• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,148 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,148

PreviousChapters Next
Lady Luck & Own Two Feet

Beach: Evening…
So, the two of them moved to the nearby duel field with Thunder taking the blue side and Duke taking the red side.

“Alright, how many star chips will we wager on this?” Thunder asked.

“How do you feel about three?” Duke asked as he took out that number of star chips.

“Even if I lose here, I’ve already proven I can work my way up from one, so two would be an improvement.” Thunder matched him with a confident smile. “Sounds good to me.”

“Then, let Lady Luck shine on her favorite.” Duke declared.

They set their chips and decks on the console.

“Let’s Duel!”

(Thunder 2000/Duke 2000)

“Since you challenged me, I’ll take the first turn.” Thunder drew. “I’ll summon my Skilled White Magician(LV 4/1700/1900).” A spellcaster in white robes appeared. “This monster gains a spell counter every time either of us activates a spell.

I’ll save the importance of that for later and simply follow up by activating my Card of Consonance. By discard a Dragon Tuner with 1000 or less ATK from my hand, I can draw two cards. Activating this spell grants my Magician his first counter. I’ll then set one card and pass.”

“Hm, this is looking like a strange deck.” Duke drew. “I’ll start by summoning my Blowback Dragon(LV 6/2300/1200).” A machine dragon with a gun for a head appeared. “I’ll have him destroy your Skilled White Magician.

“Nice try, but I activate my trap card Hunter’s Talisman.” Thunder countered. “This card allows me to target a monster I control. Until the end of the turn, it can’t be destroyed by battle, and all damage I take from battles involving him is halved.”

(Thunder 1700/Duke 2000)

“Not bad, but Blowback Dragon has his own effect.” Duke declared. “Once per turn, I can toss three coins. If at least two of those results are heads, your monster is destroyed.”

“Another luck-based play.” Thunder smiled. “Alright, let me see what you get.”

“Here goes nothing!” Duke declared.

Three holographic coins appeared before his dragon and flipped all at the same time. The results were one heads and two tails.

“Heh, looks like your monster is safe.” Duke smiled. “I’ll set two cards and end my turn.”

“Since you didn’t destroy my monster, it means I’m taking the lead this turn!” Thunder drew. “I’ll summon The Hunter with 7 Weapons(LV 3/1000/600).” A bald headed, muscular man with seven weapons on his back appeared.

“Whenever he’s normal summoned, I can declare 1 type of monster, and he’ll then gain 1000 ATK every time he battles that type of monster during damage calculations. Considering you have Blowback Dragon, Machine type is the obvious choice.”

“Even with a boost, your monster would be 300 hundred too weak to beat mine.” Duke retorted.

“You’re right which is why I’ll activate my Hunter’s Reversal.” Thunder countered. “This spell allows me to target 1 monster I control and 1 monster you control before permanently switching their ATK. I’ll switch my Hunter’s ATK with your Blowback’s.

The Hunter with 7 Weapons(LV 3/2300/600effect)
Blowback Dragon(LV 6/1000/1200effect)

“Before I attempt to end this, I will point out that was another spell card meaning my Magician gains his second counter.” Thunder continued. “Now, my Hunter will attack your Blockback Dragon to swing for game!”

The Hunter with 7 Weapons(LV 3/3300/600effect)

“I have just the card to deal with high attack values.” Duke declared. “My first face down is Enchanted Javelin which grants me life points equal to the current attack of any one attacking monster. That would be your hunter.”

The life points were gained before the attack went through (Thunder 1700/Duke 2000-5300-3000).

“Alright, good to see you were at least as good as I was expecting.” Thunder stated pleased his opponent was holding up.

“Just you wait because the effects don’t stop there.” Duke responded. “When a Dark Machine monster I control is destroyed, I can special summon Desperado Barrel Dragon(LV 8/2800/2200) from my hand.”

A dark machine dragon with guns for arms and a face appeared. “During either Battle Phase, in exchange for not attacking that turn, I can flip 3 coins and destroy 1 monster for every heads I get.”

