• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,148 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,148

PreviousChapters Next
Water & Wings

Duelist Kingdom:Forest
The gang were walking through the forest with Joey marveling at his recently acquired star chip. “Look at that.” He chuckled. “Three whole star chips. It’s so awesome that I can’t believe it even happened. Am I cool or what?”

“Is there a time limit on how long he gets to go on about that?” Tea asked exasperated.

“Cut him a little slack Tea.” Tristan smiled. “The guy’s had some tough breaks since getting on that boat.”

“No kidding.” Sunset agreed. “I think we can let him go on a bit longer.”

Suddenly, Joey’s stomach growled. “Uh, all that excitement from earlier has me hungry now.” He looked to the others. “Did any of ya remember to bring some food?”

“Sorry Joey.” The others voiced together.

“Uh.” Joey sighed. “What were we thinking by coming here without food? How are we going to get through the competition without anything to eat?”

“That’s a good question Joey.” Yugi voiced.

“Look, there’s bound to be things around here we can eat, so why don’t we split into groups?” Sunset suggested. “We can spend an hour or two seeing what we can find before meeting up back here.”

“We don’t have much a choice.” Yugi stated. “Tea, you and Tristan can come with me. We’ll look around back the way we came from. Joey, you stay with Sunset and see what you can find down the path.”

“In that case, I actually smell something mighty good.” Joey declared before running off. “Come on Sunset!”

“Joey!” Sunset ran after him. “The point of groups is that we’re supposed to stick together!”

“I feel a little bad for her.” Tea commented. “Joey must be hallucinating.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure.” Tristan responded as the three of them started walking back. “Jeoy’s always had a nose for food.”

“Isn’t that the truth.” Yugi remarked.

Cliff
Joey and Sunset ended up at a cliff, above the ocean, where some fish were cooking over a fire.

“Ah man, I just love BBQ fish.” Joey declared before standing. “I bet they taste…”

Before he could run off, Sunset stood and held out an arm in front of him. “Joey, no matter how hungry we are, we can’t steal someone else’s fish.”

“Come on, Sunset.” Joey complained. “We can eat the fish now and take whatever comes…”

“It seems my lure has worked just like before bringing in a most bountiful catch.” A voice rang out drawing the pair’s attention.

They both saw a tan man with long, spikey black hair. He currently wore a pair of shorts with no shirt, had on a pair of goggles, wielded a fishing spear, and was wet from swimming in the ocean. He also had a dueling glove with four star chips indicating he was a competitor.

“Wait a minute, you’re Mako Tsunami.” Sunset recognized him, and it made her interest in dueling him go beyond the fact that they were both competitors. “You’re the top ranked water duelist.”

“Oh, he’s that freaky fish guy.” Joey stated.

“I am not a freaky fish guy!” Mako exclaimed angrily. “I am Mako Tsunami, duelist extra ordinaire of the seven seas!” He pointed his spear at Sunset. “Given you have six star chips, I issue a challenge to you. I pray that number of chips means you are more worthy a challenge than the last.”

“We’ll just have to see, but I accept your challenge regardless.” Sunset declared determined. “How does two star chips sound as a wager.”

Before Mako could speak, Joey jumped in. “If sunset wins, you have to give us five cooked fish!”

“Very well, but for a prize such as that…” Mako began as a duel arena rose out of the ocean. “…We shall duel here above the majestic sea!”

Mako took the red side while Sunset took the blue side, and both removed two star chips which they set on their console.

“I can only hope those star chips of hers were earned rather than lucked into.” Mako thought.

“Let’s Duel!”

(Sunset 2000/Mako 2000)

“Sink that soggy sucker, Sunset!” Joey cheered.

“Let’s see how you handle my denizens of the deep.” Mako drew. “First, I will discard Warrior of Atlantis which allows me to add 1 A Legendary Ocean field spell from my deck to my hand. I’ll immediately activate it.” The field became an ocean.

