• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,146 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,146

PreviousChapters Next
Rex's Rematch

Domino City: Streets, Day…
Rex Raptor walked along the streets of Domino City with his deck in one hand and a briefcase in the other. Since his back-to-back losses in Duelist Kingdom, he reworked his deck and was now looking for rematches. The first person on his list was Joey Wheeler to secure Red-Eyes.

Kame Game
"Hey Yug, mind tossing me the duster?” Joey called out.

"Sure Joey." Yugi stated as he tossed the item over.

Joey snagged it and went about dusting some of the higher shelves in the store. The whole gang have been lending a hand to help maintain the store while Soloman fully recovered from his prior soul loss indued coma.

Joey was dusting, Tea & Tristan were wiping down display cases, Sunset was organizing merchandise, and Yugi was taking inventory. Everyone was doing their part to get the job done and were nearly finished as Solomon came on down with a tray of lemonade.

“I think the store looks great, so why don’t you all come get a drink?” Soloman called out.

Everyone did as he suggested with Joey downing his. “Man, that hit the spot.”

“Yeah, thanks for bringing them down Mr. Muto.” Sunset added.

“Please, don’t thank me.” Solomon chuckled. “If anything, it’s my thanks for all the hard work you kids have been putting in on my behalf.”

Suddenly, the door opened drawing everyone’s attention as a familiar person to the gang walked into the story. Seeing Rex Raptor here stunned all of them with Solomon being the only one unaffected by his appearance.

"What can I do for you, young man?" Yugi's grandpa asked.

"I actually came looking for Wheeler since I was told he might be here.” Rex smiled as he stared at him. “Looks like the info I got was right on the money. Tell me, little Joey, have you evolved since our last duel?”

"For your information, I finished in the top 4 of Duelist Kingdom; meanwhile, I didn’t even see you in the Top 12.” Joey retorted.

“What cand I say?” Rex just shrugged. “I guess my game was off.”

"What do you want Rex?" Joey asked.

"I want a rematch.” Rex smirked. “You may still have my Red-Eyes Black Dragon, but that will change should you agree to duel me."

"What do you mean by MY Red-Eyes changing should I agree?" Joey asked.

"Very simple.” Rex responded. “I’d overheard Seto Kaiba developed some new way to duel and upon finding out it was true, I got special permission from him to borrow his Dueling Disk system.

He agreed provided he had some compensation for letting me borrow it. Now, we will both duel with these devices. To make it more interesting, we will both put up out most valuable card for the ante."

"Fine, I'll put up my Red-Eyes Black Dragon." Joey declared.

“I don’t use this card in my deck, I acquired it as the ante for this duel, but I’m putting up my Tri-Horned Dragon. Rex declared as he showed off a card depicting a giant, three-horned dragon.

"What is that?" Tea asked.

“I’ve heard of this card.” Yugi stared at the new dragon in disbelief. “It's said to be the second rarest card in the world with only Blue-Eyes White Dragon beating it out.”

Joey looked over at Yugi in disbelief.

“Guess Rex is really serious about this.” Tristan commented.

“I’ll say.” Sunset nodded. “To think he’d go about acquiring a card like that just to ante up against Red-Eyes Black Dragon.”

Rex put the briefcase on the floor and took the Duel Disk system from within. He then tossed one to Joey before walking outside. The pair faced off while the gang moved on out to watch them duel. Both placed their decks into the holders and drew five cards.

“Let’s Duel!”

(Joey 2000/Rex 2000)

"I'll even be a good sport and let you go first.” Rex declared.

“Alright, my move!” Joey drew. "I'll start off with Lava Battleguard(LV5/1550/1800)." A red, monstrous warrior appeared grabbing nearby citizens who stopped to watch. “I’ll then add one face down card and end my turn.”

“Get ready Wheeler because my hand already has everything it needs to bring out an old friend.” Rex drew. “I activate the effect of one Gilasaurus(LV 3/1400/400) from my hand. I can special summon him to my field in exchange for you being able to special summon from your grave.”

“Since I have nothing in my grave, that secondary effect doesn’t go off for me.” Joey crossed his arms. “I remember this play well, but I think you’re missing a monster to complete it.”

