• Published 13th Jul 2022
  • 281 Views, 15 Comments

Harmonic Tree - Shadow Watcher

  • ...
 15
 281

Chapter 1

Harmonic Tree




The fallen leaves tell a story.

The great Tree of Harmony was shattered, in Equestria. Across the sea. The Land of Harmony.

Now the Princesses of Day and Night are nowhere to be found.

On the Blackest Eve, Cadence, the Princess of Love, was the first to perish.

Soon the Princesses Pillars, champions all, claimed the shards of the Tree of Harmony.

The mad taint of their newfound power triggered the Shattering, a war from which no Bearers emerged.

War leading to the abandonment of Harmony.

Arise now, ye Shunned! You ignored who still strive towards Friendship.

Chrysalis, Queen of the Badlands.

The ever brilliant Starlight.

Ditzy Doo, the Forlorn Mother.

The Foresworn Knight.

And Sunburst, the All-Knowing Scholar.

And one other, whom grace would again bless. A Shunned of no renown.

Cross the sea, to the Land of Harmony, to stand before the Harmonic Tree.



She awoke in a small, dimly lit chapel, the air thick with the smell of salt, seaweed, and fish. Her stomach churned, unable to distinguish between hunger and nausea.

After weeks of sailing, the small vessel she had used finally gave up the ghost, sinking just off the coast. And forcing her to swim to shore.

Now, after years of aimless wandering, she once again stood upon the land of her birth. Equestria. The Land of Harmony.

She barely made it out the door before the last remaining contents of her stomach vacated her person. Once done, and having cleaned herself, she sat upon the shore, gazing inland.

To the west, she could just make out Mount Canterhorn; a glint could be made out that could only be the towers of Canterlot Castle. The mountain towered over most of the landscape, and given the smaller mountain range a little to the north, she’d swam ashore between the two ports of Fillydelphia and Baltimare. Looking to the north showed she was closer to the city of Fillydelphia. Or the ruins, at least.

She glanced back towards the larger mountain, then back towards the city. Finally, she adjusted her cloak and robes (thankful she had managed to save at least some of her gear when the boat went down) before turning towards Canterlot. And the village that bordered the forest that led to her goal.

The lone unicorn left the beach behind, but she was not unobserved. Two figures sat on the dunes. Watching. Assessing. Evaluating. One was armored, with slots for her wings, a long spear held in the crook of a forehoof. A full helmet sat on their head, visor down and covering their face.

They turned to their companion. “Are you certain that this is the one? She doesn’t seem like much.”

“I’m certain.” The figure said back, their dark cloak covering them from muzzle to tail. “She has been away for quite a long time, yet now her hooves tread familiar paths once more.”

A clank of metal signaled the rising of the armored pegasus. “Then I suppose you’ll have my support. Provided she doesn’t get in my way.”

“I am sure that she won’t. In fact, I hope for the opposite. That she will be the one to bring an end to it all.”

“Well, even if she doesn’t, it isn’t like things will change any worse. I’m heading for the city for now. I need to follow up on rumor.”

“We all do as we must.” The cloaked pony replied. “May Harmony guide your hooves.” They dissolved into pink butterflies and were gone.

The armored pegasus stood there a while longer, gaze locked on the unicorn. Her mane was a mix of red and yellow, reminiscent of fire. Her coat was golden in hue. The pegasus tightened their grip on their spear. “Will you be our salvation, Sunset Shimmer? Will you be my ally? I suppose only time will tell.” With a flap of their wings, they were airborne and headed towards Fillydelphia.


It had been an hour since she had found the broken the road. Twice she had tripped over the uneven cobblestone and rubble, and every second that passed greatened a sense of unease within her.

Her steps were slow; her hoofsteps quiet. A stillness clung to the world like a blanket, and she couldn’t help but keep from yanking it off.

She paused, flicking an ear. She twitched her ears in various directions, before focusing on her right. There. A light tinkling sound. Like the softest of chimes. A flow of prismatic beams pointed to a small area a ways off the road. She scuffed her hoof on the road a couple times before shaking her hooded head and trotted off.

The rainbow hued streams led her to small, crystalline sapling, around which they swirled. A peaceful aura emanated from it. She reached out a hoof and gently tapped against the crystal. With a burst of multi-colored light, the sapling began glowing, sending forth the beams from earlier into a single stream now pointing towards the base of the mountain.

She sat there for a while, staring at the tree and beam of light, pondering its possible meaning. She had heard of this. Long ago. Other Shunned had talked of it. The guidance of Harmony. Over time, they had spoken of it less and less. Until one day she had awakened. Felt a pull…no. A call. A call to “Come Home.”

She looked down at her covered hooves. No fur visible, no locks of mane or tail hung loose. She stood and walked back to the road. Without hesitation, she turned and began trotting towards the mountain, and Canterlot. Following the guidance of Harmony.

Her hoofsteps slowed as a sound once more reached her ears. Instead of the tinkling chimes sound of Harmonic energies, quiet, slow hoofsteps echoed to her. Movement ahead.

Sunset slowed her steps, moving off the road a ways. A small herd of ponies shuffled down the way, rising over a small dip ahead. Their coats were dull, nearly devoid of all color.

Something pulled at her from within: two voices. A loud, firm voice that said “Kill them. Their weakness will be your strength!” But a softer, quieter voice spoke, “Look at them, poor souls. Leave them be. Lead them in Harmony.”

She closed her eyes and turned away.

A force slammed into her, flattening her where she sat.