• Published 13th Jul 2022
  • 282 Views, 15 Comments

Harmonic Tree - Shadow Watcher

  • ...
 15
 282

Chapter 4

Finally, she had made it to her current goal! The base of the mountain. Yet a small fort held the gate up to Canterlot, and the gate was shut fast. A few soldiers patrolled the upper walls (she was certain there were more within).

She sat at a site of Harmony some distance off. She could see them; she was certain they could see her (if they even bothered to look at a Shunned). The only time they took any notice was when she got too close. Somepony had fired a bolt at her. Not directly at her, but a warning shot in her direction.

She idly tapped a hoof on the ground. She could try to force her way through the gate, fighting off or incapacitating the guards, but… there was no light guiding her towards the castle directly. Just a faint aura around the crystalline sapling, as though it couldn’t focus…

Curiously, she stuck her horn into the aura, bathing the Prism in its light. A flash nearly blinded her, before it split into three beams: two small and a large. The smaller ones pointed north and south, both towards the castle and probably the small settlement just south of the mountain, near the Everfree Forest. Where what remained of the stump of the Tree of Harmony lay.

But the third pulsed bright and strong, pointing to the west. It’s was rather intriguing, in a way. There currently wasn’t any way into Canterlot, and she certainly wasn’t willing to go near the Everfree just yet (least her instinct kept pushing her from that idea). Here was a clear beacon from the Prism pointing down the western path.

She gave out a small sigh and pulled her horn out of the harmonic aura. Once the Prism left the aura, the beams winked back out of existence. Well, at least she learned a new way to use the Prism, as the Pink Witch had said. Which was another curious thing. Who exactly was the Pink Witch? She seemed to know a lot about what was going on, yet Sunset had barely gotten a word in edgwise. Further, the mare had basically said that while she knew a lot, she wouldn’t be telling Sunset anything.

She shook her mane and stood; she could do her thinking while walking. Directly west of Mount Canterhorn lay the Smokey Mountains, with the Whitetail Woods being just south of them.


Sounds of conflict quickened her hooves. Ahead, a lone pony was fighting against three smaller shadow ponies.

She burst into a full gallop, horn charging, after a particular heavy blow the pony took, stunning them. Without hesitation, she unleashed a full burst of Arcane Bolts, throwing the second would-be-attacker from the prone pony.

The third shadow immediately shifted its attention to her, shadow tendrils swirling angrily.
It lashed forward; Sunset ducked down, horn already aglow.

She unleashed her Shine spell once more, only for the Prism to suddenly flare alongside it. The sudden brilliance sent her tumbling. The first shadow managed to strike her flank as it disintegrated. She could only lay there, panting, bleeding, as she regained her bearings.

With a shaky hoof, she reached into her pouch and pulled out the crimson flask. It tasted like strawberries; her flank stung a bit as flesh knit back together.

“Extraordinary!” A voice said from nearby. The pony she’d helped stood a bit away, watching as her wounds healed themselves. “I’ve of course witnessed the works of healing potions before, yet never have I witnessed one of such efficiency!”

Sunset sat up slowly, taking a moment to observe her new acquaintance: a grey furred stallion, a bit on the small side. Oddly, his mane and tail were completely clean of hair, only covered with his grey fur. “It was given me from the Pink Witch.”

The stallion’s eyes widened. “Marvelous! I have heard of her, of course. She comes and goes as she will, always working towards some unknowable goal. Yet her works always are a thing of marvel! Such quality, ingenuity. Always furthering Harmony by interesting means. For a Shunned such as you, it’s fitting that she should meet with you.” The stallion rambled. “Ah, but where are my manners?! I am Styx, a humble scholar in service to Sunburst the All-Knowing.” He looked her up and down. “Though, I don’t recall ever seeing you at the Table of Harmony.”

“I wouldn’t think you have, seeing as I’ve only just returned to Equestria. For that matter, I’ve not been to the Table of Harmony, though I’ve heard stories.” Sunset answered. “Where is it located?”

Styx stared at her for a moment. “Only just returned to Equestria, you say? Interesting. Quite interesting.” He tapped his chin with a hoof. “In order to be welcomed to the Hold of Frienship, you’d need an invitation from one it’s keepers. Sunburst, of course, is unanimously considered the head of the Hold, so a word from him would get anyone in. Unfortunately, I am but one of his many scholars out in the wider world. As such, I cannot grant you interest, but when I return to turn in my next report, I will gladly give reference to you. The Hold would welcome you gladly, and the Table is in need of good Shunned such as you…” His voice trailed off as his eyes focused on her horn. “Well now! What’s this little bobble?”

Sunset’s eyes nearly crossed as she glanced up at her horn. “I’m not entirely certain myself, but the Pink Witch called it the Harmonic Prism.”

Styx tilted his head in thought. “The Harmonic Prism…I wonder…” He looked at her horn again, leaning forward a bit but not so close as to make Sunset uncomfortable. “Perhaps Sunburst has heard of it. I may have to ask when I submit my findings.”

Sunset tapped a hoof on the ground a few times. “Do you know of anything of note to the west?”

Styx paused. “Only the Smokey Mountains and Tall Tale beyond. To the north, there are the ruins of Vanhoover. Beyond the mountains, lies the north and south Lunar Oceans. Sire’s Hollow lays between them on a land bridge. Perhaps one of the Pillars fled to that region, after the Shattering. Perhaps Sombabula or Mage Meadowbrook. They both fled into the aether when war broke out between the other Pillars. Flash Magnus would’ve chased after, had Mistmane not taken advantage to decimate the majority of his forces. Now he’s fortified up in Cloudsdale, having consolidated his forces. S’why you won’t see too many pegasi down here on the ground.” He stood. “I must be going now; my thanks for the rescue! Without your aid, I very much worry I’d have been more scuffed up. I’ll be sure to give word of you to Sunburst.”

Sunset watched him head down the road.


As Sunset approached the site of Harmony, near a small crossroads, pink butterflies clouded her vision. Once they cleared, the mare from before stood before her.

The mare reached up with a hoof and pulled down the hood of her cloak. A mane of light pink spilled down her shoulder; her fur a buttercream yellow. “You have come, Sunset Shimmer, as I hoped you would. I am Fluttershy, the Element of Kindness. And I would like to offer you an accord.”

Comments ( 1 )

Well, when you get a Fluttershy that acts like that you get an idea of how Alternate this Universe is

Login or register to comment