“I didn’t start with two Gilasaurus this time, but I have a monster that works all the same.” Rex declared. “I normal summon Black Ptera(LV 3/1000/500).” A black pterodactyl appeared. “Now, I’m constructing the overlay network with my two level 3 monsters.” Rex declared. “Xyz summon Grenosaurus(R 3/O 2/2000/1900).” A flaming Tyrano appeared.

“Well, that’s not good.” Joey commented.

“It sure isn’t as my dino is going to tear your Battleguard down (Joey 1550/Rex 2000). You should know full well that when my monster destroys one of yours through battle, I can detach an overlay unit to burn you for one thousand damage.”

Grenosaurus(R 3/O 1/2000/1900)

“Since we’re showing off prior moves from Duelist Kingdom, you got to remember this one.” Joey declared. “I chain my face down Hyper Refresh which only activates if the combined ATK of every monster you control is higher than my life points. That means I heal before your effect.”

(Joey 3100-2100/Rex 2000)

“If all we’re going to do is repeat Duelist Kingdom, then I already know I got this in the bag.” Rex declared confidently. “I end my turn with one set card.”

"Apparently, my deck just thinks you need another meeting with the king.” Joey drew. “I summon Swamp Battleguard(LV 5/1800/1500).” a green, monstrous warrior appeared. “I’ll give him Axe of Despair increasing his attack by 1000.” Swamp Battleguard(LV 5/2800/1500 effect). “Now, I’ll have him destroy your Grenosaurus (Joey 2100/Rex 1200).”

“Nice try, but I’m not that easy to take down.” Rex declared. “I reveal my face down Survival Instinct allowing me to banish any number of Dinosaurs from my grave and gain 400 life points for each. I banish Gilasaurus, Ptera, and Grenosaurus for 1200 life points.”

(Joey 2100/Rex 2400)

“I have nothing more I can do, so I end my turn.” Joey declared.

“This is a far more even duel than their last one seemed.” Tea commented.

“Yeah, Joey kept up a little better while Rex countered Joey’s life point gain with a card of his own.” Yugi voiced.

“Alright, it’s my move.” Rex drew. “Get ready because your field and life points won’t stand a chance against this new combo of mine. I’ve secured a fusion stronger than Red-Eyes Ancient Dragon ever was.”

"You have?” Joey questioned.

“Indeed.” Rex stated. “First, I summon Kaitoptera(LV 4/1400/1000).” A larger, brown pterodactyl appeared. “Next, I activate his first effect allowing me to add any 1 Polymerization I wish from my deck to my hand, and I’ll immediately activate it.”

“Something big is coming.” Joey thought.

“I now combine Kaitoptera with the Mad Sword Beast in my hand. This predator soars in from above to really bring the pain to my opponents. Fusion Summon Horned Saurus(LV 6/2000/1800).” A large, horned flying dino appeared impressing the crowd.

“Whoa, that’s a big dino.” Tristan commented.

“It must have quite the effect given how Rex praised it.” Sunset added.

“It better have some great effect because that dino is too week top get over my Battleguard without it.” Joey declared.

“Getting over your monster is hardly the challenge with this monster, but I still have a few more things before I get to that.” Rex declared. “Firstly, when this monster is Fusion summoned, I can play any Field Spell from my deck or grave.

I’ll play Lost World.” To the amazement of the general crowd, the area became an ancient, lush forest. “Currently, this card’s first effect is all you’ll need to worry about. All non-dinos automatically lose 500 ATK/DEF when on the field.”

Swamp Battleguard(LV 5/2300/1000 effect)

“That’s certainly a field spell alright.” Joey noted.

“It has another effect, but I’m no fool in trying to go for it by summoning more monsters.” Rex smiled. “I know you’re attempting to build up to your Battleguard King. With what that can do, I’ll keep him from wiping me by sticking to one monster.

That said, Horned Saurus is one heck of a monster because it also pairs well with my Tail Swipe spell card. Since I currently have a dino whose level is five or above, I can return up to two monsters to your hand from your field. All you have is Swamp Battleguard.”

“That also means my Axe goes to the grave, but now you can’t attack me.” Joey retorted.

