• Published 24th Jun 2022
  • 1,255 Views, 18 Comments

Master Chief: Displaced Equestrian Soldier - Infinity Eternity



A human is kidnapped, and awakens in the world of Equus as the Master Chief, just as a vengeful evil emerges from the shadows. Will Master Chief cooperate with the Ponies or will Equestria fall?

  • ...
1
 18
 1,255

Prologue: Missing In Action... WARNING: UNDERGOING REWRITE

San Diego Comic-Con International.
A dream for any gamer or pop-culture enthusiast, and the perfect place to buy amazing gear from any number of franchises. Also, the perfect place to show off my brand new cosplay outfit. I loved Halo, and while some of the games had left something to be desired, I had always remained a steadfast fan. My favourite character was always, who else, Master Chief.

My outfit was expertly designed and looked just like the real deal. It hadn't been cheap, but it was worth it, the people at buyfullbodyarmours.com crafting a perfect replica of the Mark VI Armour Suit. They had also designed a replica of the ARC920 railgun which I had also purchased, as it made the already impressive outfit even cooler.

It had taken me 3 hours to drive here but that didn't matter to me in the slightest. What mattered was that I was here now. I accepted my ID card from the front entrance and walked in. I glanced down at my ID card, noting the information on it. The card had my name, Magnus Orion, and also had my age, my gender, my DOB, and a picture of me.

I happily wandered the convention, occasionally stopping because something had caught my eye or because some people wanted a picture with me. I was secretly giddy at the number of people who wanted a picture with me, telling me that buying this suit was a good idea. I was inspecting a stall that sold Overwatch merch (still not having brought anything), when a voice called my name, well, Master Chief's name.

"Hey there! You, in the Master Chief suit!"

I spun around to see a man dressed in a very peculiar costume, wearing what appeared to be robes and armour that were decorated with a galactic design. He had a hood pulled over his face, so I couldn't identify him, and he had a prop sword in a holster on his back. He beckoned to me from a stall that I swore hadn't been there a second ago.

"Come on over here! I have something I think you'll be interested in!"

I tromped over to his stall, taking stock of the impressive amount of merchandise for sale. He had everything from Marvel comics to DC artwork, Star Wars Lego to Star Trek action figures. There was even some My Little Pony merch, which ignited the inner brony that I had lurking within my mind, but I quickly buried that particular part of my mind. My eyes glanced back to the vendor and I deduced that he seemed a little shady, but he had good gear for sale, I still had all my money, and I had learned not to judge a book by its cover. I figured I might as well see what he wanted. He coughed quietly at me, causing me to lift my head in his direction.

"Yes?" I asked, wondering what he was willing to offer.

He simply smiled at me and commented:
"Nice suit."

I nodded and looked over his wares. He chuckled,
"Ah, a man of few words I see. You and Master Chief seem very much alike." He bent down to pick up something from under his table, before placing it before me and looking up at me again. "What do you think of this then?"

My eyes widened at what lay before me. A remarkably accurate replica of Cortana's chip, and a dog tag with Master Chief's name, rank, and the insignia of the UNSC inscribed on it, both items hanging off a chain. I immediately wanted them, as I was always looking to expand my collection of Halo merchandise, and they looked amazing. I snapped my head up to look him in the eyes.

"How much?"

He seemed to think for a minute before responding with:
"Well your suit looks pretty good, so I'm betting it wasn't cheap. Besides, I'm feeling generous today, sssooooo...five bucks."

"Bullshit," I stared at him in disbelief. "There's no way you're selling stuff this high quality for only five bucks, even with a discount."

He shrugged, before replying,
"It's the truth"

I looked down at the items in thought. They would add a nice little detail to my armour, and they were cheap. But I was a bit suspicious of the man. No sane man would be selling items this well crafted for only ten bucks. It made no sense.

Suddenly I recalled the displaced stories I used to read on Fimfiction: stories of people being sent to Equestria as different cosplay characters, after buying cheap, accurate replicas of gear and equipment from pop culture. They were sent by mysterious vendors that appeared out of nowhere, often described as being dressed as The Merchant from Resident Evil 4. As soon as the thought popped into my head I dismissed it. After all, they were just stories and this was real life. Plus this guy wasn't dressed up as the Merchant. Still, there had to be some kind of catch.

"What's the catch?" I queried, while the man regarded me with a smirk.

