• Published 12th Sep 2022
  • 3,146 Views, 1,145 Comments

An Equestrian Element - Quillion9000



After the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset ends up moving to Domino City, Japan.

  • ...
9
 1,145
 3,146

PreviousChapters Next
Journey to Duelist Kingdom:Part I

?
There was what sounded like a mobile which was playing some form of music.

“Sending her away is the only chance we have.” A feminine voice Sunset felt she’s heard before stated.

“Considering you won’t explain more than that, it hardly matters to me!” A younger, male voice stated furiously. “She’s my ------. I won’t let you do this.”

“You have no choice.” The female retorted firmly. “I’m your ------, and I am doing what’s best for both of you.”

“What’s best for us!?” The male shouted now furious. “How is this what’s best for us when you just told me you’re sending her away!?”

Sunset then heard a loud thud, and the guy seemed to be gasping for breath. That brought about the familiar sounds of herself, Sunset, crying. The same crying, she recalled from that memory in Canterlot Castle’s Garden.

Then, the female spoke up sincerely. “I’m sorry ------, but hopefully you’ll come to understand that I’m only trying to protect you both.”

Sunset just kept crying as the sounds of running were heard.

“Sunset! Sunset!” The male voiced called out clearly distressed. “SUNSET!”

Sunset’s Apartment: Dawn
Sunset bolted upright panting and in a cold sweat. She could feel tears running down her cheek, so she wiped them before getting out of bed. The girl walked to a nearby window and stared out at Domino City.

“It’s that same dream again.” Sunset thought. “Ever since that duel with Pegasus, ever since I remembered just being a foal crying in Canterlot Castle’s Garden, that dream keeps repeating. Not every night but often enough.

Even though I don’t know their relation to me, those voices are familiar. The question arises that if I really wasn’t born a unicorn, then what am I?” She glanced over at a leather-bound book which had her cutie mark on it. “Somepony might know the answer.

Then again, she might not. Putting the pieces together, to my knowledge, the only way to enter Equestria is through a mirror. Under my time as Celestia’s student, I at least learned that she has many from when Star Swirl the Bearded created them.

That means I could very well be from this world or any other those mirrors connect to. It’s possible Celestia wouldn’t know and simply found me among those mirrors. That or she brought a mirror to the gardens which would link that crying to my dream’s crying.

Even if Celestia has the answers, it’s not like I can just write her up and ask.” She looked away from the book and back outside. “After everything I did, why would she ever help me?” She sighed. “In the end, does it even matter?

I don’t even know who those people from my dream are, and it’s not like I was all that compelled to return to Equestria in the first place. My choice was to come here on the word of my benefactor. What does that even say about me? For all I know, none of this is even real.

Pegasus first instigated these dreams from a memory that only showed up at that moment. What if it’s just some false memory brought on by his magic? Even if it’s not, what does this really matter when I should be thinking of helping Yugi get is grandpa’s soul back?”

Sunset just ended up confused like she did most mornings this happened. Considering she found it nearly impossible to get back to sleep after all that, she decided to get an early start to the day. Days like this usually started with an early morning run to clear her head.

Later…
When Sunset returned, she found a package that looked like the one Yugi got along with an envelope atop it. When she brought it into the apartment, the box held the same glove and two star chips; however, it did not come with the same tape.

Honestly, Sunset was glad for that. Not that she didn’t want another shot at Pegasus, but she’d prefer not losing someone else to him. As for the envelope, it contained five cards which was all the information on the coming tournament.

Domino High: Next Day…
The gang had gathered as Yugi and Sunset fanned out their received cards. Each of them had received five cards, and their five mirrored the others five.

“These out our invitations to Duelist Kingdom.” Yugi stated.

“So, this is where Pegasus is keeping Yugs’ grandpa?” Joey questioned.

“Maybe.” Yugi replied. “The only way to know for sure is to become a contestant.”

“If Yugi’s grandpa isn’t there, one of us will make Pegasus cough him up.” Sunset stated firmly.