“You’d normally be right; however, another of my fusion’s effects grants him the ability to launch a direct attack the turn he is special summoned.” Rex declared. “Go, Prehistoric Scream!”

Horned Saurus roared its mighty sound down on Joey (Joey 100/Rex 2400)

"Hang in there, Joey!" Tea cried.

"You still have life points, so the duel isn’t over!" Yugi added.

“I’d say they’re wrong.” Rex declared. “Your field is barren, and you’re staring down my fusion. What’s more, I’ve accounted for the strategy you used last time to beat me. Face it, I’ve won.”

"I wouldn't say that, Rex." Despite the bind he was in, Joey’s confidence wasn’t wavering. “There’s more than one way to utilize any card. Yeah, you saw through what I was trying, but that doesn’t mean I can’t simply try something else.”

“Is that so.” Rex laughed. “Alright then, I end my turn. Let’s see just what else you could possibly do with a monster whose only good for attacking multiple monsters at once.”

“All I need is one card to make it happen!” Joey drew and smiled. “Let’s get wild, Battleguard King(LV 8/2500/600 effect).” A red, monstrous warrior appeared wearing purple armor and wielding a massive sword.

“Big deal!” Rex yelled this time confidently rather than uneasy. “Like I said, I got one monster, and your monster is weaker thanks to my field spell.” He smirked. “In the end, all you do is minor five hundred life points while I’ll get a full turn to come back around.”

“Nope, this is the end of the duel.” Joey retorted. “You were kind of right in that Battleguard King is at his best when he can use his effect. What you ignored was the fact that he’s also a rather strong monster. Coupled with my life points being low, Megamorph accentuates it!”

“Megamorph!” Rex screamed.

“That’s right!” Joey declared. “Thanks to this equip, any monster who receives it doubles their ATK if my life points are lower than my opponents, and I’m giving it to my Battleguard King(LV 8/5000/600 effect).”

"This can't be!" cried Rex.

"Oh, it can!” Joey retorted. “Battleguard King, destroy Rex’s Horned Sarus with Wild Devastation!”

Battleguard King roared before rushing forward and slamming his weapon into Horned Saurus destroying him (Joey 100/Rex 0).”

“Way to go Joey!” Tristan declared.

"Alright!" Yugi cried.

"That was great!" Sunset and Tea declared.

The gang ran up to him while the people who’d gathered around cheered for such an impressive come from behind victory.

“How?” Rex fell to his knees. “How could I lose to that dueling monkey a second time in a row?"

Joey looked at Rex only to feel like the guy had been through enough losing to him a second time. "Hey Rex."

Rex looked up as Joey approached and sighed as he took his Tri-Horned Dragon from his pocket. "Here, you won it fair and square."

Rather than take the card, Joey held out a hand. "I think losing was enough." He smiled. “On Duelist Kingdom, I grew a lot after our first duel to the point I reached the Top 4. Despite that, you nearly beat me again. You’re one of the strongest duelists I’ve met."

“Thanks Joey.” Rex smiled as he accepted the offered hand and let himself be pulled up. “You’ve really have come a long way.”

The two of them then shook on a well fought duel.

Yugi smiled. "With that settled, why don’t we all head in for some lunch?”

"I'm down." Joey laughed.

"You're welcome to join us Rex." Yugi offered.

“No thanks, Yugi.” Rex shook his head. “I need to return this duel disk system to Seto Kaiba. I only rented it for two hours. Any longer and he'll have my head."

With that, Rex walked off in the direction of Kaiba Corp. While he didn’t get the victory he’d initially wanted, the dino duelists felt better.

“That Joey Wheeler is alright.” Rex thought.

Domino Streets: After Lunch…
“Alright, tell me one more time what’s going to happen.” Soren stated.

“We’ve already been over this so many…” Helios began.

“I just want to hear it one more time from you.” Soren voiced gently.

“Alright.” Helios sighed. “The plan is to walk in, ask the owner if he has any cards for my deck, and hopefully bump in with this Sunset to see if maybe she remembers something.”

“Whether or not she does?” Soren asked.