"No catch," he assured me, still smirking. "Do you want them, or not?"

Still slightly suspicious, I fished five bucks out of my wallet and forked it over. I figured the gear was worth buying, even if I was still suspicious. The displaced thought lingered at the edge of my mind but I ignored it.

I picked up both items in my hands, having to set my railgun down on the table to do so. I grinned beneath my helmet, as I looked them over more closely. On a whim I disconnected the chain and reached behind my head to drape the chain over my head, wearing the tag and chip against my chest. I smiled again beneath my helmet as I admired the additional detail, before reaching down to grab my railgun. But as I did so my vision went fuzzy and a light ringing noise echoed in my head.

I stumbled away from the table before dropping to my knees, my head feeling like someone had taken a jackhammer to it. The edges of my vision went black, and it took considerable effort to focus on what was in front of me. Somehow the man had made it around the table without my notice. He crouched down and leaned forward to look me in the eyes before smiling sympathetically and speaking.

"Sorry to do this to you buddy, but I don't have much of a choice." He pulled an odd-looking coin from a hidden pocket on his person and flicked it into the air. "See, I got a big and complicated plan in the works, and unfortunately for you, you're an important part of it." As he spoke, my eyesight was wavering, and the man was shifting in and out of focus. "Hopefully, you'll forgive me in time. I mean, you get to be a part of something much larger than yourself, with the chance to save lives! And end some..." He muttered the last part under his breath, but I still heard him. He slowly stood up, tossing the coin one last time into the air, before catching it in his hand. "Anyways, good luck, have fun, and try not to kill too many ponies."

He smiled one more time, and by now my vision had narrowed to him, and him alone. However, from my position on the floor, I could finally see his face. I concentrated and focused on him, but I froze up when I saw his eyes. They were total opposites, one a blinding white like a supernova, and the other an empty pitch black like a black hole. They drew me in, hypnotising me, and swallowing all light, giving me a sense of vertigo. And as the darkness finally overtook me, I could only think one thing: I should have trusted my instincts.

And then everything faded to black.


All was quiet in the town of Ponyville, everypony asleep for the night. The only being in town currently awake resided within the Castle Of Friendship, as a certain alicorn enjoyed a little nighttime reading.

Twilight had been reading this book for the past three nights and was still only halfway through. She knew she should be getting some rest but she was just too absorbed in this new copy of "Ancient Equestrian Architecture: Volume 26." She oohed at the designs on each page, jotting down notes in one of many notebooks beside her on her bed. So preoccupied was she, that she didn't notice the other occupant of the castle until he was right next to her. Twilight startled at seeing Spike right next to her bed, wearily rubbing his eyes and yawning.

"Oh! Spike! I didn't realize you were still up."

Spike sighed tiredly. "I wasn't Twi, but I figured you would be, and I wanted to make sure you actually went to sleep tonight."

"That's sweet Spike, but I can take care of myself." Twilight smiled at her faithful dragon companion.

Spike raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "Twilight, the last three nights in a row, I came to wake you up for breakfast and found you STILL reading. You haven't gotten a wink of sleep, and now I'm putting my foot down. YOU. NEED. REST. Even the Princess of Friendship needs to catch some z's every once in a while."

"But..." Twilight tried to protest, before yawning loudly. She sighed. "Alright, I admit I need some sleep. Thanks, Spike." She smiled at Spike again, while igniting her horn and levitating her book and all her notes off her bed and onto the desk against the wall. She snuggled down under the covers and turned out the lamp with a spark of magic. Spike yawned and headed for the door, while Twilight finished a last-minute tidy-up.

"G'night, Twi." Spike yawned again.

"Goodnight, Spike" Twilight called, as Spike shut the door and walked off down the hall. She waited until she couldn't hear his footsteps, before levitating her book back to her bed. "Just a few more pages..." She promised herself, before diving back into the book.

Had Twilight not been so engrossed in her book, she might have been the only pony awake in Ponyville to notice the bright white light emanating from within the Everfree forest.

Had she seen this light she may have been compelled to investigate, and would have tracked the source to the ruins of The Castle Of The Two Sisters.

Had she been quick enough she may have been lucky enough to witness the arrival of a creature never before seen in Equestria.

A hulking bipedal creature, clad in bulky green armour, with a large golden visor, lying unconscious on the ground. If any pony had laid their eyes on this creature, they would have been filled with an overwhelming sense of fear and terror. Because this creature was one of war and destruction, one with power beyond anything Equus had ever seen. And one that could very well spell their doom, and destroy them all.

