• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,146 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,146

PreviousChapters Next
Face Off

Clearing: Midday…
Thunder walked into the clearing panting and drenched in sweat before he collapsed to the ground. He still only had two-star chips to his name. Arctic walked on over and stared down at his brother as he took a long drink from a canteen.

“I tried to tell you running like some duel crazed lunatic wouldn’t get any results.” Arctic chided. “If anything, it likely drove potential opponents to move away from you.”

“Can…it…water.” Thunder managed.

“Since I didn’t hear your manners, I’m going to put this right here.” Arctic set the canteen about an arm’s length away. “Now, if you really want the water, it’ll be right here for you.”

“You…suck.” Thunder panted.

Arctic smiled. “Love you to, bro.” He then walked back to the rock where Sonata sat observing the interaction. “Once Thunder recovers, we’ll be on the move again.”

“Uhm, is he okay?” Sonata asked worried.

“Don’t worry, that’s Thunder for you.” Arctic shook his head. “Prepared or not for the deadline, he tends to tucker himself out. Should have seen him during last track season. Everyone in our neighborhood saw him run past their house at least ten times over on the daily.”

“Well, you would know him best.” Sonata shrugged at that. “So, do you really think he has a shot at making it into the castle?”

“Hard to say at this point.” Arctic responded. “Pegasus only invited forty duelists and gave them two star chips each. At eighty star chips in play, only a maximum of eight duelist can make it. On the off chance those rumors of eliminators being a thing is real, his chances do improve.”

“Do you have faith in your brother to pull this off?” Sonata asked.

“Provided we find someone he can challenge, I’m positive Thunder can do this.” Arctic voiced. “As long as he still has even one star chip, there’s always a chance. If that chance is there, I’m content waiting until the last, possible minute to reach the castle.”

Sonata looked from Arctic to Thunder, who had managed to scramble to the canteen and began downing it, in thought. This was simply confusing to her. While her sisters never abandoned her after all these years, the three of them didn’t really support one another like this.

It was just as strange as the way in which Luthor seemed to support his own brother. That said, even though Luthor and Maxwell seemed to have a bond like this, those two were still prone to fighting with each other on certain topics.

Still, their bond being like Arctic and Thunder’s in any way was strange all the same. That’s probably how the Siren would describe her time with this pair. Even with all the time she’s had, circumstance never put her in this position before. She’s never seen something this normal.

“Alright!” Thunder had finished off the canteen and now lept to his feet feeling reinvigorated. “Let’s get moving you two because I got a lot of ground to…”

Arctic had walked over and chopped the top of his head hard enough to get his attention. “Nope. First, you’re going to go fill all the canteens.” He handed over the second one. “Once they’re full, then we’ll see about finding your next opponent.”

Thunder muttered to himself in annoyance while still going off to do the task.

“Better get ready to move when he gets back Sonata.” Arctic voiced. “After filling those canteens, he’s not going to want to waste a second more here.”

“Right.” Sonata stated.

Despite being confused with what she was seeing, Sonata still had a job to do, so she’d help them find duelists. Ultimately, there wouldn’t be much to it if they simply couldn’t. Still, getting to observe how Arctic’s brother dueled could be marginally valuable to her employer.

Pegasus’ Dungeon
“Well, Kaiba?” Pegasus asked as he was met with silence. “Do you care enough to save your brother’s soul?”

Kaiba was internally enraged at the mere thought of what Pegasus would do to that card if he acted up. “You’re not…human.”

“I assure you I am merely human.” Pegasus dug into his pockets. “It is simply my extra ordinary gifts that must be tripping you up.” He threw five star chips at Kaiba’s feet. “Here, you’ll need these for your duel with Yugi.”

Kaiba didn’t understand. “Why are you doing this?”

“My reasons are none of your concern.” Pegasus responded. “Maybe I wish to enjoy a duel between you and Yugi-boy, or maybe it’s all about something you couldn’t comprehend.”

“Enough.” Kaiba declared firmly. “Just tell me what you want.”

“Want?” Pegasus crossed his arms. “I want to see if you can beat little Yugi in a duel. He has five extra star chips, so I want you to crush him in a duel with them on the line. If you succeed, you’ll have your duel with me. Beat me, and you have my word I’ll restore Mokuba’s soul.”

“For now, I have no choice but to play your game.” Kaiba declared. “As soon as I beat Yugi, I’ll be back, and you better make good on your promise to restore my brother.” He pointed at him. “If you don’t, I’ll separate yours in my own way.”

