’ll repay you for what you’ve done here today. “You’re the one who won these, so, far as I’m concerned, I owe you.” She looked at the star chips. “More than I have anyone.” She looked at her rival. “When next we duel, you have my word, it’ll be an honorable one.”

“You know, I’m actually starting to believe you have cleaned up your act.” Sunset looked away from her and continued walking with her friends. “I’ll hold you to what you’ve just said. The next time we duel, come at me with everything you got, Mai.”

Author's Note:

If this version of Yugi took on PaniK, he'd have finished him just as or quicker than Sunset did. In canon, Yugi was already schooling the guy because all he had was intimidation and good old, Duelist Kingdom anarchy rules. Here, I included a bit of that.

Castle of Dark Illusions had an effect reminiscent of what it could do in the anime. On a quick note, not sure why they gave the actual card a zombie boosting effect considering this was PaniK's card and he uses Fiends. Anyways, let's talk about Sunset & PaniK.

If Sunset never had a way back to Equestria, no access to magic, and Twilight never came through, I could very well see her becoming someone like PaniK. Whereas PaniK never ran into someone like Twilight, Sunset had that experiance which led her down a different path.

Finally, we get to Blue Blood picking up PaniK. Just like with Weevil, I'm more or less indifferent to the character; however, it was the easiest duelist to pluck from this arc. As for Blue Blood's surprising strength. There's an explanation to come in later chapters.

PreviousChapters Next