As he slumbered, a certain mysterious man watched from beyond the physical plane. He smiled with relief at the safe arrival, before turning away from that reality-window to view the countless others within his realm.

"Godspeed, Master Chief..."He muttered to himself, as he continued onward to the next window. "I can only hope that you fulfill your new purpose, and become the hero you are destined to be..."

Because whatever happened next, was out of his hands, and it was up to the Master Chief to forge his own path.

In this new world of...Equestria.

Author's Note:

Finally posted this, I started it in February.

This is my first time writing any sort of fanfiction, and I didn't even use the writing guide.

Please comment with any errors I missed or any improvements I could make, I will happily accept critical feedback, and adjust my writing going forward.

FYI the website 'buyfullbodyarmours.com' is a real website. They make incredible cosplay outfits, and the Master Chief suit is really on there. They also have a number of Iron Man suits, and even an armoured Batsuit. If you're looking for an awesome outfit give them a lookup.

P.S. next chapter we're jumping straight into violence and murder.

P.P.S. any mistakes pointed out in this chapter will be rectified.

Comments ( 18 )

It's been awhile since I've read a Halo displaced store but it's looking good so far keep up the good work

Captain Keyes

This is interesting so far. However, there's two things you should keep in mind.

First of all, always start a new paragraph whenever a different character starts speaking. The entire conversation between Twilight and Spike was all one paragraph, making it confusing on who was speaking.

Second of all, like with dialogue, start a new paragraph when talking about a different subject matter.

For example, in the paragraph where the MC talks about finding the vendor suspicious and then the Fimfiction displaced stories, I suggest you make those into two seperate paragraphs. Doing so would make your parageaphs have a nice flow to them.

Anyways, good luck, try not to stress yourself, and have fun.

Had Twilight not been so engrossed in her book, she might have been the only pony awake in Ponyville to notice the bright white light emanating from within the Everfree forest. Had she seen this light she may have been compelled to investigate, and would have tracked the source to the ruins of The Castle Of The Two Sisters. Had she been quick enough she may have been lucky enough to witness the arrival of a creature never before seen in Equestria. A hulking bipedal, clad in bulky green armour, with a large golden visor, currently unconscious on the ground. If any pony had laid their eyes on this creature, they would have been filled with an overwhelming sense of fear and terror. Because this creature was one of war and destruction, one with power beyond anything Equus had ever seen. And one that could very well spell their doom, and destroy them all. As he slumbered, a certain mysterious man watched from beyond the physical plane. He smiled with relief, before turning away from that reality to view the countless others within his realm. "One down, eight to go..."He muttered to himself, before heading off to put the rest of his plan into motion. Because whatever happened next, was up to Master Chief.

Geez, overreacting much?

11280505
Thanks for the input, as I said this is my first time writing fanfiction and I appreciate the honesty. However, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a constantly updating story, since I'm normally busy with school, so odds are this story won't be updated too regularly. But I am hoping to get the next chapter out soon, since I know exactly what I want to put in it, and I already have the ending good to go, even if it may change. Again thanks for your advice.

I like the story I think it's good

First time writing a Displaced, eh? word of advice for future chapters: don't cross over nor summon other displaced until after the story has progressed, the character has gained some growth, and the world has been built. And if you do decided to do one, be caution as it can make or break the story. Too many writers often make the mistake of doing too many cross-overs, or said cross-over holds no importance.

11281007
Good point, but this story is only going to focus around Master Chief and the Equestrians, so no other displaced will appear in this story (unless I change my mind further along). I am however, planning a crossover between this story and a few others I have planned, some of which will be more displaced characters, so I'll use your advice later on while writing those stories. Thanks for the feedback!

Hope to see more soon

I liked your first Chapter so far and am interested in how this story will progress.
What I am really afraid of is how Master Chief has

the ability to summon forth any known weapon from any of the games, including vehicles and other items, like medical equipment, tools, and supplies.

This sounds extremely OP to me and could result in some extreme Power creep problems.
I am not sure if this a vital part of the story or not as you hinted that you already have some events you want to happen and an idea for an ending. If this ability to summon any Halo related weaponry is not vital I would try to scale it back a bit. Otherwise it could be hard to put you MC in tough spots as he could just summon a covenant energy sword or a pelican to get out of dodge. To be fair the Master Chief already is extremely strong by design and is hard to put in a tough spot.