“From here on out, all Water monsters on the field will have 200 more ATK/DEF than they normally would. Additionally, the levels of all water monsters in our hands or on the field will be one less.

Finally, this card always counts as the field spell Umi. I feel that last bit will be quite important shortly. For now, I will summon Electric Jellyfish(LV 3/1600/1900 effect) in attack mode and end my turn.” A jellyfish with electricity surrounding it appeared.

“Even though the people I’ve faced prior must be skilled to be here, Mako is the first duelist I’ve faced with any sort of fame to their name. If I want to win, I’ll need to play at my best.” Sunset drew. “I’ll start by activating Polymerization.”

“So, you’re a fusion user.” Mako grinned. “Unfortunately for you, my Jellyfish effortlessly prevents such a thing. So long as Umi is on the field, once per turn, he can negate any one effect you try to activate.” Polymerization sparked before being destroyed.

“That’s not good.” Sunset stated.

“Eh, you don’t have Umi on the field, so you shouldn’t be able to trigger that!” Joey yelled.

“You clearly weren’t paying attention.” Mako declared. “As I’ve said, A Legendary Ocean counts itself as Umi meaning my monster was free to activate his ability. Speaking of said ability, because it went off, Electric Jellyfish(LV 3/2200/1900 effect) gains 600 ATK/DEF.”

“That was a well thought out play; however, you’re Jellyfish can’t stop me from fusing.” Sunset declared. “Polymerization is my favorite way to achieve my fusion monsters, but I have more cards just like it. One such card is my field spell, Fusion Gate.”

A green grid among a purple, swirling backdrop appeared on Sunset’s side of the field meeting Mako’s field in the middle. “With this, during our main phases, we can Fusion summon 1 monster by banishing the materials mentioned on it from our hands or field.

I’ll use that effect right now to banish my water attribute King of Swamp and Elemental Hero Woodsman to Fusion summon the ice hero, Elemental Hero Absolute Zero(LV 7/2700/2200 effect).” A hero decked out in ice white armor appeared.

“Whoa, way to go Sunset!” Joey cheered.

“I must admit, the fact that you could pull something like that off does set you apart from my last opponent.” Mako stated with a sweat drop.

“Just wait because I didn’t summon Absolute Zero simply to take advantage of your field.” Sunset declared. “He also gains 500 hundred ATK for every other water monster on the field. Elemental Hero Absolute Zero(LV 7/3200/2200 effect).

“He’ll use his power to destroy your jellyfish with Instant Freezing!” Frozen shards shot out of Absolute Zero and into Mako’s monster destroying it (Sunset 2000/Mako 800) Elemental Hero Absolute Zero(LV 7/2700/2200 effect).”

“Gah, even though you managed such a move, I will not waver in this battle.” Mako declared. “I will simply give pause before the power you poses as even the mightiest fisherman does before the great ocean.”

“Huh, what are you talking about?” Sunset asked genuinely curious.

“My father was a great fisherman, but…” Mako put his hand and head down. “…one day… the sea… took him. I loved going out on the boat with my father. Just the two of us and the big, beautiful ocean. I never suspected it would turn on us.

A storm suddenly rolled in turning the sea into a maelstrom. My father tied me down because I was scared and neglected his own safety in the process. I survived while the sea claimed him from me.” He looked at his opponent. “Do you understand, Sunset!?

I must take my dad’s place and battle the sea myself! Someday, I’ll become Japan’s greatest fisherman! One who can survive the roughest of seas! That’s why I am here! I want a boat! Let’s battle, Sunset!”

“I think I understand…” Sunset looked at her opponent. “While his dream is to one day buy that boat, Mako loves this game, and he’s using it to build himself up to one day tackle the sea again.” She nodded. “I’ll duel with everything I have, Mako!”

That made Mako smile while Joey was tearing up a bit. “Mako’s dueling to prepare himself for the day he’ll live up to his father.” He wiped his eyes. “Yeah, give him everything you got Sunset!”