“That means you only need one heads, as opposed to the two from before, to destroy just one of my monsters.” Thunder commented.

“If I get two, I can clear your board.” Duke smiled. “So, let’s flip those coins!” The coins appeared and flipped once more coming up with two heads out of the three coins. “With two heads, my dragon clears your field. Go, Desperado Devastation!”

Desperado Dragon held out its arms and blasted Thunder’s two monsters destroying them.

“Not only did he keep himself in the game, but he managed to come out of this turn better than he entered.” Thunder smiled. “Now, this is an opponent!” He grabbed one card from his hand. “I’ll set one card and end my turn.”

“My move!” Duke drew. “First, I’ll activate my remaining face down Proton Blast. This trap alone doesn’t have an effect, but I can fix that thanks to the Battle Phase.”

“What’s the point of entering that phase when the rules say we can only attack directly through card effects or at opposing monsters?” Thunder questioned. “Is that your trap’s effect?”

“Nah, there’s just no rule preventing me from entering the Battle Phase, opposing monsters or not, and I just need to enter this phase in order to trigger my dragon’s special ability once more.” Duke declared. “Let’s flip those coins!”’

“What is he doing?” Thunder couldn’t understand what his opponent’s game was. “Is he attempting to destroy his own monster?”

The coins flipped coming up with one heads out of the three flipped coins.

“Now, my dragon can destroy one monster, but I’ll choose not to utilize that.” Duke declared. “I will utilize my Proton Blast which has effects that can be activated in sequence for every heads I get through a coin flip.”

“What!?” Thunder exclaimed.

“You heard me.” Duke responded. “When I get one heads, this card deals my opponent 500 life points of damage (Thunder 1200/Duke 3000). With that, I’ll end my turn.”

“That dragon of his can flip coins every battle phase, and the odds are high that at least one of those coins will come up heads meaning any monster I summon will be destroyed that phase.” Thunder reasoned. “Additionally, I’ll then take five hundred life points of damage.

That’s not even accounting for the possible effects that come with more than one heads. That means I need my monster that can negate his dragon’s effects before proceeding with anything big.” He drew before raising an eyebrow. “Not exactly what I want, but it works.”

“Draw something good?” Duke asked.

“You bet I did.” Thunder responded. “Since I control no face-up cards, I can activate Lightning Storm. This can destroy all face-up monsters, or spell/trap cards you control. I’ll destroy your monster.”

“Nice try, but my dragon has one last effect.” Duke grinned. “When he’s sent to the grave, I can add any level seven or lower monster, with a coin flip effect, from my deck to my hand. While not as strong as Desperado, the original Barrel Dragon still gives me a three coin flip effect.”

“He countered me again!” Thunder was shocked and impressed that every tactic has been stonewalled. “What do I do now? Let’s see… in my hand, I have Buster Blader and Pot of Greed. That means I could use Pot of… Wait, I used Card of Consonance earlier.

With that card’s effect, I discarded Buster Whelp, and my face down is Call of the Haunted. Depending on what I get with Pot of Greed, I can effectively shut down his combo!” He grinned. “Time to take this duel to the next level!

I activate Pot of Greed allowing me to draw two cards.” He drew and his smile widened. “Perfect. I’ll summon one of my best monsters in Buster Blader(LV 7/2600/2300).” A warrior in black and gold appeared.

“I’ll now activate my face down, Call of the Haunted. With this, I can summon my Buster Whelp of the Destruction Swordsman(LV 1/400/300) I sent to the grave for the effects of Card of Consonance.” A small, white dragon appeared.

“Well, looks like he’s got plenty of fight left in him.” Duke thought. “Show me what you got.”

“It’s time for my Buster Whelp to give Buster Blader a tune up to Synchro for eight.” Thunder continued. “When darkness overtakes the soul of a once treasured friend, dark power is released. Synchro summon Buster Dragon(LV 8/1200/2800) in defense position.”