“Yeah well, we’ll find out in two days because that’s when the ship leaves.” Yugi added.

“You guys shouldn’t go.” Tea stated worriedly. “It could be really dangerous.”

“I have to go because this is my only clue on rescuing grandpa.” Yugi then looked down at the cards before turning his attention to Sunset. “Maybe you…”

“Don’t try to stop me.” Sunset interrupted. “In the short time I’ve been here, you four have proven we’re friends. Right now, even though you’re one of the best duelists I know, two people are better than one.” She nodded to everyone. “Don’t worry, we’ll have each other’s backs.”

“Well, I can’t argue with that.” Yugi smiled. “Thank you, Sunset. This means a lot.”

“I just wish the rest of us had invitations.” Joey stated sincerely. “Two are better than one, but five should be even better than that.”

“Whoa, well maybe it isn’t all bad.” Tristan picked up one card from each of their five. “Check this out your two. According to this card, the tournament winner takes the prize of three million dollars.”

“So what, Tristan?” Yugi retorted. “Who cares about money at a time like this?”

“Hey, give me those.” Joey declared while snatching the cards. “Ah, three million.”

“Guess Joey does.” Yugi commented.

Sunset raised an eyebrow at this. “Why does he need three million?”

Before the Cruise: Evening…
Yugi and Sunset stood together staring at the ship that would take them to Duelist Kingdom. Up above, one of Pegasus’ men, who all wore black suits with sunglasses, with long, pointed brown hair stared down at the gathered duelists.

“Attention duelists, welcome to this event sponsored by Industrial Illusions. You received, with your invitation, the star chips that will grant you entry into this contest. You are all elite; invited by us after observation of your duel skills. You each have a fair and equal chance to win. It all comes down to how you’ve chosen your cards and how well you play. Now then duelists, cross the ocean and enter Duelist Kingdom!”

Sunset and Yugi then got in line with the others.

“Considering just how big this event is, we’re likely to run into a lot of big names. Really skilled duelists.” Sunset commented before her mind inadvertently turned to her former friends. “At least I can take some comfort in knowing Applejack and Rainbow Dash shouldn’t be here.

Granted, they are the most skilled duelists at CHS, but neither of them made a name for themselves. Come to think of it, I never could beat either of them, so I wouldn’t be here either if Pegasus hadn’t taken interest in my new magic.”

Whereas before she’d have become rather sad thinking back to them, she just didn’t now. Sunset chalked that up to her time with these new friends.

“That’s right Sunset, but we’ll just have to do our best.” Yugi replied.

“Hey you, get out of here! Only official contestants are allowed on board!”

“How do ya know I’m not official!?” Joey’s voice rang.

While this did draw attention, it particularly caught the pair’s attention.

“Because official duelists aren’t trying to sneak in through the lower hatches.”

They looked and saw their friend being forcibly dragged away.

“Joey!” Yugi/Sunset exclaimed in shock before rushing over.

“Leave him alone.” Sunset declared.

“Hey, Yugi and Sunset.” Joey greeted.

“What are you doing here Joey?” Yugi questioned.

“I know you have Sunset, but I want to help too.” Joey declared. “Come on, help me out you two.”

The pair of them smiled at that.

“He’s with us.” Yugi stated. “You got to let him on.”

“Only duelist with star chips are allowed on board, no exceptions. Understand?”

“But Joey has a star chip.” Yugi replied smoothly. “Didn’t he tell you?”

“Hold on Yugi.” He attempted to hold out a hand, but Sunset put a hand on his shoulder. “The sentiment is nice, but why don’t we settle this as duelists?” She took out her deck. “Joey has nothing to bet, but how about I put my place on the line?

I’ll duel anyone you wish. If I win, Joey gets admitted into this tournament, but if I lose, I forfeit my place.” The men looked at one another. “You two must have a line to Pegasus, right? Since this is his tournament, why don’t you ask him what he wants to do?”

Sunset was banking on Pegasus wanting to take any opportunity to observe her dueling. While he could likely see it thanks to his eye, there had to be a reason he went with that tape rather than just peeking into the future for it.