“To end out my turn, I’ll set one card.” Sunset declared. “It’s your move.”

“Here I go!” Mako drew. “Hm, I’ll activate Graceful Charity which allows me to draw three cards at the cost of then pitching two from my hand. Now, I’ll activate Sea Lord’s Amulet. This card will remain on the field until your 3rd End Phase.

In the meantime, it will protect all Water monsters I control from destruction through card effects.” Sunset grimaced at that. “I then summon Brinegir(LV 6/1200/2800 effect).” A water serpent appeared.

“Since you just summoned another water monster, my Elemental Hero Absolute Zero(LV 7/3200/2200 effect) regains his 500 ATK.” Sunset declared.

“That is fine because Brinegir’s has his own effect that activates upon being summoned.” Mako declared. “This mighty beast of the sea draws on the ATK of one water monster from my grave. With Graceful Charity, I sent Dream Shark(ATK: 2100) to the grave.”

Brinegir(LV 6/3300/2800 effect). “100 life points of damage wouldn’t be my best, so I’ll grant my mighty beast of the sea Aqua Jet giving him a permanent 1000 ATK increase.” Brinegir(LV 6/4300/2800 effect). “Now, destroy Absolute Zero with Great Deluge!”

“Due to Sea Amulet, I can’t use my face down nor Absolute Zero’s effect.” Sunset thought.

Brinegir fired water from its mouth into Absolute Zero destroying him (Sunset 900/Mako 800).

“With that, I shall end my turn.” Mako declared.

Brinegir(LV 6/2200/2800 effect)

“Man, Mako just came back with one heck of a play.” Joey muttered.

Sunset drew her next card before smiling. “Hm, looks like activating Sea Lord’s Amulet will be your undoing Mako.”

“What do you mean!?” Mako exclaimed.

“Well, Absolute Zero had one last effect that is used upon his destruction, but I was intending to save that which is where my face down would have come into play.” Sunset explained. “Due to Sea Lord’s Amulet, both options were taken off the table. That turned out to be for the best since it means my face down is still on the field.

My next fusion’s effect only works when such a condition is met. I activate Fusion Gate to combine Elemental Heroes Bubbleman and Gusting Avian, who always acts as Avian. Fusion summon Elemental Hero Mariner(LV 4/1600/1200 effect ).”

A light blue skinned hero with anchors wrapped around his arms was depicted on the card.

“That fusion is weaker than my Bringir!” Mako exclaimed. “What effect could possibly make up for that!?”

“Provided I have at least 1 card face down in my spell/trap zones, Mainer can attack my opponent directly.” Sunset pointed at him. “In other words… Mainer, wipe out his life points with a direct attack (Sunset 900/Mako 0).”

“Gah!” Mako exclaimed. “NOOOO!”

“Way to go Sunset!” Joey cheered.

“Your fusions have some powerful effects, Sunset.” Mako sighed before chuckling. “What a grand duel. I salute you, my friend.”

“I wouldn’t undersell the power of your own cards Mako.” Sunset smiled. “They certainly gave me trouble.”

Later…
As promised, Mako cooked up five fresh fish and handed them over along with the two star chips he wagered. “I am down to two star chips once more, but that means I’m still in this.”

“I think you’ll do just fine.” Sunset stated.

“You’d win that wager.” Mako responded.

They clasped hands in a comradery manner.

“You know, that Mako isn’t such a bad guy.” Joey smiled. “I hope he does end up achieving his dream someday.”

Mako’s stomach growled making him chuckle. “Well my friend, dueling you has sure worked up an appetite.” He ran to the cliff. “Time for Mako to fish again!” He jumped into the water. “Farewell!”

Sunset turned form the cliff. “Let’s head back.” She started walking. “Remember Joey, if you eat your fish now, you’re not getting one later.”

“I’ll take it!” Joey declared happily before proceeding to gobble down one of the fish.

