• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,146 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,146

PreviousChapters Next
Duel Monster Quest: Part II

Virtual Pod Room
“Ready or not, here we come!”

It was fortunate Joey, Tristan, and Tea managed to notice security enter when they did. Those men knew exactly where they were, but before they started trying to get in, like they were doing now, Tea had locked the door. Tristan and Joey then began moving stuff in front of it.

“You’re not getting in here!” Tristan yelled.

“Yeah, buzz off!” Joey added.

All three of them were now also using their bodies to brace the junk. No matter what, the three of them were determined to keep security from getting in. Failing that, they sure as heck weren’t about to allow the pods to be unplugged.

Desert City
Sunset, Mokuba, and some third duelist were all in the audience as Yugi faced off against the coliseum’s champion in hopes of winning the Niwatori card.

“Let’s see how prepared you are for this first card.” The female drew. “I summon Raidraptor – Vanishing Lanius(ATK 1300).”

A green armored, purple Lanius appeared.

“Wait a second…The color of the attire, the voice, a winged beast monster, and using the word preparation.” Yugi stared at his opponent. “Take any one of those aspects alone, and it wouldn’t mean anything. Altogether, this could potentially mean one thing.”

“I am a fan of thinking through one’s move, but I don’t…” The female began.

“Penumbra, is that you?” Yugi asked as he removed his mask.

Penumbra stepped back with a surprised expression. “Yugi!?”

“What’s going on?” Mokuba asked confused.

“I think we might have just found ourselves an ally.” Sunset voiced.

She lept over the side alongside Mokuba while also noticing that another duelist did the same. All three of them were running towards the two duelists in the arena.

“Penumbra, what’s going on?” The guy asked genuinely confused. “Why is the winner of Duelist Kingdom here? We weren’t informed he’d also be beta testing the game.”

“That is a good point, Nostalgia.” Penumbra nodded. “Those guys in the suits didn’t mention anything about this.”

“Taking that into account, you two might just be in some serious danger.” Sunset voiced drawing their attention.

“Yeah, those guys you mentioned have my brother.” Mokuba added.

“You’re brother?” Nostalgia looked at him. “You’re Mokuba Kaiba, so that means those guys trapped Seto Kaiba in here!?”

“That’s right.” Yugi nodded. “As far as we can gather, he’s in a temple across the desert, so we need the Niwatori card to get to him.”

“That’s why you entered this match.” Penumbra reasoned.

“Get back to the fight!”

What are you doing!?”

It was at this point that the group realized the crowd wasn’t enthused by the lack of action.

“Some people clearly aren’t happy.” Mokuba stated.

“If all you guys entered this battle for was a way through the desert, I can provide an alternative with my deck.” Nostalgia voiced. “Since something is at stake here, I’ll just accompany you to the end.”

“I’m in as well.” Penumbra voiced.

“That’s great, but I’m fairly certain these guys aren’t simply going to let us walk away.” At this point, Sunset started running. “That is why I say we run for the desert!”

“Gah, don’t let them go!” The owner exclaimed.

The now five-person group booked it out of the coliseum with angry patrons hot on their heels.

“I don’t think we’ll get far with them on our heels like this.” Mokuba stopped and drew a card. “That’s why I’ll do crowd control with Fiendish Chains!”

Multiple chains shot out ensnaring and weaving through the patrons closest to reaching them before they in turn connected to buildings on opposite ends of the street. This not only held down a small number of patrons, but it also served to craft a makeshift wall blocking the rest.

“By the time they make their way around, we should be within the desert.” Mokuba declared.

Desert
“Alright, we’re here.” Sunset voiced before looking at Nostalgia. “Now, what do you have that can get us across?”

“What I have are three cards that become one.” Nostalgia drew three cards form his deck and held them up. "I banish A-Assault Core, B-Buster Drake, and C-Crush Wyvern to perform a fusion that requires no spell.

I call upon a union machine that can absolutely obliterate all who oppose it. Fusion summon ABC-Dragon Buster(ATK 3000).” A large machine monster with a yellow base as well as green and blue dragon heads appeared.

“Whoa, that’s one heck of a monster!” Mokuba marveled.

“Are you sure it’s okay using up so many cards?” Yugi asked.

“Provided this monster isn’t destroyed, he has his way of getting me back the materials used to summon him.” Nostalgia assured. “For now, everyone get comfy because I know this guy will get us through the desert no problem.”

With that said, everyone clambered aboard the fusion which then set off. The former trio learned a bit more of how their newest additions to the rescue party got into the game.