“Sunset…” Joey stated genuinely touched.

“Are you really sure you want to do this?” Yugi asked.

“I am.” Sunset nodded. “No matter the outcome, you shouldn’t be at a disadvantage. While I think you are trying to do the right thing, I should be the only one to risk something considering we aren’t even on the island yet.”

“What do we do?”

The first suit guy got out a cell phone. “Mr. Pegasus, we have a problem.”

Aboard the Ship: Small Room
A green-eyed teenager with long black hair in a pony tail sat within a small room aboard the ship. His attire consisted of a red and black headband, dice earring, black vest with a sleeveless red vest, and matching pants. He was currently taking a phone call.

“Hello, Dukey-boy.” Pegasus stated. “The time has come for you to fulfill your end of the bargain. Duel Ms. Shimmer, and, regardless of the result, we will begin moving forward with Dungeon Dice Monsters. Additionally, you will be permitted a place at Duelist Kingdom.”

“I understand, sir.” Duke replied. “Rest assured, I’ll give it my best.”

He had no idea why Pegasus was invested in some random duelist, and he didn’t care. In the end, all he had to do was duel this girl seriously.

“I’m glad to hear that.” Pegasus returned. “Good luck.”

“Good luck indeed.” Duke put his phone away. “In life, no matter how small, luck is an important factor. It determines a lot in life, and Duel Monsters is no different.”

At that exact moment, the door opened as the men ushered Sunset, Joey, and Yugi into the room. Yugi didn’t have to be here, but he insisted on coming to support the others.

“Alright Ms. Shimmer, Pegasus has approved your request and picked this young man to be your opponent.” The man declared. “If he defeats you, you lose your place in Duelist Kingdom. If you defeat him, Joey Wheeler will be permitted entry. Regardless of the result, Duke Devlin will become a participant of Duelist Kingdom.”

“In a way, this is a taste of what we could all expect come Duelist Kingdom.” Yugi stated.

“Well, that hasn’t been decided since you could be the only one admitted.” Duke stood. “First, we must cast the die and see where it lands. Lady Luck can be cruel or kind to whomever she likes. Of course, I should introduce myself first. Name’s Duke Devlin.”

“Well, the guy in the suit already said my name, but I’m Sunset Shimmer.” She moved over to the table, took a seat across from Duke, who retook his own seat, and put her deck on the table. “In order to secure my and my friend’s place, I will beat you.”

“We’ll just have to see.” Duke took out his own deck before also grabbing two dies and tossing one to Sunset. “To decide who goes first, let’s roll for it. Highest number has the honor.”

Sunset had caught the die. “I’m game.”

“Whoa, I didn’t think much when this guy spoke about lady luck, but maybe he really does like chance.” Joey thought before speaking up. “Alright big guy, if you think you got more luck than our friend, let’s see it.”

“You misunderstand.” Duke grinned. “I don’t think I’m luckier than anyone. I simply enjoy the thrill chance brings, but enough about that. Let’s begin with the throw of the die.” Sunset rolled a two while Duke rolled a six. “Looks like I’ll be taking the first move.”

“With that, I’ll take my leave, but this duel will be observed.” The suited man declared. “If you win, Duke has been authorized to issue two-star chips and a glove to Joey before you will be free to leave this room. If you lose, we will collect both of you to be tossed off the ship.”

With that, the man left the room while Sunset and Duke got ready. “Let’s Duel!”

(Sunset 2000/Duke 2000)

Duke drew. “I’ll summon Abare Ushioni(LV 4/1200/1200).” A red bull monster was depicted on the card. “I’ll activate his effect.” He took out a coin. “I call heads or tails and flip this coin. If I call it right, you lose one thousand life points. If I call it wrong, I lose the life points.”

“Whoa, Duke is risking a lot playing that card.” Yugi commented.

“I don’t know.” Joey grinned at that. “I think I like the sound of that card.”