If you want him to have those vehicles maybe make it a one time summon so he does not have a get out of jail free card. Or you could limit his summoning vehicles to only a Warthog or something along those lines.

For weapons I have similar concerns, if he can summon anything at any time his enemies would have to be extremely powerful with countermeasures to his weapons or with an ability to suppress his summoning powers which would introduce new problems, like what is the in world explanation for the suppression effect and how does the MC summon in the first place.

Again I would recommend to limit that ability, maybe he has a set few weapons he can summon from something like a small dimensional pocket or a bag of holding etc. Or just give him some weapons with infinite ammo and not have him summon weapons at all. Let him wake up and find some weapons around him as like a starting gift from the merchant or something like this. If you want more later on let Cortana have blueprints and let Twilight or someone the MC trusts in the story build them with magic. This would limit him somewhat.
Or let the weapons have limited ammo so he cant just use them for everything and has to consider what weapon is best for the current situation. Later on he could use magic to make more ammo or have his summoning slowly give him ammo over time like a cooldown.

Then again maybe you have already thought about all this and have scaled the future enemies and problems accordingly or introduced limits yourself, if that is the case you can mostly disregarded my concerns. I just wanted to draw your attention to something I believe could be a huge headache later on in the story. Since this is only in the description and not yet part of the published story I hope I could draw your attention to something that if need be can still be changed without extensive editing.

Anyway have fun writing :twilightsmile:

PS: Maybe you fully intent for MC to be extremely op, if so that ability would be fun and could really enhance the power fantasy and make some good comedy.

11282822
Thanks for the advice, if I'm being honest, I was still figuring out the whole "weapon summoning" power. After I read your comment I actually brainstormed some ideas. Such as, requiring cortana to summon weapons-therefore if cortana was removed Master Chief would be without his arsenal. Also having a limit to what he can summon, for example, a handgun or a rifle would be simple, but something like a transport ship would be impossible. I did think about limiting him to just UNSC weapons, but then realized that the halo sword and the gravity hammer are actually covenant weapons, so that idea was thrown out the window. I'll experiment some more before the next chapter, again thanks for the input.

11283526
After careful consideration I have finally decided on how Master Chiefs summoning power will work. For the beginning of the story, he won't have this power at all, and instead will find a supply crate upon awakening, a gift from the stranger. This crate will contain all the gear he will use for the start of the story, but he will eventually unlock his summoning power later on. I have decided that Cortana will have schematics for everything he can summon, therefore, Cortana is essential for him to summon his arsenal. That way, if Cortana is removed from Master Chiefs helmet, he will lose his power. This strategy will be used against him towards the end of the story. Still deciding on what exactly will be in the crate, but we will definitely see cool gear (most probably no vehicles though, unless some sort of miniature version of the vehicle that grows to the correct size, so he only has one of each vehicle, but still undecided). Hope you enjoy what I have planned.

zmg

I like the concept of this story and the way it's going. So keep up with a good job.

Curious on what will happen next


I wonder if there is any plans with Spike in this?

So, any word on an update? Concerning that there's been nothing said since last year.

11635723
Sorry about that, but when I wrote this first chapter I really only had a rudimentary idea on where the story was going, and since then I've had a bunch of different ideas for it that clash with the original plot, so my plan has been to rewrite this chapter but not release the new version until I have a definite plot line established, which I'm still working on cause I was desperate to release this chapter and then kind of abandoned it to write ideas for other stories, which I know is probably reckless, but I did anyway. I have an idea on how to rewrite it, and give my oc more depth, an actual backstory and a motivation, since before he basically just got dropped into equestria and started murdering bad guys, which made no sense for a character that moments ago had been attending comic con. So my new idea is he's a soldier that dies on the battlefield because he gets betrayed by the US government which gives him justified anger which he directs towards people/ponies he deems irredeemable. Honestly the way I want to write this character makes him out to be more like doom slayer than a Spartan but I've been trying to work around that problem. No clue when the updated version will be released so I wouldn't hold your breath.

11636324
Appreciate the info, boss. More that other authors have given, which most of the time is nothing. Gonna keep my eye out regardless for an update. The premise is something that I can't ignore lol. Keep on keepin on, friend.

Login or register to comment