“Basically, you two entered a contest which would grant you money to build new decks that you were intended to use within this game?” Sunset questioned.

“That’s about the size of it.” Nostalgia informed. “I’ve always had a fascination with machinery, so the A-to-Z archetype was just begging to be picked up.”

“Winged Beast are my forte, and I’ve noticed how the Raidraptors can require preparation as well as strategy.” Penumbra voiced. “It seemed like a perfect archetype for me.”

“What exactly was the Big 5’s goal in bringing them here?” Yugi questioned.

“It was likely to test the game and ensure it’d be ready for my brother.” Mokuba reasoned. “It’s likely they couldn’t plan for all of us, nor that we’d end up recruiting the people they sent in prior.”

“That’s not good!” Nostalgia suddenly yelled.

A geyser of sand erupted just ahead of them bring ABC-Dragon Buster to a stop.

“It’s another obstacle.” Yugi declared.

“What is it?” Nostalgia asked.

“It’s a Sandstone(ATK 1300).” Penumbra informed. “With all of us on this monster, attacking with it wouldn’t be wise.”

“I got it.” Sunset drew. “Destroy this obstacle Elemental Hero Liquid Soldier(ATK 1400).”

A hero in black tights with light blue armor appeared before kneeling and aiming a hand at the opposing sand monster. He fired off a pressurized burst of water that destroyed the Sandstone. With its destruction went the sandstorm.

“Hey, is that the temple where Kaiba is?” Nostalgia asked pointing it out.

Just off in the distance, there was an ancient temple.

“It must be what we’re looking for.” Yugi responded.

“Is that really where they’re keeping him?” Penumbra asked.

“It’s currently our only lead.” Sunset replied.

“Good enough for me.” Nostalgia patted his monster. “Full steam ahead!”

Ancient Temple
Upon arriving at the temple, everyone could see it was rather large. That said, they didn’t get too long to look at it because Mokuba almost immediately dismounted and started running into the temple.

“Mokuba!” Sunset yelled after him. “Wait for us!”

Mokuba pressed on. “I’m coming Seto!”

“I suggest we follow him; otherwise, we might end up losing him.” Penumbra voiced.

Everyone else dismounted ABC-Dragon Buster with Nostalgia looking back at him. “I utilize one of ABC-Dragon Buster’s effects. By tributing him, I can return the three materials from the banished zone back to my hand.”

“Whoa, that’s some ability.” Yugi noted.

“Thanks.” Nostalgia smiled. “Normally, I’d special summon them to the field, but some abilities work differently in this game than they would out there.”

“Are you sure using that monster now was the wisest move?” Sunset asked. “Even with potential spells and traps to bring him back, those are cards you wouldn’t have had to use otherwise.”

“It should be fine.” Nostalgia shrugged. “Besides, ABC-Dragon Buster isn’t the only primo monster in my fusion deck. Plus, using a spell or trap to bring him back seems like a fairly good use. I mean if it’s not, then what card on my person would be?”

Sunset had to admit that those were good points, and she was perhaps a little more hesitant since getting her own fusions back out of the grave tended to be harder than most other fusion decks. That didn’t mean there weren’t ways to achieve it, but it was still something she’d noted.

Anyways, the rest of the group caught up with Mokuba and managed to calm him down before proceeding together through what turned out to a rather crude temple. They were currently walking through a cave that had no work done to make it even resemble what a temple should.

“Either this place is extremely old, or the people that once resided here didn’t have time to finish this place before their untimely demise.” Nostalgia noted.

“Let’s hope it’s the former rather than potentially having to deal with the latter.” Penumbra voiced. “Despite our potential to overcome any obstacle, I’d still rather not meet a monster capable of wiping a whole civilization.”

“No matter what the situation is, let’s try to stick together.” Yugi voiced.

Mokuba nodded. “Right.”

They then came up to some wooden doors which Sunset began pushing open. “I got it.” It opened into a massive labyrinth. “This kind of reminds me of that field Joey and Mektaveus dueled the Paradox Brothers on.”

Suddenly, the door closed behind them prompting Penumbra to try opening it. “I think we’re effectively cut off from going back.”

“That’s fine.” Yugi nodded. “This is a game, and typically you don’t reach the end by backtracking. Though there are games like that, I don’t think Seto would make his first virtual game that complicated.”

“Then it means our only way forward is through the maze.” Sunset declared.

Suddenly, they heard a female scream is distress.

“Someone’s in trouble!” Nostalgia exclaimed before rushing into the maze.