Pegasus merely chuckled at that.

Duelist Kingdom: Later…
The gang, with Mektaveus, finally emerged back on the surface of Duelist Kingdom.

“We’re out!” Joey cheered. “Fresh air at last!”

“Could not have said it better myself!” Mektaveus voiced.

Bakura’s ring was glowing once more. “My Millennium Ring is pointing to…”

“…There!” Tea finished as she pointed to the castle. “We’re right near the stairs that will lead us on up to the castle.”

“It’s only been a day and a half, yet a lot has happened to the point it feels longer.” Sunset voiced. “In the end, all of us came out the other end with enough star chips to make it in.”

For the moment, discounting Pegasus and Blue Blood, the Elemental Hero user could have only pictured herself in a tournament like this back when she was that delusional person she’d once been. After being shown a new path, Sunset never thought she’d get this far.

Tea was staring at Yugi marveling at just how far he managed to come in this. It was to the point that she almost felt like there were two Yugis. Upon thinking along those lines, she remembered the shadow game with the two Bakaras and two Yugis.

Yugi looked at her. “Is something wrong?”

Tea shook her head. “I just wondered if you…”

By this point, the rest had started the climb up the stairs before realizing their friends weren’t following.

“Hey, you two!” Joey called out interrupting her. “What’s the hold up!?”

“Hurry up or we’ll go inside without you!” Tristan added.

“You know, I don’t think you or I have much of a leg to stand on, Tristan.” Bakura smiled. “We’re not supposed to be here after all, so maybe we should wait for him.”

Tristan chuckled. “Good point.”

“Grandpa, here I come.” Yugi declared before attempting to run after them only to end up tripped on a rock.

“Ouch.” Tea smiled. “This is how you’re going to rescue your grandpa?”

Yugi got to his knees and looked back at her. “I rescued you, remember?”

That was the truth, and back then they barely knew each other. If anything, she was a jerk herself. Nothing like how Joey or Tristan had been, nor how Sunset says she was. Still, Tea regretted how she’d treated them. Especially after Yugi and Joey didn’t laugh at her dream.

In fact, they encouraged her to pursue saving enough to study dance in America. That didn’t even compare to what Yugi did next after she was lured into a trap set by their prior gym teacher. She had been knocked out in the ensuing altercation, so she didn’t know how he did it exactly.

“Tea, I asked if you remembered?” Yugi asked.

“Yeah, I remember.” Tea nodded. “But I got to ask, what was it that you did to our old gym teacher that day?”

“I don’t know.” Yugi rubbed his head. “When I came to, he was already on the ground. I don’t remember a thing about it.”

“You’re a mysterious guy, Yugi.” Tea smiled. “Do you ever feel like there’s something going on? Sometimes you feel like a completely different person. Does what I’m saying make any sense to you?”

“I know what you mean.” Yugi nodded with some concern on his face. “It feels like there is someone else inside of me. I hope I’m not losing it.”

“Well, whatever’s going on with you, both of you are really good guys.” Tea assured genuinely. “Trust me.”

Yugi smiled. “Thanks Tea.”

“Come on you two!” Mektaveus called out. “I’m considering leaving your group in the dust at this point!”

“If it’s gotten to that point, maybe we should head on back and carry them up!” Sunset joked.

“We should hurry because I think Sunset’s only half joking.” Tea laughed.

Yugi nodded. “Yeah.”

Tea and Yugi rejoined the group, and they all continued to climb the stairs together.

Stairs
As they neared the top, the group saw a particular duelist standing at the top.

“Whoa, are my eyes deceiving me or is that Seto Kaiba?” Mektaveus questioned stunned.

“No, that’s Kaiba alright.” Joey responded firmly. “The question is, what’s he doing waiting up there?”

Kaiba only cared about one person among them. “Yugi, I can’t let you pass.”

“I won enough star chips, so step aside.” Yugi ordered.

“You may have won enough star chips to qualify for the Duelist Kingdom playoffs, but I can’t allow you to face Pegasus.” Kaiba declared. “He’s mine. You and I are going to duel, and when you lose, I want all five of those extra star chips you have.”

“Can’t say this isn’t something Kaiba would do.” Sunset noted.

“Pegasus may be forcing me to duel, but this is a rematch I’ve wanted all this time.” Kaiba thought.

“Step aside Kaiba.” Yugi declared.

“Not until you agree to duel me.” Kaiba retorted.