Duke took note of this with an interested eye brow raise in his direction, but he chose not to comment on it.

“Alright, declare what you want and toss the coin.” Sunset stated.

“I’ll pick tails.” Duke declared before tossing the coin which landed tails side up. “Looks like Lady Luck’s swung her favor my way as you lose 1000 life points (Sunset 1000/Duke 2000). I’ll finish out my turn by setting two cards. Your move.”

“You might be down in a big way Sunset, but Yugi and I are still here.” Joey declared. “We know you can turn this around.”

“Yeah, this duel isn’t over yet.” Yugi added.

“They are right since I haven’t even had my turn yet.” Sunset drew. “I’ll summon my Elemental Hero Blazeman(LV 4/1200/1800).” A blazing hero in a black, blue, red, orange, and silver spandex was depicted on the card.

This hero has two effects; however, only one can be used per turn, so I’m forgoing his summon effect in favor of his second effect. By restricting my special summoning to only fusion monsters, I can send any Elemental Hero from my deck to the grave.

The monster I choose is Elemental Hero Cutting Bladedge(Light/2600/1800).Then, my Elemental Hero Blazeman(LV 4/Light/2600/1800 effect) takes on the sent monster’s attribute, ATK, and DEF until the end of the turn.

“Now that’s a move!” Joey exclaimed. “With this, she’ll deal major damage!”

“Maybe, but we’ll just have to see.” Duke spoke up. “Before she even gets to her Battle Phase, I activate my set Safe Zone and target Abare Ushioni. Thanks to this card, if it’s on the field, Abare Ushioni can’t be targeted or destroyed by card effect, and he can’t be destroyed by battle.”

“Even though your monster can’t be destroyed, I didn’t hear anything about you taking no damage from attacks involving it.” Sunset declared. “My Blazeman will attack your Ushioni (Sunset 1000/Duke 600). I’ll then end my turn with two face downs.”

Elemental Heroic Blazeman(LV 4/Fire/1200/1800)

“Alright, my turn!” Duke drew. “I’ll activate Abare Ushoni’s effect and declare heads this time.” He flipped the coin, but it turned out to be tails once again. “Well, looks like my luck wasn’t so kind this time.”

“Wait, does that mean he loses?” Joey asked.

“I don’t think so.” Yugi replied. “Duke still has a set card on his field, and I think it’s one that will help him out of this.”

“You’re right because I’m activating my face down Altar for Tribute.” Duke declared. “This card allows me to tribute any one monster I control and gain life points equal to the original ATK. I’ll tribute my Abare Ushioni, and thanks to the chain of effects, I’m still in this.”

(Sunset 1000/Duke 600-1800-800)

“Eh, hold on a second.” Joey stated. “I thought Safe Zone’s effect prevented his monster from going to the grave.”

“Not quite Joey.” Yugi informed. “It’s all in the card text and how that can make a world of difference. Altar for Tribute uses the words ‘select’ and ‘send’ rather than ‘target’ and ‘destroy’. Duke essentially set up his field perfectly for quite a few negative scenarios.”

“Just because I believe in Lady Luck doesn’t mean I solely rely on her.” Duke declared. “That’s where almost every trap I put in my deck comes in handy. When she bites back a little too hard, I can potentially mitigate the damage.”

“I wasn’t quite sure what to make of your skills Duke, but you’re certainly a skilled duelist from what I’m seeing now.” Sunset commented genuinely.

“Well, you aren’t half bad yourself Sunset, but we are still in the middle of a duel.” Duke returned. “On that note, I think it’s time I bring out one of my best. I summon Orgoth the Relentless(LV 7/2500/2450).” A purple armored warrior was depicted on the card.

“Once per turn, he lets me roll three dies.” Duke brought out two more dies. “The result will increase his ATK/DEF by 100 x that total until the end of your next turn, so let’s roll them!” He tossed all three dies getting 5, 3, and 3. “That’s 1100 more ATK.”