A large, black dragon appeared curled up on Thunder’s field. “His first effect will make any monster you control Dragon type. That matters because his second effect kicks in. If I do not control Buster Blader(LV 7/2600/2300) I can special summon him from my grave.”

“That means any monster I now summon will only power up your monster.” Duke smiled. “Not bad.”

“That’s not all because one of my last two cards is Hunter’s Sacrifice.” Thunder declared. “This card targets one monster I control and deals half their ATK to you as damage provided I destroy them.

Having said that, destruction only kicks in provided they’re the only monster on the field. If I control at least one other monster, that monster saves the other from destruction. So, I’ll target my Buster Blader dealing you 1300 life points of damage (Thunder 1200/Duke 1700).”

“Not bad, but I still have my Barrel Dragon in hand.” Duke reminded. “That means next turn I could potentially wipe your field again.”

“Trust me, I haven’t forgotten.” Thunder smiled. “I end my turn.”

“It’s clear he’s got something planned to deal with Barrel Dragon.” Duke drew before smiling. “That just means I may need to take this beyond what I intended.” He grabbed his intended monster. “Time to see if Lady Luck permits me to end this duel right now. I summon Barrel Dragon(LV 7/2600/2200).” A black version of the prior dragon appeared.

Buster Blader(LV 7/3100/2300effect)

“I activate the effect of Effect Veiler from my hand.” Thunder declared. “On your turn, by sending this card from my hand to the grave, I can target any monster you control and negate their effect until the end of the turn.”

“Like I said, Lady Luck will determine whether I win this turn.” Duke declared. “I activate Dimension Dice. By paying 1000 life points, I can roll a dice and activate one of three effects with each effect being tied to two numbers on that die. Roll my dice!”

(Thunder 1200/Duke 700) The die rolled coming up as a six. “By the effect of Dimension Dice, a five or six allows me the ability to special summon 1 level five or higher monster form my hand. I choose Orgoth the Relentless(LV 7/2500/2450).”

A purple armored warrior was depicted on the card.

Buster Blader(LV 7/3600/2300 effect)

“Two level seven monsters…” Thunder stared at the field suddenly feeling on edge. “Are you planning on…”

“Orgoth himself has many effects and could potentially close out this duel himself; however, you’ve fought well.” Duke smiled. “That’s why I’m going to show you something special. I build the overlay network with my two level seven monsters.

By overlaying these two monsters, I call forth the strongest version of Orgoth there is. Xyz summon Orgoth the Dimensional Lord(R 7/O2/2800/2500).” A monster in black armor with purple accents appeared before taking on the features of dragon due to Buster Dragon.

Buster Blader(LV 7/3100/2300 effect)

“Am I to assume there’s an effect to that monster?” Thunder questioned. “If not, I don’t see why you’d consider him more powerful than Desperado.”

“I’ll admit that his true power is sealed because I didn’t Xyz summon using an Xyz monster, but what power he does have should be enough.” Duke responded. “By detaching 1 overlay unit, this card gains 500 ATK, and a monster you control, of my choosing, losses 1000 ATK.”

Thunder went wide eyed at that. “What!?”

“If you think that’s impressive, this is an ability with no turn restriction, so I’ll activate it twice. Go, Dimensional Gainer on Buster Blader!” Duke declared.

Orgoth the Dimensional Lord(R 7/O0/3800/2500 effect)
Buster Blader(LV 7/1100/2300 effect)

“Now, My Dimensional Lord will end this by destroying Buster Blader.” Duke declared. “Go, Dimensional Slice!”

Orgoth rushed forward and sliced through Buster Blader destroying him. Thunder merely smiled as his defeat came (Thunder 0/Duke 700). With the duel having reached its conclusion, the duelists met back on the ground where Duke was handed three star chips giving him eight total.

“So, you had a way to beat me before that Xyz summon of yours?” Thunder inquired.

“Potentially, but I felt you’d earned seeing something more.” Duke took out his Orgoth the Relentless. “Depending on weather Lady Luck would be kind, this card’s effects can be game changing or ending. Firstly, every Main Phase, I can roll three six sided die. This card then gains 100 ATK/DEF equal to the total of the roll until the end of your next turn.”