“Regardless of the result, I play it cool and leave when you tell me the phrase we agreed on.” Helios nodded. “I do remember the phase.”

They’d arrived at Kame Game, so Soren opened the door. “Alright, after you.”

Kame Game
The shop had been cleaned at the optimal time because the duel between Rex and Joey had inspired many of the onlookers to stop in. Solomon ended up making quite a few sales while the gang ate lunch upstairs. Now, Sunset was in the back looking over her recently acquired cards.

She knew the Masked Heroes were the way to improve her deck; however, that didn’t mean she’d simply slap them in hoping for the best. She’d study them and see how they interacted with her current deck before deciding how best to truly incorporate them.

“Even without main decks monsters and no traps, it’s still a fair bit of cards.” Tristan commented.

“Though, it’s not too big to the point she couldn’t incorporate them well.” Yugi voiced.

“I think Sunset is lucky.” Joey stated. “A whole archetype of monsters that only need a spell and one monster with a certain attribute.”

“It really does feel like a perfect addition to her deck.” Tea voiced.

At that moment, they all heard the door to the shop open followed by Solomon speaking. “Oh, hello gentlemen. What can I do for you?”

“I was hoping to acquire some cards for my deck.” A male voice stated. “Preferably any new Battlin’ Boxers that might have come out.”

Sunset’s head slowly rose from the table as this voice sounded somewhat familiar. She could not remember where she heard it though. That meant it shouldn’t be anyone she knew. At least, the chances of that were low, but she felt it was true.

“Sunset?” Yugi questioned.

“I recall a few packs coming out that contained some new ones.” Solomon responded. “I’ll get them for you.”

Sunset was walking towards the front which drew confused looks from her friends before they ultimately followed. While there were two guys out there, only one of them drew looks from the group while the other might as well have been unnoticed.

The one who wasn’t drawing their attention had neck length dark blue hair and green eyes with a lankier frame. He wore a white dress shirt with a red tie underneath a light blue jacket. He also had on blue jeans with light blue and yellow shoes on.

The guy that really drew their attention had short hair which looked familiar in color, being a fiery red and orange. It was the exact same color as Sunset’s, and that wasn’t the only similarity between them. While by no means exact, there were facial features shared between the two.

Where they differed, beyond gender, was in his more muscular frame, heterochromatic eyes, one was light blue while the other was white, and his apparel. This guy wore blue jeans with a black short sleeved shirt.

“Is it just me, or does that guy kind of look like Sunset?” Tristan whispered.

“Nah, I’m seeing it to.” Tea answered.

“They look more alike than I do to Serenity.” Joey looked between the two of them. “That guy doesn’t look too old, so could he be Sunset’s older brother?”

Beyond what he was seeing, Joey couldn’t rule it out given Sunset told them she no longer knew which world she was born in first. For all she knew, neither world was right. It was still a lot to grasp, but he thought he understood.

“Hello there.” The fiery haired guy nodded reservedly to Sunset. “My name is Helios Shine.”

“I’m Sunset Shimmer.” Sunset introduced.

“I suppose proper introductions should follow; however, I am familiar with you from Duelist Kingdom.” Helios glanced at Soren wondering if what he was about to request would be taking it too far but ultimately decided to proceed. “Since I’ve met you here, I’d like to request a duel.”

At this point, Solomon had returned and overheard the man’s request which stopped him from intruding with a box containing multiple booster packs. They were of the set containing, amongst many other cards, the newest Battlin’ Boxer support.

As for the effect his request had on Sunset, she needed some time to get her thoughts on this situation in order. It was not lost on her that Helios looked something like her. She obviously had to look in a mirror before. Still, there was a lot to process.

“If you wish to have a duel with me, we’ll schedule it at a later date.” Sunset responded.

“That should be no problem to arrange.” Soren produced his business card and passed it over. “My name is Soren, and my friend here is an MMA fighter who I’ve been managing. Dueling is important to him though, so whenever you wish to arrange a duel, give me a call.”

“With that decided, I shall take my leave.” Helios nodded to Soren. “Please, buy out that whole box the shopkeeper has before joining me.”

“Of course.” Soren stated.