“I won’t let you have that because I’m activating my first face down Breakthrough Skill.” Sunset countered. “This card allows me to target one effect monster you control and negate their effects until the end of the turn. You only have Orgoth.”

“What a shame considering he had a second effect I could have used.” Duke smiled. “Still, he’s strong enough to finish this by destroying your Blazeman.”

“Unless she can defend against this attack, Sunset and I can kiss our chances of entering Duelist Kingdom goodbye.” Joey declared.

“Don’t worry Joey because my second face down is Hero Spirit.” Sunset declared as she sent Blazeman to the grave. “This trap can only activate during the Battle Phase and when an Elemental Hero is destroyed. Thanks to that, I can reduce battle damage from 1 battle to 0.”

“For someone virtually unknown to the dueling world, her skills are quite impressive. I can see why she got a place in Pegasus’ tournament.” Duke smiled. “Well, I have nothing left to do but set one card.”

“My move!” Sunset drew.

“I activate my face down Wind Dartz.” Duke declared. “This card, like Orgoth, let’s me roll three dies; however, this time you will take 100 life points of damage x the combined number rolled.” Duke picked up the die and rolled them getting 6, 6, and 1. “13 equals 1300 life points.”

“That’s 300 more than Sunset has!” Joey exclaimed worriedly. “This time she doesn’t have any set cards.”

“Don’t worry Joey.” Sunset smiled. “As Yugi has proven, there’s more ways than set cards to protect yourself.” She discarded a card. “I activate the first effect of Elemental Hero Crashing Clayman. By simply sending him to the grave and halving my life points, I take no more damage this turn (Sunset 500/Duke 800).”

“Well, that’s one way to protect yourself.” Yugi commented with a smile.

“Now, I’ll summon my Elemental Hero Bubbleman(LV 4/800/1200).” A hero in blue armor was depicted on the card. “When this card is summoned in anyway, and he’s the only card I control, I can draw 2 cards. I just drew a favorite of mine in Polymerization.

I’ll use it to combine Bubbleman with Gusting Avian which always acts as Avian. Fusion summon Elemental Hero Mariner(LV 5/1400/1000).” A light blue skinned hero with anchors wrapped around his arms was depicted on the card.

“Well, fusion seems to be a specialty of yours if a fusion card is one of your favorites, but the end result doesn’t seem as impressive as your other plays.” Duke commented genuinely confused.

“Oh, my extra deck has plenty of power to it; however, it mostly lies in their effects.” Sunset took a card and set it in her spell/trap zone. “For instance, Mainer’s effect activates only when I have a card set in my spell/trap zone. Thanks to that, he can attack you directly for game.”

“What?” Duke was shocked. “I have nothing to counter that.”

(Sunset 500/Duke 0)

Joey grinned. “Heh, I never doubted her for a second.”

“That’s not the impression I got.” Yugi returned.

“Well, what does it matter?” Joey chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of his head. “The important thing is she won.”

“That she did.” Duke got over his shock and nodded. “Not bad.” He stood up, brought out a case, and opened it revealing a glove and two star chips. “Per the stakes, Joey Wheeler is permitted to enter Duelist Kingdom.” He then set a small stack of cards on top of it. “Consider this a gift.

You seem like someone who could embrace luck like I do.” Joey grinned and rushed forward to marvel at what Sunset got him while the chance duelist walked over to the hero duelist. “Sunset, I’ll be keeping an eye out for you.” He winked at her. “Hopefully, you’ll do the same for me.”

The way he spoke was not lost on Sunset, but she had no clue how to feel about it. Despite how far she’s come since meeting Yugi’s group, there were still feelings she was working out about Canterlot High. That wasn’t even accounting for how her last relationship ended.

“We’ll see.” Sunset returned.

“I suppose that’s all one could ask for.” Duke put his hands in his pockets and strolled on out. “Anyways, hopefully my eye will catch sight of you again.”

Ship Deck
After Sunset’s victory, she, Yugi, and Joey ended up standing together on the ship deck as it sailed out of Domino City.

“I’m glad there was a way to have you aboard Joey.” Yugi commented.