“He did this exact same thing when we got into the game.” Penumbra sighed with a shrug. “Ultimately, it did lead to us ending up in that city, so I guess it worked out. Still, rushing in without at least a basic plan is just foolish.”

Suddenly, a Labyrinth Tank(ATK 2400) came borrowing trough a nearby wall.

“Considering how fast that is coming, we got to do the same!” Sunset started running. “Run!”

The rest followed her along with the tank coming up behind them.

“It’s gaining on us!” Mokuba yelled.

Just ahead, Nostalgia was listening at a fork in the path attempting to pick the right way towards whoever needed help.

“Nostalgia, we got to move!” Penumbra yelled.

Nostalgia turned around only to go wide eyed and start booking it down the left with everyone else now following him. Unfortunately, their way forward was blocked by a second Labyrinth Tank(ATK 2400). The first brought up the rear trapping them there.

“We’re boxed in!” Mokuba yelled.

“Before we go trying to bust out some monsters, does anyone have a plan?” Nostalgia asked.

They were gearing up to blast them all, and considering their ATK value, that would be game over without any monsters to at minimum protect them.

Fortunately, Yugi drew a card. “I got my Magical Hats!”

This produced a hat over the top of the group before the tanks blasted it. Fortunately, Magical Hats conjured four total hats and slyly moved the group underneath one of them.

“Nice trick Yugi.” Sunset complimented.

The group moved forward before the hats vanished; however, they could hear the tanks moving.

“For as great as it was, I don’t think the tanks are convinced we were done in.” Penumbra noted.

“Which way do we go?” Mokuba asked.

Suddenly, a fairy flew to the group.

“Hey, we saw one of these before.” Yugi smiled. “One of them led us to that city, so she must be here now to help us through the labyrinth.”

The fairy nodded and motioned for them to follow.

“Alright, let’s do it.” Sunset voiced.

They ran after the fairy who led them to a female version of Mokuba dressed as a prince. “Earu, you’re back!”

“You know, if this weren’t Seto’s game, I’d be more off put at the fact that he made a female Mokuba.” Sunset noted.

“Hey, we heard someone scream.” Mokuba stepped forward. “Are you alright?”

“I lost Earu, my guide.” Female Mokuba responded.

“Since we’re all here, is there anyway you could lead us out?” Yugi questioned.

“I am just as lost as any of you; however, Earu can guide us out.” Female Mokuba responded.

So, the whole group followed the fairy to the other end of the maze and right into the waiting form of Gate Guardian.

“The Big 5 must have put Gate Guardian in the game to stop us.” Yugi voiced.

“It’s a poor attempt since I got plenty that can take it down.” Penumbra stepped forward drawing threw cards from her deck. “I overlay three copies of Raidraptor Vanishing Lanius. Obscured falcon, raise your claws sharpened by adversity. Spread your wings of rebellion. Bear witness to the ascent of Raidraptor – Rise Falcon(O 3/ATK 100).”

“That monster better have one heck of an effect; otherwise, he won’t stand a chance against Gate Gurdian.” Mokuba commented.

“This monster is one of my best when it comes to dealing with solely special summoned monsters.” Penumbra explained. “Gate Guardian as a monster can only ever be special summoned making my monster its perfect counter.

I can now detach one overlay unit from Raidraptor – Rise Falcon(O 2/ATK 3850) and allow him to gain attack equal to every special summoned monster.” Rise Falcon was cloaked in a fiery avatar as his attack soared. “Decimate Gate Guardian with Brave Claw Revolution!”

Rise Falcon flew at Gate Guardian tearing into it with his claws until the monster was destroyed.

“That was amazing.” Female Mokuba stated.

“Unfortunately, extra deck methods doesn’t come without their cost.” Penumbra retrieved her Rise Falcon resulting in its remaining overlay units heading to the grave. “Everyone of them, unless you got an ability for it, results in the materials always ending up in the grave.”

“Still, it was a worthy cost in this case.” Sunset voiced.

“I think you are all so brave just like the heroes of legend.” Female Mokuba declared.

“Heroes of legend?” Yugi questioned.

“Oh, milady!”

Suddenly, there were voices and torches quickly coming down the cave towards them.

“Princess Adena!”

“Everyone, you came!” Adena declared happily.

All her soldiers and nursemaid had arrived.

“My lady, we’ve been worried sick about you. Oh, I see you’ve made new friends.”

“They’ve saved me.” Adena informed. “They’re the bravest warriors I’ve ever seen.” She turned to the group. “As thanks, I’d like to invite them as my guests to the palace.”