“I’m not dueling you.” Yugi returned. “I don’t have to.”

“No longer confident your heart of the cards can win, or are you fearful since you no longer have Exodia?” Kaiba questioned. “That’s it, isn’t Yugi? You’re just afraid you can’t win a second time, coward.”

“Back off.” Tea declared. “He doesn’t need to prove a thing.”

“You want to duel smart mouth, I’ll take you!” Joey declared. “Come on, let’s duel.” Kaiba chuckled at that which riled Joey up. “Don’t laugh!”

Bakura and Tristan held him back once more.

“Down boy.” Tristan stated.

“Don’t forget the last time you dueled him.” Bakura reminded. “He defeated you without losing a single life point.”

Joey deflated over being reminded of that.

Mektaveus went wide eyed upon hearing the guy he’d just partnered with couldn’t even touch one life point of Kaiba’s. “Okay, I’m not liking who Seto Kaiba is in person but hearing that confirms he’s at least overconfident with good reason.”

Even if Mektaveus liked dueling skilled guys, Seto Kaiba was starting to sound like he was on a whole other level.

At this point, Kaiba noticed Joey’s full duel gauntlet. “Heh, I can’t believe the barking Chihuahua has ten star chips. You earn them yourself, or did Yugi throw you a few bones?”

Now Joey was riled up again. “Don’t call me any kind of dog.”

“I think that’s enough talking down to my friends Kaiba.” Sunset took a step forward. “As for a duel, I’ve wanted my chance to deflate that ego of yours, so why don’t you take me on?”

“Someone like you would only serve as a marginal challenge in comparison to Wheeler.” Kaiba retorted. “To me, the only duelist I want is Yugi. He said he won by tapping into the heart of the cards. Well, I didn’t understand what that meant for the longest time.

Now, I think I do, and it took Pegasus to show me.” He took out his pendant. “He gave me a reason to put my heart in the deck I have crafted all this time. For the first time, I can duel with fire and passion within my heart.”

“I can… see it.” Yugi stated surprised. “Kaiba has gone through a great change. This time, he’s not just dueling for himself, and that is allowing him to put his faith in his deck.”

“Yugi, it’s your call.” Sunset relented. “I mean, he is just asking you to wager those extra star chips you accumulated, so losing here won’t prevent you from having just as much a shot at Pegasus as any of us.”

“I’ve changed.” Kaiba declared. “I deserve a rematch, so give me a chance to play you for the right reasons.”

“After everything Grandpa taught me, how could I deny the heart of the cards?” Yugi thought before the puzzle glowed. “Kaiba, I accept your challenge. We’ll see just what you have really learned. Name your place!”

Kaiba smiled. “Our dueling field has been prepared. Follow me.”

Annex Roof
They ended up following Kaiba to a side of the castle where he and Yugi came to stand across from each other. Everyone else stood to the side where they’d watch this duel take place. The rematch between Yugi Muto and Seto Kaiba.

Entrance
Bandit Keith arrived before Kemo who was guarding the door. “I’m here for the duelist playoffs. I only need ten star chips, right?” He showed his completed gauntlet. “If so, I got them.”

“You qualify, but the real fun is on the annex roof.” Kemo informed. “You got to check it out.”

“Some action on the roof?” Keith walked on in. “Thanks dude. Maybe I will.”

Annex Roof
“Here’s the deal Yugi.” Kaiba showed his five star chips. “I’m wagering my five star chips against the extra five I recall you starting to tell me about before.”

“Done.” Yugi declared.

They each tossed the five wagered to the other side.

“That means when Yugi wins this he’ll have double the star chips needed to enter.” Joey declared happily.

At this point, the duel was happening, so Joey figured he might as well embrace it.

“We’ll also be using my duel disk system.” Kaiba continued. “I’ll assume you remember how these were used when it came to the mutt and I’s duel.”

“Kaiba.” Joey growled angrily.

“Hm, there’s some real tension between Joey and Seto.” Mektaveus noted.

“Take him down Yugi!” Sunset called out. “You beat Kaiba before, so you can do it again!”

“Yeah!” Tristan added.

“I haven’t seen any other finalist, so I must be the first to have arrived.” Keith walked on out to a lower portion of the roof. “Might as well kill some time by checking this out.” He was surprised by who he saw. “It’s those punks I trapped underground!

How’d they get out? I thought I’d trapped them forever.” He then looked at who Yugi was dueling. “Who’s that? Is he Seto Kaiba.” He smiled. “Well, a rematch between Yugi Muto and Seto Kaiba. This I got to see.”

