• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,148 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,148

PreviousChapters Next
Top 12:Part II

Above the Water: Duke vs Blue Blood
Blue Blood rose along the blue side of the arena which sat above the water and saw his opponent, Duke, standing across from him. “Sometimes, it is nice not to worry about any objectives with my dueling.”

“Sunset and the others say this guy is tough, but any duel is subject to the tides that be lady luck.” Duke smiled. “I don’t think we should waste time, so why don’t we get to the duel?”

“I’m not in any hurry.” Blue Blood voiced casually. “After all, it’s rare I get the opportunity to smell the roses. Once we commence the duel, you just aren’t going to last long.”

“How long I last will be dictated by Lady Luck, so you could be right.” Duke responded. “Just as equally, you could be wrong.”

“Luck.” Blue Blood shook his head. “If that’s how you choose to live your life, then so be it; however, the fact that no one who relies on it stands at the pinnacle of this game implies it’s not the end all be all you seem to think it is.’

“Isn’t it?” Duke questioned. “After all, the only way to supersede luck is through cheating. Without it, any duelist is at the mercy of how their deck answers them. You could draw a hand of monsters, spells, traps, or a nice, balanced hand. At the end of the day, it’s luck.”

“I don’t discredit the part luck has to play in the duel.” Blue Blood reasoned. “I just mean that it’s nothing more than a mere part, and relying on it alone will never get you too far against someone who understands this.”

“If you really think that, then show me.” Duke responded.

“Very well.” Blue smiled. “I suppose this was enough time.”

“Let’s Duel!”

(Duke 2000/Blue 2000)

“I believe to prove my point; I will need to go first.” Blue declared. “I will tribute Drytron Alpha Thuban from my hand in order to special summon Drytron Delta Altais(LV 1/2000/0) in defense position.” A multi-legged, futuristic goat machine appeared.

“Hold on a second.” Duke stated. “Was that a legal move?”

“The console registered it as such.” Blue smiled. “See, most of my deck is comprised of Level 1 monsters that can be special summoned in defense by merely tributing a Drytron or any Ritual monster from the hand or field. In short, I don’t normal summon.”

“Okay, that’s different.” Duke noted to himself.

“There’s more to it than that.” Blue continued. “All my monsters have added effects. For instance, by showing you my Drytron Hemisphere ritual spell, Altais allows me to draw a card replacing the cost I just had to pay.”

“Even though he had to summon it in defense, that effect more than makes up for it.” Duke thought. “Thanks to it, he got a monster out with no cost at all.”

“That is not all, for I will now tribute Altais to special summon Drytron Gamma Eltanin(LV 1/2000/0) in defense position.” A bipedal lizard machine with huge boosters on the back appeared.

“Its effect grants me any Drytron with 2000 ATK from the grave except itself. I’ll choose the first monster I tributed being Drytron Alpha Thuban(LV 1/2000/0).” A bipedal lizard machine with wings and blades for arms appeared.

“What does that one do?” Duke asked.

“Not how it works, I’m afraid.” Blue smiled. “Their extra effects only kick in when special summoned through their own effects meaning he’s just a 2000 ATK body thanks to Eltanin not summoning it in defense. Now, I will set one card and end my turn.”

“Alright, I’m starting to see why they’d warn me about this guy.” Duke drew. “I’ll start by summoning Dicelops(LV 4/1800/200).” A large, blue machine appeared. “This is a risky card depending on what I roll, so let’s roll the die!” He rolled and it came up as a 3.

“That means I must discard 1 card from my hand, and I choose Desperado Barrel Dragon which has an effect that only cares about being sent to the grave rather than who did it. I can add a monster with a coin tossing effect to my hand from the deck. I’ll choose Barrel Dragon.”

“Looks like I’m not the only one who can add cards from the hand.” Blue commented.

“No, you aren’t.” Duke agreed. “Unlike you, I can’t play him; however, I can utilize my Limiter Removal doubling my machine type Dicelops(LV 4/3600/200 effect) ATK until the end of the turn where he’ll be destroyed. He’ll now attack your Thuban.”