???
Seto finally awoke to find he was shackled up against a cross. “Where am I?”

A monster was coming up from a portal. “You’re with me, Seto Kaiba.”

“Witty Phantom?” Seto declared. “You took me prisoner in my own game?”

“Yes.” Phantom responded.

“Then, release me.” Kaiba ordered.

“This is no longer your world to command.” Phantom informed. “Your game has been reprogramed. You’re unfortunately late to the party.”

“Gee, I never liked parties.” Seto snarked.

“But you’re the guest of honor.” Phantom returned. “At least, you will be soon for you will have the privilege to be our offering to the mythic dragon.” He bowed. “Until then, your misery will be in my capable hands.”

“That’s enough.” Seto declared. “Override protocol. End this simulation.”

Phantom tsked at him. “I told you things had changed, so obviously your code has been rewritten. All your silly precautions are a thing of the past.” He tipped his hat. “Now, excuse me as there is much to prepare for the other offering’s arrival.”

“Another offering?” Seto asked.

“I know how you love the spotlight, but you’ll simply have to share.” Witty Phantom responded before vanishing.

Palace
The group were escorted into carriages which took them through a scenic road and a rather impressive city. When they came to stop, they were before a rather large palace with guards on either side of a red carpet that stood at attention as they walked in with the princess.

They were brought to the dining room and presented with a feast of which Nostalgia dug in with a fever not to dissimilar from Joey, Tristan, or Mektaveus. The others were content to eat normally and leave him to it.

“Princess Adena, do you have any news of my brother?” Mokuba asked.

“Well, I didn’t want to say anything prior, but people often disappear when it is time for the offerings.” Adena informed.

“Offerings?” Yugi questioned.

“Every year, around this time, offerings are collected from this and another kingdom all in the service of awakening a mythic dragon.” Adena informed. “The other kingdom has already put up their offering. A stranger from a distant land.”

“That must be Seto!” Mokuba exclaimed. “Please, tell me where he is.”

“He’s in a dark castle which floats in the sky.” Adena informed.

“It must be the Castle of Dark Illusions.” Yugi noted.

“That painting there tells the tale.” Adena informed. “We have passed down the legend for generations.” The painting depicted the silhouette of a figure with a deck holder on their arm. “A hero escaped that castle atop of mighty, flying monster. Flight is the only way to reach it.”

“We have all kinds of flying monsters between us.” Yugi noted. “We could easily fly up there.”

“Are you offering to do just that?” Adena asked shocked.

Everyone looked at one another and nodded in the affirmative.

“That stranger this other kingdom offered is the brother of the youngest among our group, so we don’t have much of a choice.” Sunset voiced.

“Then, you must all be the ones from the prophecy.” Adena declared hopefully. “It predicted that heroes would arrive to save Sin Lau from distant mountains. They will unite and among them are people capable of defeating the dragon to stop the offerings.”

“Are you saying that’s us?” Yugi asked.

“We’re the heroes from that prophecy?” Penumbra asked.

“I truly believe as such.” Adena nodded. “Upon your shoulders rest my kingdom.”

“Awesome.” Nostalgia smiled as he stood up. “I’ve always wanted to be a hero.”

“To properly prepare you, any of you who wish it may be adorned in the garbs of our greatest heroes.” Adena declared.

Penumbra and Nostalgia were fine with their present garbs, so only the remaining three decided on a change in attire. Yugi wore regal blue armor with gold trim while Sunset found a set of red armor with yellow trim.

“This isn’t half bad.” Sunset commented.

In fact, it gave her a strange sensation of familiarity making her wonder if she’d once worn something like it in her past life Shadi made her aware of.

“I think I get what you mean.” Yugi responded.

Penumbra and Nostalgia joined them.

“You both look great.” The union user gave a thumbs up with a smile. “Once Mokuba joins us, we’ll be a real party by looks.”

“You two do realize Kaiba Corp. Executives reprogrammed this game, right?” Yugi had a seat on a nearby box. “If you continue to stick with us, you could be in serious danger.”

“I realized the risk the moment I initially decided to leave with your group back at the coliseum.” Penumbra voiced. “Didn’t stop me from coming with then, and it’s not about to stop me now.”

“I couldn’t very well sit on my butt and let some jerks get they’re way.” Nostalgia declared. “I’m here until the end.”

“I think that makes you two alright in our books.” Sunset commented.

Suddenly, lighting struck as dark clouds rolled in.

“That can’t be good.” Penumbra noted.