“If you’d only summoned him, and I hadn’t negated his effects, then the three rolled as a six would have been enough to beat me.” Thunder reasoned.

“If I’d rolled two sixs or fives, I’d have enough.” Duke responded. “See, Orgoth’s second effect kicks in if two of the results are the same. 1 or 2, he can’t be destroyed by battle or card effect. 3 or 4, I can draw 2 cards. 5 or 6, this monster gets to attack directly. If the result ends up as three of a kind, no matter the number, I can activate every one of those effects.”

“Holy, that is something else.” Thunder shook his head before smiling. “Anyways, I should really get back to my campsite and see if my brother has had any luck.”

“Hopefully you find the duelist who lost that deck.” Duke nodded. “If I come across anyone meeting the criteria of what you’ve said, I’ll be sure to direct them to you.”

“Thanks, that’d be appreciated.” Thunder stated genuinely before taking off. “Just like that, I’m back to square one. Considering I was below that after my duel with Joey, this is a marginal improvement. As long as I have star chips, I will keep trying to get the ten I need.”

Clearing
Rex and Joey rose on the red and blue sides respectively. Yugi, Tea, and Sunset stood near Joey on the right of the field while Mai was near Rex to the left of the field.

“We believe in you Joey!” Tea shouted. “Just don’t forget what you’re fighting for!”

Joey glanced at her while sweating a bit before attempting to focus up. “What I’m fighting for… I got that part down. It’s who I’m fighting that’s making me sweat.”

“Rex, don’t forget how our deal’s shaped out!” Mai called out. “First you defeat Joey and follow it up with Sunset. Beat them both, and you’ll get your duel with me.”

“For how things have turned out, this should be nice and simple.” Rex grinned. “This duel shouldn’t take long. After all, what can some dueling monkey really do?”

“Big words coming from a regional finalist.” Joey declared angered by the comment. “I mean, I’m no big shot duelist like you, so it’s not that bad dueling in the place of someone else. You? What’s your excuse?”

“Hm, the words of some nobody hardly matter.” Rex retorted. “I bet your deck is some hastily thrown together hodgepodge.”

“You can find out just what my deck is made of once we get started, wise guy.” Joey retorted.

“Let’s Duel!”

(Joey 2000/Rex 2000)

“My best bet will be to hit him hard and fast which is something my deck excels at.” Joey thought.

“I was going to let you have the first turn, but if you’re too scared to take it…” Rex began.

“Joey Wheeler isn’t scared of nothin’.” Joey declared. “Come the end of the duel, you’ll regret letting me go first.”

Sunset was still conflicted over how everything turned out. Even though she had faith in Joey, that didn’t change the fact that her agreeing to what Joey wanted caused some trouble. As for Yugi, he glanced form the field to the direction Tristan took off in.

“Hey Tea, keep rooting Joey on for me.” Yugi stated. “I got to go see about something.”

Sunset had an idea of where he was going. “I’m going with him, so cheer twice as much.”

“Wha… Yugi! Sunset!” Tea yelled after them.

Joey drew. “Alright, now this is a hand.” He chuckled to himself only to noticed that two of his friends were gone. “Huh, where did Yugi and Sunset go?” He focused back on his duel. “Oh well, just wait until they see what I did all by myself.” He took a card from his hand. “I’ll summon my Sublimation Knight(LV 3/1300/200).” A steampunk knight appeared.

“That’s a knight?” Rex scoffed. “Looks to me like he left his training a little too early.”

“Shows what you know because my knight’s got one heck of an effect.” Joey countered. “When he’s normal or special summoned, I can equip him with 1 Fire Warrior or Gemini monster from my hand or deck.

I’ll equip him with Evocator Eveque from my deck.” A warrior in red armor with a matching scarf and flaming mace appeared kneeling behind Sublimation Knight. “A monster equipped through this effect grants Sublimation Knight(LV 3/1800/200 effect) five hundred ATK.”

“Whoa, that was great Joey!” Tea cheered.