“A decent play, but you’re not the only one with Machine specific cards.” Blue Blood countered. “I activate Pulse Mines. Provided I control at least one Machine, this card changes your attack position monsters to defense and will do the same if you manage to summon anything else.”

“That’s not good.” Duke noted. “I’ll set two cards and end my turn meaning Dicelops is now destroyed.”

“This duel is over.” Blue Blood declared before drawing.

“What do you mean?” Duke asked. “Do you have a monster than can attack directly?”

“Not a monster than can attack directly, but I do have quite the monster that can still inflict damage.” Blue shook his head. “That’s not the point considering I don’t have it in my hand. I activate the Ritual Spell Drytron Hemisphere.

It allows me to use monsters from my hand or field, provided their ATK quals or exceeds the ATK of the monster I intend to summon, to ritual summon a monster from my deck. I send Gamma Eltanin and Alpha Thuban(ATK 2000) as the requirement.”

“That means at most you can ritual summon a monster with 4000 ATK right from the decks!” Duke exclaimed.

He’s never heard of a ritual spell using ATK instead of levels. Let alone having the capacity to bring out such a strong monster at relatively low costs. That’s not even accounting for ritual from the deck, but at least that is something he was aware of before now.

“Summoning a monster with 4000 ATK is just what I intend to do!” Blue Blood declared. “I call upon the power to blast my opponent’s defenses to ash. Ritual Summon Drytron Meteonis Quadrantids(LV 12/4000/4000).”

A bipedal, colossal machine dragon appeared radiating a brilliant light. “Provided the level of the monsters used to Ritual Summon him don’t exceed 2, this monster can obliterate your back row. Quadrantids, take aim and reduce those cards to ash!”

“It does what!?” Duke exclaimed before Quadrantids roared and fired on his back row reducing them to ash. “Even so, you’ve confirmed this monster doesn’t have the ability to defeat me, so this isn’t the end of the duel.

Hemisphere could have been used to fetch that specific monster just as it was used to fetch Quadrantids.” Blue responded. “In the end, I do love obliterating the back row. As I inferred before, it won’t matter thanks to Drytron Hologram.

This particular spell allows me to special summon a Drytron Token(LV 1/2000/0) to either side of the field in whatever battle position I wish. I’ll summon it to your field in attack position. In short, I gift you a monster for me to attack.”

“You, what!?” Duke asked.

A hologram of a half sized Quadrantids appeared on Duke’s field.

“Before I end this, I’ll make my point.” Blue declared. “While it’s true I had no way of knowing what my hand would be, with the way my deck is structured, there is innumerable ways to fix it. In short, if luck betrays you, then fix the hand you are dealt. Quadrantids destroy Drytron Hologram. Go, Supernova!”

Quadrantids lit up brightly and roared to the heavens as a large sphere of light appeared above it. When it was ready, the sphere crashed into Drytron Hologram, decimating it. Since this wasn’t a situation like PaniK, Blue saw no reason to make the damage real or destroy a thing

(Duke 0/Blueblood 2000)

Blue Blood left Duke, stunned, as he moved back to land. “Those tied to fate and luck must realize the truth.” He walked away. “Life is inherently unfair. If you continue to abide by its flow, and merely mitigate its negatives, you’ll get reality checked at every possible turn.”

Duke fell to his knees wide eyed and speechless bringing a close to the third duel of the Top 12.

Down the Stairs: Yugi vs Shining
Yugi, with Tea accompanying him, saw Shining Armor awaiting him on the red side, so he took to the blue side letting it raise him up to the console. Tea looked on worriedly even though Yugi assured her he was ready for this.

“I really hope you are, Yugi.” Tea thought while cupping her hands.

“Even though he managed to tell me how I could improve my deck, a duel like this might be my chance to really speak with the spirit inside my Millenium Puzzle.” Yugi put his deck on the console. “I’m here for our duel, Shining.”

“Yes, you are.” Despite what this tournament has become, Shining was still glad to finally get his duel with Yugi. “I’ve wanted this since that night we first met aboard the boat to this island.
I want to see what someone who could beat Kaiba can do.”