He went about moving into a primo spot.

“Are you ready to duel, Kaiba?” Yugi questioned.

“This is it, Yugi.” Kaiba declared. “Whoever wins faces Pegasus first, and when I face him, you won’t get the chance after me.”

“Let’s duel!”

(Yugi 2000/Kaiba 2000)

“I’ll start.” Kaiba drew. “I activate Card of Consonance to discard any 1 Dragon-type tuner, with 1000 or less ATK to draw two cards. The monster I sent was White Stone of Legend. When it’s sent to the grave, I can add a Blue-Eyes White Dragon from my deck to my hand.

Rather than summon that, I’ll instead activate Trade-In allowing me to discard a Level 8 monster from my hand to the grave and draw two more cards. Then, I activate Dragon’s Shrine allowing me to send any Dragon-type monster I wish from my deck to the grave.

Provided the card I sent was a Normal monster, I can send an additional Dragon-type monster from my deck to the grave. Finally, I’ll summon Familiar Knight(LV 3/1200/1400).” A warrior in pristine, full armor appeared. “Your move Yugi.”


“Whoa, Kaiba went about a lot of discarding and drawing.” Joey noted. “What is he up to?”

“I’d like to know that as well.” Mektaveus stated. “Especially since he discarded at least one of those Blue-Eyes White Dragons I hear he has.”

“Well, Blue-Eyes White Dragon isn’t the only Blue-Eyes card Kaiba has.” Sunset vividly remembered Joey’s duel with Kaiba. “In fact, his deck is likely chalk full of various Blue-Eyes cards meaning he must be planning something.”

“On your guard.” Yugi drew. “I’ll summon my Celtic Guardian(LV 4/1400/1200).” An elf warrior in green armor appeared.

“Hm, well done.” Kaiba stated. “You monster has a superior ATK rather than a simple effect.”

“Don’t patronize me.” Yugi retorted.

“Yugi, I know from playing you that you’re a talented duelist, but you’re just not as good as I am.” Kaiba raised his head a bit. “Listen up. Only one duelist is going to face Pegasus first, and that will be.”

“Wrong.” Yugi declared.

“Then attack and find out.” Kaiba retorted. “What’s the matter Yugi? No faith in your monster.”

“You’ll see.” Yugi stated. “He’s mightier than yours. Go Celtic Guardian! Attack Familiar Knight!” Celtic Guardian sliced through Familiar Knight destroying him (Yugi 2000/Kaiba 1800). “There, you’re Familiar Knight is no more.”

“You’re good, but easily persuaded.” Kaiba smiled. “Destroying my knight was exactly what I wanted.”

“He’s bluffing!” Joey called out. “You already got Kaiba on the ropes! Go Yugi!”

“It’s not a bluff because my Knight had a special ability.” Kaiba declared. “When he’s destroyed by battle and sent to the grave, both players can special summon any one Level 4 monster from our hands. I choose Rare Metal Dragon(LV 4/2400/1200).”

“That’s a Level 4 monster!?” Joey exclaimed shocked. “It’s got just as much ATK as my Red-Eyes!”

“That effect of yours might have gifted you with a strong monster, but it still allows me to summon a second monster.” Yugi declared. “You’re not the only one with a strong Level 4 monster. I summon Zombyra the Dark(LV 4/2100/500).” A warrior in black armor with a red and purple cape appeared.

“A strong monster that might be, but it’s not strong enough to overcome my dragon.” Kaiba declared.

“You are right about that; however, I am not without options.” Yugi stated. “I can set two cards before ending my turn.”

“My turn!” Kaiba drew. “I will have my dragon destroy your Zombyra.”

“During damage calculations, I activate my first face down Ambush Shield.” Yugi countered. “With this, I can tribute my Celtic Guardian and grant Zombyra the Dark(LV 4/3300/500 effect) a permanent ATK increase equal to the tributed monster’s DEF.”

“Nice one Yugi!” Tristan cheered.

“A valiant attempt, but this spell card will make that move a waste.” Kaiba declared. “I activate Shrink allowing me half the original ATK of any monster on the field. I’m targeting your Zombyra the Dark(LV 4/2250/500 effect) meaning he’s just weak enough to fall.”

Rare Metal Dragon destroyed the warrior (Yugi 1850/Kaiba 1800).