“Gr, lucky opener.” Rex retorted.

“Say whatever makes you feel better because it doesn’t change what’s on the field.” Joey stated. “By the way, I end my turn with one set card.”

“I’ll show you just how lucky you were.” Rex drew. “I activate the effect of two Gilasaurus(:V 3/1400/400) from my hand. I can special summon them to my field in exchange for you being able to special summon from your grave.” He smirked. “You can’t summon a thing because you have nothing to summon.”

“Heh, those two monsters don’t compare to my Knight.” Joey retorted.

“They don’t have to because I’m constructing the overlay network with my two level 3 monsters.” Rex declared. “Xyz summon Grenosaurus(R 3/O 2/2000/1900).” A flaming Tyrano appeared.

“That’s right.” Joey sweat dropped as he recalled Yugi’s story about his duel with Penumbra. “When a duelist gets two monsters with the same level on the field, they can overlay them into something stronger.”

“This dino is a strong one.” Rex declared. “Allow me to show you as he destroys Sublimation Knight (Joey 1800/Rex 2000). That’s not all because when this monster destroys one of your monsters by battle, I can detach an overlay unit to burn you for one thousand damage.”

Grenosaurus(R 3/O 1/2000/1900)

“Heh, nice card, but I’ll chain my face down Hyper Refresh. This quick-play can only activate if the combined ATK of every monster you control is higher than my life points, and I control no monsters. If all of that is met, I can double my life points.” Joey countered.

(Joey 3600-2600/Rex 2000)

“Alright!” Tea cheered. “Way to go Joey!”

“Gr, those extra life points won’t keep your safe.” Rex stated.

“Not alone they won’t, but Sublimation Knight has a second effect that activates if he’s sent to the grave while equipped with a Gemini monster. Evocator Eveque(LV 4/1500/1000) just so happens to be one meaning through Knight’s effect he’s special summoned.

The best part is he comes to the field as though her were Gemini summoned meaning he has his effect. Evocator Everque’s effect allows me to special summon any Fire Warrior or Gemini monster from my grave, so welcome back Sublimation Knight(LV 3/1300/200).

Remember, when he’s normal or special summoned, I can equip him with 1 Fire Warrior or Gemini monster from my hand or deck. I’ll equip him with Evocator Chevalier from my deck.” A warrior in red and orange armor with a sword appeared kneeling behind Sublimation Knight.

“Just like before, a monster equipped through this effect grants Sublimation Knight(LV 3/1800/200 effect) five hundred ATK. With that, you’ve only made my field better.” Joey grinned. “Still think my opening turn was lucky?”

“I’m starting to think you’re unlucky because having more than one monster on the battle field allows me to activate the quick-play, Dino Aggression.” Rex declared. “This spell works only if my opponent has more monsters on the field after a Dinosaur monster just attacked.

If such a thing is true, the monster I just attacked with can launch a second attack this turn. Right now, I’m banking on your knight’s more powerful effect to be a once per turn. Grenosaurus, destroy that knight once more (Joey 2400/Rex 2000). So, was I right?”

“Yeah, you were.” Joey sighed. “Sublimation Knight’s effects can only be activated, each, once per turn.”

“That’s where my dino has another edge because Grenosaurus can activate his effect provided he has overlay units and merely meets the criteria.” Rex declared. “Since he does, I’m burning you for another one thousand life points.”

Grenosaurus(R 3/O 0/2000/1900)(Joey 1400/Rex 2000)

“I just lost nearly all my advantage.” Joey lamented.

“That’s what happens when you’re up against a regional finalist.” Rex retorted. “I can’t believe you thought you’d gotten anything over on me. I’ll end my turn.”

“Don’t listen to him Joey!” Tea yelled. “You still came out of this up a monster for barely any costs, and you made Rex drain a combo he could have used later!”

“It hardly matters.” Mai laughed. “Little Joey is way out of his depth so getting rid of a card or two now hardly matters.”

River Bed
“What a nimrod.” Tristan muttered frustrated before splashing some water on his face. “Big dumb jerk.”