“You might be disappointed then because Kaiba beat me before he had that duel with Pegasus.” Yugi voiced.

“Hm, I see.” Shining smiled regardless. “While most might see that as your first victory being nothing but a fluke, it doesn’t matter to me. Even though Kaiba has beaten you, it doesn’t take away from the fact you beat him before. Give me your best.”

“Same to you because I don’t intend on losing.” Yugi returned.

“Let’s Duel!”

(Yugi 2000/Shining 2000)

“The duel’s begun, yet I still don’t feel his presence which means I’ll just need to duel myself.” Yugi drew. “I must use everything grandpa taught me, and what I’ve learned with that spirit to do this until we can talk.” He drew. “I’ll take the first move!”

“Be my guest.” Shining returned.

“I can do quite a bit.” Yugi noted. “I’ll start by activating Foolish Burial allowing me to take any one monster I want from my deck and put it in the grave. “I’ll then normal summon Big-Winged Berfomet(LV 5/1400/1800).” A four-armed malicious fiend with huge wings appeared.

“Big-Winged Berfomet?” Shining questioned.

“That’s exactly my question.” Tea thought. “Yugi’s only ever had Berfomet before now.”

“This card, and others that combo well with it, came from packs released just before this tournament.” Yugi declared. “Fortunately, I managed draw them meaning this first turn is going big in terms of setting up the rest of the duel.”

“Alright.” Shining smiled. “Continue and let me see what they can do.”

“You got it.” Yugi nodded. “When Big-Winged Berfomet is summoned, I can add up to two certain cards from my deck to my hand. The first is a Level 4 Beast monster while the second is Chimera Fusion. I’ll add both Chimera Fusion and Gazelle the King of Mythical Claws. Then, I’ll set one card and end my turn.”

“Alright, my move!” Shining drew and smiled. “You’re not the only one who can add cards from the deck to the hand. I activate my Heritage of the Chalice allowing me to add any Noble Knight or Noble Arms card from my deck to my hand.

I believe I’ll then take a page from your book and activate my own Foolish Burial to send any monster I wish from my deck to the grave. I may not know what you were planning with your play, but this next play of mine will be big.”

“Don’t worry about me because I’m well defended.” Yugi declared.

“Let’s just see about that as I summon Lady of the Lake(LV 1/200/1800).” A blond haired lady in a light blue and white dress appeared. “When she is summoned, I can special summon a Normal Noble Knight from my grave.

Thanks to Foolish Burial, I have Noble Knight Artorigus(LV 4/1800/1800).” Unlike Pegasus’ cartoon version of this card, the original was the true definition of a knight. “Now, Lady will give Artorigus a tune up to Synchro for 5.”

“That monster is a tuner?” Tea thought shocked.

Knight overtaken by the darkness within his heart, appear!” Shining continued. “Synchro summon Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn(LV 5/2100/900).” The black haired warrior appeared cloaked in a dark aura.

“When he’s Synchro summoned, I can choose any one Noble Arms I wish from my deck and equip it to him. I’ll choose Noble Arms-Arfeudutyr. This equip, once per turn, allows me to have my monster lose 500 ATK in return for destroying one card in your back row.”

Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn(LV 5/1600/900)

“I’ll chain the card you just targeted, Chimera Fusion.” Yugi countered.

“It was a Quick-Play!” Shining had assumed he’d hit a trap rather than the card Yugi added.


“This spell works just like Polymerization; however, I must use a beast or fiend monster.” Yugi declared. “I’ll combine my Chimera on the field with the Gazelle in my hand. Fusion summon Chimera the Phantom Beast King(LV 2100/1800).” A two headed bipedal beast appeared.

“Its stats aren’t any different from Chimera the Mythical Flying Beast.” Tea noted.

“The stats might be the same, but the effect is where this new beast shines.” Yugi declared. “First, Chimera and Gazelle each have effects that trigger because they were used as fusion material. Gazelle allows me to add 1 Illusion monster from my deck to my hand while Berfomet allows me to special summon an Illusion monster from my grave to the field.”