Forest
Yugi, Tea, and Tristan trudged back the way they came; however, there didn’t seem to be any food around. Tristan was constantly looking at his ‘Great Outdoor Survival Guide’ and comparing it to anything around them; however, there was nothing to eat.

Then, they came to a clearing in the forest which had a large pot over the fire. The smells coming from it were heavenly to the three of them. The only issue is that this clearly looked like someone else’s meal. Well, it was only an issue to two of them.

“Alright, some grub!” Tristan exclaimed as he rushed over.

“Tristan, that’s clearly made by someone for someone!” Tea shouted.

“Don’t worry, we’ll eat now and ask questions about all that later.” Tristan reached the pot lid only for a large, wooden spoon to smack his hand. “Ow!”

He, Yugi, and Tea all looked only to see that a pale lady, around their age, having seemingly arrived out of nowhere. At the very least, none of them had seen her before this. She had long, dark purple hair, in a side ponytail, and light blue eyes. Her attire consisted of a short navy robe look with purple trim. She wore a duel gauntlet with five star chips in it.

“Don’t remove my lid, or you’ll ruin the flavor.” The lady looked at Tristan sternly. “Also, don’t steal food that doesn’t belong to you.”

Tristan suddenly felt like he was being scolded by his mother. “Gah, I’m sorry!”

That made the lady relax before she addressed all three of them. “Now, if you all would like some of my food, I don’t mind sharing.” This drew out Yugi and Tea. “That said, it is important that lid remains on for a bit longer to simmer.”

“We would certainly appreciate it.” Yugi stated.

“Would it be possible to get two extra bowls for a couple of our friends who aren’t here right now?” Tea asked. “We sort of split up to find food.”

“Sure, I see no problem with that.” The lady shrugged. “By the way, my name is Penumbra Nocturna.”

“I’m Tea Gardner.” Tea responded before looking to Tristan who was flexing the hand she hit. “The one who tried to steal your food is Tristan Taylor.”

“I’m Yugi Muto.” Yugi finished.

“You’re Yugi Muto?” Penumbra appraised him before noticing his duel gauntlet. “I see.” She smiled. “I can’t pass up on a chance like this. Considering how long my stew must still simmer for, how about we duel to pass the time?”

Yugi’s puzzle glowed, and he changed as he normally would. “Penumbra Nocturna, I accept your challenge.”

A stadium rose behind Penumbra. “I’m glad to hear that.”

Penumbra took to the red side and Yugi stepped onto the blue side before they were risen above the field.

“Since I issued the challenge, you can name the stakes.” Penumbra offered.

“How does two star chips sound?” Yugi offered as he placed them on his console.

Penumbra followed suit. “Sounds good to me.”

“Let’s Duel!”

(Yugi 2000/Penumbra 2000)

“I believe I shall get us started.” Yugi drew. “I will summon my Obnoxious Celtic Guard(LV 4/1400/1200) in attack mode.” An elf warrior appeared. “I’ll end my turn there.”

“Is he attempting to put me into a false sense of ease, or is there more to this play than it looks?” Penumbra contemplated as she drew. “I should play this carefully.” She choose a card from her hand. “I activate the continuous spell Burden of the Mighty.

This spell decreases the ATK of every monster you control by 100 x their level.” Obnoxious Celtic Guard(LV 4/1000/1200 effect). “I’ll then summon Ghost Bird of Bewitchment(LV 4/1300/1500) in my leftmost zone.”

“Why would she mention where she put her monster?” Tristan questioned confused. “No one else has ever done that.”

“I did that because my monster has varying effects depending on where I summon him.” Penumbra explained. “By summoning him to the left most section of the field, he gains 1000 ATK/DEF.” Ghost Bird of Bewitchment(LV 4/2300/2500 effect).

“Oh, that’ll be a lot of life points if she succeeds.” Tristan commented.

“Ghost Bird, destroy Celtic Guard.” Penumbra declared.