“You okay Tristan?” Yugi asked.

“Yugs?” Tristan turned to see both him and Sunset there. “Sunset? What are you two doing here? You should be helping Joey.”

“Joey made it pretty clear he didn’t want our help on this one, and since you left, I figured I should to.” Yugi noticed Sunset wasn’t speaking up. “I guess Sunset decided the same.”

“Me being there is completely different from you two being there.” Tristan stood and approached them. “Without your coaching, he’ll get creamed.”

“Neither of us can help him.” Yugi responded. “Joey needs to do this alone, and we got to let him.”

“That doesn’t…” Tristan began.

“If we go back on our word and help him, Joey will be disqualified.” Yugi declared firmly. “Right now, the best thing we can do is believe in Joey, so he’ll believe in himself.”

“Yeah… well… maybe I don’t think he can win.” Tristan responded.

Upon hearing that, Sunset realized that she was blaming herself for no reason, but that didn’t mean she felt any better about the situation.

“Tristan, if there’s one thing I’ve learned from my time with all of you, it’s that receiving help and support doesn’t make anyone weaker than those who seem to need less of it.” Sunset stated attracting both her friend’s attention.

“The simple truth is that no matter how you perceive Tea, Yugi, Joey, yourself, or especially me, we’re all weaker apart than we are together. It’s through supporting each other that we are all stronger than we’d ever be alone.”

Tristan was wide eyed at that before he sighed and walked away from them. “I don’t know…”

Clearing
“Maybe, this was a mistake.” Joey was sweating as he drew and looked over his hand. “Maybe the only way I could help my sister was by relyin’ on my friends.” He shook his head. “No, that’s not true. I can’t start thinking that way. If I can’t rely on myself, how could I expect Serenity to.

There’s got to be a combo that can tear down Rex’s dino.” He spotted an equip spell. “That’s it!” He chose the spell from his hand. “I equip Evocator Eveque(LV 4/2500/1000 effect) with Axe of Despair boosting his attack by 1000. He’ll destroy Grenosaurus (Joey 1400/Rex 1500).”

“500 life points is nothing.” Rex commented.

“Hey, every life point counts.” Joey retorted. “Anyways, that ends my turn.”

“Compared to the sheer amount of life points I’ve taken from you; it might as well be a drop in comparison.” He drew before smirking. “Especially in the face of my supreme combo! First, I normal summon Ancient Lizard(LV 1/500/500).” A ferocious, feral lizard appeared.

Joey’s eyes went wide at that. “If he’s summoning that now, and didn’t summon Red-Eyes before, then that means he must have…”

“That’s right, Wheeler.” Rex declared. “I’ve had Red-Eyes waiting in the wings all this time, and I’m glad you didn’t force me to bring him out because it means I can bring out something far worse. Now, Ancient Lizard forces me to declare Dragon or Dinosaur.

Then, it becomes that type until my next Main Phase 1. I’ll declare Dinosaur and immediately activate its second effect. When I want to summon a Dark attributed Fusion, I can send this card on my field along with any monsters from my hand or field to the grave.

I’ll send Red-Eyes Black Dragon along with Ancient Lizard. The mythological goes back thousands of years to bring about a more ferocious beast. Fusion summon Red-Eyes Ancient Dragon(LV 8/2800/2400).” A wingless, dino looking Red-Eyes appeared.

“That’s not good.” Tea stated worriedly.

“About time he got serious about ending this.” Mai commented.

“Excluding Red-Eyes B. Dragon, this monster has an effect depending on if the second material used to fusion summon him was Dinosaur or Dragon. Since Ancient Lizard was a Dino at the time, this monster can banish any one spell/trap on your side of the field. Your axe is gone.”

Evocator Eveque(LV 4/1500/1000)

“Not my Axe of Despair!” Joey exclaimed. “Because he banished it, I can’t tribute Eveque to bring it back and spare my life points.”