“You managed to clear my field Kaiba, but I’d still say we’re evenly matched due to the tied scores combined with field presence.” Yugi declared.

“Hm, Yugi doesn’t suspect that all my maneuvers, clever as they are, are done with a purpose.” Kaiba thought. “Whether it be keeping Yugi in the dark or setting everything up, it’s all falling into place. Soon, I’ll unleash a field that is absolutely devastating!”

Kaiba could clearly see exactly what he intended to do in his mind as three monster cards rose behind him. One with a purple border, one with a white border, and one with a black border. Three powerful monsters that would end this duel in his victory.

“Man, this is one intense duel.” Tristan commented.

“Remember Tristan, Yugi beat Kaiba once before.” Bakura reminded.

“I want Yugi to win just as much as you do Bakura, but Kaiba’s skills don’t compare to their first duel.” Sunset voiced. “That loss Yugi handed him only spurred the guy to new heights, so Yugi will need to match that if he wants to win.”

Keith had reached a tower and chuckled. “Man, look at these two jokers.” He pushed his sunglasses up. “They’re really going at it. That’s fine by me because I got the best seat in the house for scooping out the competition.”

He could see every card in Seto’s hand.

“Kaiba is trying to finish me off quickly.” Yugi was studying his opponent carefully. “That’s just not like him. He enjoys toying with his opponents almost as much as he enjoys winning. Since coming to this island, he’s all business.”

“What’s the matter Yugi?” Kaiba smiled. “You look a bit worried. Finally realizing that without your precious Exodia, you don’t stand a chance against me?”

“I don’t need Exodia to beat you, Kaiba.” Yugi declared.

“We’ll see how you feel as I go about completing my turn.” Kaiba stated. “While my Battle Phase is through, I have yet to normal summon. While I will do that, I’ll first conduct a special summon by sending another Blue-Eyes White Dragon from my deck to the grave.”

“Ah, that’s familiar.” Joey noted a little worried.

Mektaveus picked up on it. “Hm, what’s coming?”

“A monster that contributed to Joey taking none of Kaiba’s life points when they dueled.” Sunset responded seriously.

Kaiba continued. “Here comes my Dictator of D.(LV 4/1200/1100).” A spellcaster in Blue-Eyes White Dragon armor appeared.

“That monster was able to contribute to a perfect duel on Kaiba’s part?” Mektaveus inquired. “It must have some effect beyond being special summoned.”

“This monster has plenty of effects, but neither of its remaining ones can be used without a certain card from my hand.” Kaiba smiled. “The thing is, I’d rather play the card I have in order to access a different play.

I summon Protector with Eyes of Blue(LV 1/0/0).” A man with white hair and blue eyes appeared. “When this monster is normal summoned, I can add any 1 Level 1 Light tuner monster I wish from my grave to my hand. I’ll add back my White Stone of Legends.”

“Wait, his effect adds back any 1 Level 1 Light Tuner monster, and it is also a Level 1 Light monster.” Yugi was putting the pieces together. “All your Level 1 Light monsters are tuner monsters!”

“Well done putting it together Yugi, but it hardly matters. I have every piece I need to perform an extra deck summon.” Kaiba declared. “Protector will tune up Rare Metal Dragon and Dictator of D. to Synchro for 9.

This monster rends your field, hand, and grave! Synchro summon Trishula Dragon of the Ice Barrier(LV 9/2700/2000).” A three headed ice white dragon appeared roaring as Yugi’s hand, only card on the field, being his set card, and grave began glowing an icy blue.

“That monster…” Yugi looked from it to the glowing sections of his field. “What have you summoned Kaiba!?”

“A monster that does as I described.” Kaiba declared. “When Trishula is Synchro summoned, she banishes one card on your field and from your grave. In addition, one last card is banished at random from your hand. Your set card, Zombyra, and a card form your hand are history!”

Yugi lost his set Nutrient Z, Zombyra, and the card snatched from his hand was Dark Magician.

“That dragon is huge trouble.” Bakura commented.

“Perhaps, but I think a monster with that kind of effect has nothing more to it.” Sunset stated. “While Yugi took a big hit because of it, he still has cards to play and gets to draw one card come his next turn.”

“You lost your Dark Magician and quite the powerful set card along with it.” Kaiba smiled. “What will you possibly do now against the might of Trishula?”

“End your turn and allow me to show you!” Yugi declared.

“Very well.” Kaiba stated. “I’ll set this last card in my hand and end my turn. You’re move.”