“It’s only ‘cause Sunset was willing to put her place in this on the line for me.” Joey stated. “It’s not like I don’t know you intended to sacrifice one of your star chips Yugi.”

A fair-skinned woman with purple eyes and long blonde hair ended up walking near them at just the right moment to overhear Joey. She wore a short-sleeved purple coat over a white tube top, exposing her midriff, black socks, and purple high-heeled boots.

“Oh, what do we have here?” The woman questioned getting their attention.

Joey blushed. “Wow…”

“So, you’re that Yugi kid everyone’s talking about.” Mai approached the guy in question. “I’m surprised a squirt like you could beat Kaiba. You’re famous, you know?”

“Oh, thanks very much… I think.” Yugi stated not quite getting it.

Sunset was beginning to understand what this woman was doing, and she didn’t like it.

“Hey miss.” Joey was even more clueless than Yugi. “I’m a good friend of the master duelist, Yugi. In fact…”

“Look.” The woman interrupted sternly. “You’re either a champ or a chump. If I were you, I’d cut the dead weight. The guy is outright fashion challenged, and this girl is really trying for that attention with the whole punk look.”

“Please, you’re one to talk about trying for attention.” Sunset crossed her arms. “Maybe you should try looking in a mirror before you comment on what other people wear.”

“Ah!” The woman exclaimed offended. “I’m only trying to help…”

“Yugi doesn’t need any help you’re offering.” Sunset rolled her eyes. “You said it yourself that he beat Kaiba. Considering he was the best at the game, what could you offer?”

“Hm, I don’t need to stand here and take this from you.” The woman walked off. “I’ll plan on crushing all of you eventually, but you just went to the top of the list, hun.” She looked back at them. “The name’s Mai Valentine.” She kept walking. “I suggest you remember it.”

Joey was still blushing. “I hope she crushes me.”

“Joey.” Sunset merely sighed. “I swear if you lose to her on purpose, I don’t know what I’ll do.”

She walked off which snapped Joey out of his thoughts. “Oh, come on Sunset!” He followed her. “I’m not fixing to lose to anyone on purpose!”

“I’ll believe that when I actually see it.” Sunset retorted.

Yugi just chuckled before following them.

Contestant Bunking: Evening…
Joey, Sunset, and Yugi were directed to a room where many duelist could rest until they reached Duelist Kingdom in the morning.

This didn’t sit right with Joey who immediately confronted a suited man. “Eh, is this a joke or what? This is a luxury cruiser. I know you got better rooms somewhere.”

“You again!”

Another man entered, and both began trying to restrain Joey.

“You didn’t even get in on your own merit, yet you want to cause trouble.”

“Yeah, do you want to get thrown out of here?”

At that moment, Weevil Underwood and Rex Raptor entered the room.

“Hey, aren’t you that kid, Yugi?” Weevil asked.

“Whoa, look at this Yugi and Sunset.” Joey commented amazed. “It’s Rex and Weevil.”

“Heh, you’re wasting your time with those guys.” Rex nodded to the suits. “Rooms only go to big time finalists of tournaments from the last year, like us.”

Yugi approached them. “Congratulations on winning that last tournament Weevil.”

“It was nothing.” Weevil stated.

“I merely went easy on him.” Rex added.

“Yeah, well this time Yugi, Sunset, and I are going to take the tournament.” Joey declared as he broke away from the suits. “Right guys?”

“To tell you the truth, winning the last tournament felt empty.” Weevil looked at Yugi. “I don’t think I can really consider myself the champion until I beat the guy who defeated Kaiba. Hey, I’m certain I’ll battle you in the tournament, Yugi. Frankly, I’m looking forward to it.”

Sunset was starting to get a bad feeling from Weevil. It wasn’t anything like she got from Pegasus, but something clearly wasn’t quite right here.

“Sorry for intruding, but I couldn’t help overhearing your conversation.” Another male voice responded as he entered the room. “Honestly, I wouldn’t mind getting a shot a Kaiba or the guy who beat him either.”