“Now that your monster is even weaker than my own. Red-Eyes Ancient Dragon will destroy Eveque with Inferno Fire Fang!” Ancient Dragon’s teeth were lit with its fire as it rushed forward and chomped through Joey’s only monster (Joey 100/Red 1500).

“Just wait; it gets worse. By banishing Ancient Lizard from my graveyard, and one monster from my deck, I can retroactively alter what type of monster I declared earlier. I say it was Dragon. That changes my dragon’s effect to he can’t be destroyed by battle or card effect.”

“What!?” Joey stepped back sweating once more. “That means he not only got rid of my Axe and brought me to this point, but now I can’t even destroy his monster. What am I supposed to do?”

“Oh, poor Joey.” Tea stated worriedly.

“There’s only one monster in my deck that could have even destroyed that monster, but it hardly matters now that it can’t be destroyed.” Joey drew. “Wait, this is one of the cards Tristan gave me back on the boat. Lava Battleguard. Man, he always shows up somehow.”

He thought back to a rainy day at a warehouse where he found some thugs threatening a kid. He stepped in and Tristan ended up arriving just as the fight started. They fought together and managed to win. At the time, he merely dismissed his friend. Now…

“All this time, and it finally hits me.” Joey understood. “Tristan’s always been looking out for me. Not because he thinks I need help… It’s because he’s a true friend.”

“Yo, Joey!” Tristan’s voice rang out, and he turned to see that him, Sunset, and Yugi had returned. “We’re all here for ya buddy! Even if the chips are down, I know you can turn this all around!”

“You bet I can, pal.” Joey grinned confidently. “First, I need to set my hand up for success by activating Magical Mallet. This spell allows me to return itself and any cards I wish from my hand back to my deck. Then, I shuffle it and redraw the same number of cards I added back.”

Joey kept Lava Battleguard, but the rest had to go. “With the three cards in my hand, and Magical Mallet on the field, that’s four cards shuffled back in.” He shuffled. “Then, I draw!” He drew his four new cards before grinning.

“Alright, you’ve just lost Rex! First, I activate Feast of the Wild LV5. This spell allows me to special summon up to two Level 5 Warrior monsters from my hand or grave; however, their effects are negated, and they can’t attack.”

“Heh, what’s even the point then?” Rex asked. “Planning on Xyz summoning your own monster?”

“Nope, got none of those sitting in my extra deck, but they’ll still be plenty useful. Now, I special summon Lava Battleguard(LV 5/1550/1800) and Swamp Battleguard(LV 5/1800/1550).” A red, monstrous warrior appeared with a green, monstrous warrior.

“Alright, he’s got them both out.” Tristan stated knowing what was coming.

“This is a touching reunion, but you said it yourself that those monsters can’t attack or activate whatever effects they have.” Rex declared. “That means they’re worthless.”

“No card in my deck is worthless, and you especially can’t say that for these two.” Joey plucked his second to last card out of his hand. “Especially when the combo isn’t complete without this normal summon. Let’s get wild, Battleguard King(LV 8/3000/1100).”

A red, monstrous warrior twice the size of either prior Battleguard appeared wearing purple armor and wielding a massive sword.

“Big deal!” Rex yelled starting to feel uneasy. “Even with a stronger monster, my dragon can’t be destroyed!”

“That’s just perfect for my king because it means he can take full advantage of his effect.” Joey declared. “Once per turn, I can tribute any number of Warrior monsters I control to grant him 1 additional attack for every monster tributed. I’ll tribute my two other Battleguard.”

“It’s still not strong enough to win!” Rex tried.

“That’s where the final card in my hand comes into play completing the combo and proving that every life point counts.” Joey slapped it down. “I equip Battleguard King(LV 8/3300/1400 effect) with Legendary Sword granting him three hundred more ATK/DEF.”

“He tributed two warriors, so that’s three total attacks… five hundred damage times three equals… 1500 life points!” Rex exclaimed in shock after he did the math.

“That’s impossible.” Mai was in shock. “That punk got in merely because Sunset won his place for him. H-He can’t have a combo like that!”