As Helios left out the door, Soren approached Solomon and paid for the entire box before leaving himself. This left a thoroughly conflicted Sunset, her confused friends, and an even more confused Solomon.

Muto Residence
Tea, with Solomon’s permission, brought Sunset up to the residence above the shop while the guys went to collect all her Masked Hero cards. Tea had her friend take a seat on the couch before fetching her a glass of lemonade.

Drinking a bit of that did help at least a bit. Eventually, the guys joined them with Yugi giving Sunset her cards which she tucked away safely on her person. Everyone then had a seat with it being rather silent for a moment. No one was certain how they’d brooch was happened.

Soon enough, Sunset sighed. “Think he’s related to me somehow?”

“I think you’d need an official blood test to know for certain, but you two do look alike.” Tea responded.

“I get the sense he’s an older brother.” Joey spoke up. “I haven’t seen myself do it, but I know for a fact I’ve looked at Serentity how he was looking at you. He wants to care for you.”

“That’s probably there if you saw it; however, he seemed rather restrained.” Yugi voiced. “I think he was even glancing at that Soren guy.”

“What would it mean if you two are related?” Tea asked.

“I don’t know what it would mean.” Sunset shook her head. “I don’t even know what Sunset I am. Am I the one from Equestria? Earth? Somewhere else? If I’m from Earth or Equestria, then a version of me is missing from one of these two worlds.

If I’m not from Earth, am I just close enough that I can live out this Sunset’s destiny? Ever since Shadi brought it up, I’ve been thinking that there’s a chance I simply swooped in to take over another Sunset’s life. Perhaps that means I wasn’t meant to meet and befriend…”

“Sunset, it’s okay.” Tea had hugged her. “I don’t care whether you’re the Sunset I was meant to meet. In the end, all I care about is that you’re my friend. If destiny ends up one day saying they made a mistake, then tough. I won’t abandon you because that’s not what friends do.”

Tea knew that such thoughts weren’t simply born from nowhere. Given everything with Anon-a-Miss, such thoughts were bound to be raised. Tea did part from Sunset but almost immediately took a seat right by her side.

“We already told you back when Yugi first faced Kaiba.” Tristan declared. “From that day onward, you’re one of us. When you’re one of us, we won’t abandon you.”

“You’ve only proved that since.” Joey voiced. “You put your place in Duelist Kingdom on the line, secured me a chance to compete, and lent a few cards when I lost my deck. You were even dueling to secure the money for my sister. All that was you and not some other Sunset.”

“You might not have been aware of it, but you still managed to secure my grandpa’s Blue-Eyes. You also dueled with me twice against Pegasus and succeeded in helping me get his soul back. Destiny has no say because we say you belong right here no matter where you’re from.”

“You guys.” Tears of joy were forming in Sunset’s eyes, so she rubbed. “Thank you. I don’t know what life will continue to throw my way, but I glad you all decided I needed friends.”

There were many questions unanswered between Yugi and Sunset’s situations. In the end, while they would likely cause problems in the future, this group of friends would continue to meet them together. That’s not to say Sunset had no ideas on how to find at least some answers.

If anyone were to know more about her circumstance, it’d be Celestia. She was potentially a journal entry away, but for all her growth, Sunset still didn’t have it in her to brooch such an avenue. Perhaps one day. For now, she’d just be content with great friends like these.

Author's Note:

I personally found it weird that Rex never attempted to reclaim Red-Eyes from Joey, or that they never had another duel until Waking the Dragons. Ultimately, I decided to fix that here and went with the option of Battleguard King over Joey using Red-Eyes to win.

Of course, using Red-Eyes here could be a given, but I liked the theme I went with of using the same powerful monster from the last duel in a slightly different way. Not only that, but a fitting way as Joey could be seen as the equip spell user of the show.

As for Helios and Sunset's first meeting, I think reserved was the way to go. After all, Sunset only has vague memories and a feeling about this. As far as she knows, any memories that do or have cropped up prior could be from a different world.

Note: Tomorrow we fill the moving truck and will unload it at the new place Friday. As I've said before, have some expectation of a chapter come Monday, but don't be surprised if it is on a later day than that. The next chapter or chapters will cover the video game.

PreviousChapters Next