A young man with two toned, short blue hair and light blue eyes had entered the room. He wore navy blue jeans, a light blue short sleeved shirt, and a purple button up shirt over that with the sleeves rolled up to his elbow. A duffel bag was slung over his right arm.

“Aren’t you the current U.S dueling champion, Shining Armor?” Sunset asked.

“Well, that is the tittle I was given, but that last duel with Rebecca Hawkins could have gone either way.” Shining smiled. “Honestly, I haven’t seen her or Seto Kaiba here, and they were some of the duelists I was hoping to have another or my first go at.”

“Well, maybe you’ll still see them.” Yugi voiced. “I can’t imagine every competitor is on this ship.”

“That’s a good point.” Weevil admitted before looking to the U.S. champion. “From what I’ve heard, this boat wasn’t the only one, so what is a duelist from America doing here?”

“Whenever I travel, I like to get a souvenir for my girlfriend back home.” Shining replied. “Thing is, Duelist Kingdom is going to be on an island, so there wouldn’t be much of an opportunity to get something there.

Fortunately, I had prize money and figured something from another country would suffice. Considering I’ve always wanted to see Japan, it was a no brainer. I got a ticket and spent the last week relaxing before today.”

“Heh, seems like a week of relaxing means you won’t be much of a challenge.” Rex walked off. “Come to think of it, none of you seem like much of a threat, so you’d do better to stay out of my way. If I see you on the island, I’ll merely stomp you into the ground.”

“We’ll see who stomps who when we get to the island.” Joey declared noticeably frustrated.

“Oh, what’s the matter Joey?” Sunset gave a knowing smirk. “Don’t want him to stomp you like you want that Mai girl to crush you?”

“Sunset, that’s not the same thing!” Joey yelled.

“Oh, I know.” Sunset looked away from him. “Good to hear you say it though.”

“Honestly, you should just ignore him and instead scope out the competition.” Weevil voiced.

“What do you mean?” Joey asked.

“Just look at all the chumps around you.” Weevil replied referring to those with cards out. “They’re all trading which gives us the best chance to feel out potential opponents.”

The sound of trading certainly enticed Joey who began moving around to trade some cards himself.

“Guess Joey’s trading.” Yugi commented.

“If you’ve come all this way, and you’re still trying to improve your deck, you’ve got to be pretty desperate.” Weevil stated.

“I don’t know.” Shining studied Joey interested. “You may see it a desperation, but to me there’s nothing wrong with improving your deck no matter the time.”

“We’ll see.” Weevil walked away. “Regardless, I’ll catch you and Yugi on the flip side.”

“Heh, I should get going as well.” Shining stated before leaving himself. “Catch you all later.”

Author's Note:

When it came to this chapter, I went through ideas of who Sunset would face on this ship for Joey's right to compete. Ultimately, I settled on Duke Devlin for a few reasons. Firstly, he idolizes Pegasus, so getting him to do this wouldn't be a problem.

Secondly, in hindsight, we know Duke would want to promote Dungeon Dice Monsters, so what's the best, potential way to do that? Winning a big tournament. Thirdly, there are so many chance-based cards these days.

Weather you believe me or not, every coin flip and die roll this chapter was done by me. Honestly, I have Joey to be my guy to give all the best luck to, so it's kind of fun to have a duelist who's truly chance based.

Yeah, I decided to include Shining Armor here, and he won't be the only character from the Equestria Girls/MLP series to make an appearance on this island. I could have just put Rebecca here, but she didn't show up for Duelist Kingdom anyways.

In all honestly, I didn't want to transfer any more Yugi character who appeared later to this current part of the story. Hey, I don't just want to keep every MLP/Equestria Girls character sectioned off from feeling as though they inhabit this world to.

Note: Tristan, Tea, and Bakura are still here, but their parts wouldn't change much to warrant mentioning them. This is broken into two parts because I know I can get out another part with what I'm planning for the rest of this journey to Duelist Kingdom.

PreviousChapters Next