“I draw!” The card Yugi drew could be perfect. “I activate Pot of Greed allowing me to draw two cards.” He smirked. “Two of these cards in my hand will show you exactly what I plan to do about your Trishula, Kaiba. I summon my Blue-Eyes White Dragon(LV 8/3000/2500).” The white dragon with blue eyes rose on Yugi’s field.”

“Hm, seeing a copy of my dragon on your field is something I’ve moved past Yugi.” Kaiba smirked. “In fact, you’re probably the only duelist in this world worthy to wield such a card besides me. Even so, only one of us is a master of the Blue-Eyes.”

“You may be the master of the Blue-Eyes, but my deck is the Magician with Eyes of Blue.” Yugi declared. “When one-piece falls, the other can inherit some of the cards within this deck. Once such card is my Horn of the Unicorn.

This equip spell grants my Blue-Eyes White Dragon(LV 8/3700/3200 equip) 700 more ATK and DEF. While she was more than enough to destroy Trishula before, this will ensure her attack truly hurts. Go, White Lighting!”

Blue-Eyes White Dragon blasted Trishula destroying her (Yugi 1850/Kaiba 800).

“Oh yeah!” Joey declared happily. “Yugi just managed to take out Kaiba’s strong Synchro and has his own powerhouse on the field!”

“Yeah, this puts Kaiba at a massive disadvantage.” Tristan added.

“I want to think that as well, but then why isn’t Kaiba worried in the slightest?” Sunset thought concerned.

“Just as you did last turn, I’ll set one card to end mine.” Yugi declared. “Your move.”

Kaiba drew. “I’ll activate my own Pot of Greed to draw two cards myself.” Once he saw what he got, the Blue-Eyes user chuckled. “Everything falls exactly into place. Get ready Yugi because I'm about to do what hasn’t been done before.

It all starts with the spell Soul Release which allows me to target any five cards in either graveyard. Then, those cards are banished. I’ll choose the three Blue-Eyes, two sent through Dragon’s Shrine and one through Trade-In, Dictator of D., and Rare Metal Dragon.”

“Why would Kaiba banish five of his own monsters?” Joey questioned.

“I’m not sure, but I got a bad feeling about this.” Sunset voiced.

“She’s right to feel that way because this card pairs well with the trap I set at the end of my last turn.” Kaiba declared. “I activate Return from the Different Dimension!”

Yugi went wide eyed as he realized Kaiba had been building this up from the first turn. “Oh no!”

“That’s right Yugi.” Kaiba grinned. “This trap requires I pay half my life points, but that’s a small price for the ability to special summon as many of my removed from play monsters as possible.”

“What!?” Tea, Joey, and Tristan exclaimed.

“He just sent five to the banished zone.” Mektaveus stated in shock.

“Any monster summoned through this effect also returns to the banished zone at the End Phase, but that will hardly matter.” Kaiba declared (Yugi 1850/Kaiba 400). “I special summon Rare Metal Dragon, Dictator of D., and 3 Blue-Eyes White Dragon(LV 8/3000/2500).”

All five monsters appeared on Kaiba’s field.

“None of those monsters are strong enough to compete with Yugi’s Blue-Eyes.” Joey tried weakly.

He was more than aware of what having monsters with similar levels meant, but the owner of Red-Eyes was hoping that wasn’t what Kaiba was planning. In a way, he was right while also being oh so wrong.”

“Yugi, when you battled me prior, I never could have pulled off what I’m about to do this turn.” Kaiba stated. “Now, I have the skill. I initiate a contact fusion between two of my Blue-Eyes White Dragons. Twin headed Blue-Eyes who never loses a battle, descend.

Fusion summon Blue-Eyes Twin Burst Dragon(LV 10/3000/2500).” A two headed, white dragon with blue eyes appeared. “Now, I normal summon my White Stone of Legends(LV 1/300/250).” A white stone appeared. “With it, I give my last dragon a tune up to Synchro for 9.

Spirit of the Blue-Eyes descend and subjugate my opponent’s field. Synchro summon Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon(LV 9/2500/3000) in defense mode.” The spirit of the white dragon with blue eyes appeared curled up on Kaiba’s field. “Finally, I overlay Dictator of D. and Rare Metal Dragon.

Descend, dragon of lightning and strike my opponent. Xyz summon Blue-Eyes Riser Dragon(R 4/O 2/2500/2000).” A lanky, white dragon with blue eyes appeared surrounded by a currently dull, white glow.

Everyone looked at what Kaiba achieved in utter shock.