“Illusion monsters?” Tea pondered.

“I had no idea Pegasus would link those monsters to that new archetype.” Shining noted. “What effects they are as well.”

Yugi added a monster from his deck before retrieving the monster from his grave. “I special summon Cornfield Coatl(LV 4/500/1700) in defense position.” A winged, green snake monster appeared coiled up on Yugi’s field.

“Way to go Yugi!” Tea cheered.

“I concur.” Shining nodded. “That was impressive.”

“Thanks, but there is still one last effect.” Yugi declared. “Phantom Beast King, when Fusion summoned, allows me to send 1 random card from your hand to the grave, and I choose the one of the far right.”

“That’s my Noble Arms-Clarent which would have allowed me to attack you directly.” Shining pitched the card. “Is that all?”

“Yeah, that’s all the effects I have for now meaning you can continue your turn.” Yugi declared.

“In the face of your new monsters, there isn’t much I can do.” Shining stated. “That is why I will set one card to end my turn.”

“You’ve been playing well, Yugi.”

Yugi snapped to attention as he once again felt that familiar presence of his other self, but it just as quickly began to fade.

“Wait, other me!” Yugi called out in his mind, and while the presence did remain for a few moments more, it still faded. “If something is wrong, come back, and we can talk about it!”

There was nothing more beyond that.

“Yugi, are you alright?” Shining raised an eyebrow. “It’s still your turn.”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Yugi drew. “I’ll have my Phantom Beast King attack your Ignoble Knight.”

“I activate my face down Battleguard Howling.” Shining countered. “When you target a Warrior-type monster I control for an attack, I can in turn target that monster, deal you damage equal to their attack, and return them to the hand. In this case, the extra deck.”

“In almost any other circumstance, that effect would have gone off without a hitch.” Yugi countered. “Here, Coatl protects Chimera the King of Mythical Beast, which Phantom Beast King counts as, from targeting effects by banishing himself from the field or grave.”

“Looks like your combo was quite potent.” With nothing to defend his monster with, Shining’s Ignoble Knight was destroyed (Yugi 2000/Shining 1500). “Even though he was an Ignoble Knight, my monster was still a Noble Knight all the same. By destroying him equipped with a Noble Arms spell, I’m allowed to return Heritage of the Chalice from my grave to my hand.

“Despite being put on the back foot, Shining is making plays that can further advance future turns…why does it feel like I can to?” Something was gnawing at Yugi’s mind, but he couldn’t quite grasp the idea. “I’ll now summon my Mirror Swordknight(LV 4/1900/300).” A floating top half of armor with a large blade for a hand appeared. “With one set card, I end my turn.”

“Something is wrong.” Tea noted now worried again. “Yugi looked like he had another move he could have made only to lose his train of thought.”

“It’s my turn!” Shining drew. “I’ll activate Heritage of the Chalice to add a Noble Knight or Noble Arms card from my deck to my hand. Then, I’ll activate Last Chapter of the Noble Knights. Since you control at least one monster, and I control none, I can pull from my grave.

To be more specific, I can summon any Noble Knight and equip them with any Noble Arms I wish from the grave. I special summon Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn(LV 5/2100/900) and equip him with Noble Arms-Clarent.

I’ll then equip him with Noble Arms-Gallatin. This will raise my monster’s ATK by 1000, but he’ll then lose 200 ATK on every one of my Stand-By Phases. That might not matter considering Clarent allows me to attack you directly at the cost of 500 life points.”

Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn(LV 5/3100/900 effect)

“That equip spell does what!?” Tea exclaimed.

“Now, I give up 500 life points to allow my Ignoble Knight to launch a direct attack (Yugi 2000/Shining 1000)!” Shining declared.

“I activate my face down, Nutrient Z!” Yugi countered. “When I’m about to take over 2000 life points of damage, this card first gives me 4000 extra life points (Yugi 6000-2900/Shining 1000).”

“I activate Emergency Provisions.” Shining declared. “It allows me to send any other spell/trap cards I control to the grave and gain 1000 life points for each. I’ll send Noble Arms-Gallatin to refresh my life points (Yugi 2900/Shining 2000) and end my turn with one set card.”

Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn(LV 5/2100/900)

“Shining Armor is all out of cards in his hand while Yugi still has five.” Tea noted. “Keep up the pressure Yugi! Even if his life points returned to where they began, he’s used a lot of advantage to get here while you have cards to spare!”

“Almost any other duelist, and I’d agree with Tea; however, Shining doesn’t seem like the type to let it stay that way.” Yugi drew and still couldn’t help but think he was forgetting something important. “What am I missing? Spirit, what am I forgetting?”

He wasn’t talking leading to Yugi pressing on regardless of whatever it was he was blind.

“I activate Polymerization to combine Phantom Beast King and Mirror Swordknight.” Yugi declared. “I call upon the chimera of illusion to aid me in this battle. Fusion summon Chimera the Illusion Beast(LV 8/3100/2800).” A taller, two headed monsters with blades appeared.

“That retrain has an upgraded fusion to go with it?” Shining asked amazed.

“You can see it on the field, and this one has quite the effect.” Yugi declared. “I’ll show them to you during this battle. “Illusion Beast, attack High Laundsallyn with Illusionary Slash!”

Chimera flew into the air before coming down and slashing through Shining’s monster; however, ‘through’ was quite literal as the blades did not damage the dark warrior. Residual, magical energy did flow through Shining reducing his life points (Yugi 2900/Shining 1000).”

“What just happened?” Shining asked.

“It’s one of my monster’s effects.” Yugi declared. “Any time this monster engages in battle, neither monster can be destroyed. At first, that might seem like a good thing, but this monster then permanently zeros the attack of the monster it battled and negates their effects.”

Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn(LV 5/0/900 effect)

“Well, that’s some effect.” Shining noted.

“Another effect of my monster is that he can launch attacks equal number of monsters used as materials for him.” Yugi declared. “Since I used two, that means he can attack your monster again. “Go, Illusionary Slash!”

“Alright, if this attack connects, you’ve won!” Tea cheered.

“Fortunately, I set this card with the intention of saving me from losing this duel right now.” Shining declared. “I activate Defense Draw. This trap makes all battle damage I’d take from this battle zero and grants me one draw.”

“Looks like I played a little too cautiously.” Something was still nagging at Yugi, but he just couldn’t figure it out. “Alright, I’ll set one card and end my turn.”

“My move!” Shining drew. “I summon Ignoble Knight of Black Laundsallyn(LV 5/2000/800).” A warrior with black hair and armor appeared. “Now, I construct the overlay network with my two level 5 monsters.

I call upon the scared knight to the king of all Noble Knights. Xyz summon Sacred Noble Knight of King Artorigus(R 5/O 2/2200/2200).” An imposing, muscular knight appeared. “When this monster is Xyz summoned, I can target up to 3 Noble Arms in my grave.

Then, I can equip them to this monster, and I choose the maximum arsenal. Noble Arms-Clarent, Noble Arms-Gallatin, and Noble Arms-Arfeudutyr.” Sacred Noble Knight of King Artorigus(R 5/O 2/3200/2200 effect).

“I activate my face down Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy your Clarent and prevent a direct attacks.” Yugi countered.

“That will prevent you from losing this turn, but I still have one equip to play.” Shining declared. “I equip my knight with Rainbow Veil before attacking your monster with holy judgement. When a monster equipped with Rainbow Veil attacks, it negates the opposing monster’s effects.”

Yugi went wide eyed. “It does what?”

Sacred Knight’s blade glowed a holy white before firing at Yugi’s monster destroying it (Yugi 2800/Shining 1000).

“Yugi!” Tea yelled worriedly.

“I have nothing further to play, so this is the end of my turn.” Shining declared. “Your move, Yugi.”

“This is bad.” Yugi was looking at his hand. “I have plenty of cards, but I’m not sure if any of them can help me overcome this. Gallatin boost his monster’s attack while he still has enough life points to use Arfeudutyr once, and that’s not even mentioning his monster’s own effects.