“Celtic Guard can’t be destroyed in battles with monsters who have 1900 ATK or more.” Yugi declared. “Additionally, I can discard Kuriboh from my hand which means I take no battle damage from this battle.”

“Way to go Yugi!” Tea cheered.

“There was certainly more to his turn than what I could see.” Penumbra smiled. “This is going to be a more challenging duel than I even assumed. I’ll end my turn.”

“I’ll need some way to get around that spell card because even my Blue-Eyes would be too weak to overcome her ghost bird. That means I either need to start drawing into my Silent Swordsmen or draw something just as good.”

Yugi drew. “This works.” He nodded. “Your continuous spell is hard to contend with for most; however, my deck is no stranger to overcoming them. I summon Breaker the Magical Warrior(LV 4/1500/1000 effect).” A magical warrior in red armor appeared.

“When he is summoned, this monster comes with a Spell Counter which grants him 300 more ATK. If I remove that counter, I can destroy any 1 spell/tarp on the field. I’ll use it to destroy your Burden of the Mighty.”

Obnoxious Celtic Guard(LV 4/1400/1200)
Breaker the Magical Warrior(LV 4/1600/1000)

“Alright, Yugi managed to get rid of that continuous spell, but neither of his monsters are strong enough to deal with Penumbra’s monster.” Tristan commented.

“Well, sometimes you got to choose what will be most advantageous when it comes to taking your turn.” Tea reasoned.

“With that, I shall set one card to end my turn.” Yugi declared.

“Considering the hand I had, this second turn is one where my deck can really take off.” Penumbra drew. “I summon Firebird(LV 4/1000/800).” A large, red feathered bird appeared. “Now, I construct the overlay network with my two level four winged beast monsters.”

“Construct the overlay network?” Tristan questioned.

“That’s what someone does when they Xyz summon.” Tea responded. “It’s a kind of like fusion except you take two monsters of the same level and overlay them to summon a stronger monster.”

Penumbra continued. “Descend from the skies, Ice Beast Zerofyne(R 4/O 2/2000/2200).”

A light blue, winged lady appeared.

“Xyz monsters were released not too long before Duelist Kingdom.” Yugi noted. “The fact that you have even one is noteworthy.”

“Just wait until you see what she can do.” Penumbra stated. “By detaching 1 overlay unit, her effect negates the effects of every face up card you have on the field. Then, she gains three hundred ATK for every effect negated through this effect.

This last until my next standby phase. Go, Perfect Freeze!” Ice Beast Zerofyne(R 4/O 1/2600/2200 effect). “Since you had two cards with effects face up, my monster gains six hundred attack. She’ll now attack your Breaker.”

“While that is an impressive ability, it overlooked my face down Ambush Shield.” Yugi announced. “With this, I can tribute Celtic Guard and grant his DEF to Breaker the Magical Warrior(LV 4/2800/1000 effect)’s ATK. Your monster will be the one destroyed.”

Zerofyne charged at Breaker who sliced into her shattering the opposing monster (Yugi 2000/Penumbra 1800).

“I’ll set one card and end my turn.” Penumbra stated. “I must say, you are certainly playing like someone who could beat Seto Kaiba.”

“You’re not bad yourself, but this duel is still on.” Yugi drew. “I’ll summon my Dark Magician(LV 7/2500/2100).” The purple robbed magician appeared. “I’ll then set 2 cards to end my turn.”

“Whoa, Yugi’s taken a commanding lead.” Tristan declared.

“He has, but I’m not certain Penumbra is out of options.” Tea commented.

“Looks like I’ll need to go one step further to match what he’s giving me.” Penumbra drew. “I’ll activate my face down Xyz Reborn. This trap allows me to target 1 Xyz monster in my graveyard and summon them back to the field.

My only target is Ice Beast Zerofyne(R 4/O 0/2600/2200 effect). When an Xyz monster is summoned from the grave, they have no overlay units, but Xyz Reborn is kind enough to become one.”