“He managed to perform every extra deck summon.” Keith was genuinely shocked. “How the hell did he ever lose to Yugi Muto?”

Obviously, he knew how it happened, but seeing this made the American question just how Yugi Muto was ever able to gather all the pieces of Exodia in the first place.

“Kaiba just performed all three summoning methods in one turn.” Bakura commented.

“Seto might have performed the three extra deck methods, but none of them are stronger than Yugs’ Blue-Eyes!” Joey shouted.

“That’s right!” Tristan shouted. “None of those monsters are strong enough to overcome him!”

“Someone like Kaiba wouldn’t make a mistake like this.” Sunset stated warily. “Those monsters might not be enough to destroy Yugi as they are, but they’ll have their effects that could make them enough. His only way to overcome them is if that card he set is one heck of a card.”

“You certainly managed to pull something off here Kaiba, but none of your monsters are strong enough to overcome my own Blue-Eyes.” Yugi declared.

“Not for long.” Kaiba declared. “By detaching 1 overly unit form Riser Dragon, I can target 1 monster on my field or in my graveyard. Riser Dragon then gains ATK equal to half that monster’s original ATK until the end of the turn.

If I choose a monster on the field, that monster can no longer ATK this turn; however, Riser Dragon then can’t be targeted or destroyed by card effects until the end of this turn. The monster I target is Blue-Eyes Twin Burst Dragon.

Blue-Eyes Rising Dragon(R 4/O 1/4000/2000 effect)

“This isn’t good.” Joey stated worriedly. “Even though Yugi will survive this turn, Blue Eyes is his strongest main deck monster. That means his only chance to win would be to somehow resummon it next turn and destroy Riser Dragon.”

“He’d also need to hope that effect isn’t a Quick-Play one.” Sunset stated just as worried. “That’s not even accounting for the fact that Horn of the Unicorn has one last effect. In a few situations, it’d be great, but not in one where Yugi’s hand is empty.”

“What does she mean?” Mektaveus asked.

“Yugi’s Horn of the Unicorn returns to the top of his deck upon being destroyed from the field.” Tristan informed. “That means next turn that’d be the card he draws, and Yugi would be unable to summon. Per the rules, if a duelist controls no monsters, and can’t summon any, they lose.”

“Riser Dragon, destroy Yugi’s Blue-Eyes with White Piercer!” Kaiba declared.

Riser Dragon roared as its glow became brighter. She ascended into the air and spun until her glow became a brilliant, white spiral that was heading right for Yugi’s Blue-Eyes.

“I activate my face down Soul Shield.” Yugi countered. “By halving my own life points, this card allows me to negate the destruction of a monster by battle and immediately ends the Battle Phase meaning I take nothing from your attack (Yugi 925/Kaiba 400).”

“Surviving this turn means nothing but prolonging the inevitable, Yugi.” Kaiba declared angrily. “Don’t think this means you’re going to win this duel next turn either. I activate Blue-Eyes Riser Dragon(R 4/O 0/4000/2000)’s second effect by detaching her remaining overlay unit.

With this, I can destroy up to every card on my field. In return, no matter the number of cards destroyed, I can draw 1 card. I now destroy every monster on my field meaning whatever you manage next turn won’t touch my life points.”

Riser Dragon, Spirit Dragon, and Twin Burst Dragon blew up going to Kaiba’s grave before he drew a single card. Despite his prior strategy falling through, this next one held promise. A two-card combo that could finally end this duel if he managed to draw the second on his next turn.

“Alright, Yugi managed to stop Kaiba in his tracks and forced him to wipe his own field!” Tristan declared.

“Way to go Yugi!” Joey cheered. “You the man!”

“That was an amazing set card!” Sunset added.

Bakura and Mektaveus were just smiling at how Yugi managed to weather that play.

“That’s just like Yugi.” Tea thought happily. “Even when things seem bad, he finds a way to overcome his opponent.”

“I might have been hasty before because that Yugi punk is good.” Keith thought genuinely.

“What do you have now Kaiba?” Joey questioned. “Yugi weathered your turn with ease.”

“This duel isn’t over yet.” Kaiba declared. “I set one card and end my turn.”

“Your attack failed, and while you managed to prevent your loss, your time is running out.” Yugi drew Kuriboh. “You never should have challenged me, Kaiba. I end my turn.”