To top that off, I think I’ve done something wrong in how I’ve played. There’s something I missed. Spirit, please talk to me. I’ve come this far, but I don’t know if I can do this without you. Please, what happened? Why won’t you help me?”

At this point, Yugi could now sense his other self again, but it was faint. Still, it wasn’t vanishing like every other time between losing that duel to Kaiba and now. That seemed like a good sign, so maybe all he needed to do was keep playing at this point.

“Alright, my turn!” Yugi drew. “Black Luster Soldier – Super Soldier, Silent Swordsman, Zombyra the Dark, Silent Swordsman LV 5, and Horn of the Unicorn. I just need the ritual spell, and I can win this. I don’t know if I can draw it without the other me though.”

Before he could even get the chance to draw, Yugi had to make it past this turn. Even as things stood, he could only see one way to buy even a little more time.

“I set one monster before ending my turn.” Yugi declared.

“Yugi’s coming unraveled with the destruction of his fusion.” Tea thought worriedly.

“You’re starting to lose steam.” Shining commented grabbing Yugi’s attention. “Look, I hardly know what must be going through your mind, but that doesn’t matter when weighed against the fact that you stand here now.

No matter what trials you faced, no matter what trials might await you, the fact remains that you faced each one before coming to stand across from me now. If you’re going through something, then face it. Bottling whatever is wrong up will help you achieve nothing.”

Shining’s words reached more than the Yugi he was currently dueling.

“How can I come to grips with my failures? I couldn’t stop Pegasus from taking Mr. Muto’s soul, and I later went on to lose against Kaiba in our rematch. All I want is to help Yugi, but what do I do when my help isn’t enough?”

Through those words, Yugi not only felt his other self’s prescence more, but he now recognized the problem.

Mindscape
Yugi stood across from his other self who was only looking at the ground with shadows covering his eyes.

“Spirit, defeat comes with the territory of duel monsters just as much as victory.” Yugi declared. “Just because you lose, it doesn’t mean you haven’t helped me. Before I got the puzzle, gramps said I was a fast learner, but having you with me, even if I didn’t know it, only made me better.

It’s because of you that I’ve managed to duel this long against an American Champion. You’re also the one who defeated Kaiba the first time around and helped me make it to this point in Pegasus’ tournament. It’s because of you that there’s even a chance to rescue grandpa.”

“What about my failures?” The spirit looked at him. “If I had beaten Pegasus before, we wouldn’t be here now. Then, I lost to Kaiba who in turn lost to Pegasus…What if I’m not enough to help you defeat him?”

“Those duels are in the past.” Yugi voiced. “Win or lose, every duel brings us to the next. If all we do is fixate on the results rather than what we could learn, then we’ve already lost. Besides, you haven’t been alone. I’ve been with you through every duel just as you’ve been with me.”

The spirit couldn’t help but smile at Yugi’s words. “Maybe you’re right…”

Near the Stairs
There was the familiar, golden glow as the spirit was now fully back. “You’re right, Shining Armor. Keeping everything in is only to the detriment of my dueling, but I’m ready now to finish this out.”

“That’s what I like to hear.” Shining smiled as he drew. “Let’s see if you even get that chance because I’m equipping my Sacred Knight with Fairy Meteor Crush meaning my monster can now deal piercing battle damage. Sacred Knight, holy judgement!”

Sacred Knight’s blade shined with a holy light before he swung it out launching a beam right at the face down card which was Silent Swordsman LV 5(LV 5/2300/1000) (Yugi 600/Shining 1000).

“Once again, I have no further plays meaning it’s your turn.” Shining smiled. “Let’s see just what you can really do.”

“At this point, to secure the victory, we need one card.” Yugi moved his hand towards the deck, but it was shaky. “One card, and we can win this right now. Can we really draw that card?”

“I think we can.” This time, Yugi was talking to the spirit. “Remember, we’re in this together. Not just you and me. Even if we don’t have everyone here physically, we’re still together where it counts, so we can draw just the card we need to bring this home.”

Yugi looked down at his hand and could clearly see the symbol that was on there the day he dueled Kaiba even if was no longer there now. He could do this. That made his hand steady before he drew.