“Let’s end this Battleguard King!” Joey declared. “Go, Triple Wild Devastation!”

Battleguard King roared before rushing forward and slamming his weapon into Red-Eyes Ancient Dragon. While the monster held up to the onslaught of attacks, Rex’s life points fell with each strike (Joey 100/Rex 1500-1000-500-0).

Rex was in shock and suddenly hoped Joey forgot all about the ante he made. “So… I guess you want my star chips, right?”

Joey let out a sigh of relief before realizing what Rex just said. “Wait a second.” He pointed at him. “Not only do I get your two star chips, but you owe me your Red-Eyes B. Dragon, Ancient Lizard, and Red-Eyes Ancient Dragon. I won those all fair and square.”

Rex cried at that while Joey’s friends celebrated.

“He did it all himself to.” Yugi declared.

“What an amazing turn to win it on.” Sunset added.

“I did it guys!” Joey had lowered from the platform and was now running to his friends who were running to meet him. “I did it!”

“Hey, you’re the man Joey!” Upon meeting up, Tristan slugged Joey. “The man who I’m now even with for what you did before.”

“Gah!” Joey lept to his feet. “Don’t you know two wrongs don’t make a right, jerk!?”

“Should I make it three then?” Tristan asked.

“Bring it on.” Joey invited.

They started roughhousing.

“Come on guys, there’s no need to fight over this.” Yugi tried.

“I don’t know Yugi.” Sunset stated. “This doesn’t look like what happened before.”

“Yeah, this seems more like their way of showing they care.” Tea added.

"Oh, okay.” Yugi chuckled. “I just hope they don’t care about me that much.”

Author's Note:

Once again, unless they are named Joey Wheeler, cheating, or have mystical powers, I'm flipping coins and rolling dice any time chance cards come into the picture. As for Duke having Barrel Dragon, Bandit Keith has such a wide pool of Machine cards.

He can sacrifice what was his ace was and have a new one when he shows up. If you're confused about Buster Blader seeming weaker, Buster Dragon only converts monsters Duke controls into Dragons. Weather this includes his grave is irrelevant.

This is how I decided to read the card. Considering other cards Thunder has do specifically mention the grave when making monsters into Dragons, I thought this was a fair interpretation. In addition, any 'dragon' Duke used are originally Machines.

They're in the same category as Cyber Dragons or Thunder Dragons in that they are a different type of monster simply given the name dragon. This means cards like Buster Dragon would be needed. Now, let's move onto the Joey duel.

Considering the Red-Eyes archetype has a few Gemini monsters, giving such cards to Joey made sense. Especially with the combo he could pull off with Sublimation Knight which is a real card by the way. Speaking of combos, let's talk about the big combo in the end.

When I write out duels, there are times where I have to go back and make sure they end the way I want them to. This duel, as it flowed, just naturally ended this way with the only alteration being spell check. Figured that was a good sign. Anyways, onto two OC cards.

Orgoth the Dimensional Lord/Earth/Rank 7/Warrior/Xyz/ATK 2800/DEF 2500
2 Level 7 monsters
You can detach 1 material from this card: It gains 500 ATK until the end of this turn, and if it does, 1 monster your opponent controls loses 1000 ATK until the end of this turn. If this card is Xyz Summoned by using an Xyz Monster as a Material: You can double the numerical values of the previous effect by banishing a monster with a die rolling effect from your deck, field, hand, or graveyard.

Red-Eyes Ancient Dragon/Dark/Level 8/Dinosaur/Fusion/ATK 2800/DEF 2400
Red-Eyes B. Dragon + 1 “Dark-Attribute” monster
Apply the appropriate effect depending on what type of monster was used as Fusion Material that was not "Red-Eyes B. Dragon.”
● Dinosaur: Banish 1 spell/trap your opponent controls.
● Dragon (Quick Effect): This card cannot be destroyed by battle or card effect until your next Stand-By Phase.
You can only use each effect once per turn.

Note: Considering Reload is a card that exist, Magical Mallet is using its anime effect here.

PreviousChapters Next