Kaiba stared at the back of the card, the one his dragon gave him, he set on his last turn. “Ring of Destruction…I could have activated it and ended the game in a draw. A draw is not what Pegasus wants. A draw won’t let me face him to rescue Mokuba.

That means I need the one card in my deck that can pair with this trap to win this. I can’t allow this duel to go any further than this turn. For Mokuba, I need to have absolute trust in this next draw to be the card I need, or there’s no certainty in victory.”

Kaiba slowly drew his card and looked at it in disbelief. “Ring of Defense…” He regained his game face. “This duel is over Yugi because I just drew the card that will defeat you! First, I activate my face down Ring of Destruction!”

“You talk about how that card in your hand would hand me a defeat, but all your doing is ending this in a tie.” Yugi declared in disbelief.

“No Yugi, I just told you that this card in my hand will defeat you, and I meant it.” Kaiba declared. “Ring of Destruction allows me to destroy any 1 face-up monster on the field, and your Blue-Eyes is the only target.” Blue-Eyes was fitted with a collar and obliterated.

“Then, we’re both dealt damage equal to that monster’s ATK. In the end, you will be the only one to take that damage because I activate the quick-play spell Ring of Defense. This allows me to make any effect damage I might take from a trap card 0.”

(Yugi 0/Kaiba 400)

“I…lost.” Yugi muttered.

Everyone who was watching this duel was utterly stunned. Yugi collapsed to his knees in disbelief before it turned into an expression of shock. Looking at his face, it wasn’t at losing this duel. By the way Yugi ended looked at himself, it seemed like shock at having felt that way.

Entrance
Kemo phoned Pegasus. “Master Pegasus, the battle between Yugi and Kaiba was decided with Seto Kaiba coming out the victor.”

“Thank you, Kemo.” Pegasus stated.

“Shall I allow Seto Kaiba to enter the castle, sir?” Kemo asked.

“Yes, a deal is a deal.” Pegasus responded.

Annex Roof
Mektaveus just stood back still in shock over the duel he saw. “Seto Kaiba and Yugi Muto are multiple levels beyond any duelist I’ve ever seen!”

Tea, Bakura, Tristan, Joey, and Sunset all ran to Yugi’s side.

“Whoa man, it’s okay.” Joey reassured. “Even though you lost to Kaiba, you put up one heck of duel.”

“Another presence.” Yugi was just in shock. “I’ve thought about him before, but this was the first time I’ve truly noticed him.”

“Another presence?” Joey questioned. “Inside you?”

“What are you talking about buddy?” Tristan asked.

“This is more like Bakura’s situation, but whoever is inside Yugi isn’t like that other Bakura.” Sunset pondered on this. “In that case, what did losing this duel do to that other Yugi? Why did it provoke such a strong emotion to the point that Yugi truly noticed him?”

“Like me, Yugi has an ancient spirit in his puzzle.” Bakura responded for Yugi.

“I don’t understand.” Yugi really couldn’t grasp how losing a duel with such low stakes affected this other version of himself like this. “I mean, Kaiba gets to face Pegasus first, but we still have ten star chips. Even if its Kaiba, this duel was for fun.”

“I have everything I need, so I no longer need to stick around.” Kaiba had gathered his hard-earned star chips and left the group. “Now that I’ve beaten Yugi, it’s time I duel Pegasus into the ground and get my brother’s soul back.”

Author's Note:

Let's talk about Seto Kaiba beating Yugi Muto. Maybe some of you can tell I had this outcome planned from the beginning considering Yugi was five star chips over the ten needed to enter the castle. Regardless of whether you noticed it, this happened.

I'll be honest, I've been thinking over this duel since the very first chapter. I mulled over having it go like canon, Yugi wining(without having Kaiba kill himself mind you), and having it end in a draw. Ultimately, I decided on lowering the stakes for Yugi.

This gave Seto a legitimate win to enter the castle on while avoiding the Kaiba attempting to off himself plot point. I understand why he did it, but even when I saw it as a kid, I didn't like it. Beyond even that, it gives a reversal to this situation between Yugi and Atem.

Rather than Yugi being scared of Atem, Atem is in utter disbelief he lost a duel even though he doesn't have the memory to understand why he feels this way. This means Yugi will need to prop up Atem rather than Atem trying to convince Yugi to let him help.

It still plays into teaching kindness and gives Yugi earlier leeway as a protagonist in his own right. For those of you who might say this ends the rivalry between Kaiba and Yugi, I already know how it will continue after Duelist Kingdom. Don't you worry about that.

PreviousChapters Next