Yugi drew. “Shining Armor, you’ve put up a great fight…” He smiled. “…but this turn is where the duel ends. It all starts with this card!” He showed it. “Chaos Form!”

“You have one of those ritual monsters!” Shining exclaimed since he didn’t expect this.

Yugi played the card. “This card works by tributing monster whose levels equal or exceed the level of the ritual monster I’m about to bring out. Silent Swordsman and Zombyra the Dark are both Level 4 meaning I can bring out a monster whose level is eight or below.

I combine the energies of my two separate monsters to bring about one of the soldiers of chaos. Ritual summon Black Luster Soldier - Super Soldier(LV 8/3000/2500).” A blue warrior in immaculate blue, gold, and red armor appeared.

“Is that really one of the six Black Luster Soldiers?” Shining questioned in shock. “I didn’t think my words would result in something like this, but that is just amazing.” He then smiled. “For as impressive as your soldier is, my knight is still 200 points stronger.”

“Not for long he isn’t.” Yugi declared. “I have one last card in my hand, and I can think of no better card, in this situation, than an equip of my own. I activate Horn of the Unicorn and give it to my soldier boosting his ATK by 700.”

Black Luster Soldier - Super Soldier(LV 8/3700/2500 effect)

“Super Soldier, Super Chaos Blade!” Yugi exclaimed.

Super Soldier swung his blade down generating a beam of energy that rushed toward Sacred Knight and cut him clean in half destroying the opposing monster in a bath of light (Yugi 600/Shining 500).

“Yugi just pulled out another powerful monster.” Tea noted in amazement.

“Your knight is vanquished, and your life points will follow due to my ritual monster’s effect.” Yugi declared. “Provided he’s destroyed a monster and sent it to the grave, you take damage equal to your monster’s original ATK.”

“Oh, it’s that Black Luster.” Shining noted.

Super Soldier glowed blue before projecting an astral version of Sacred Knight which launched a direct attack at Shining Armor (Yugi 600/Shining 0).

“Way to go Yugi!” Tea cheered.

With the duel over, Shining went from shock to laughing. “You really are one tough duelist.” He grinned and nodded. “It truly was as great a duel as I hoped for.”

“Shining Armor.” Yugi stated grabbing the older duelist’s attention. “Thank you for what you said. Without your words, I wouldn’t have been able to confront my weaknesses and fears. Without that, I wouldn’t have won.”

“This duel was thanks enough, but part of me hopes I get to face you again one day.” Shining nodded.

Yugi gave him a thumbs up at that which Shining gladly returned. They both then lowered to the ground with Tea coming over to celebrate with Yugi while Shining moved towards the stairs.

“Shining Armor, where are you going?” Yugi asked.

“Oh, I simply want to go grab my own things from the castle rather than allowing Pegasus’ people to do it for me.” Shining assured with a smile.

“Alright, just be careful.” Yugi stated. “We’ve all seen what Pegasus is capable of.”

“Right.” Shining agreed before beginning the walk up the stairs. “After everything Pegasus has put these kids through, I can only imagine most of it, they don’t need to face him.” The Noble Knights user clenched his fist. “Even if you don’t want it, I’m dueling you Pegasus!”

Author's Note:

If Duke wanted to stand a chance with his deck, he'd have had to know just what he'd be facing. Considering the gang hasn't really seen his deck in action, they couldn't have warned him leading to a rather devastating defeat.

As for the Yugi duel, Atem wasn't holding Yugi back like Yugi had been doing to him. The problem here is that Yugi hasn't grown into the duelist he will be at the end of the series. Hence him forgetting about Chimera Fusion's other effect.

While he tried to remain strong and confident, again he lacks the complete experiance of the series leading to some worry as things begin to shift into Shining's favor. In the end, Yugi got his protagonist moment by helping Atem, and they came together to win.

As for Shining going to face Pegasus, do keep in mind that the Top 12, these six duels, are all happening relatively within the same time frame. This does mean you'll have to wait for the middling part I've mentioned to see how that turns out.

PreviousChapters Next