The entire group moved on out to the castle walls with Mokuba, the princess, her nursemaid, and various soldiers joining them.

“Princess, it is dangerous for you out here.”

“Look, it’s the castle floating in the sky.” Yugi pointed out.

“Looks like they’ve come for their offering.” Penumbra noted.

“They’re serious about getting it what with that army of approaching monsters.” Sunset added.

“In coming Armed Ninja(ATK 300).” Nostalgia pointed out.

“I got him.” Sunset drew from her deck. “I activate Storming Mirror Force. While this would normally return an attacking monster to the hand, here it sends you back to where you came from.”

With that, the ninja vanished leaving them with a literal army a knocking.

“With him gone, I can rid the skies of all these monsters.” Yugi drew. “I activate Dark Hole wiping the sky clean!”

Right in the center of the horde of flying monsters, a huge black hole opened sucking them all in. When the move finally faded, there was not a monster left to oppose them.

“You all just keep impressing me.” Adena smiled gratefully. “Thank you for warding off those monsters.”

“It’s a temporary solution at this point, so I suggest we tackle this at the source before they can send reinforcements.” Penumbra declared. “If we get to better ground, I can summon a Raidraptor more than fit to carry us all.”

“Those ancient ruins down there seem like a lot of space.” Yugi voiced.

Ruins
Adena and her nursemaid stood back while the group stepped forward.

Penumbra drew two monsters. “I activate the effect of Raidraptor – Mimicry Lanius(LV 5 effect) boosting itself and the second Raidraptor – Mimicry Lanius(LV 5 effects) levels by one. Now, I construct the overlay network with my two level 5 monsters. Xyz summon Raidraptor – Stranger Falcon(O 2/ATK 2000).” A falcon with yellow armor appeared.

“Please tell me there’s more since I don’t think that is big enough to hold us.” Mokuba commented.

“Just watch.” Penumbra drew again. “I activate Rank-Up-Magic Skip Force allowing me to target any one Raidraptor Xyz monster I control and use it to Xyz summon a monster two ranks higher. I rebuild the overlay network with Stranger Falcon.

Now, I call upon a mighty predator with the potential to wipe boards of their monsters. Descend, Raidraptor – Arsenal Falcon(O 3/ATK 2500).” A huge Raidraptor that could effortlessly fit all of them, and then some, appeared.

“Does this suit our needs?” Penumbra asked.

Mokuba nodded. “Yeah, I’d say so.”

Virtual Pod Room
Tristan, Tea, and Joey continued attempting to hold back the men, but it was proving more difficult with each passing moment. These guys were absolutely determined to break into the room to the point they were constantly throwing their bodies against the door.

“We’re in big trouble here.” Tristan groaned.

“Gee, you think.” Joey snarked.

“We got to hang on.” Tea declared before looking back at the pods. “Please guys, come back soon.”

Author's Note:

I want to start this explanation by noting a small problem I noticed in the actual episode. When Armed Ninja shows up, Mai makes it seem like she's going to attack him only to then summon Dark Witch and have her attack the horde.

The thing is, Armed Ninja only stopped Yugi from using Dark Hole and didn't prevent Mai from using her card. At that moment, everyone was surprised when Dark Hole was destroyed even though they clearly noted Armed Ninja was there.

At the very least, I can give Mai credit for summoning a monster, and I can excuse Mokuba for not doing anything because he wanted to be taken in place of the princess. What I don't get is why didn't Joey do anything?

Of course, it is possible Armed Ninja could have stopped that, but nothing was then stopping Yugi, Joey, and Mai from summoning or activating something after he acted. If all three did something, I think Armed Ninja would have been hard pressed stopping them all.

Bottom line, I say forget that and have the group succeed. I'm all for failure on quests, but it has to make some semblance of sense. Anyways, with that out of the way, let's talk about the rest of this chapter. I think if you have them, there's other cards for the desert section.

Now, Considering Joey isn't here, no one has Time Wizard, so I took the liberty of tweaking the legend. I'd like to question how anyone without a Time Wizard would get past this point? Would you just be stuck? Would it become a grind session to buy the card?

I mean, isn't a floating castle in the sky enough? Why does such a thing even need a spell stopping duel monsters especially when you have an army of your own? Even if the spell were in effect, wouldn't a different effect that negates spells be get you past it?

I now realize I had a lot more problems with this particular episode than I thought. Despite that, I do like this mini arc. Still, I think it could have done with a bit more revision. Even though Mokuba did make it happen this time, less kidnapped Mokuba to.

PreviousChapters Next