“Unfortunately for you, Dark Magician isn’t an effect monster, and I have no cards face up on my field with effects either.” Yugi stated.

“You’re right about that, so I’ll just need to take my monster to the next rank.” Penumbra declared. “I activate Rank-Up-Magic Flight Force. I must first banish an overlay until attached to 1 Xyz monster I control, so Xyz Reborn is gone.

Then, I can rebuild the overlay network with Ice Beast Zerofyne to Xyz summon a Winged Beast monster 1 rank higher. Break your shackles, Xyz summon Ice Princess Zereort(R 5/O1/2500/2100).”

“Whoa, Xyz monsters are something else if they can do all that.” Tristan commented.

“No kidding.” Tea commented. “Considering what she gave to bring her out, I’m wondering just what it can do.”

“Your monster is evenly matched with mind in terms of ATK.” Yugi commented.

“That is true, but just as with Zerofyne, Zereort has her own effect.” Penumbra declared. “By detaching one overlay unit, I can target one monster you control and reduce their ATK to 0. Go, Subzero Subtraction!”

Ice Princess Zereort(R 5/O0/2500/2100)

Dark Magician(LV 7/0/2100 effect)

“Oh no.” Tea stated worriedly. “If her next attack goes through, Yugi loses.”

“Zereort, shatter Dark Magician.” Penumbra declared.

“Not so fast.” Yugi declared. “I activate my face down Soul Shield. By halving my own life points, this card prevents my monster’s destruction and ends your battle phase (Yugi 1000/Penumbra 1800).”

“I figured that wouldn’t be enough to end you, but I had to try regardless.” Penumbra smiled. “I end my turn; however, my Zereort’s prior effect isn’t going to vanish. That means your Dark Magician can’t stand up to my monster.”

“Well, I can’t argue that. As is stands, he can’t overcome your monster…” Yugi drew before smiling. “…but that doesn’t mean another can’t. I summon Blue-Eyes White Dragon(LV 8/3000/2500).”

“Nice!” Tristan exclaimed. “I was wondering when we’d see Yugi use his Blue-Eyes.”

“Not only is he using it, but now Yugi has two of his best monsters on the field.” Tea added.

“The legendary Blue-Eyes…” Penumbra stared at the monster before focusing on Yugi. “That one can destroy my monster.”

“He can do more than that after I activate my last face down, Dark Spiral Force.” Yugi declared. “This card allows me to double the ATK of 1 monster I control; however, Dark Magician is unable to attack the turn I activate this card. I double Blue-Eye’s ATK.”

Blue-Eyes White Dragon(LV 8/6000/2500 effect)

“Oh, that’s not good.” Penumbra noted with a sweat drop.

“It’s time to end this Blue-Eyes!” Yugi declared. “Destroy Zereort with White Lightning!”

Blue-Eyes blasted white lighting at Zereort destroying her (Yugi 1000/Penumbra 0).

“Way to go Yugi!” Tea cheered.

Tristan flexed.

“At least I can say I lost to one of only four Blue-Eyes in the world.” Penumbra remarked.

“It took more than just my Blue-Eyes to win that turn.” Yugi responded. “I had to pull off a combo; otherwise, there’s no telling how this duel could have turned out.”

Penumbra smiled before they got down from the arena. As promised, she turned over two star chips and a large container of her stew. Easily enough to feed five people.

“There are people out there that may doubt your skills, but I experienced them first hand.” Penumbra nodded. “You are a truly skilled duelist with the potential to win this whole tournament.”

“I’ll certainly keep giving it my all.” Yugi noted.

From there, the group left to meet back up with their friends.

Author's Note:

Penumbra Nocturna is an OC from PearlyDoesStuff. This chapter, 1 duel wasn't enough content for the full chapter, it'd have been short, hence why I decided to cover 2. This will likely happen again, but I think that's a good thing. I mean, more duels per chapter.

PreviousChapters Next